• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Okay played some more and while i enjoying the game it has some very big flaws .

1.They are way to many button prompts and it hurt the overall look and feel of the game .

2. They should have really put more work into the hand to hand combat cause it no fun using it.
Also context sensitive game play takes to long or just done badly it should have been more free flowing like UC or TLOU.

3. Not being to move fast \ quick during the lantern sections was stupid and annoying .

4.The force stealth sections could have been done much better game play wise and should be more free flowing .

5.To many QTE that should have been just pure game play for eg the elder lycan fight .

6. The shooting game play is good but the AI and some of the stage designs hurt it and lacking .

Will play some more and come back .

i wonder if the split attitudes on 1886 fall around mostly age. Many of the posts in this topic are the most mature, reasoned and restrained ones I see on this site and dare I say it probably there are more than the average number of mature players posting here.

I wonder if some of the more negative reviewers are simply aware their demographic skews to teenage males. They know this audience are not as interested in texture, cinematics or slow pacing, and are writing the most negative stuff with that audience in mind.

Maybe there is a market for an cadre of old farts to review games from the perspective of married guys with responsibilites and past their twitch reflex prime. No offense. But it does seem a game more suited to a higher age average than normal.

I'm 18 and I really liked the game. Not every game needs to be explosive set piece after set piece. That said, from talking to a lot of my PSN friends who are 15ish and pretty much solely play COD/GTA/Minecraft, they were not interested at all. Although, it was the lack of multiplayer that turned them off rather than anything else.

Get your PS4 replaced if it's in warranty. If not try and clean it (the vents between the top bottom layers) and make sure it has adequate space for airflow at the back and sides. When you get black spots like that it usually means your VRAM is failing.

its a launch us model which is out of 12 month warranty. How much a repair out of pocket??

i wonder if the split attitudes on 1886 fall around mostly age. Many of the posts in this topic are the most mature, reasoned and restrained ones I see on this site and dare I say it probably there are more than the average number of mature players posting here.

I wonder if some of the more negative reviewers are simply aware their demographic skews to teenage males. They know this audience are not as interested in texture, cinematics or slow pacing, and are writing the most negative stuff with that audience in mind.

Maybe there is a market for an cadre of old farts to review games from the perspective of married guys with responsibilites and past their twitch reflex prime. No offense. But it does seem a game more suited to a higher age average than normal.

Not sure, obviously there'll be exceptions on both sides. Though I'd say if anything, younger gamers would be more used to cinematic heavy games since the PS1 era had very few cutscenes in games outside RPGs.

For what it's worth, I'm 27 and loving The Order so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's definitely some good stuff here that could really shine if fleshed out.

I absolutely loved the stealth section at night, for instance, with a thick atmosphere and just beautiful map design. I had a good time playing through it even BUT it's clear that it was never fleshed out properly. Guards have a basic patrol pattern but getting caught results in insta-death - which, of course, means that reactionary AI is unnecessary. Without it, the situation feels far too narrow when it could have been one of the more interesting and dynamic sequences. Of course, that's a tall order as implementing the necessary AI would have been a lot of extra work and clearly wouldn't have been possible this time out.

Honestly, I wish there had been a greater back and forth between stealth and action not unlike The Last of Us as I feel they could have created some really slick sequences.

But it does seem a game more suited to a higher age average than normal.
In the day of kids watching people play games on Youtube this seems like a good fit. :p

I do think this game is ultimately rather similar to something like Max Payne 3 in terms of pacing. Now, MP3 features more fleshed out combat sequences and better mechanics all around but it is paced just like The Order. Nearly every combat sequence is book-ended with cutscenes and some of those scenes can be quite lengthy. It's very much focused on the story telling just like The Order.

It's also very much in line with older games like The Bouncer and Berserk (Sword of the Berserk) for the Dreamcast where it's pretty much just cutscene -> gameplay -> cutscene for the duration of the experience with each action sequence feeling relatively short. At least The Order is more seamlessly weaved together - The Bouncer always suffered from pauses between every single action scene with level up and save prompts appearing every time.

levitan

I have not posted in NeoGaf for ages, but just posting today because I feel kina of sad seeing "reviewers" and "critics" trashing this game...7.5 out of 10 I can accept...but 5 and 6...just WTF? The graphic aside, the attention to details the developers have put into this game is insane. No bugs whatsoever. The story is great (thought incomplete), gunplay is great, sound effects and music are outstanding.

This game leaves me wanting for more. It is short but it has its quality. I hope Ready at Dawn will get to make the sequel so I can have more of this
arthurian/lycan/vampires/NWO
story. This is the kind of game that tells me to ignore reviewers and metacritic.

Marvel

could never
Too short I was enjoying it! hungry for the sequel.

A great new IP, just needs more shootbang and a longer length.

Zukkoyaki

I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the game :)

It's no doubt without flaws, some pretty significant, but damn is it a fun ride! I'm also hopeful for a sequel.

pip77

I'm loving the game so far. Started slow but it's picking up. I stopped for the night.....
right after laying Isabeau down on the hospital bed

Maybesew

Just finished the game. First game in a long time that I picked up when the store opened at 10 am and played until finished in the same day. I understand that reviewers like to be critical, but I feel like this game isn't getting any credit for the accomplishments it made. The graphics make infamous look like a PS3 game imo and that's what I thought was the best looking game on ps4 so far. In addition to that, the performance is solid and so is the gameplay. It may be of limited quantity, and some people may hate QTE, but I actually enjoyed gliding in and out of cut scene, QTE, cover shooter seamlessly over and over.

There may be some in there but I didn't encounter any bugs.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I Doubt it will be in any game of the year discussions, but it doesn't deserve all of the criticism it's receiving.

its a launch us model which is out of 12 month warranty. How much a repair out of pocket??
You have deleted and reinstalled the game data I imagine. Could it maybe have been the day one patch screwing something up?.. I dont think you can delete patches on PS4 but you can cancel them from downloading by disconnecting from the internet when you reinstall the game. Maybe you could try that. Delete your install data and reinstall it with the internet switched off. If it works it would at least narrow the problem down if its not your PS4. Just throwing out some ideas. I would be going mad if I had that issue.

Ya know, the materials and graphical style of this bears some resemblance to PT, the more I think about it.

I think up until this, that was the most "real" looking game to me in terms of textures and shaders.

Dominator

Just beat it. This is a solid 8.5/10 for me, I enjoyed just about all of it except for the stealth section. The story definitely could have been better but the end of this got me wanting a sequel pretty badly. I'm in for the future of this franchise (if it keeps going), and I think the sequel potential is outrageous. Either way, I can't wait to see what Ready at Dawn does next.

I somehow didn't get a kill with every weapon. I have no clue what it is and its gonna drive me nuts lol got every other trophy.

Hopey

Just beat it. This is a solid 8.5/10 for me, I enjoyed just about all of it except for the stealth section. The story definitely could have been better but the end of this got me wanting a sequel pretty badly. I'm in for the future of this franchise (if it keeps going), and I think the sequel potential is outrageous. Either way, I can't wait to see what Ready at Dawn does next.

I somehow did get a kill with every weapon. I have no clue what it is and its gonna drive me nuts lol got every other trophy.

Yeah I just beat it as well, it definitely does not deserve anything lower than a 7.

Zukkoyaki

I somehow did get a kill with every weapon. I have no clue what it is and its gonna drive me nuts lol got every other trophy.

That trophy popped for me and I was actually confused. I could have sworn there was one pistol that I never even picked up, let alone used, so needless to say it caught me off guard haha. No complaints!

GreedZen

Banned
I wrote everything below but decided to watch interviews from announcement til now of RAD staff members, but mainly Ru (CEO/Creative Director), before I hit submit.
Having done so, I feel the game we have now is the game he (Ru) is currently capable of making. More so, he didn't seem that interested in making a game, instead he wanted to tell a story; videogames just happened to be the medium through which he could tell it. I now firmly believe that whether he admits it or not, if afforded the opportunity, he'd have made a movie or TV series first, a videogame would have been brawta (a bonus).

nb Instead of deleting my previous train of thought, I added post interview edits.

Atmosphere and visuals only go so far. What happened to the talk about soft-body physics as it related to deformation and destruction? What about supernatural elements beyond Lycans? What about the rich exploration of lore or Victorian city life? All of those things were bandied about as people where searching for what made this game special. It's one thing to know what you were getting, but it's another to know and yet still be disappointed. Maybe reaching some numerical value on your own is hard, but can you really look at the Metacritic score and say it's truly unrepresentative?

The level of graphical fidelity they went for clearly cut them off at the knees. Creating those assets, creating those environments and getting a fairly solid frame-rate must have taken quite some time. The time and resources left over would have been very limited to integrate all what they probably (hopefully) had planned; I imagine a lot of ideas were left on the board.

Let's break down one thing that could have been done to improve the experience and why it most likely wasn't:
More enemies/monsters = more modeling, AI, level design (unless they implement heavy backtracking), optimization, more story to explain the presence of said enemies and the list goes on. Without a money pit, those and other things (co-op, competitive multiplayer, etc) could not be completed in a reasonable period of time.

As for completion time and what not; imagine how little game-play would be left in The Order if: Cut-scenes were not interactive and instead of having players walk down a hall to transition between cut-scenes, a fade or other transition effect was used. It would be even shorter than it already is. One cannot help but feel such things were done to pad out "play" time (edit: wrong, that's how Ru wanted it, or so he says)

It's sad to think that if graphics had been a lower priority and others such as AI, level design and game-play mechanics had been higher, The Order could have harnessed so much more of it's potential and truly been a great game. Then again, maybe not, creative, directorial and production may not have been up to the task (edit: seems I was right).

Ya know, the materials and graphical style of this bears some resemblance to PT, the more I think about it.

I think up until this, that was the most "real" looking game to me in terms of textures and shaders.
Did PT use a film grain as well? I think it did. Cant remember.

But yes I agree that it has a similar look to it.

Did PT use a film grain as well? I think it did. Cant remember.

yeah it did, a heavy one too

silent_hills_pt_screen_20140821_06.jpg

hitmon

gonna try it round my friends tomorrow. I am stupidly angry because its only this game :(

It does seem like an issue with the system. I had a scare with MLB last year where the screen went mostly green while playing, but it hasn't happened since. Good luck with your system.

Just starting Ch.9, but just wanted to say I don't understand the stealth section complaints. I know there's more stealth in the next chapters ahead so I'm not sure if it's completely different but I had zero problems in the airship sequence at least. In fact it was a pretty welcome change of pace actually, I quite enjoyed it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like it so far. It looks beautiful minus terrible small subtitles.
Also, are characters in this game daywalking vampires? So many polishd and reflective items, yet no reflection of main character at all.

Having just played the first 40 minutes (gotta go to bed now), the lack of character reflections is what stuck out most to me. I guess when they make the game look this good, these minor things stick out just that much more.

I'm happy at the reviews. They deflated my hype and made me go in expecting the worse but I honestly am entertained right now. I can say that I've gotten more enjoyment out of this so far more than TEW and KZ:SF.

Dominator

That trophy popped for me and I was actually confused. I could have sworn there was one pistol that I never even picked up, let alone used, so needless to say it caught me off guard haha. No complaints!
Yup I had to use one of the pistols. It was the one with rapid fire and terrible recoil. I think I had picked it up and tried to kill someone, then when I saw the recoil I picked up another pistol and never used that other POS again lol

Got the Platinum now though. Fastest one I ever got!

For me it was the shotgun in the kitchen of the blimp
Ah yes, I considered it might be a shotgun. I went for the pistols first and I'm glad I did lol

Just starting Ch.9, but just wanted to say I don't understand the stealth section complaints. I know there's more stealth in the next chapters ahead so I'm not sure if it's completely different but I had zero problems in the airship sequence at least. In fact it was a pretty welcome change of pace actually, I quite enjoyed it.
You will understand very soon. But to go back on what I said about them, its not that the sequence was bad, it was just a mechanic of the game that annoyed me. It was just the one stealth section out of the entire game.

People just really suck at them.

I'm happy at the reviews. They deflated my hype and made me go in expecting the worse but I honestly am entertained right now. I can say that I've gotten more enjoyment out of this so far more than TEW and KZ:SF.

me to I feel like i was over hyped from the gaf thread but that balanced the living shit out of my expectations and now i can just have fun with it.

Just played and finished it in one go. Then again I think that's how this game should be played. It's a good ass rental that's for sure.

I will give praise to the presentation, actors and soundtrack. Those are awfully top notch and Ready At Dawn really pulled off what they intended from the start (however you guys may take it).

Story wise, I'm not even mad about it. I had worse experiences when it comes to cliffhangers and unresolved plot points in all kinds of media anyway.

Also stealth sections, no just no... it was pointless and it never should have happened.

Three

Don't know to be honest. I know they did a flat fee repair in the past but I think it was pricy, $149 in the US, or something like that. Don't know if they still do it. You might still be eligible for the protection plan that gives you a 3(+2) year warranty for $59. So if the hardware actually does fail or is failing you can get it replaced.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You know, I really agree with this review. The game didn't click with reviewers, yeah, but I think they definitely are shooting for something that's not quite in the market place.

Thanks! When I was trying to figure out what to say about the game, I couldn't quite figure out what about The Order was nagging away at the back of my head, then it hit me. In the 2.5 hours I played, it wasn't beating me over the head with quips, over the top gore, extravagant set pieces, etc, etc. It was 2.5 hours of setting mood and tone. Walking down immaculately detailed environments with minimal interaction and just soaking in the atmosphere. It's incredibly risky. Yes, they did put story and presentation over traditional gameplay, but I feel the game is gameplay nonetheless. Not every TPS has to be the same Uncharted/Gears/TLOU clone. I can appreciate that.

I can also appreciate that some people just wanted to fuck up some werewolves in 1886 Victorian London, so I can totally understand their disappointment. I just really love different types of games, and can dig a TPS that isn't cookie cutter and traditional.

I picked up Wolfenstein in the critics sale and I know that game gets a lot of love here, and decent review scores, but for me so far, gunplay excepted, it is childish and awful: cheap deaths, very average graphics engine, appalling dialogue and a story so un-interesting that after two scenes I was pushing square to skip (not all scenes are skippable, because you are often given locked-in syndrome, in the engine).

Pretty much matching my thoughts of Wolfenstein here. I liked the shooting, but for all it has been lauded, the rest of it was awful.

I didn't really find the next stealth section too bad either. Just have to take it slow, and use what you're given effectively. I do wish there was some sort of fail-state to the stealth sections. Even a QTE 50% of the time you get caught or something could make it less frustrating, if the devs don't allow you to go loud after getting caught.

Don't know to be honest. I know they did a flat fee repair in the past but I think it was pricy, $149 in the US, or something like that. Don't know if they still do it. You might still be eligible for the protection plan that gives you a 3(+2) year warranty for $59. So if the hardware actually does fail or is failing you can get it replaced.

Cheers I will look into that, I thought you had to buy it within a year though. So fed up

the stealth section wasn't bad i played it on hard and burned through those sections pretty quickly but lawd the small corridor battles on hard are a pain lol

I was caught off guard how aggressive shotgunners are..i kinda love aggressive ai that actually tries to flank you

Just finished it in one sitting. Took me 6 hours, 17 minutes. Played on Hard with aim assist off, and I got every collectable except for a one or two inspect objects and audio logs. How anyone can get 10+ hours out of this is beyond me. Anyway, some pros and cons:

+Gunplay is superb, with satisfying sound effects and enemy hit reactions.
+Aiming is superb - whatever they did with the sensitivity/deadzone/acceleration curve makes aiming buttery smooth.
+Presentation is outstanding; game immediately hits you in the face with what it is and maintains a consistent level of quality.
+Fantastic graphics and sound. The sound effect for the repeating shotgun is one of the best weapon sounds in video game history.

+/- Encounter design is generally decent, but never really rises up to become something special. While there weren't any gunfights I actively disliked, none of them really got me on the edge of my seat.
+/- Some choices with the story will be hotly debated.

-Pacing between gameplay and cutscenes is just off. It's never consistent, and sections where control is continually seized from the player are a drag.
-I'm not going to harp on the length, but it's still a bummer that there's no replay value to make up for it. Something like Uncharted 2's cheat menu would have gone fucking miles here.

I see The Order as a fusion of game and film. I would argue both the gameplay and cutscenes range from good to great, but problems exist with how the two are stitched together. Smoother pacing would have tightened things up a bit. If RAD takes criticism to heart, The Order: 1887 will be fucking amazing.

Says the guy who enjoyed ryse. Anyway haven't played the order yet hope to a little later down the line.

No need for this, he's playing it and giving his opinion and you haven't even played it.

Haha its solid but Gears is better man

guh

Homie compared The Order to Gears 0_0

I'm out peeps.

Please, when you say 'you're out', mean it.

I was wondering this too, seems strange if you cant but I couldnt get it to play outside of the archive, will listen to them another time, not that ive found many so far :(

I find that annoying, they could let you listen to them as you walk around the room you found it in. I love it when 'archive recordings' let me start it playing, then continue with the game while I can still listen to it, it draws me into the world more.

totally disagree here, the engine does suck though lol

Don't get me wrong, I loved W: TNO, not knocking it. I just didn't like the whole package.

onesvenus

Having finished it I am absolutely in love.
It's short that's true but what a ride. I can't think of any recent game that feels so polited on its technical presentation. It really shows craftmanship wherever you look at.
Of course it's short, RAD must have spent a lot of time preparing it's PBR pipeline but now that they have and that they have a very good universe bring on the sequel. I really have the sensation that in the end this will be seen as the start of an amazing saga, that is if the sales guarantee a sequel (and I really hope so)

Top Bottom