• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
Any update on when the patch for the sound is coming out?

I don't think anyone has a clue... I've seen it mentioned it takes maybe 6 weeks to patch something through Sony still for smaller studios? If that's accurate, then maybe 2 months. The first "hotfix" patch still hasn't come out afaik, so the second will be a wait of however long the first took over again + some I think.

JP

Thanks JP for the information.

Now for the LOLS. I still can't buy the discounted tables because I don't own - Twilight Zone and Star Trek on PS3. I have them on the PS3 of course but they are Kickstartered table. Not registering I guess because of that.

Farsight you're not getting a single penny more from me until I can get these discounted tables. Let's go see if their support is able to deal with this - I'm doubtful.
No problem, I've been checking pretty much ever say. It was a nice surprise to finally see them.

I hope they manage to sort that out for although it may have to be done by Sony I suppose. Does it make any difference if you try buying it inside the game too?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks JP for the information.

Now for the LOLS. I still can't buy the discounted tables because I don't own - Twilight Zone and Star Trek on PS3. I have them on the PS3 of course but they are Kickstartered table. Not registering I guess because of that.

Farsight you're not getting a single penny more from me until I can get these discounted tables. Let's go see if their support is able to deal with this - I'm doubtful.
Wait, what? I have those two through Kickstarter as well, and I got the discount. But that's because I'm NA and you're not?

JP

I may well be the only person who thinks this but I think they're missing out but not using the DS 4's light bar and speaker, especially with the new dark room brightness setting.

Shaneus

I may well be the only person who thinks this but I think they're missing out but not using the DS 4's light bar and speaker, especially with the new dark room brightness setting.
I'm surprised they didn't have an option for the sound effects (as in, mechanical sounds) to be played from the controller's speaker and the rest from the TV. At least that would mask some of the low-bitrate audio, lolz

Tonche

Anyone else playing PS4 version getting a fair bit of lag / slowdown in the lower end half of tables, particularly early on after loading them?

TOTAN is a mess for the first few games I play on it.

No problem, I've been checking pretty much ever say. It was a nice surprise to finally see them.

I hope they manage to sort that out for although it may have to be done by Sony I suppose. Does it, make any difference if you try buying it inside the game too?

Tried that earlier, didn't make any difference. A quick glance at the Pinball Arcade Fans forum showed that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Wait, what? I have those two through Kickstarter as well, and I got the discount. But that's because I'm NA and you're not?
Yep UK here with a European SEN account.

Support have replied to my email, though they haven't actually offered any help, yet.

On a more positive note - having the some of the sounds coming out of the controller speaker is a fantastic idea. Please do this Farsight. A really loud crack and a quick sharp violent rumble for the Extra balls/Replay would be masterful.

Bebpo

Banned
At first was kind of anti-PS4 version, but over the last month it's been growing on me a lot. Been working through S1 doing a table at a time and really enjoy them. Hit Bride of Pinbot's 1 Billion shot last night and that was awesome! Now on Circus Voltaire and the space between flippers is way too big >__< shaking the table like crazy on that one.

So...any word on when S2 will be on PS4?

I don't think anyone has a clue... I've seen it mentioned it takes maybe 6 weeks to patch something through Sony still for smaller studios? If that's accurate, then maybe 2 months. The first "hotfix" patch still hasn't come out afaik, so the second will be a wait of however long the first took over again + some I think.

Ouch! Thanks

Reven

After trying so many times I finally got the Harem multiball the other day on a total accident. I wasn't really paying attention and it just happened. I'm both happy that its done but also kinda sad that It happened when I wasn't trying.

Minsc

Gold Member
At first was kind of anti-PS4 version, but over the last month it's been growing on me a lot. Been working through S1 doing a table at a time and really enjoy them. Hit Bride of Pinbot's 1 Billion shot last night and that was awesome! Now on Circus Voltaire and the space between flippers is way too big >__< shaking the table like crazy on that one.

So...any word on when S2 will be on PS4?

From here:

"FarSight hopes to have Season Two updated and released on the PS4 during the second quarter of 2014."

So June-July maybe?

Shaneus

From here:

"FarSight hopes to have Season Two updated and released on the PS4 during the second quarter of 2014."

So June-July maybe?
Well, I'm glad they have some kind of ballpark figure for S2 on PS4. Because they sure as hell don't have one for the upgraded lighting on PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, I'm glad they have some kind of ballpark figure for S2 on PS4. Because they sure as hell don't have one for the upgraded lighting on PC.

But they do! From the same link:

"PC : DirectX 11 Support : FarSight is currently working on DirectX 11 support for the PC version which will bring the real-time lighting/reflections of the PS4 version to the PC during the first half of 2014."

So maybe sometime in the fall if we're lucky. :)

Shaneus

Woo!

Oh, something real-pinball related: LEDs in my High Speed!
img_0833y6s8f.jpg

Yay!

Looks better than I thought it would. After initially only doing the inserts I thought it kind of looked arse, but with the GI done as well, it's quite a good deal better. Only problem was for some reason the yellow Cointaker LEDs were noticably less bright than the rest... so I just replaced them with traditional globes and we're all good again :)

Siegmeyer

That looks gorgeous Shaneus. Super jealous.

I can't get access to the discounted Season 1 bundle either. I bought all the tables as they were released on PS3, yet when I try to upgrade on PS4 store it tells me I don't have Table Pack 7 (Scared Stiff and Big Shot) or Twilight Zone.

Coincidentally, those two are the only ones that I got the Pro Upgrade for, so it's obviously causing some problem.

This is getting highly annoying, I'm really keen to play all S1 tables on the PS4, but someone at FS or Sony just can't get their shit together.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, that looks AMAZING Shaneus, super duper jelous.
I wonder when will FS enable that kind of lighting on the PC version. :p
It's so good it almost looks rea... I mean, unreal.

Shaneus

Ahaha, I certainly wasn't expecting those responses! Like I mentioned, I was super nervous after I only put the insert lights in, because they're a) insanely bright and b) completely overshadow the playfield lighting. Thankfully though, even though it's significantly brighter it somehow makes the ball swirls on the playfield *less* noticeable.

Next mod is to get some under-cab LED strip lighting, have it strobe red/blue when the siren goes off at the same time :D

Shame the playfield and the machine overall isn't in showroom condition, but it still looks pretty good regardless. At least with the LEDs as they are now, it looks a little newer than something built in 1986!

Shaneus

Let me guess... Stern at least 5 times says "Easy to play, hard to master".

PS. What the fuck is with that microphone? How annoying.

Edit: Wow. Almost sounds like he's having a go at virtual pinball and Pinball Arcade with his "real pinball" comment. Pretty sure without software like TPA pinball wouldn't be anywhere near it is now.

That looks gorgeous Shaneus. Super jealous.

I can't get access to the discounted Season 1 bundle either. I bought all the tables as they were released on PS3, yet when I try to upgrade on PS4 store it tells me I don't have Table Pack 7 (Scared Stiff and Big Shot) or Twilight Zone.

Coincidentally, those two are the only ones that I got the Pro Upgrade for, so it's obviously causing some problem.

This is getting highly annoying, I'm really keen to play all S1 tables on the PS4, but someone at FS or Sony just can't get their shit together.
Try support@pinballarcade.com. They sent me codes for Star Trek and Twilight Zone. I had the same Pro table issue. After downloading them again on my PS3 I could finally - play Star Trek on my Vita and buy the Discount season one pack.

So well done for finally coming through for me, Farsight. I'm throwing money at you again.

Earth Shaker next please!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let me guess... Stern at least 5 times says "Easy to play, hard to master".

PS. What the fuck is with that microphone? How annoying.

Edit: Wow. Almost sounds like he's having a go at virtual pinball and Pinball Arcade with his "real pinball" comment. Pretty sure without software like TPA pinball wouldn't be anywhere near it is now.

Well, they do mention new display technology and networking.

Shaneus

Well, they do mention new display technology and networking.
So funny that as soon as there's another major player Stern are instantly relegated to being followers. Like Nate on C2C said, they've hardly done anything new for pinball in the last 10 years other than exist.

Right now, I'm more interested in the boutique manufacturers who have calculated they only need to make 1,000 to make a profit and can churn out genuinely interesting machines. I honestly can't say I'm excited for the new Stern stuff whatsoever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well, I'm interested in the Stern games because I think I'll have a better chance to play them. Haven't seen a Wizard of Oz pin yet, and I'm not sure I'll see a Full Throttle soon, even though I want to try that.

I'm dying to see what the Ford Mustang pin looks like, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think this is more of FX's wheelhouse, but I'm going to say it here because I like Arcade a lot more. I've been playing a lot of Pinball Arcade and a lot of Hotline Miami, and you know what? A lot of indie games would make for awesome pinball tables. Hotline Miami probably above all others.

So, probably a stupid question, but is their anyway proper to see your friend's score currently so you can compare and compete, or is that coming in the UI update?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think this is more of FX's wheelhouse, but I'm going to say it here because I like Arcade a lot more. I've been playing a lot of Pinball Arcade and a lot of Hotline Miami, and you know what? A lot of indie games would make for awesome pinball tables. Hotline Miami probably above all others.
A Hotline Miami pinball would be a Pinball After Dark thYOU DIED, PRESS R TO RESTART

Shaneus

So, the most recent table has been leaked via the Android beta. Thought it was Who Dunnit? because of the roulette wheel?

You thought wrong.

It's actually an unannounced table...
Black Rose
. So we now know 4 of the tables we'll be getting this season. And High Speed isn't any of them :(

A Hotline Miami pinball would be a Pinball After Dark thYOU DIED, PRESS R TO RESTART
A Hotline Miami pinball would play like High Speed. Brutal as hell.

This needs to be in the game right now, looking just like that.

Looks great, though. :)
It's pretty amazing. I love that it doesn't have insane depth, because it means you can get to the best bits of the game multiple times if you're good enough. If I have a chance, I'll film the multiball launch sequence over the next few days... it kicks SO much arse.

PS. Found an Addams Family that's about 10 minutes travel from my work. $1/game or $2 for 3 (that's about standard rate here in AU) and super-low replay value. Despite my inexperience with the table, I scored two replays as well as a match out of my $2 :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have the seasons ever gone on sale on PC? I've been happy with season 1 and playing trial versions of season 2, but I know I should end up buying them eventually.

Hey, that new table is actually one i've played at a bowling alley when i was a kid a lot, so i'm really happy with that surprise! Season 3 has been all winners man!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I actually want to try Black Rose, so if that's one of the Season 3 games, I'm good.

I still think High Speed and The Getaway hasn't happened yet because of the Lamborghinis on the artwork, but that's just me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Screw Big Shot though. I don't mind the simpler tables, but I've never had balls magically go down the middle or through the sides as much as in this table.

Vyse24

Ironically, when I first posted the hint picture, I was gonna say Black Rose before switching it to Black Sheep Squadron. If only I stuck to the original plan...

Shaneus

I actually want to try Black Rose, so if that's one of the Season 3 games, I'm good.

I still think High Speed and The Getaway hasn't happened yet because of the Lamborghinis on the artwork, but that's just me.
They're not licensed. They're referred to as "the Lamborghini" (even though as the story goes, Ritchie was speeding in a Porsche... just that the Lambo styling is more disnct)) but they're just generic cars. The only thing that would stop anything is the licensing of La Grange for Getaway. But nothing on the original High Speed would cause any license issues whatsoever.

Shaneus

Okay. *Everybody* needs to listen to the latest episode of Coast 2 Coast Pinball. It's an interview with Josh Sharpe, and I could not have been happier to hear him talk about how complexity with pinball increased to it's detriment when DMDs started appearing. Explains perfectly why games these days just have far too much in them.

Really, really great interview. And further justifies why I prefer my 80s titles (and why I'm eyeballing Fish Tales as my first/only DMD pin... because of it's simplicity).

Vyse24

Maybe it's just me, but did they recently add new custom ball skins? I was going through them and I noticed that I can use skins of Goin' Nuts and Centaur, which I've never seen before.

microtubule

Black Rose looks neat, never played it but I look forward to checking it out.

Now I have a hankering for a mixed drink of some kind....

from PA's Facebook page:

Black Rose™ (1992): was designed by John Trudeau and Brian Eddy, who also worked together on the Williams' classic, The Machine: Bride of Pin-Bot™. This table gives you landlubbers the chance to live the life of a pirate on the high seas! Enter the Pirate's Cove for Multi-Ball and a chance to find hidden treasure, spiral your way to an extra ball on the Whirlpool ramp and collect torches, gun powder and cannon balls to open Davey Jones' Locker. Sink ships with the deadly accurate cannon that pops up from the playfield and fires pinballs. Three interactive video modes test your pirating skills to prove you're no scallywag. This game is loaded! 3,746 units of this classic table were produced.

Shaneus

If you guys haven't heard, there's a surprisingly good new pinball podcast out there doing the rounds. It's called Pinheadz Pinball Podcast, and it's Australian!

For an idea of what it's like, I'd probably most closely compare it to the episodes of PAPA.tv that have been airing, but in audio format. So, discussion about news etc., but also interviews with people in the local industry (restorers, distributors) as well as general chat about machines and collections and stuff. It's honestly a great listen, regardless of where it's based.

Definitely my second-favourite next to Coast 2 Coast.

Top Bottom