• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh man, I could have plead their case for The Addams Family at the very top... 14 years ago.

I played a quick game and the only difference I noticed was that it looked like some of the images you scroll through while selecting tables had been changed. Maybe it's just a patch to prepare for new table-packs?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I played a quick game and the only difference I noticed was that it looked like some of the images you scroll through while selecting tables had been changed. Maybe it's just a patch to prepare for new table-packs?
I'm downloading the Vita update now, and this seems to be a new table pack patch. There's a bugfix for a problem with the Season One and Season Two buttons not working, but it's for table packs 19 and 20.

Vita patch is about 190 MB, FYI.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, the megapatch was my first thought, too.

I just wish they'd get the damn lighting update out for the PC.
And a texture upgrade. This is supposed to be downsampled from real life images of the real thing, yet the PC versions has textures that will please even internal graphic cards...

Hanzou

Alright I have to ask. Of the first two seasons, which pack is the one to get? I know it's a choice of preference but I have to say I do tend to like the more elaborate 90s table like medieval madness and Arabian nights but I also do like some of the simpler tables like black Knight and space shuttle. Is bone season going to appeal to me more or should I just pick whichever. I will most likely get the season I don't choose later on anyway.

Thanks!

Is there any way to use the same angle as when playing when you launch the ball (PS3)?

I don't understand how they came up with the launch-cameras on some tables. You have a choice between seeing the plunger only or two other angles that are so low you barely see the actual table. Does anyone really bend down in front of a real table when launching the ball?

Just got season one for free by selling Steam cards! yay!

Anyways, I was wondering something. The game looks TERRIBLE when I turn the resolution to 1080. All the text and table select screens and even the tables themselves are jaggy and blurry. But when I turn it to 720, everything looks a lot better.

Am I doing something wrong or does it look bad on 1080 for everyone when playing on Steam?

(I am using a very good computer on a TV that is 1080p resolution)

I guess it's fine running it in 720 but I'm just trying to figure out what is happening.

Shaneus

Season One has Twilight Zone and Star Trek TNG. Just saying.
Season 2 has Centaur, Taxi (I think?) and Terminator 2. So nyer!

But having said that, season one is more broadly appealing overall. S2 is collated perfectly for more left-of-centre titles that would be more difficult to get into if you weren't familiar with the first season tables.

Just got season one for free by selling Steam cards! yay!

Anyways, I was wondering something. The game looks TERRIBLE when I turn the resolution to 1080. All the text and table select screens and even the tables themselves are jaggy and blurry. But when I turn it to 720, everything looks a lot better.

Am I doing something wrong or does it look bad on 1080 for everyone when playing on Steam?

(I am using a very good computer on a TV that is 1080p resolution)

I guess it's fine running it in 720 but I'm just trying to figure out what is happening.
Umm... no idea. Check video drivers, also see if there's a difference when using post-processing either on or off... that used to be a problem in the past for AMD/ATI owners, but I think some people still sometimes have that problem (although changing to 720p in those instances didn't fix it).

I'm slowly getting through all the standard goals for every table. I still hate No Good Gofers, since i can never make that damn hole-in-one shot.
That's why I prefer flow tables. Very rarely shots are difficult to get, just difficult to get in succession. Steve Ritchie 4 lyfe.

Umm... no idea. Check video drivers, also see if there's a difference when using post-processing either on or off... that used to be a problem in the past for AMD/ATI owners, but I think some people still sometimes have that problem (although changing to 720p in those instances didn't fix it).

Ok I found the problem. I was running the game in "Windowed Fullscreen" and it looks very jagged and terrible in that mode. I switched it to "Fullscreen" and it looks incredible now.
I had originally run it in windowed mode because it fixed lag issues with my old computer but my new computer runs in fullscreen with no lag issues so I can run it like this no problem.
Man, it really looks amazing now!

Vyse24

Pinball Arcade said:
Hey everyone. We can now officially announce that the Pinball Arcade has extended it's WMS license! A bunch more Williams and Bally tables are included in this deal that will let us keep preserving awesome pinball for as long as our sales stay strong!

Kicking us off will be the long awaited Steve Richie masterpiece, Black Knight 2000!!!

Black Knight 2000™ (1989): The Black Knight rides again in this brilliant sequel to the Steve Ritchie hit from 1980. Players take on the role of good versus evil as they battle the Black Knight in high velocity gameplay. The game is all about speed and quick reactions, highlighted by features such as an upper and lower level, repeating U-Turn and Skyway Loop shots rewarding accurate shooters and a Drawbridge that lowers to reveal a ramp. The patented Magna-Save™ feature from the original game is back. This allows players to activate a ball saving magnet preventing balls from draining. Great scores are achieved by collecting Lightning Wheel Awards, scoring Hurry-Up bonuses and playing the three awesome Multi-Ball rounds, including The King's Ransom Wizard mode. 5,703 units of this table were produced.

I wonder what tables will be preserved with the new deal.

Shaneus

You just fucking know it's High Speed :D

Edit: Interesting that they say "as long as our sales stay strong". Does that mean they've gone from having a limited license (I assume what they were working with before was "You can license any 15 of our games") to an indefinite one?

Oh god, I want them to release that table now. Need that music.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Season 2 has Centaur, Taxi (I think?) and Terminator 2. So nyer!

But having said that, season one is more broadly appealing overall. S2 is collated perfectly for more left-of-centre titles that would be more difficult to get into if you weren't familiar with the first season tables.

Taxi is Season One, I think, with Harley-Davidson Third Edition.

frogg609

I bought season one on PS4 and love it. Will I be able to play those tables on my Vita, pc, ps3 (in another room) or my ipad?

Shaneus

Fuck no, I'm not quoting it so it'll resize.

Edit: Wait, what's that? Not high-res enough?

Edit #2: I want this guy's pin collection. I think something like 80% of his games were Ritchie titles (from memory)
Dirty Harry
AC/DC Prem
BSD
Spiderman Black
WCS
T3
F-14
Flash
Firepower
Black Knight
Stern 9-ball something
AND IN STORAGE!
Rollergames
Black Knight 2000
The Getaway
T2
Family Guy
ST:TNG

Surprised he doesn't have High Speed, figured that would've been on the list. But still, I'd kill and maim for that collection. First thing I'd do though is sell T3, Family Guy and that Stern one, get HS (obviously) and No Fear. And the new Star Trek LE, obv. (going to play that tomorrow, along with Rollergames again. So pumped!)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just had a really good run on Bride of Pin-Bot. This is definitely one of my new favorite tables. I love everything about it from the visual and audio design to the gameplay

Shaneus

So I've come back from my friend's place again (the one who owns a Star Trek LE and Rollergames):
* I'm liking ST more and more, the more I play it. It's probably the best feeling Stern table I've played, but that said... it still feels very much like a Stern table (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing).
* I *really* like Rollergames now. Last visit, the focus was definitely on the delivery of the new machine, but after having played Rollergames a lot more, it's clicked and I'm now a massive fan of it.
* Could not get into the swing of things on ST. Conversely, I was playing amazingly well on Rollergames. Probably helps that I own a Sys 11 at home anyway, but I just couldn't get a good groove on with the newer machine.
* Rollergames has made me re-contemplate my choice for the next machine. I was originally thinking FT because it's a relatively safe theme and it's fairly basic, but I think a more obscure title is more likely to endear itself to me than something "safe". Which is why I'm now thinking about No Fear :D

I've also come to another conclusion: The main difference in the feel between the games is how "sharp" the flippers are. The Williams ones have a definite mechanical "shunt" to them, where it clunks on and clunks off, kind of like throwing a big, heavy lever on something... whereas the Sterns are more like a switch that you flick on and off. They're more snappy and instant, but a little too much so for how I like machines to feel.

...if that makes sense.

But I'm glad I kinda worked that mentality out for myself... it's been bugging me for ages but I've finally been able to verbalise it (to an extent).

PS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYTJ96hgVs

Shaneus

I know! It was incredible until they had to start doing only licensed tables.
I was looking at the detail on the backglass of my mate's Rollergames yesterday and pointing stuff out to him that even he hadn't noticed. Like the guy in the background going over the rail, and that the backglass also has those colourful 80s shapes dotted everywhere like confetti. There's basically no detail in any backglasses at all these days. Like the "Kingpin" plates on the cars in HS and HS2, basically everything on MM, the two lead designers (Pat McMahon and Mark Ritchie) on Fish Tales... the lack of creativity in most aspects of current tables really, really sucks.

I dig some of the art on ST though. Greg Freres painted/designed a simple playfield that still has lots of cool little details in it.

Shaneus

So, I'm thinking of going to the Texas Pinball Festival at the end of March. Not really sure whether I should or not, but I was so damn close to going to Pinburgh for only one reason (and I know I wouldn't have done that well) and this has around 400 reasons, not to mention Steve Ritchie doing a talk or something... maybe it's worth flying out from Australia to check out.

Shaneus

The TPF FB page has confirmed Farsight will be there as well. I guess that pretty much seals it! I mean, not that everything else isn't going to be awesome, but if I have a chance to play their cab, I might as well.

Aaaaand we're back.

That was a frustrating time out.

I've been following this thread though still. I'm excited about the new Pat Lawlor table from JPP. Hopefully they spend a stupid amount of money on it, again, as that sort of seems to be necessary for a Lawlor table to shine.

Bite me Shaneus. LAWLOR FO LYFE.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Excellent news.

My realistic want list:

Police Force
Bad Cats
Jackbot
Red and Ted's Roadshow
High Speed
High Speed: The Getaway
Riverboat Gambler

Unrealistic want:

World Cup Soccer '94
Diner
Indianapolis 500

Shaneus

Aaaaand we're back.

That was a frustrating time out.

I've been following this thread though still. I'm excited about the new Pat Lawlor table from JPP. Hopefully they spend a stupid amount of money on it, again, as that sort of seems to be necessary for a Lawlor table to shine.

Bite me Shaneus. LAWLOR FO LYFE.
I've discovered a TAF that's kinda near my work, and I'm really liking it a lot. It feels a lot faster than a lot of his other designs, even though the table itself is setup shallow as hell ($2 got me 3 credits, plus two replays and two matches :D).

So he's not all bad. But a Ritchie home run feels a lot more like "pure" pinball than a Lawlor one.

Well, I still don't have a thread to post real pinball stuff so...

The IFPA started a new tradition this year - The IFPA State championships.

26 states are participating:
The top 16 WPR point winners for the previous year face off in a single elimination match playoff, with the top winner of each state going on to a national tourney that will be held at the IFPA world championships. (The 'national champ' and 'world champ' are different titles, they are just going to have the first nation final during the week of the World championships)

THIS year, The IFPA World Championships is being held in Denver! So I'll finally be able to go watch the top world players live (given I have NO chance of making it there).

I placed 11th overall in Colorado so I'll be playing tomorrow with a chance at the national finals.
I had a really great start to this year and was in the top 5 for awhile. I played like garbage most of the rest of the year so I dropped to 11.

MY chances? slim
I've gotten much better but being unemployed for 4 months left me too broke to go out and play pinball whenever I want to (and force me to sell my pinball machines). Also, of the 16 top finalists, 6-7 of them rank in the World top 100, which means they can slay a pinball machine.

I have a fair chance to win my first match but it would take a actual holy miracle for me to beat the person I'll likely face next.

Hey, if you are anywhere near Lyons Colorado, it starts at 11am tomorrow. It should be a blast.

microtubule

New shots of Black Knight 2000 on PA's FB page here.

can't wait!!

1599636_693529864001410_1435065516_o.jpg

Shaneus

Very, very, VERY different. I can't go into detail without having to mess around with MS Paint or whatever to point out the shots, just watch this video and absorb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTgj90iB7M

Oh, and the music. The music is a massive part of the appeal of BK2K IMO. Main theme obviously, but the rest of the music you hear in that first video... ungh. Music like that makes pinball exciting. I mean, the music in Banzai Run is pretty rad (and is the same hardware) but it just doesn't compare to the energy, urgency and "fuck yeah"-ness of BK2K.

It's like you're playing a pinball version of Highlander. How could that be a bad thing? ;)

Very, very, VERY different. I can't go into detail without having to mess around with MS Paint or whatever to point out the shots, just watch this video and absorb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTgj90iB7M

Oh, and the music. The music is a massive part of the appeal of BK2K IMO. Main theme obviously, but the rest of the music you hear in that first video... ungh. Music like that makes pinball exciting. I mean, the music in Banzai Run is pretty rad (and is the same hardware) but it just doesn't compare to the energy, urgency and "fuck yeah"-ness of BK2K.

It's like you're playing a pinball version of Highlander. How could that be a bad thing? ;)
Jesus that nudging...

Shaneus

Jesus that nudging...
You mean, how much he's doing it, or how well he's doing it?

I can only dream to have reflexes like that. Right now I know in which direction and how hard I should nudge, but only after it's too late... as in, right after I do exactly the opposite :/

BTW If people are keen and can't wait for the TPA release, there's a Unity3D engine-based front-end thingy for Visual PinMAME here which has a fair representation of BK2K. It's probably the most realistic physics I've felt in a simulated format. Obviously could do with a lot of tweaking, but for now it's better that it feels stupidly difficult than not difficult enough.

You mean, how much he's doing it, or how well he's doing it?

I can only dream to have reflexes like that. Right now I know in which direction and how hard I should nudge, but only after it's too late... as in, right after I do exactly the opposite :/

BTW If people are keen and can't wait for the TPA release, there's a Unity3D engine-based front-end thingy for Visual PinMAME here which has a fair representation of BK2K. It's probably the most realistic physics I've felt in a simulated format. Obviously could do with a lot of tweaking, but for now it's better that it feels stupidly difficult than not difficult enough.
how well.

Shaneus

Yeah, agreed. Watch his other videos... you might've missed it, but I mentioned a number of posts ago the machines in his collection:
Edit #2: I want this guy's pin collection. I think something like 80% of his games were Ritchie titles (from memory)
Dirty Harry
AC/DC Prem
BSD
Spiderman Black
WCS
T3
F-14
Flash
Firepower
Black Knight
Stern 9-ball something
AND IN STORAGE!
Rollergames
Black Knight 2000
The Getaway
T2
Family Guy
ST:TNG

Shaneus

Not only would I say it's the best pinball music ever, but I'd go so far as to say that I think it's the best non-recorded/streamed game music ever written. It just suits the theme so goddamn perfectly and puts you right in the mood for it.

When I say I picture BK2K to be like Highlander, I think I mean because of this song. It bears some striking similarities (in style, not composition) to the BK2K theme, as well as being in the position of putting the main protagonist in the ultimate fight of good versus evil (or something ;) ).

I can't remember where, but S. Ritchie has said that in all the games he designs, he likes to put the player in a position of fighting the machine, as if it has a personality or at least progressing through a story as a clear-set protagonist. Obviously he hasn't been in the position to design games like that in the last 10 years or so (look at AC/DC and to a lesser extent, Star Trek) but almost everything else matches that MO:
* Rollergames - Fighting against each of roller derby teams
* High Speed/The Getaway - Running from the police
* F-14 - Gen. Yagov
* STTNG - Playing as a crew member on the Enterprise/as the Enterprise
* T2/T3 - As T800 against T1000/whatever that one was in T3. The hot one.
* Black Knight/BK2K - Against the Black Knight (duh)
* Firepower - The alien... thing.
* Spiderman - I think you play as Spiderman? If so, it's putting you in an aggressive position of "fighting" things.

Anyway, it puts you in a role to get invested rather than just clearing modes a la pretty much every single goddamned Stern game that's been released. Even X-Men, a game that would lend itself perfectly to you playing as a character to fight against enemies... just has you clearing modes.

Top Bottom