• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Bebpo

Banned
I really like Monster Bash, the theme of it is AWESOME and the lights with PS4's lighting in dark mode looks amazing. Seeing Dracula smash his guitar on the ground has got to be the highlight of any table in S1. Only problem is the table is kind of easy so it can go on for a loooong time; but super fun!

Shaneus

Not sure what you mean. Tron Legacy is already a real pinball table. Are you saying FS are making a PA version?
No, I'm saying they're not. My response was to you who asked "What are the chances of seeing something recent like Tron Legacy in TPA?". And by "they", I mean Stern.

I can see how you'd be confused though (though only barely ;) ).

It happened again, this time on 2-ball and this time it "fell" through the lower playfield. I actually saw it happen this time. It looked the ball just sank in lava right around the middle of the of the sword. Notice the "2" in the multi-ball indicator. After I lost the ball I'm holding here I had to reset.

DD0F7D5D73A3E23C4491A70F1C40E54D77204D3C

Shaneus

Looks like we aren't getting F-14 Tomcat or Red and Ted's Road Show this season. :-(

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/7150-Roadshow-and-F-14-confirmed-NOT-to-be-coming
Yeah, not this season. Not surprised, I'd guess they have a lot of ground to cover considering they're all new tables they have to buy. And I think there might be a licensing thing with one of the songs in Road Show. Plus, too many Lawlor games.

Shouldn't the new newsletter be out now? I thought they always released one whenever a new table was launched.
Shitstorm with Apple and FarSight offering Season 3 on iOS without having much more than one table released. Apparently Apple don't like it, so no Black Rose yet on iOS and no newsletter (they wait until it's available on the majority of platforms before sending them out). I'm more bummed about no hint for the next pack than being able to play BR on my iPad.

I didn't realize people loved Road Show so much. I played it, and well i liked it, there are certainly way more tables i'd want over it.
People love their stop-start games. I have vague memories of playing one many moons ago (it registered credits but didn't keep the coins :D) and don't recall enjoying it. There's a much wider variety of stuff we haven't seen which we should get first IMO.

So, a pinball lounge just opened about an hour from me, and i found through this that about 10 minutes away is another old-school arcade/slot car race place with tables. Then there is the Museum of Play about 5 minutes from the Pinball Lounge as well. The list between the 3 is:

Diner
Indiana Jones (Williams)
Road Show
Scared Stiff
Twilight Zone
Spider-Man (Gottleib)
Avengers
Haunted House
Addams Family
Transformers
Tron: Legacy
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Williams, 1993)
Dr. Dude (Bally, 1990)
Jurassic Park (Data East, 1993)
NASCAR (Stern, 2005)
No Good Gofers (Williams, 1997)
Police Force (Williams, 1989)
Sharpshooter (Game Plan, 1979)
The Simpsons Pinball Party (Stern, 2003)
Space Shuttle (Williams, 1984)
Starship Troopers (Sega, 1997)
Time Warp (Williams, 1979)
WWF Royal Rumble (Data East, 1994)

I think its time for a pilgrimage for a day.

Shaneus

There's no such thing as too many Lawlor games.
Yes there is. Have a listen to the C2C podcast where Nate interviews Josh Sharpe. Josh despises games with over-complicated rulesets :p Can't argue with the president of the IFPA!

Having said that, I'm definitely curious to check out RCT. And Lawlor's favourite game outside of his own is High Speed. So maybe he's onto something.

So, a pinball lounge just opened about an hour from me, and i found through this that about 10 minutes away is another old-school arcade/slot car race place with tables. Then there is the Museum of Play about 5 minutes from the Pinball Lounge as well. The list between the 3 is:

Diner
Indiana Jones (Williams)
Road Show
Scared Stiff
Twilight Zone
Spider-Man (Gottleib)
Avengers
Haunted House
Addams Family
Transformers
Dr. Dude (Bally, 1990)
NASCAR (Stern, 2005)

Holy shit... jackpot! That's an amazing collection. So, so, SO jelly. I've never even seen a Tron in the flesh :/

Getting an extra ball on El Dorado is my new source of repeated resets. If I don't light the hold bonus on ball 1 I just give up immediately. Hate this goal. Starting to hate the table. Haven't had this many insta-drains off the plunge since I was learning Gorgar. And the sounds in El Dorado are irritating, unlike the cool sounds in Gorgar. :(

Futureman

my roommate has Season 1 on PS4 and I'm so addicted to it that I'm thinking of just buying the game for my MacBook Pro.

what kind of controller options do I have?

Minsc

Gold Member
my roommate has Season 1 on PS4 and I'm so addicted to it that I'm thinking of just buying the game for my MacBook Pro.

what kind of controller options do I have?

Connect a PS3/PS4/360 gamepad with your system then play? Also I'd suggest buying the steam version over the app store version if I were you, I think it will see more support down the road (no idea of the PS4's graphic improvements will see any platform other than Steam). You also then can play on Windows/Linux machines without re-buying tables if you or your friends have a windows laptop etc, where buying on the app store in OS X doesn't even give you iOS cross-play. Though I read the Steam version on OS X doesn't look as nice as playing on a Windows machine, so just be sure to try the free demos before purchasing to make sure it's ok with you.

Edit: Also, Table Pack 22 banner added to the OP finally:
7MXfGxu.jpg

Futureman

ok thanks.

I'm a little weary about controllers right now as I just bought Rayman on Steam for my Mac and I can't get the PS3 controller to work. I'll probably pick up a 360 controller soon.

I'm not so worried about graphics as long as slowdown isn't a big deal (noticed some on PS4).

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, a little false advertising :p, but if it doesn't make it out by friday I'll switch it off to be accurate. I just copied the info from the PAF forum thread, which has it as released on iOS as well, and actually the android version as not out. I think last month the Steam version released ahead of all other platforms by 3-4 days as well.

Diner
Indiana Jones (Williams)
Road Show
Scared Stiff
Twilight Zone
Spider-Man (Gottleib)
Avengers
Haunted House
Addams Family
Transformers
Dr. Dude (Bally, 1990)
NASCAR (Stern, 2005)

If anyone is in New England I highly recommend a pilgrimage to the Pinball Wizard Arcade http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

Here's their table list.

Addams Family
Atlantis
Baby Pac Man
Bad Cats
Banzai Run
Big Guns
Big Show
Black Hole
Black Knight
Black Knight 2000
BlackWater 100
Boston Bruins
Buck Rogers
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball
Cactus Jack
Capt. Fantastic
Car Hop
Celtics
Champ
Champion Pub
Checkpoint
Cirqus Voltaire
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Cue Ball Wizard
Cyclone
Demolition Man
Devils Dare
Diner
Doctor Who
Dr. Dude
Dracula
Earthshaker
Eight Ball
Eight Ball Deluxe
Embryon
F-14 Tomcat
Family Guy
Firepower
Firepower II
Fish Tales
Flash
Flintstones
Frankenstein
Fun House
Genie
Gilligan's Island
Gorgar
Granny & The Gators
Guns n Roses
Harley Davidson
High Speed
Hyperball
Indiana Jones (Williams)
Judge Dredd
Jurrasic Park
Kiss
Laser Ball
Lethal Weapon 3
Maverick
Medieval Madness
Monopoly
Mousin' Around
New England Patriots
No Good Gofers
Nudge It
Odds & Evens
Panthera
Party Zone
Pin Bot
Pool Sharks
Red Sox
Rescue 911
Revenge from Mars - Pinball 2000
River Boat Gambler
Road Show
Roller Coaster
Scorpion
Silverball Mania
Simpsons (Data East)
Solar Fire
Sorcerer
Space Invaders (Bally)
Space Shuttle
Space Station
Space Time
Spiderman
Star Trek - Data East
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Star Wars - Data East
Star Wars Episode 1
Stargate
Stellar Wars
Strange Science
Strikes N' Spares
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros Mushroom World
Superman
Tales from the Crypt
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Taxi
The Lord of the Rings
The Shadow
The Who's Tommy
Theatre of Magic
Transporter
Tron Pinball
Truck Stop
Twilight Zone
Whirlwind
Whitewater
Who Dunnit
Xenon

blurrygil

And not to derail the thread too much. But if you're in the PNW/Seattle area, the Seattle Pinball Museum is rocking an astounding 53 machines, so far. The list:

Seattle Pinball Museum Facebook Page

Presently 53 pinball machines and 4 arcades......

1ST FLOOR
1963 Swing Along
1966 Loop the Loop
1968 Funland
1969 King Tut
1971 Stardust
1971 4 Million BC
1974 Circus
1975 Spin Out
1975 Bow and Arrow
1976 Target Alpha
1979 Incredible Hulk
1979 Dracula
1980 Mystic
1980 Black Hole
1990 Whirlwind
1991 Terminator Judgement Day
1993 Indiana Jones
1993 Twilight Zone
1993 Star Trek Next Generation
1994 The Who's Tommy
1995 Theater of Magic
1996 Tales of the Arabian Knights
1996 Elvira Scared Stiff
1997 NBA
1997 Champion Pub
1998 Monster Bash
1999 Revenge from Mars
1999 Star Wars Episode 1
2003 Lord of the Rings
2003 Ripley's Believe it or Not
2011 Rolling Stones
2013 TRON Legacy
2013 AC DC Pro
2013 Metallica Pro
2013 Wizard of Oz
2013 Star Trek Limited Edition

2ND FLOOR
1960 Texan
1967 Super Score
1973 King Pin
1976 Aztec
1978 Bobby Orr Power Play
1979 Future Spa
1979 Gorgar
1979 Tri Zone
1980 Asteroid Annie and the Aliens
1981 Hyperball
1982 Rapid Fire
1984 Black Pyramid
1984 Attila The Hun
1986 Pinbot
1990 Simpsons
1996 Flipper Football

I noticed last night that most of my completed table goals had disappeared (PS3 version).

Most tables are now at 0 wizard goals completed. Some are a bit random though - Funhouse is at 4 standard goals complete. I checked and I got the trophy for completing all standard goals back in 2012.

I can't remember how many goals I had completed but 5-6 tables seem to be where they should be.

Shaneus

Hah, so excited. Got a message from a friend saying he's getting his Star Trek LE delivered tomorrow... and I've been invited for the unboxing :D

blurrygil

Hah, so excited. Got a message from a friend saying he's getting his Star Trek LE delivered tomorrow... and I've been invited for the unboxing :D

Legit!!

I can't seem to tell the differences in the playfields (Pro v Prem v LE). Anyone chime in?

*Edit: I see some aesthetics. Ships and such. Otherwise....nothing?*

I hope we get one locally. I'm 99% sure the SPM will get one, as he's jumped on nearly every new licensed Stern machine to date. :D

Shaneus

Legit!!

I can't seem to tell the differences in the playfields (Pro v Prem v LE). Anyone chime in?

*Edit: I see some aesthetics. Ships and such. Otherwise....nothing?*

I hope we get one locally. I'm 99% sure the SPM will get one, as he's jumped on nearly every new licensed Stern machine to date. :D
Premium/LE hash a Steve Ritchie trademark kickback somewhere that's not on the Pro model at all. Plus the LED lightshow on the side rails and of course, the starfield projector!

PS. Who's SPM?

Edit: Guy took delivery around midday, so understandably he's already set it up. Not at all bummed, just means it'll be ready to go when I get there in an hour and a half (or so) :) Strangely enough though, looking more forward to playing his Rollergames.

Shaneus

Nice. How's the scoring balance? To me, that's a modern Stern machine's weakness. Bug me all to hell.

SPM = Seattle Pinball Museum
It felt good. It's the first time I've been able to use a Stern in a home environment and it never felt like one mode or shot overpowered any of the others. I didn't make it to Kobayashi, but I did get Devastator MB a number of times and it was always fun as hell. Having played the Pro as well though, the game *definitely* needs the kickback (and the two-way slingshot on the right-hand side).

Starfield projector isn't *that* bad either. It's still kinda cheap and corny, but I dig it because of that. The only other major problem we had with it is that the main toy kept hitting the glass. Kind of bending it the opposite way straightened it enough so it didn't hit it every time, but I think it's just going to take the owner to adjust it once a week or so, so it doesn't hit it every time.

But man, it's a *great* feeling game. IMO Ritchie was so on point with it. Managed a ~58mil on one of my first games, and I have to say, it's changed my opinion on Stern machines. Build quality is astounding, and the LE extras like the shaker motor and the side rail lightshow just make it. I was genuinely surprised how solid it felt, especially next to his Rollergames (but I love the music in Rollergames much better ;) ).

Breaking news, Pat Lawlor just joined up with Jersey Jack Pinball.
Confirmed? I'll copy what I wrote on PAF:
I heard from a friend that Pinside discussion veered into Pat Lawlor territory. But honestly, I don't know why he carries so much credibility these days. His last few tables were average *at best* and his last good ones from "the golden era" were far too complicated for the casual player to pick up (just listen to Josh Sharpe's comments on TZ in a recent Coast 2 Coast Pinball episode).
That the Pro Pinball guys were going to get him to do a custom design for their first KS and there was barely a dent made towards the goal says something, IMO. People aren't necessarily keen on his style of machine. Look at X-Men vs. AC/DC or Metallica. Former being a very Lawlor-esque design, never garnered as much appreciation from pinball fans as much as the latter.

Shaneus

I got an email from Jersey Jack Pinball stating they hired Pat, so it can't get more official than that.
Care to post it here, or link to whatever page it points to?

Edit: Only reason I was asking is because I know there was discussion on Pinside about it. Wasn't sure if it was confirmed by them or someone who knew someone on Pinside.

Edit #2: Found it, and I'm posting it because I don't like to post news that doesn't have any information or links in it ;)

Lakewood, New Jersey - January 24, 2014 - Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc., the industry leading designer and manufacturer of premium, no compromise pinball machines is very proud to announce the collaboration of their next machine with the legendary pinball designer Pat Lawlor. Pat is returning to Pinball to build an EPIC machine with JJP.

Pat Lawlor Joins the Jersey Jack Pinball Team!

Pat is well-regarded by millions of pinball enthusiasts around the world for what he has been able to create over the years like the best selling pinball machine "The Adams Family". Pat will have the help and support of the JJP team along with his long time teammate Ted Estes. It is our intention that Pat will be able to create a game that truly lets him explore the space of new technology available today in the JJP platform.

"The game will be an original idea enabling Pat and his Team to imagine and to create. If you are a true pinball enthusiast you are going to love this pinball machine" said JJP Founder Jack Guarnieri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1fepFV9PU0

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sounds like the next table is likely to be Black Knight 2000, but there's also a chance it could be Big Guns, since the theme is about the same.

EDIT: I can't see shit on the image hint, can I zoom in like the CSI guys on TV?

That new UI looks nice. Long overdue. The current UI feels like it was thrown together in 1995. I hope the PC gets that PS4 table selection screen too.

Shaneus

There's a comparison pic on PAF. There are several other differences b/w it and the original art, but it's enough to make people think it's BK2K.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain the Table of the Month feature to me? Does it exist on all versions? I'm playing the Steam version.

Minsc

Gold Member
You can play the table as long as you'd like for the month without hitting any demo restrictions without having purchased it (normally un-purchased tables kick you out after you score a pretty low amount of points).

Shaneus

You can play the table as long as you'd like for the month without hitting any demo restrictions without having purchased it (normally un-purchased tables kick you out after you score a pretty low amount of points).
Low amount = lowest high score on table :)

Shaneus

OOHHHHH SHIIIIITTTT
smbhax (on PAF) said:
7 hours ago, Re: Addams Family:

https://www.facebook.com/pinballarc...?comment_id=7182026&offset=0&total_comments=4

"We've recently made a bit more progress, we've heard back from paramount from someone a little higher up than we were speaking to before, but we still don't have a completely clear path yet... progress is always good though :)"

I'm not mad on TAF, but I know a lot of people are. And I think it would give TPA a MASSIVE boost to sales across the board, not just for that table but for the rest. I think it's actually going to happen.
Only problem with it happening is that there'll be little incentive for people to back a KS
for almost all other machines after it.

Minsc

Gold Member
OOHHHHH SHIIIIITTTT

I'm not mad on TAF, but I know a lot of people are. And I think it would give TPA a MASSIVE boost to sales across the board, not just for that table but for the rest. I think it's actually going to happen.
Only problem with it happening is that there'll be little incentive for people to back a KS
for almost all other machines after it.

Well they did stick that Addams Family artwork in their newsletter yet again, so I'm glad there's a (better than nothing) chance of it working out.

Shaneus

Well they did stick that Addams Family artwork in their newsletter yet again, so I'm glad there's a (better than nothing) chance of it working out.
It was in there for the same reason they showed it during the 12 Days of Christmas... it was the lead picture used in the article they linked. Don't think it was for any other reason.

Top Bottom