• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

So...I liked the openly hated chapter 11 stealth sequence. Is something wrong with me?

Wound up having to go somewhere after that but I look forward to finishing up. Love the atmosphere of that chapter so far.

I thought that section was too easy to be hated.
Crossbow
wrecks everything.

SDCowboy

Did anyone else find chapters 11-on to feel almost like a completely different game? Prior I still liked the game a lot, but from 11 on the game was superb, IMO.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The combat got even worse in Unity, I'd rather it be simplistic if the alternative is that crappy ass combat we got
It got harder, because the enemies are much smarter and stronger, (especially in the later areas of the game with 4-5 star enemies) than they were before, while the game is perfectly content with letting the player figure things out with the differing enemy types. Which may be off-putting for some.

Also in the order unless the button pops up near people you can't hit them .
So you have enemies close to you and can't do anything but shoot .
And when the cutscenes happen it takes to long and you end up getting shoot from other enemies.
I can't tell you how many times i wanted to beat the shotgun guys when they getting \were close to me only for them to run pass me or nothing to happen .
I had the former issue happen as well occasionally. The "you take damage because this animation is way too long" thing was also frustrating.

I've already told what I feel about the game. It has stunning visuals, great voice acting, fantastic atmosphere and solid gun play. But tons of shortcomings. Here's ten of them:
I agree with your list for the most part, but really enjoyed the game despite it's short commings. Gunplay is fantastic... Best weapons IMO are both shotguns and both revolvers (revolver for long range, shotgun up close). Sound is also fantastic, solid OST. Graphics, lighting & reflectance in particular, are stellar. The 'environments' have so much atmosphere. Wish I could downsampled this and remove the film grain. Stealth sections didn't bother me. The mansion gardens were amazing to look at. Ending snuck up on me, I want more.

More like three button combat systems, ever since Arkham games came out, we've had a lot of games try to emulate it, so you get 1 button for attacks, 1 button for countering, 1 button for dodging, and then mix in some other things as well, like the last of us has a simplistic control system that has depth with the type of weapon you're using. Different weapons have differing amounts of durability that may get you out of a jam if you encounter a licker or get too close to enemies who also have melee enemies etc etc, Meanwhile in the Order, it's 1 button=win. Press triangle and enemy is dealt with in a cutscene. P.S. AC games no longer have counter kills.

Exactly, they're going all out for UC4's melee system it looks like. I somehow feel like even if the sequel were to include a melee system that it still would feel a bit archaic compared to everything else.

I don't have Unity because, for me, it was the Ubisoft straw that broke the camels back.
The other Assassins Creed games had progressively more awful, boring combat.
The Batman counter - attack combat was fun for a bit, although I would hardly call it complex. It is slightly more involving than The Order's but that's because Batman doesn't shoot people dead. He has to fight them with his fists in a comic book style. It would be fucking woefully out of place in The Order to the point of absurdity.
In my experience the melee combat in TLOU normally amounts to trying to sneak up on someone and 'one button' attack them. If they are alert to you then the best bet is to run towards them and try to hit them with a one shot kill weapon like an axe before they have time to react.
If that fails uninspiring 'blow trading' takes place with the possibility of a QTE style intervention with Ellie.
As most combat ends with a one shot kill I dont see a massive difference to what the Order offers to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it still plays the same way (minus the stealth in that chapter). It just really ramps up and gets really good at that point, IMO.
catacomb
battle at very end was intense. Close range shotgun blasting dudes to pieces...

I like how queen what's-her-face rolls, and Lafayette knows what's up. Enjoyed all the characters.

It got harder, because the enemies are much smarter and stronger, (especially in the later areas of the game with 4-5 star enemies) than they were before, while the game is perfectly content with letting the player figure things out with the differing enemy types. Which may be off-putting for some.

We can agree to disagree on that one.
But I do understand your points of the orders melee animations taking to long. I've seen people get shot while waiting for the animation to end. Its gonna be an annoying for me when I get to play on Mon.

I don't have Unity because, for me, it was the Ubisoft straw that broke the camels back.
The other Assassins Creed games had progressively more awful, boring combat.
The Batman counter - attack combat was fun for a bit, although I would hardly call it complex. It is slightly more involving than The Order's but that's because Batman doesn't shoot people dead. He has to fight them with his fists in a comic book style. It would be fucking woefully out of place in The Order to the point of absurdity.
In my experience the melee combat in TLOU normally amounts to trying to sneak up on someone and 'one button' attack them. If they are alert to you then the best bet is to run towards them and try to hit them with a one shot kill weapon like an axe before they have time to react.
If that fails uninspiring 'blow trading' takes place with the possibility of a QTE style intervention with Ellie.
As most combat ends with a one shot kill I dont see a massive difference to what the Order offers to be honest.

If you can't see the difference you not looking hard enough .
In TLOU i have the option of hitting people which means i can attack in many ways along with shooting it adds to the gameplay .
Also you don't see the massive difference of running up to enemy knowing your going to hit them or running up to a enemy waiting for button to pop up that might not happen ?
This is one of the big problem the order has , it has gameplay systems but there done half ass.

SDCowboy

I'm a bit confused on some of the trophies in this. I got "The Power of Observation" which is inspect all objects, but then I didn't get the ones for the cylinders, papers documents or the one for "find all inspect items". What? lol

You seemingly missed the dialogue where Igraine says
"you know the answer [when I will listen to your concerns]. But we have to obtain fathers blessing first..."
Thats as obvious as it can be.

Keep going. IMO it gets quite a bit worse. The game thinks the first lycan encounter was pretty fantastic, so you might see them again...

I didn't miss it at all. She doesn't genuinely say it, she gives it as a sarcastic response to the question he asked. Below is a quote from an old game informer article from when they had the exclusive info for the order and is a description of Igraine's character

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_order_1886/b/playstation4/archive/2013/10/15/meet-the-knights-of-the-order-1886.aspx

Name: Isabeau D’Argyll
Alias: Lady Igraine

If you’ve read tales about King Arthur, you may remember his mother was named Lady Igraine. In The Order: 1886, Lady Igraine is a youthful-looking warrior named Isabeau D’Argyll. She and Galahad have a close but guarded relationship which started with her as his knight in training. Over the years the two become fond of one another, though their allegiance to The Order forbids them from ever acting on any underlying feelings. Isabeau’s character extends beyond her relationship with Galahad, however. She is strong-willed, skilled in combat, and fiercely loyal to The Order. “Isabeau is every bit the knight that Galahad is,” says Ru Weerasuriya, creative director on The Order: 1886. “There’s this kind of rivalry between them.”

So I'll say again, There is no intended romance in the game (only a whimsical what if we never had this life etc). The purpose of that is the basis for other feelings that occur in the story as later
to provide a grounding for why Galahad would additionally be concerned with her wellbeing, and to provide grounding in her circumstantially seeing him as suspicious (ie from her point of view - with their past, why couldn't he trust her enough to tell her what was going on unless it was truly something suspicious)

...but there is no intended romantic development. People knocking the "romance" when there isn't intended to be a developed / developing one is an unfair criticism.

-[this is messy and I'm on an iPad - I may return to clear up my thoughts later]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Melee combat in TLOU is far more complex than here. Aside from what you described (which is already much more complex than TO1886), you can attack with bricks, or throw it at them to stun them, or draw AI's attention to sound of dropping something, then there's environment-sensitive combat actions in the game, which is something very impressive. There's also ability to grab people and hold as shields, there's ability for the enemy to grab you while someone else pounds at you. Then you can break away by running with L2... That's just on top of my head.
Melee stuff in TO1886 is serviceable and feels good to execute though. As I said, the game is so free of contol jank, that it's refreshing.

I had the former issue happen as well occasionally. The "you take damage because this animation is way too long" thing was also frustrating.

That wasn't the issue, I just feel like the combat regressed, had nothing to do with difficulty for me or changing of strategies. It just felt off and random and then when you got surrounded you basically had to give up. I much rather prefer the counter kills from the previous games.

I took a chance when I was leaving the store today to browse at Redbox and saw that they actually had this game in stock. $3 seemed pretty reasonable price for this for me to play through tonight.

If you can't see the difference you not looking hard enough .
In TLOU i have the option of hitting people which means i can attack in many way along with shooting it adds to the gameplay .
Also you don't see the massive difference of running up to enemy knowing your going to hit them or running up to a enemy waiting for button to pop up that might not happen ?

I am fully aware of the difference. I'm just not silly enough to pretend it's huge.
The 'blow trading' in TLOU isn't very good.
That's why everyone tries to one button stealth kill everyone or alternatively run up and hit them with an axe before they can react to receive a one button kill with a gruesome animation.
Which is exactly what The Order does.
Nobody deliberately gets into the 'blow trading' mechanic because it's a sloppy, inefficient way of killing the enemy.

I'm a bit confused on some of the trophies in this. I got "The Power of Observation" which is inspect all objects, but then I didn't get the ones for the cylinders, papers documents or the one for "find all inspect items". What? lol

I believe "Inspect all Objects" is for when you pick up those random things like the heirlooms. The cylinders and paper Documents are different. Cylinders for the audio logs and paper documents for the newspapers and stuff like that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The QTE style help from Ellie is most definitely not uninspiring as I can't even think of another game where that occurs. Not to mention, different weapon types and differing amounts of durability, a pipe will not kill instantly unless upgraded with a blade etc and all of that is enhanced by the fact that the game does not take you out of it, you don't just press a button and see the camera angle change to a cutscene, it all feels like you hand a hand in it.

SDCowboy

I believe "Inspect all Objects" is for when you pick up those random things like the heirlooms. The cylinders and paper Documents are different. Cylinders for the audio logs and paper documents for the newspapers and stuff like that.

Man this is going to suck to platinum for me. I scoured every corner in this in my playthrough. I can't believe I didn't find all of at least one of them.

One more thing, what's the difference between a silent kill and a melee kill in this? Is using the knife not a melee kill?

viveks86

So...I liked the openly hated chapter 11 stealth sequence. Is something wrong with me?

Wound up having to go somewhere after that but I look forward to finishing up. Love the atmosphere of that chapter so far.

I didn't mind it at all. I had some issues with the narrative excuses made for that segment, but the gameplay itself was fun. I expect you to enjoy a couple more shooting segments after which the level design takes a complete nose dive.

Man this is going to suck to platinum for me. I scoured every corner in this in my playthrough. I can't believe I didn't find all of at least one of them.

One more thing, what's the difference between a silent kill and a melee kill in this? Is using the knife not a melee kill?

I've been searching every nook and cranny as well, I'm scared I'm gonna end up in your place when I am done. And melee kills are when you run up to them in combat and push triangle, stealth kills are the ones from behind during the stealth sections.

Melee combat in TLOU is far more complex than here. Aside from what you described (which is already much more complex than TO1886), you can attack with bricks, or throw it at them to stun them, or draw AI's attention to sound of dropping something, then there's environment-sensitive combat actions in the game, which is something very impressive. There's also ability to grab people and hold as shields, there's ability for the enemy to grab you while someone else pounds at you. Then you can break away by running with L2... That's just on top of my head.
Melee stuff in TO1886 is serviceable and feels good to execute though. As I said, the game is so free of contol jank, that it's refreshing.

The throwing bricks stuff and grabbing people are good. I was purely taking about the combat. The attacking people part.

I agree with the part I bolded. It isn't archaic as they are claiming. It's satisfying but it's not the focus the guns are.

IndustryX

I'm enjoying the atmosphere, graphics, gunplay and the trophies are easy :)

Great setting and i love the Tesla angle on things.

RAD could have done so much better, the first hour of the game I was thinking "seriously? this sucks" way to much hand holding and pulling you out of the game for a cutscene. It improves though and I'm glad I kept on going, I'm enjoying it now, and I haven't even reach the halway point. More around 7-8/10 then 5/10 imo.

I didn't miss it at all. She doesn't genuinely say it, she gives it as a sarcastic response to the question he asked. Below is a quote from an old game informer article from when they had the exclusive info for the order and is a description of Igraine's character

So I'll say again, There is no intended romance in the game (only a whimsical what if we never had this life etc). The purpose of that is the basis for other feelings that occur in the story as later
to provide a grounding for why Galahad would additionally be concerned with her wellbeing, and to provide grounding in her circumstantially seeing him as suspicious (ie from her point of view - with their past, why couldn't he trust her enough to tell her what was going on unless it was truly something suspicious)

...but there is no intended romantic development. People knocking the "romance" when there isn't intended to be a developed / developing one is an unfair criticism.

-[this is messy and I'm on an iPad - I may return to clear up my thoughts later]

Him not tell her anything was one of the most stupid plot points in the game .
In fact she saying how much he change had no context what so ever.

I didn't mind it at all. I had some issues with the narrative excuses made for that segment, but the gameplay itself was fun. I expect you to enjoy a couple more shooting segments after which the level design takes a complete nose dive.

:-( maybe I'll have to go back on this being my favorite game of this gen, I hope I enjoy what you're talking about more then you did.

Isn't a claim like that a bit premature though? :eek:

In what sense, thus far it is. I'm on Chapter 11, I didn't expect a big swing in quality after this, but if there is of course I will reevaluate what I said.

EDIT: Or are you talking about the this gen comment? I'm enjoying the game far more than any of the other games I have played this gen. Of course it will probably change over the course of this gen, but right now that's how I feel

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
In what sense, thus far it is. I'm on Chapter 11, I didn't expect a big swing in quality after this, but if there is of course I will reevaluate what I said.
But we're only a little over a year into the gen though. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I always find claims like that strange to make so early on. But I totally respect the opinion.

Just finished: My goodness that was awesome. One of my top 10 gaming experiences in the last 10 years.

I had an incredible amount of fun playing. My only gripe: there wasn't enough wrap up. The length of the game was meh, short, I just wish there was more because I enjoyed it so much.

So many unanswered questions.
Isabeau? Lakshmi? Lafayette? The resistance? The Order?

I am eagerly anticipating sequel. Ready at Dawn made a fan out of me.

Naudi

Banned
RAD could have done so much better, the first hour of the game I was thinking "seriously? this sucks" way to much hand holding and pulling you out of the game for a cutscene. It improves though and I'm glad I kept on going, I'm enjoying it now, and I haven't even reach the halway point. More around 7-8/10 then 5/10 imo.
That's funny cause Im a few hours in now and have thought it's amazing lol. I keep expecting it to take a nose dive to align with review. But I realize I enjoy cut scene heavy games more then most and that's ok with me, it's always a plus when my wife wants me to play so she can watch ala tlou.

viveks86

:-( maybe I'll have to go back on this being my favorite game of this gen, I hope I enjoy what you're talking about more then you did.

Have you read my review? In any case, it's all subjective opinion. For example, Fibonacci seems to love what I thought is the worst level in the entire game. So who knows, you might like it as well :)

I am fully aware of the difference. I'm just not silly enough to pretend it's huge.
The 'blow trading' in TLOU isn't very good.
That's why everyone tries to one button stealth kill everyone or alternatively run up and hit them with an axe before they can react to receive a one button kill with a gruesome animation.
Which is exactly what The Order does.
Nobody deliberately gets into the 'blow trading' mechanic because it's a sloppy, inefficient way of killing the enemy.

It not inefficient i play TLOU like that to save my self ammo on higher difficultly runs so please don't talk for everyone.
Hit one person with brick , then punch or hold the next person .
In the order shotgun enemy runs right past you but can't hit cause there no button prompt when in TLOU i would punch his ass out .
Just makes the combat more of a chore along with all the other problems.
Don't forget a combat system is all it's part put together and not just one .

My critism with it is that they could have expanded the romance subplot to actually give depth to the story.
Especially as she tails him and sees him with another woman, who happens to be the rebel leader. There's a lot they could have done there with that love triangle to make you care more about characters that aren't Gallahad.

Like most other threads that weave the plot together, however, it instead comes across as a wasted opportunity

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sooo, just went to my local target and walmarts. Both of them were sold out...

Should've just kept my Amazon preorder.

This is annoying.

Guess it bodes well for the game though?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had narrative issues with the chapter 5 stealth section but I thought the one in chapter 11 was fine.

It at least had established the company as being an evil entity at that point versus just a neutral one (the rebel leaders saying that they're all tainted). I think at that later point in the game it made sense with Galahad's division from standard humans due to his extended life. The first one really didn't make sense for the lethal takedowns. Should have just been nonlethal.

Naudi

Banned
The game looks so damn good that we(wife and I) keep trying to find any inconsistency in the quality....it's very hard! I once saw some slight aliasing on the cobblestone street in the far in the distants. Pretty damn impressive showing from these guys.

The arc rifle is way overpowered when blind firing and hip firing with this game. Auto lock + one hit kill make it the most deadly weapon in this game. IMO, this game will be a lot less fun if this gun is used frequently.

Him not tell her anything was one of the most stupid plot points in the game .
In fact she saying how much he change had no context what so ever.

He doesn't tell her or Lafayette for their own protection (anyone who knows is at risk from the threat within - which A: he isn't sure of who is / isn't involved, B: would shake the order to its core)

My critism with it is that they could have expanded the romance subplot to actually give depth to the story.
Especially as she tails him and sees him with another woman, who happens to be the rebel leader. There's a lot they could have done there with that love triangle to make you care more about characters that aren't Gallahad.

Like most other threads that weave the plot together, however, it instead comes across as a wasted opportunity

...there is no love triangle

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished. This turned out to be quite the surprise, loved the game. Too bad that
the final qte fight is an exact copy of the ch4 one,
a corner they shouldn't have cut.
I was so pumped after that epilogue. It felt like things were just getting started. Give me a sequel please.

I also searched all the nooks and crannies, and only got the object trophy. Going to be a pain tracking the missing ones down.

It not inefficient i play TLOU like that to save my self ammo on higher difficultly runs so please don't talk for everyone.
Hit one person with brick , then punch or hold the next person .
Shotgun enemy runs right past you but can't hit cause there no button prompt when TLOU i would punch his ass out .
Just makes the combat more of a chore and that along with all the other problems.

Most of the people you kill in hand to hand combat in TLOU you kill with one button press (stealth or weapon) unless you are bad at it.
So claiming The Order is bad because it features 'one button kill' is just plain stupid. It's exactly what you aspire to do when you attack them in TLOU.
You only brawl if you fail your one hit kill in TLOU.

viveks86

I had narrative issues with the chapter 5 stealth section but I thought the one in chapter 11 was fine.

It at least had established the company as being an evil entity at that point versus just a neutral one (the rebel leaders saying that they're all tainted). I think at that later point in the game it made sense with Galahad's division from standard humans due to his extended life. The first one really didn't make sense for the lethal takedowns. Should have just been nonlethal.

Hmmm, I don't know. Chapter 5 was a mission to prevent an assassination attempt by rebels who have killed others, including the police. It's an act of war that would be ok in the knight's code. Chapter 11 is just a covert recon mission.
The guards are blue collar workers serving the government who probably have no idea about some grand political conspiracy. You can't go about murdering them unprovoked. The issue extends to chapter 9, as well. Killing those people would simply be unacceptable. Galahad wasn't even aware why he was killing them at that point other than "they are shooting at me" and "I trust the rebel lady cuz she told me I should"

Top Bottom