• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

There are some pretty serious design issues and some strange oversights that I know some find unforgivable.

I hope RAD (OneLetter, post if you're okay) can see through much of the nonsense that permutes the criticisms regarding this game ( pls don't read Eurogamer's trash about branching narrative choices ), and see the areas of the game where it's really a matter of "if we did option A instead of B, it could've gone a long way in making the game feel better."

Eg. I'm sure I can criticize them a ton on stuff like lack of dynamic AI, more enemy variety, wanting better lycan encounters, better combat arena designs, but that's basic stuff that any designer will know (improve the foundation of all existing aspects), but none of that are things they could've changed in the last 6 months of development.

For better or worse, there were some things they decided upon, and to meet the release milestone, that's what they have to go with.

But for stuff like how aggressively the camera cuts when executing melee? How unnecessarily lengthy some melee take-downs are? How there's prompts for practically everything? How the tutorials keep popping up? How stealth take-downs require timed presses? How there's what I feel are unnecessary prompts in some cutscenes? (using only the blackwater prompt in the lycan E3 trailer as an example )

All these are things that are a lot more flexible to adjust during development, and I feel like with all of the above, they made a wrong design choice. If they had made better design choices for all of the above, I feel like that could've easily added a 0.5 to the score average, just by reducing the small annoyances.

If I look at another game for example, that I think small design choices could had drastically affected the impressions of that game... I think TLoU for example. I look at back TLoU, and I see a game that practically avoided almost every bad design choice feasible. Had Ellie been discoverable, I think a lot of people would've found the combat and stealth to be frustrating more than tense. Imagine if every dialogue prompts with Ellie turned into a cutscene with a highly directed camera moment instead of just having it talk during gameplay.

It's in all the little things.

Game certainly has some problems, it feels like an amalgamation of little details that RAD got wrong, I mean, things like the only walking parts, the pointless examine the object parts (mainly the letters that you can barely read - at least make the characters talk about it/have some insightful commentary, anything), the can't take cover with the lantern part, the useless collectables. It hasn't ruined the experience for me so far, but its something that would be very easily fixed if they take a look at players feedback. Thats mainly why I share the hopes that this sells well so that we can have a much improved sequel (hopefully). Will continue playing tomorrow, stopped at chapter 8.

Definitely. Fuck that lantern part. That's just a terrible gameplay choice, honestly.

I love Galahad though. It's been a while since I got to play as a protagonist I actively liked and cheered on. Well... not a while. I liked BJ in Wolfenstein a lot. And Amanda Ripley, well, I just wanted her to live. But I really like Galahad.

I agree on the Lycan encounters, the ones so far aren't particularly innovative

Seventy70

I'm really liking the guns and the gunplay. I think a multiplayer mode could have been really nice and added some more value to the game. Especially if there were a few more weapons like the tesla and thermite guns.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I think a big problem with the pacing maybe isn't the amount of cutscenes or their length, but just where they are placed. Like maybe if it were organized a bit more like Uncharted, with a cutscene at the beginning and end of a chapter, and anything in between using those walk n talk kinda in-game cutscenes. But as it is it's full on proper cutscenes sometimes every 5-10 min It's taking away control too often. Comparatively, a game like MGS4 basically has a fucking movie every so often, but they are separated by like 30-45 min of gameplay.

Edit: maybe that's why the intro of the game feels worse than the middle/later parts of the game. Later on you get plenty of big combat areas often, and with plenty of enemies. While in the beginning it's basically two hours of cutscene and very light gameplay.

I played right up until the cutscene after the
Lycan sequence
so even though I haven't put much time in, I think the best way to describe the game to someone would be that it's Uncharted + Heavy Rain + Gears of War.

I'm digging it so far and I love the presentation style but my God, biggest complain by far is the melee. I was expecting a Last Of Us style of brutal, bloody takedowns worth the risk of bum rushing a shooting enemy or at the very least an Uncharted sort of thing.
This though... It's so weak and underwhelming. It really is disappointing.

Other than that, everything else is sound, I'm looking forward to jumping back in tomorrow some time.

A_Gorilla

Banned
you try bitching at support yet?

A friend of my game didn't come in yet and he went off on them and now getting the order for free now.

edit: Nvm 1 year of prime is good also

If it was just the regular $60 game I would have, but this was the $150 Premium Edition. I don't think even Amazon's compassion runs THAT deep,

1337Sauce

While I do have some problems with this game, I have come out absolutely floored. It took me about eight hours or so to finish, but that definitely did include me taking my sweet time, and I see how it could be much shorter.

However, coming from somebody who has spent the last couple years studying history (with many English history classes specifically), I can't get enough of this game. Everything about it just appeals to me, and the collectibles have proven to be even more intriguing since they reference many events that did actually occur, just with a different twist on them.

On top of this, I loved the way that the story was presented, even with the excessive amount of cutscenes. I have always loved cutscenes in videogames, and this literally just takes it to the next level. While I can see many, many people being turned away by the amount of time that they spend either showing action sequences in the scenes themselves (instead of letting you play it), or simply just spending time talking, I was always entertained by what was going on, and frankly, couldn't get enough. I personally don't care if they put five hours of cutscenes in. Make them good, entertaining, and fun to watch, and I'll will be extremely happy.

Don't get me wrong, this game does have some very serious design flaws, and I am absolutely not defending them. However, I will defend the entertainment that I believe this game provides, IF you know what to expect. I decided that I would be buying the game regardless of reviews, and I am so, so, so happy that I did. In my opinion, this is a game that you don't want to pass up, especially, if you value storytelling in a game, or if the themes, atmosphere, or setting appeal to you at all. Gameplay wise, I can see how many people have been left wanting more, but, I feel like this game has hit all of the right notes for me personally.

Literally about to begin my second playthrough right now.

Just finished up... awesome story for what it is, looked fucking amazing at times, the weapons were cool af, some great moments (
bridge rampage
was the best I think) and I want more of this world/these characters. I took a few smoke breaks, took in the sights, died a few times (checkpoints are extremely liberal, no setbacks) on normal and it took me 9 hrs:

GkxkAtB.png

That guy who did it in 5 hrs must've been on meth imo. Either way, the content here is very well paced and filler free. I'm a big Evil Within fan, but this is a stark contrast to that game dragging on (and taking forever to load when I die or restart). Lotta QTE's, some were silly and some opportunities were missed for good ones, but idc. Maybe I don't play enough cinematic games to be burnt out on them, but it felt fun to me most of the time.

The amount of uniforms Gallahad dons is pure action figure/cosplay bait. If this was a flick, I'd really praise the "costume designer" - Also, I fucking love that object inspection thing. The texture fidelity was like O_O and I swear, if someone made cinecam, realism, weapon overhaul and texture mods that were able to do that in the next Fallout game, I'd be all over it.

Definitely agreed with whoever's saying the text was small. Had to lean in to read. It's probably fine on like a 55" TV or something, but I dunno. I'm rolling with 32"

I think a big problem with the pacing maybe isn't the amount of cutscenes or their length, but just where they are placed. Like maybe if it were organized a bit more like Uncharted, with a cutscene at the beginning and end of a chapter, and anything in between using those walk n talk kinda in-game cutscenes. But as it is it's full on proper cutscenes sometimes every 5-10 min It's taking away control too often. Comparatively, a game like MGS4 basically has a fucking movie every so often, but they are separated by like 30-45 min of gameplay.

The other issue I find with the cutscenes is that they are used sometimes for things that could have been gameplay. Like they have cutscenes where a character is walking with another and they are just chatting, instead of having it as a cutscene actually give control to the player and allow them to reach the next area they are supposed to go to, not get them there with a cutscene

Has anyone find out why the fuck you can't listen to audio logs while walking around? What is the use of said audio logs when you have to stay in the damn menu with the text to listen to them? These small things bother me more than I thought. And no puzzles a la Resident Evil is a bummer too. Could have made the whole packet a little more refreshing. I hope RAD gets a second chance and finds a better Game Director this time because that's clearly what the sequel needs the most.
This isn't ND, it's not like RAD would just let Dana Jan go because the game bombed critically since he's been with them through multiple successful GOW games, and the guy who wrote the story is also the CEO. I think getting it out on time for release might have been a factor in how the game turned out in terms of design, although it doesn't excuse Jan's shitty design sensibilities.

While I do have some problems with this game, I have come out absolutely floored. It took me about eight hours or so to finish, but that definitely did include me taking my sweet time, and I see how it could be much shorter.

However, coming from somebody who has spent the last couple years studying history (with many English history classes specifically), I can't get enough of this game. Everything about it just appeals to me, and the collectibles have proven to be even more intriguing since they reference many events that did actually occur, just with a different twist on them.

On top of this, I loved the way that the story was presented, even with the excessive amount of cutscenes. I have always loved cutscenes in videogames, and this literally just takes it to the next level. While I can see many, many people being turned away by the amount of time that they spend either showing action sequences in the scenes themselves (instead of letting you play it), or simply just spending time talking, I was always entertained by what was going on, and frankly, couldn't get enough. I personally don't care if they put five hours of cutscenes in. Make them good, entertaining, and fun to watch, and I'll will be extremely happy.

Don't get me wrong, this game does have some very serious design flaws, and I am absolutely not defending them. However, I will defend the entertainment that I believe this game provides, IF you know what to expect. I decided that I would be buying the game regardless of reviews, and I am so, so, so happy that I did. In my opinion, this is a game that you don't want to pass up, especially, if you value storytelling in a game, or if the themes, atmosphere, or setting appeal to you at all. Gameplay wise, I can see how many people have been left wanting more, but, I feel like this game has hit all of the right notes for me personally.

Literally about to begin my second playthrough right now.

You summed up a lot of how I feel. I've only played a few hours but I think, I appreciate this more as an EXPERIENCE than I do as a game. Don't get me wrong, I certainly feel it's a fine game, I am having fun with it. But the presentation just takes everything to another level.

It reminds me a lot of when I saw Avatar. If I had to pick apart the typical movie elements (plot, acting, etc) it's certainly average at best, but as an EXPERIENCE it was a 12/10. Completely blew me away the first time I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Seventy70

I definitely think there's potential for a nice sequel. They just need to open up the gameplay a little bit and add some more variety. It would be cool if it allowed you to go to different places in the city with fast travel. Maybe throw in side missions and other activities. They already are doing a good job of immersing you in the world, but imagine if they opened it up more and allowed you to visit different areas at will. The world is perfect for that.

We could be looking at a 10/10 game if they did that.

Fury451

Banned
There's some issues here, especially with the constant breaks and taking away player control, even though the cutscenes are really well done....but open up the enemy encounters, add more variety, and space out some cutscenes more, and I'd buy a sequel instantly.

Fantastic game so far, engaging story, beautiful to look at, and a lot of world building via the details. Gameplay is serviceable, needs more dynamic gunplay, but it can be very fun at times, despite being a bit to basic.

Happy with my purchase.

ChawlieTheFair

The other issue I find with the cutscenes is that they are used sometimes for things that could have been gameplay. Like they have cutscenes where a character is walking with another and they are just chatting, instead of having it as a cutscene actually give control to the player and allow them to reach the next area they are supposed to go to, not get them there with a cutscene

yeah this might be part of it. Cause the thing is I actually like cutscenes in games, they are sorta of a lil treat like when you beat a boss/get to the end of a level. But in the Order they are so frequent that they sorta lose their enjoyment?

tuna_love

Banned
Just finished up... awesome story for what it is, looked fucking amazing at times, the weapons were cool af, some great moments (
bridge rampage
was the best I think) and I want more of this world/these characters. I took a few smoke breaks, died a few times (checkpoints are extremely liberal, no setbacks) on normal and it took me 9 hrs:

That guy who did it in 5 hrs must've been on meth imo. Either way, the content here is very well paced and filler free. I'm a big Evil Within fan, but this is a stark contrast to that game dragging on (and taking forever to load when I die or restart). Lotta QTE's, some were silly and some opportunities were missed for good ones, but idc. Maybe I don't play enough cinematic games to be burnt out on them, but it felt fun to me most of the time.

The amount of uniforms Gallahad dons is pure action figure/cosplay bait. If this was a flick, I'd really praise the "costume designer" - Also, I fucking love that object inspection thing. The texture fidelity was like O_O and I swear, if someone made cinecam, realism, weapon overhaul and texture mods that were able to do that in the next Fallout game, I'd be all over it.

Definitely agreed with whoever's saying the text was small. Had to lean in to read. It's probably fine on like a 55" TV or something, but I dunno. I'm rolling with 32"
I couldn't read it on a 65"

rdrr gnr

I wanted to refrain from saying this until I've gotten hands-on, but The Order, at least from what I've seen feels like a 'good game' wrapped up with very questionable game design choices that on its own, isn't bad, but the accumulation of all of them can make it feel worse than it is.

I mean, all the little gripes aren't game-breaking. The QTEs, the pacing, the sudden'removal-of-controls' every now and then, the prompts, the camera cuts, etc.

Many games has does things like those in variable quantities, but it does feel like because this game in particular is both linear, employs pacing beats that force you to keep the immersion of how the scenes play out (forced walks, etc), etc, the factors all amplify the singularity that this game is notorious and terrible because of all the little things that add up towards 'removing the game from gameplay.'

When I get to the game, I expect my criticisms to be largely around this aspect. Where the multitudes of game design related factors, both small and large amplify certain issues in the overall game design.
This is one of those games that I feel would particularly difficult to assign a score to and I'm someone who already has difficulty choosing specific numerical values.
I feel like some of the arguments in defense of the game pre-release were based around some intangible quality that would arise by playing the game itself i.e., something that could not be assumed from its trailers and previews. I'm not suggesting that watching a playthrough is an experience akin to playing the game itself, but I am suggesting that if someone was holding out for an "x" factor that would reconcile what was seemingly lacking in the game footage with the game itself -- that something extra isn't there. Atmosphere and visuals only go so far. What happened to the talk about soft-body physics as it related to deformation and destruction? What about supernatural elements beyond Lycans? What about the rich exploration of lore or Victorian city life? All of those things were bandied about as people where searching for what made this game special. It's one thing to know what you were getting, but it's another to know and yet still be disappointed. Maybe reaching some numerical value on your own is hard, but can you really look at the Metacritic score and say it's truly unrepresentative?

Posted this originally in the review thread, but I'll put it here.

What the fuck is happening?

Anyway, I finally got my hands on the game and figured I'd throw in a few thoughts. I've played up to beginning of Chapter 5 on Hard and my playtime has been around an hour and a bit so far. I've haven't lingered too long but I've explored where I can, because the world is so fucking beautiful. Like seriously. There is atmosphere dripping everywhere in this game. Visually, this game is absolutely stunning. Bar none, the best anywhere. It looks absolutely unreal. It sounds silly, but it truly looks incredible. So clean, so crisp. Beautiful texture work everywhere. Art is wonderful. Framerate is absolutely rock solid and feels really nice.

Pacing is definitely something that I can see being a huge issue for some people, especially if you just want to hop in to actual shooting and don't like large periods of downtime. That said, if you enjoy some exposition and world building, I think you might be able to enjoy the slower pace. It lets you soak the world in and its characters. The game definitely wants you to feel immersed it the world before they turn you loose. QTE's haven't been a big issue at all. They are present here and there and yes, some do seem out of place, but the ones where you have more control over what is happening are actually neat. People need to really get over these.

In terms of encounters, there have a decent amount so far. Each one has been really, really fun. The A.I is actually surprisingly intelligent. I've seen a lot of criticism of the A.I but I've had no issues with dumb enemies or anything. I've been flanked numerous times and flushed out of cover often from grenades. I'm sure there is still a lot to see, so I'm not saying it is perfect all the way through, but so far so good. Now, there is definitely more cutscenes and walking around and moving from point A to B between those and that goes back to pacing. If that is something that would annoy you, well, I think you're gonna have some issues. It doesn't bother me though. It seems strange, but it makes you look forward to another great shootout and when it comes, it hits and you feel good. Yeah, there are times when I wanted them to keep going, but I'm not going to get a worked up over it because I enjoy watching the cutscenes, personally.

The actual gameplay mechanics are nothing new, that much is certain. However, I think they absolutely nailed the actual feeling of shooting, movement and for the most part cover. Aiming is precise (great acceleration and sensitivity), the way the enemies respond of bullets is super satisfying (location specific reaction and great animation), the sound of the weapons, the recoil, etc. It all feels really, really good and it makes for legitimately great shootouts. I was concerned that movement was going to be stiff, but that is absolutely not the case. Movement speed is great and the character isn't stiff at all. Again, it feels really good. As for cover, it works well. 'O' gets you into cover and you can get out by pulling back or hitting 'X'. I've had no issues with getting in cover and out of cover. However, I do have an issue. There doesn't seem to be a way to move up to a piece of cover ahead of you other than leaving and going near it a hitting 'O'. Bizarre omission. However, you can move laterally from one to another. Also, I've seen people mention that you can't move around a corner in cover. You absolutely can. Just hold your cover button and slightly pull back and move around the cover. You'll stay in cover and switch to other side. It works for me. I think it the "soft cover" that RAD mentioned a long time ago.

Story wise, it is interesting. I'm eager to play some more. It isn't going to blow your socks off, at least where I'm at, but it is getting somewhere slowly. And yes, there is a lot of walking and the game in absolutely linear. To me, that isn't a big deal but to some it will be. I'm totally OK with playing games where they want to you follow a path. But, if you don't like that, you'll hate this. Apparently a lot of the reviewers hate this. Personally, I think that's a shame.

I'll have a clearer picture of the game when I get finish it, but I can't help but feel that this is absolutely not a game that deserves 5 and 6's or even 7's. I mean, that is absolutely absurd. Yes, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking but the game is very well made. If you absolutely hate heavily story based game that play in a very linear fashion, you won't like this but I'm not sure that alone can possibly bring this game to that level. It isn't for everyone. But after playing it, I feel like the reviews have been unfairly and overly critical of the game. It is a bit a different, but that can be a good thing.

I really hope people give it a shot. I'm really, really impressed actually.

1337Sauce

You summed up a lot of how I feel. I've only played a few hours but I think, I appreciate this more as an EXPERIENCE than I do as a game. Don't get me wrong, I certainly feel it's a fine game, I am having fun with it. But the presentation just takes everything to another level.

It reminds me a lot of when I saw Avatar. If I had to pick apart the typical movie elements (plot, acting, etc) it's certainly average at best, but as an EXPERIENCE it was a 12/10. Completely blew me away the first time I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Yeah, you pretty much summed up how I feel in a quick couple sentences. This game needs to be played as an experience. Completely absorbing the cutscenes, soundtrack, art style, environment and the atmosphere as one entire entity. Simply waiting for the cutscenes to finish to begin the next shooting segment is clearly not what the developers were aiming for. They wanted you to be enveloped in the characters and the story they were trying to tell, which is clearly why they devoted so much time to it.

I still can't get over this game! Too good as far as I am concerned!

ChawlieTheFair

I definitely think there's potential for a nice sequel. They just need to open up the gameplay a little bit and add some more variety. It would be cool if it allowed you to go to different places in the city with fast travel. Maybe throw in side missions and other activities. They already are doing a good job of immersing you in the world, but imagine if they opened it up more and allowed you to visit different areas at will. The world is perfect for that.

We could be looking at a 10/10 game if they did that.

Yes to variety in moment-to-moment gameplay, no to sidemission/fast travel shit.

I've got plenty of good open world games I need more ultra linear action adventure games in my life.

Skux

Small thing that has made cover more manageable - you can push the stick forward or sideways while in cover, this will angle the view over or around the cover and let you get a better view without having to aim.

Blindfire is fun as hell too.

I feel like some of the argument in defense of the game was based around some intangible quality that would arise by playing the game itself i.e., something that could not be assumed from its trailers and previews. I'm not suggesting that watching a playthrough is an experience akin to playing the game itself, but I am suggesting that if someone was holding out for an "x" factor that would reconcile what was seemingly lacking in game footage with the game itself -- that extra something isn't there. Atmosphere and visuals only go so far. What happened to the talk about soft-body physics as it related to deformation and destruction? What about supernatural elements beyond Lycans? What about the rich exploration of lore or Victorian city life? All of those things were bandied about as people where searching for what made this game special. It's one thing to know what you were getting, but it's another to know and yet still be disappointed.

I've spoken this before in Destiny pre-launch/hype threads. I judge a game based by what I've seen, not by what they've said, especially if it was a year plus before release. A lot of those who were massively down on Destiny kept harping at all those concept arts of all the locales and expanded gameplay options,etc, and I basically said this "I liked the alpha/beta. If the game was alpha/beta x 4, that is enough for me."

Devs/publishers aren't stupid. If there was something special inside their core gameplay that would've sold the game better, they would've shown/teased it more. That's why when Bungie stopped talking about locales beyond Moon, Mars, Venus, I set my expectation to "we probably won't get more than a few hubs."

That's why I never really get hyped on teaser trailers, and PR talk. Show me gameplay, and I'll judge my expectations of the final product based on that. I would say the only exception I've ever made is for ND, but that's because I think Bruce Straley is effing awesome.

Small thing that has made cover more manageable - you can push the stick forward or sideways while in cover, this will angle the view over or around the cover and let you get a better view without having to aim.

Lol I tried blindfire with a pistol and emptied a clip without hitting anything

XD

Seventy70

Yes to variety in moment-to-moment gameplay, no to sidemission/fast travel shit.

I've got plenty of good open world games I need more ultra linear action adventure games in my life.

What if they gave you an open world game with the detail and benefits of a linear one?

I just think that since the world is so interesting, it would be awesome to go out and explore it.

yeah this might be part of it. Cause the thing is I actually like cutscenes in games, they are sorta of a lil treat like when you beat a boss/get to the end of a level. But in the Order they are so frequent that they sorta lose their enjoyment?

Yeah, an example for what I was talking about before is (don't read if you didn't pass chapter 4)
when Galahad is carrying an injured Isabeau
. That could have easily been done in game and other games would have done that in game.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

blind fire is a little to op, you could beat the entire game doing it

Played the game for 4hrs 45mins straight and.... I'm enjoying the game. Its by no means perfect but its good for what it's trying to do.I love lady Igraine's attitude. I can't wait to continue playing tomorrow. Btw after playing for 4hrs, I was only able to unlock 2 trophies. lol

What if they gave you an open world game with the detail and benefits of a linear one?

I just think that since the world is so interesting, it would be awesome to go out and explore it.

Nah this doesn't need to be open world, I'd be pissed if there is a sequel and they go that route. This just needs more encounters and more fleshed out ideas when it comes to combat.

ChawlieTheFair

Well the benefits of a linear game (I think anyway) are the setpieces and beautifully crafted combat scenarios (i.e the best of the best Uncharted 2). What puts me off open world games is the amount of stuff you can do that is basically meaningless. There are exceptions like GTAV and Skyrim where I actually like just going around and doing random shit. Worst example being something like Watch dogs or saints row, or more recently Inquisition. Basically I like having an experience sold me to bit by bit exactly how a developer wants it to be seen, doesn't mean I don't like open world, but we get shit tons of those already, and not enough good action adventure games like Uncharted.

aristotle

I'm noticing a lot of blur as I'm playing (blurring when they move fast, turn, etc.). Is this normal or is my TV not calibrated correctly?

I agree with those saying keep the game linear.

I just would like the environments expanded a tiny bit, ala TLOU. Give you an entrance and exit point, but blow up the stuff in between to be bigger and offer a bit more options in terms of traversal/tactics

The actual gameplay mechanics are nothing new, that much is certain. However, I think they absolutely nailed the actual feeling of shooting, movement and for the most part cover. Aiming is precise (great acceleration and sensitivity), the way the enemies respond of bullets is super satisfying (location specific reaction and great animation), the sound of the weapons, the recoil, etc. It all feels really, really good and it makes for legitimately great shootouts.

Agreed. A lot of it felt like "stop and pop" finally done right... vulnerable, but agile. Not too much or too little of either.

BadAss2961

4 Chapters in. As a person that loves taking time to search all areas and admire attention to detail, this game has been brilliant. These graphics and the way the PS4 seems to run it effortlessly is very impressive. Smooth framerate, and the fans aren't even loud with this game.

Gameplay is straightforward, but competent. What it does, it does fairly well. Weapons feel powerful, and there's some really cool guns to behold here. The way Galahad can take cover and naturally aim around walls is pretty slick.

Going by some of the negative impressions i've read, I was expecting a lot less player involvement than there's been so far. The game introduces itself in a plodding QTE-fest, but gets into a good rhythm of story and gameplay shortly after that.

There's some issues here, especially with the constant breaks and taking away player control, even though the cutscenes are really well done....but open up the enemy encounters, add more variety, and space out some cutscenes more, and I'd buy a sequel instantly.

Fantastic game so far, engaging story, beautiful to look at, and a lot of world building via the details. Gameplay is serviceable, needs more dynamic gunplay, but it can be very fun at times, despite being a bit to basic.

Happy with my purchase.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts. RAD layed down a great foundation. Curious to see where they go with the sequel if it sells well.

ChawlieTheFair

I agree with those saying keep the game linear.

I just would like the environments expanded a tiny bit, ala TLOU. Give you an entrance and exit point, but blow up the stuff in between to be bigger and offer a bit more options in terms of traversal/tactics

Basically this, downgrade graphics somewhat, get in bigger combat arenas, and use those soft-body physics more in the environment.

Surfheart

It's such a shame that we don't get incredible console exclusives like The Order: 1886 on PC. I really want the mediocre gameplay, average graphics that look better with OTT post-processing like any other game can with GeDoSaTo/ENB/SweetFX/GEMFX, 30 frames a second, pointless set pieces, unskippable cut-scenes, black bars, 60 dollar price tag and Day 1 season pass availability.

Edit: Apparently you're only allowed to praise games in this thread, but if you want to criticise it and the rubbish surrounding it, you've got to go to another one. I wasn't here to criticise reviews. I posted here to criticise the game. But, you know, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wrong.

Dude, I've got a high end PC with all the 'Masta Race' sanctioned hot titles on it , but nothing I've seen there holds a candle to The Order's visuals.
This is the first time where I've felt I've seen a significant leap in graphics and not just a tarted up last gen game.

Edit: unity was close but we all know how that ended up.

Persona7

Banned
I want to play this but I think I'll wait a bit. I thought I had extra money but that is going to Bloodborne. I'm sure the price on this will drop or go on sale in the next few months anyway.

It's such a shame that we don't get incredible console exclusives like The Order: 1886 on PC. I really want the mediocre gameplay, average graphics that look better with OTT post-processing like any other game can with GeDoSaTo/ENB/SweetFX/GEMFX, 30 frames a second, pointless set pieces, unskippable cut-scenes, black bars, 60 dollar price tag and Day 1 season pass availability.

Edit: Apparently you're only allowed to praise games in this thread, but if you want to criticise it and the rubbish surrounding it, you've got to go to another one. I wasn't here to criticise reviews. I posted here to criticise the game. But, you know, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wrong.

Are these criticisms based on your experience or what is exactly the point of this post?

Zukkoyaki

Alright, I just completed the game (In one almost non-stop playthrough! Yay for days off!) and I'd like to share some of my immediate impressions in the form of what I liked and didn't like.

Liked
- Visuals: Above. The Order is arguably the best looking game out there and almost assuredly the best looking on console.
- Music: Awesome! It creates the perfect atmosphere and is all around one of the best I've heard in a long time.
- Atmosphere: This game easily has one of the most beautiful realized worlds I've ever seen. It feels legitimately believable and I find myself wishing I could spend more time in it. Every part of the game features a perfectly realized atmosphere
- Characters: The central cast is extremely like-able; especially Galahad and Lafayette. I throughly enjoyed the group dynamic and their interactions. It was great stuff.
- Gunplay/Cover System: The core gameplay of The Order is plenty competent in my opinion. It isn't the among the best in its genre, but it's very solid with good controls and it's fun!
- Polish: This is probably the most polished AAA release of the generation thus far. Lightning quick load times, steady framerate, and note a single bug to be found in my playthrough.

Disliked
- Cinematic Aspect: Goodness gracious did they take the cinematic elements too far! There are so few moments in the game where I felt like I was actually in control. When there wasn't a cutscene, more often than not I was forced to just be walking around looking at stuff. The gameplay to cutscene ratio was awful as well. I hated the constant instances of gaining control back only for another cutscene to play literally seconds later. I felt like I had no control of my character.
- Poor Battle Arenas: I felt like the combat encounters throughout the game were poorly thought out. Almost all of them were either claustrophobic or way too open. It made for some rather awkward fights.
- Instant Fail Stealth Segments: This speaks for itself. These are probably my least favorite design choice in gaming. Nothing destroys fun and immersion quite like them.
- Waves of Enemies: A great deal of the combat scenarios entailed just sitting in one spot shooting at seemingly endless waves of enemies that convenient pour out of one or two locations. This is an extremely boring and unimaginative design choice. Not only that, they go on for WAY too long. I caught myself thinking, "Is this over yet? It stopped being fun three waves ago." multiple times
- Lycan Fights: Man, these could have been so much more. These are seriously boring and far too easy. Possibly the biggest ball drop in the entire game.
- Length: I finished the game in about 7 hours on medium and I definitely didn't feel like I rushed through it all. I spent a lot of time looking for collectables and aiming for trophies. Even for its genre, this game was a tad on the shorter side.

Let it be known that I didn't mind the QTEs. There were a few too many but it could have been a lot worse.

As for the story, I liked it! It wasn't amazing but it certainly wasn't bad either. I think it was propelled by the characters and how like-able Galahad is as a protagonist. Though it felt unfinished. The ending felt more like a mid-season finale than an epic climax. It's obvious that they want to do a sequel. Hopefully they get the chance.

To summarize my overall opinion of the game: I wouldn't say it's necessarily good, nor is it a bad game. It's definitely one of those games that just is what it is. There is an AMAZING core here with a phenomenal universe, solid gameplay, and an arguably unparalleled presentation. Unfortunately, the design and everything around that core left a lot to be desired.

If you enjoy cinematic third person action games, much like myself, you're probably going to enjoy The Order: 1886. I know I enjoyed my playthrough quite a bit despite the obvious flaws. Though I'm not quite sure I would recommend it for $60 unless you're really looking for something new to play or just have a bunch of money to spare.

I will also say that I'm a tad disappointed in the game. I'm a fan of Ready at Dawn and I was hoping this would be a cinematic game akin to Uncharted with solid gameplay, puzzles, great pacing, etc, but it ended up being more like Beyond: Two Souls where basically everything you do is guided with little variety.

But remember, I still enjoyed it! A heavily flawed game but the right gamer will like it. I personally got my money's worth! :)

Fury451

Banned
I think the writing in The Order is above average.

Agreed, but I believe much of that is due to presentation and voice acting. The writing itself though is quite good considering it could have easily veered into "silly" or overly dramatic territory given the setting and plot.

the3ye

I like it so far. It looks beautiful minus terrible small subtitles.
Also, are characters in this game daywalking vampires? So many polishd and reflective items, yet no reflection of main character at all.

Top Bottom