• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Jito

Banned
Rich Evans really loved the ending on the Previously Recorded Twitch stream...

latest

"This is terrible" XD

Picked it up with a Platinum card from EB so that I may return it within the allotted 7 days. I went in with low expectations and found it started slow and then it began to grow on me. By the time I finished it today I felt as though I was forcing myself to admit how much I enjoyed the whole thing. It feels like it has been long since I played a game that felt as cinematic as this one. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination- but it definitely has a welcome place in the pantheon of games I have enjoyed. Not every release needs to be a thirty five hour stretched journey with branching paths, although I'm sure this has been touched on many a time already.

maverick40

Just completed it an hour ago. I found the game amazing and the length was perfect.

The ending is also perfectly executed for a sequel

DrKelpo

Banned
do/did you guys keep the game?

i played through the game and despite having a little trouble getting into the game in the first hour or so, i really liked it at the end. also got the platinum throphy.

i payed full price for it, which i absolutely dont regret doing, but i ask myself if i should sell it, as long as it goes for a decent price.

i'm a student, so my money to spend on games, is limited, but i like to collect games i like.

=/ i dont know..

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

i played through the game and despite having a little trouble getting into the game in the first hour or so, i really liked it at the end. also got the platinum throphy.

i payed full price for it, which i absolutely dont regret doing, but i ask myself if i should sell it, as long as it goes for a decent price.

i'm a student, so my money to spend on games, is limited, but i like to collect games i like.

=/ i dont know..

Sell it fast if you're going to. The value's tanking.

Number45

GAME in the UK had a deal where I would get £30 back if I returned it by Monday. It was short enough that I platinumed it easily before then, so I traded it (and I imagine trade-in value will go south pretty quickly).

Unless there's DLC, and I want to point out that I enjoyed the game, there's really very little reason to keep hold of it for me.

jackdoe

That makes even less sense. Is this correct as I understand is sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a Doctor.
He's Commissioner Doyle (Lucan mentions him by name). Not a stretch to think he's Arthur Conan Doyle. Way too on the nose for my tastes though. And this is an alternate universe where Marquis de Lafayette fought werewolves so any semblance of historical accuracy goes out the window.

Wakka212

=/ i dont know..

I bought the game digitally and platinumed it by the third day. Honestly, I've replaying different sections I've loved over and over again. I always like getting through sections as perfectly as possible, making everything look like a perfect scene straight out of a movie...it's a weird habit but I do that in just about every game I play haha

I'm personally okay on the financial side at the moment so even if I had purchased a hard copy I wouldn't sell it. If I were you though, I would definitely sell it back asap...even though replaying different parts of the game is a joy, it's not worth it if you're tight on $$. Plus, Bloodborne is out in 3 weeks.

HYPE.

Coconut

Banned
He's Commissioner Doyle (Lucan mentions him by name). Not a stretch to think he's Arthur Conan Doyle. Way too on the nose for my tastes though. And this is an alternate universe where Marquis de Lafayette fought werewolves so any semblance of historical accuracy goes out the window.

I had no idea he was meant to be a real person this story continues to become stupider.

Wait how is he alive in 1886 on his wiki he died at 78 in 1836? and in the Game only given the dark water half way through the game.

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished it. What a ride. Watching the credits roll and the music is epic.

Am I crazy or did they not play the amazing song from the Mayfair theme at all during the game?

Edit: it's the 3rd song played as the credits roll. Sooooo good

BadAss2961

Do stats towards trophies carry over in the 2nd playthrough? Like, if I find the last newspaper or something I missed before, will the trophy unlock immediately?

Melchiah

=/ i dont know..

I've platinumed it as well, and I'm keeping it. I haven't sold a game since 1998, excluding COD4:MW which I got as a subscription gift. I'm also planning to replay it at some point. Hopefully a photo mode will be added at some point, and some additional content, but I'm not holding my breath considering the reception it got.

EDIT:
Do stats towards trophies carry over in the 2nd playthrough? Like, if I find the last newspaper or something I missed before, will the trophy unlock immediately?

Yes, you can find the missing ones via chapter select.

TheFatMan

The stealth section near the end of the game,
the one in the garden
, is, in my opinion, the worst section of a game I have played in years. The stealth in this game is utter garbage.

If I was reviewing this game, this terrible section of gameplay would lower the games score by at least 2 or 3 points.

What a joke.

the one in the garden
, is, in my opinion, the worst section of a game I have played in years. The stealth in this game is utter garbage.
Another quirk of The Order is how its actually much harder/riskier to stealth kill someone when they're completely unaware of your presence than it is to run right into the face of an alerted enemy and take him down with bare fisted Knight-fu.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
the one in the garden

If I was reviewing this game, this terrible section of gameplay would lower the games score by at least 2 or 3 points.

What a joke.
Just use the
crossbow
. It's crazy easy.

Ricky_R

the one in the garden

What a joke.

I enjoyed that part, tbh. What was it that made you hate it that much? The insta-fail, the level design, the AI?

Another quirk of The Order is how its actually much harder/riskier to stealth kill someone when they're completely unaware of your presence than it is to run right into the face of an alerted enemy and take him down with bare fisted Knight-fu.

What? I mean, was it that difficult for you guys to stealth kill in this game? I had no issues whatsoever aside from the lame timing prompt.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
True, though
its a louder option. I used it exclusively on my last run and it always alerted a nearby guard - not that it was much of a problem, but still.
Oh really? Never had that happen. I do agree that the instafail with no chance to silence a guard is BS.

viveks86

Just use the
crossbow
. It's crazy easy.

That particular complaint continues to fascinate me. Rarely is there a situation where some find it extremely easy and others find it extremely frustrating, when the options at hand are so limited and have nothing to do with player skill. For me, that section was the TLOU analogue of a ladder sequence. I think I died once on hard, right at the beginning of the section. And that's about it! I used the
cross bow
till I ran out of ammo and knife killed everyone else. I didn't even know there was a place to refill ammo!

Is it the timed triangle press that people have trouble with? Or did I just get lucky?

Coconut

Banned
the one in the garden

What a joke.

The stealth were what I would call not so quick time events where you mostly just waited around a corner until a person got close enough to be stabbed. I can't think of one time where you might be caught by surprise by a guard in any of those sequences.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That particular complaint continues to fascinate me. Rarely is there a situation where some find it extremely easy and others find it extremely frustrating, when the options at hand are so limited and have nothing to do with player skill. For me, that section was the TLOU analogue of a ladder sequence. I think I died once on hard, right at the beginning of the section. And that's about it! I used the
cross bow
till I ran out of ammo and knife killed everyone else.

Is it the timed triangle press that people have trouble with? Or did I just get lucky?
Yeah, same here. The only times I failed either of the stealth sections were when I was messing around taking screens on replays.

TheFatMan

I just find the mechanics are so bad. The janky quick-time events to stealth-stab a guard and the really weird visual cones of the guards combined with the instant-fail and restarting the ENTIRE process over again just equal out to a really poorly designed level.

I don't mind dying and trying again, that's part of playing a game. But if you're going to use bad mechanics into making me replay a section a few times, at least make that section of game not boring and awkward as hell.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it last night. I really liked the game overall. The shortcomings that it has haven't dampened my enjoyment much in the end, and despite that it's far from perfect, the game is very enjoyable and very memorable. It is also the home to the my favourite weapon in probably any game I can think of - the Thermite gun. What I found interesting is that while the gameplay was full of action, the cutscenes seemed mostly slow exposition and drama. I didn't mind the ending - abrupt as it is, I thought it was well executed.

Am I right in thinking that based on some of the audio recordings
someone high up in the Order has orchestrated the Lycan emergence throughout the London, so that The Order could regain the importance that it once had? They instated the curfew, and became the defacto law, above the police. Or did United India Company orchestrate the Lycan spreading all over the city, to distract the Order from what they were doing with their shipments?

Technically, the game is simply peerless. Not just the best looking realistic visuals of any game, but the overall level of polish is unbelievable, and the really fast initial loading times, followed by no visible loading during the game (despite realtime cutscenes) add to this.

Gestault

That particular complaint continues to fascinate me. Rarely is there a situation where some find it extremely easy and others find it extremely frustrating, when the options at hand are so limited and have nothing to do with player skill.

Is the criticism that it's bad, or that it's hard?

The stealth were what I would call not so quick time events where you mostly just waited around a corner until a person got close enough to be stabbed. I can't think of one time where you might be caught by surprise by a guard in any of those sequences.

I assume people were just being impatient. The patterns are fairly unpredictable and the timing of the button press means its not as simple as getting behind a guard and hitting a win button like most other games with a stealth kill. It wasn't difficult if you took your time and paid attention.

I had no idea he was meant to be a real person this story continues to become stupider.

Wait how is he alive in 1886 on his wiki he died at 78 in 1836? and in the Game only given the dark water half way through the game.

The implication is Lafayette has already had his lifespan extended by the black water. Presumably recruits have the stuff rationed out to them until they are inducted as full knights, at which point they are no longer dependent on anyone for their supply.

Coconut

Banned
I assume people were just being impatient. The patterns are fairly unpredictable and the timing of the button press means its not as simple as getting behind a guard and hitting a win button like most other games with a stealth kill. It wasn't difficult if you took your time and paid attention.

The implication is Lafayette has already had his lifespan extended by the black water. Presumably recruits have the stuff rationed out to them until they are inducted as full knights, at which point they are no longer dependent on anyone for their supply.

I'm saying that the stealth was really simple and boring and wasn't difficult if you took your time or not.

Presume all you want presumptions should be left for things that aren't trying to tell a story which supposedly this was the games main focus.

cool_dude

Banned

=/ i dont know..

Sell it fast before you have to pay to get rid of it (as in seller fees, shipping, etc on Ebay)... rule of supply and demand applies in the used stuff world.

People who bought the premium versions blind for $100+ are probably too emotionally invested to see how bad this game is.

viveks86

Is the criticism that it's bad, or that it's hard?

The criticism is that it's frustrating. It isn't hard by any stretch of the imagination as it really involves very minimal skill. I think if you die, you need to start all the way from the beginning. The thing is, some of us found it so easy that we never died. The whole segment was so unremarkable and inoffensive that I didn't even mention it in my review. It looked great and it had fantastic atmosphere, but that holds true for the entire game. I can't put my finger on the reason for it being such a big complaint. Some theories on why people died often:

• The stealth mechanic (triangle QTE) was difficult to get used to
  • The enemy placement is bad and some of us just got lucky
  • People are actually terrible at stealth and scouting out enemy locations

Can't imagine so many people being bad at something that didn't require that much skill or finesse.

Gestault

The criticism is that it's frustrating. It isn't hard by any stretch of the imagination as it really involves very minimal skill. I think if you die, you need to start all the way from the beginning. The thing is, some of us found it so easy that we never died. The whole segment was so unremarkable and inoffensive that I didn't even mention it in my review. It looked great and it had fantastic atmosphere, but that holds true for the entire game. I can't put my finger on the reason for it being such a big complaint. Some theories on why people died often:

• The enemy placement is bad and some of us just got lucky.

Can't imagine so many people being bad at something that didn't require that much skill or finesse.

To follow up, if you're saying something doesn't require skill, and some are calling it out as being frustrating, isn't that the worst of both worlds? I don't want to presume, but it sounds like you're couching a criticism of people's skill to deflect criticism of something you're saying shouldn't take skill. I can't comment on it specifically, but I've played bad stealth sections in games that weren't challenging, but I still recognized how poorly implemented they were.

Vire

• The enemy placement is bad and some of us just got lucky

It's frustrating because it doesn't allow for experimentation, mostly every stealth game (or games that had stealth mechanics) allow you to attack the situation from multiple directions, using different tactics to find an ideal solution. At least that's what good stealth sequences do.

The Order is staggeringly narrow in terms of how you can approach each level design and the instant failure states only compound that issue.

I want to love this game. However, I'm finding it difficult to even make it past 2 hours in. I feel like I'm playing a slightly more interactive on-rails shooter with not enough shooting.

jet1911

I also found it extremely stupid that Galahad know if a guard has a key or not even when shooting a guard 20 metres away.

That whole section is just a bunch of dumb idea mashed together.

Coconut

Banned
To follow up, if you're saying something doesn't require skill, and some are calling it out as being frustrating, isn't that the worst of both worlds? I don't want to presume, but it sounds like you're couching a criticism of people's skill to deflect criticism of something you're saying shouldn't take skill. I can't comment on it specifically, but I've played bad stealth sections in games that weren't challenging, but I still recognized how poorly implemented they were.

I think he is also missing that it's mostly not fun button pushing or it'll be pushing a button just for the sake of pushing a button to give the illusion of interaction. There's no consequence and the reward of seeing the next cut scene is weak since the story isn't that good it's not even good for an average video game story and that's a low bar to jump.

I never saw it happen but would guards even react if they saw a dead guard?

I also found it extremely stupid that Galahad know if a guard has a key or not even when shooting a guard 20 metres away.

That whole section is just a bunch of dumb idea mashed together.
Don't think that it's the mechanics that made it lame but just the level design and the AI and enemy placements didn't create tension or a sense of accomplishment for doing it right.

Top Bottom