• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

The Lycan encounters were one big disappointment. I actually prefer the QTE ones to the in-game shooting ones. They were just dumb, sadly.

I obtained my platinum after finishing the game for the first time and replaying a few sections for the combat trophies. It is one of the easiest platinum for sure. In term of collectibles, I missed the obvious ones
Archives automatic cutscene trigger
and that's all. I had almost all the collectibles since I took my sweet time with exploring everything.

It is not really a long game and now that I am done, I am thinking of selling it to get some of my money back. I did the same with inFamous after Plat.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The Lycan encounters were one big disappointment. I actually prefer the QTE ones to the in-game shooting ones. They were just dumb, sadly.

I obtained my platinum after finishing the game for the first time and replaying a few sections for the combat trophies. It is one of the easiest platinum for sure. In term of collectibles, I missed the obvious ones
Archives automatic cutscene trigger
and that's all. I had almost all the collectibles since I took my sweet time with exploring everything.

It is not really a long game and now that I am done, I am thinking of selling it to get some of my money back. I did the same with inFamous after Plat.

It would have been a hell of a lot better if the weaponry, player stance and level design changed dynamically the moment lycans turned.

For example, you're fighting human enemies, and you get to use the common lead pissing weapons. As soon as there's a moon in the sky though, the lycans begin to turn, and the Knights switch formations and bring out heavy Tesla weaponry.

The lycans start to crawl on buildings and rails and the gameplay becomes more vertical.

fedexpeon

Banned
I got the CE due to a pricing error over the weekend, and played a bit of it.
And the review scores were hanging over me for the few hours, I can't see why the game was scored a 2/5 while broken games like AC: U and Halo scored in the 8s and 9s.
The game is pretty decent, and the shooting is quite good.
Average, but not as bad as Sonic Boom score would have suggested.

Oh well, we will never fully understand how review scores work.
More publishers should release more broken games and force a tougher review embargo, it looks like that the best way to sell games and get good score.

leng jai

To me it seems like the scores almost completely disregarded the audio/visual aspects and were based purely on length and gameplay (which were indeed in the 6 range). The game is merely okay but the presentation bumps it into the 7 category for me.

Some Nobody

Finished this yesterday after really starting to play it on Saturday night. >_< This game deserved all the 6s it got. It plays like the stereotypical indie game fan seems to think Uncharted (or any AAA TPS, really) does.

The most challenging bits of it were the QTE fights because honestly who moves with the right stick? If I personally had to rate it...

Graphics: 10
Story: 8 (I took two points off for vanity reasons because
well, it's not really about "The Order" anymore, is it?)
Gameplay: 5

Can't really rate the music because I played it at my friends' apartment and it was noisy as shit for one half and the other everyone was asleep so the sound was down.

I'd play a sequel but it definitely needs a complete reworking if they get one. And for what its worth, I don't mean to thread shit for people in here who loved this game. I wanted to love it too, and I'm bummed out that it wasn't great because I'm almost positive a sequel will have some crappy multi-player added in.

Zolbrod

How do you get headshots during blacksight? It seems the game aims at a predetermined point and you can't adjust it.

I have no idea how this works either, but I got the "5 headshots during Blacksight" Trophy for pretty much the first or second skirmish after the mechanic was introduced, so it's probably more accurate than it looks, haha.

NIGHT-

I got the CE due to a pricing error over the weekend, and played a bit of it.
And the review scores were hanging over me for the few hours, I can't see why the game was scored a 2/5 while broken games like AC: U and Halo scored in the 8s and 9s.
The game is pretty decent, and the shooting is quite good.
Average, but not as bad as Sonic Boom score would have suggested.

Oh well, we will never fully understand how review scores work.
More publishers should release more broken games and force a tougher review embargo, it looks like that the best way to sell games and get good score.

Eh? Even with the bugs, which are very minor outside of Mp in halo mcc. It's an insane amount of content in the package. Hell... Any of 4 halo games in the package has way more replay value than the Order. With that said, I still enjoy the game, but it has a lot of issues that are hopefully resolved in the sequel

wouwie

I'm currently around the end of Chapter 10 i think. I got the game on release day but i have been struggling to find motivation to finish the game. In short: i don't like it very much and the only reason i keep going is for the presentation. Which is a shame because i love 3rd person cinematic action adventure games. The Order 1886 seems like a mix of Uncharted and Heavy Rain/Beyond and while i love those games, the mix doesn't work in The Order.

It's a mediocre game wrapped in a beautiful package. It reminds of Dragon's Lair on one side and Cabal on the other side, both games i played on my Amiga many years ago. Everything but the shooting parts is basically pressing a button at the correct time followed by an animation: the stealth sections, the traversal and the QTE cutscenes are all based on that. And i still don't understand why game designers think that this makes a game fun? The shooting parts remind me of Cabal: you sit behind a wall, in cover, and pop up your head to shoot the enemies, who remain mostly static behind their cover (i'm playing on normal). The shooting areas are very small and cramped. The level design and AI are virtually non existant.

I'll probably post a more detailed opinion once finished but i can live with the 65 meta critic score. It's about the same score that i would give. In fact, i'm starting to think that the whole cinematic angle was just an excuse for the game designers lack of ability to design a good game.

This might sound harsh and i do feel for part of the team who did a stellar job with the graphics, sound and music. I definately hope that RAD will get the opportunity to make a sequel. Engine, graphics, music and presentation are all in place. Focus in the sequel should now go to making a good game.

newsguy

Beat it last night. I'd give it a 7 myself. I actually didn't mind the cinematic aspect of watching long cutscenes. I played all 7 hours in a dedicated theater room and the visuals and sound are bar none the best I've ever seen or heard on a console. The sound mix has topped the original Condemned as the best I've heard in a game. You blow up any game to theater size and you're going to find some flaws. This game does not have that problem. The black bars never bothered me (although admittedly I don't mind them when viewing movies either) and if not rendering those portions makes for games that can look like this, put it in all my TPS games (never sports please). As for the ending, the only positive spin I can put on it is that it's clearly setting up a sequel.

How do you get headshots during blacksight? It seems the game aims at a predetermined point and you can't adjust it.

Yeah, it's a bit silly because you can't aim, but if you keep shooting after the reticule's turned red (which usually means 'move on to the next guy') you'll often get a free headshot in.

Ricky_R

Finally beat the game last night... Don't know how I really feel about it to be honest. On one hand you have so much lost potential and some poor design decisions, and on the other you have really fun gunplay with very satisfying weapons. There should've been a lot more shooting segments with a bit more thought put into the encounter design. Still, as simple as the encounters were, the gunplay was just too damn fun, once you got a rhythm going. The atmosphere was second to none, the characters were great, except for a couple of instances where they seemed overly dramatic. Felt out of place to me, maybe because there was
no character development.

I enjoyed the story to be honest, I think it took a nice turn. I didn't mind that
it wasn't really about the Lycans, and that's a good thing btw, considering how insignificant they felt in that first encounter.
I do, however, think that they could've
taken the whole thing slowler. It felt like they wanted to move the story forward in a hurry. They could've explored the order and all characters a lot more. Unless they have a super awesome plan for rogue Galahad, I don't understand why they needed to reach that climax so soon. Providing that there are sequels planned.

About visuals... At first I was a bit turned off about the post processing making the IQ blurry, but from Whitechapel onwards, I couldn't believe my eyes. I honestly haven't seen a game out there that looks this good. It's ridiculous at times. All in all, I enjoyed the game and I REALLY want a sequel, but they really need to work on a lot of stuff if they want to release a great game.

JimPanzer

So I'm currently in chapter 8 I believe:
where you have to defend the westminster bridge

How many hours do I have left approximately? Just want to know if I can finish it today, because a friend wants to borrow my PS4 tomorrow.

Skele7on

Banned
So I sat down on Sunday and played through the whole game on hard.

I loved the game, although the Lycan mechanics and fights ERGH awful hoping if there is a sequel they'll up that game,

would have much preferred a better QTE driven fight than the rapid shoot shoot x shoot shoot thing they did.

Overall I enjoyed the story and loved the build up, what it needed was more, the ending left me wanting so much more from the game.

I would say it's a solid 6/10 I will go back and platinum this as it's super easy to do.

The game has so so much potential and seeing it be wasted is probably why scores were lower, one thing is for sure, it's god damn beautiful.

bombshell

How many hours do I have left approximately? Just want to know if I can finish it today, because a friend wants to borrow my PS4 tomorrow.

You are approximately at the halfway point.

Anyone else appreciate how blazingly fast the game loads up from the main menu? Reminds me of how fast KZ Shadowfall booted up.

Suspend/Resume is really not necessary if majority of games could start up this quick!

dieter

Neo Member
I finished the game over the weekend, and as an older gamer (35) I really loved this game. I guess I shouldn't generalize for all older gamers, but I think this game is perfect for the changing dynamic of older gamers with less time (other obligations). For me the sweet spot for a single player campaign is around 6-8 hours, and this game took me around 7-8 to finish. Combat wasn't too difficult, and while I definitely died a couple of times, the checkpoints were quite generous and I never felt frustrated (this has become more and more important for me in enjoying games over the last couple of years).

I do feel that $60 is a bit high for this game, so I ended up renting it rather, but I would've been very happy buying the game for around $30-$40. This is definitely the most polished game I've played in a very long time, and the developers should be receiving way more praise.

I can see why the more hardcore gamers have issues with this game, but they have dark souls and other games which I won't even touch, however remember that there are other gamers who aren't quite as hardcore and who enjoy easier/more cinematic games.

fedexpeon

Banned
Eh? Even with the bugs, which are very minor outside of Mp in halo mcc. It's an insane amount of content in the package. Hell... Any of 4 halo games in the package has way more replay value than the Order. With that said, I still enjoy the game, but it has a lot of issues that are hopefully resolved in the sequel

I don't buy games for content, I buy games to experience it.
"Contents" can be meaningless hours nowadays e.g: AC Easter eggs hunting gameplay.
And re-playability? Why should that affect anything with review score?
If the 5-6hrs experience is worth it, then that is fine.
Just enjoy that last moment with the game while you are planning to play another game.

Progmetal

I finished the game over the weekend, and as an older gamer (35) I really loved this game. I guess I shouldn't generalize for all older gamers, but I think this game is perfect for the changing dynamic of older gamers with less time (other obligations). For me the sweet spot for a single player campaign is around 6-8 hours, and this game took me around 7-8 to finish. Combat wasn't too difficult, and while I definitely died a couple of times, the checkpoints were quite generous and I never felt frustrated (this has become more and more important for me in enjoying games over the last couple of years).

I do feel that $60 is a bit high for this game, so I ended up renting it rather, but I would've been very happy buying the game for around $30-$40. This is definitely the most polished game I've played in a very long time, and the developers should be receiving way more praise.

I can see why the more hardcore gamers have issues with this game, but they have dark souls and other games which I won't even touch, however remember that there are other gamers who aren't quite as hardcore and who enjoy easier/more cinematic games.

As an older gamer myself, I totally agree with this.

Agreed on almost all points. I'm older with a family and still somehow get into the Demon's Souls games but, this game definitely has it's place and worked well for me given my time constraints. $30 does feel about the right spot for it's price.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I beat the game and am currently writing my review for my blog.

Ultimately, I really enjoyed the experience. I think that Ready At Dawn created exactly what they set out to create, and they did it with incredible skill. As much as I loved the game, I haven't decided if I'm going to recommend it as a "Buy," "Rent," or "Pass" (which is my "grading" scale). I'm still compiling my thoughts.

EDIT: I'm also in my 30's (35), and I just find this type of game right up my alley. It took me about 7-8 hours to complete. It has nothing to do with me being casual or hardcore (I love Demon's/Dark Souls, have Bloodborne pre-ordered, and grew up gaming in the 80's). I just find a tight, linear, short game a nice change of pace from the open world, collectathons that most modern games are. I enjoy variety and different types of experiences. I don't think every game within a genre needs to be cut from the same cloth. As a gamer, I know it's easy to play a game you really like, then want EVERY game to look and play just like that one because you enjoyed it, and an unknown quantity, or different approach can be jarring. The Order isn't Call of Duty, or Gears of War, or Uncharted. It's something very different, despite still being a third person shooter. It has some flaws that I'll address in my review, but some are acting like Ready at Dawn created the game from incompetence, not intentional design.

highrider

Banned

47 here. Completely agree.

Finished this yesterday after really starting to play it on Saturday night. >_< This game deserved all the 6s it got. It plays like the stereotypical indie game fan seems to think Uncharted (or any AAA TPS, really) does.

The most challenging bits of it were the QTE fights because honestly who moves with the right stick? If I personally had to rate it...

Graphics: 10
Gameplay: 5

Can't really rate the music because I played it at my friends' apartment and it was noisy as shit for one half and the other everyone was asleep so the sound was down.

I'd play a sequel but it definitely needs a complete reworking if they get one. And for what its worth, I don't mean to thread shit for people in here who loved this game. I wanted to love it too, and I'm bummed out that it wasn't great because I'm almost positive a sequel will have some crappy multi-player added in.
Sound for me is easily a 9.

And yes, they really have to change a lot to the gameplay and the gameplay/ cutscene ratio. But i think they can do it. The engine is solid and i guess they learned a lot from making this game and the reactions to the game.

The normal Lycan encounters were absolutely embarrassing. Astounding. Not just in gameplay but also in animation,.. Everything. Worst parts of the game imo.
I kinda liked the elder QTE fights. They were entertaining and had a sense of life or death to them. Spoiler:
Shame they used the same fight twice
. Big spoiler:
One being the final fight...

AkuMifune

Banned
I really wanted to love The Order, especially with so many people shitting on it because of all the babies Ready at Dawn sacrificed apparently, but it's hard to love it. It is easy to like it though, and I think I like it a lot.

I can see how some people wanted RAD to pick a direction, either go full QTE or full TPS. But I can also see how they tried to marry the two. It's commendable but doesn't entirely work. There are people who love Quantic Dream games and there are people who love Epic games, but hard to find the cross-section of people who will take a game that tries both. I'm in that camp though and will be thinking about this game a lot this year I think, where it went wrong, why so many people have an agenda against it (and they do, just as it felt they did against Beyond: Two Souls). Glad I bought the game and hope it does well enough for a sequel, but will be trading it in. Hopefully someone else will get my copy at a reduced price and find things to appreciate in it. it deserves better than the hate parade it's getting right now for sure.

Sound for me is easily a 9.

And yes, they really have to change a lot to the gameplay and the gameplay/ cutscene ratio. But i think they can do it. The engine is solid and i guess they learned a lot from making this game and the reactions to the game.
I just hope they won't put presentation as the top priority this time. The graphics look too good while gameplay can't keep up with graphics. Hell, what were they thinking when designing lycan fights? They were plain bad and awful :O

BadAss2961

There's this ray of sunlight that shines through a window, through a corridor in chapter 9. Best piece of graphics i've ever seen.

Chapter 9 is awesome in general.

Fnord

This may have been brought up previously, but having just finished the game:

Isn't it pretty odd that the core concept of the game is "Knights versus Half-breeds," where the half-breeds are bestial enemies, but the game is a 3rd person shooter?

It made sense in Gears of War, where the Locust are gun toting semi-intelligent beings, but in the Order the Half-breeds can only run and swipe at the player. It makes for a narrative full of conceits, just so you can fight other gun wielding human enemies.

It also means any future The Order 1886 games have to keep coming up with reasons for Galahad to be killing humans.

If the Order exists purely to fight against half-breeds, then shouldn't combat with half-breeds be built as the core mechanic of the game? Not a few tacked on moments with little challenge.

Alternatively, if they knew the majority of opponents in the game would be gun wielding, then shouldn't the Order exist with a more general goal to keep the peace in Europe, or something along those lines. At least then the mass human slaughter won't seem so tangential.

But the core concept of the game isn't knights vs. halfbreeds. That's the core concept behind The Order itself, but the narrative merely uses it as a jumping off point. The primary thrust of the story revolves around a few of the knights dealing with rebels because of a suspected conspiracy.

Lnkn52

So I finally completed the game just now. Love the game, I just hope we get a chance to see this story/series continue cause that ending left me wanting more.

Don't know if this has been asked, but do we know why Igraine has scars on her neck?

The most challenging bits of it were the QTE fights because honestly who moves with the right stick?

That threw me off at first as well, but the reason the dodge is on the right stick is because you are able to move around during the fight with the left stick.

It's about
the decay of the original Order and (perhaps) how a new Order was formed in response.

Artex

Banned
Finally finished, this game was amazing. It played unlike any other game, it was like playing a movie the way it unfolded. I'm starting a second playthrough.

Finally finished, this game was amazing. It played unlike any other game, it was like playing a movie the way it unfolded. I'm starting a second playthrough.

I played through it twice and got all the trophies. Genuinely enjoyed my time with the game, but I don't really see myself going back to it, which is the problem with all cinematic games that are heavily scripted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They were entertaining and had a sense of life or death to them.

My first impression was strong due to the presentation, but that sense of life or death dissipated when I realised how simple and broken they were. It's a real shame because they could have kept it more or less exactly as they are and have the AI actually, you know, fight back and have varied attack/defend patterns.

jediyoshi

This may have been brought up previously, but having just finished the game:

Isn't it pretty odd that the core concept of the game is "Knights versus Half-breeds," where the half-breeds are bestial enemies, but the game is a 3rd person shooter?

It made sense in Gears of War, where the Locust are gun toting semi-intelligent beings, but in the Order the Half-breeds can only run and swipe at the player. It makes for a narrative full of conceits, just so you can fight other gun wielding human enemies.

It also means any future The Order 1886 games have to keep coming up with reasons for Galahad to be killing humans.

If the Order exists purely to fight against half-breeds, then shouldn't combat with half-breeds be built as the core mechanic of the game? Not a few tacked on moments with little challenge.

Alternatively, if they knew the majority of opponents in the game would be gun wielding, then shouldn't the Order exist with a more general goal to keep the peace in Europe, or something along those lines. At least then the mass human slaughter won't seem so tangential.

This is such a bizarre post. You realize these characters aren't aware that they're in a third person shooter, right? You keep switching between "they" as in the developers and "they" as in literally the characters within the context of the game's lore. The vast majority of anything Grayson is doing in this game is already 'off the record' and not officially sanctioned by the Order itself.

nib95

Banned
Lots of excellent impressions on this page. Can anyone post what they would consider the best guide for collecting all the extras? Want to get that platinum!

Bishop89

just finished it.

Loved every moment of it.

But I agree with everyone that
the lycan fights were very lame/simple/easy

I loved the build up of the music for the after credits bit, but I just didn't really get the point of that whole scene.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the sequel (if it ever gets one)

funkypie

Banned

There are 16 chapters but gameplay wise you're done by chapter 11. You got about 90 minutes left.

AkuMifune

Banned
Also finished. Also platinumed. Also really liked. The only other game I've ever platinumed was Heavy Rain, so that probably says a lot about why I liked it. heh.

It does feel like there were branching paths at some point. Even the ending feels like a choice that was stripped out. Maybe I'm wrong. It would have gone a long way towards alleviating some of the issues people have with this game though.

Top Bottom