• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

So, that Unity3D pinball emulator/frontend has received an update, as well as a few extra tables.

Happened to take a few screenies of one of 'em:
unit3dpinball.exe_201sgdal.png
unit3dpinball.exe_2014vcft.png

(resized from 1080x1920)

Physics are hands-down the most realistic I've ever felt in a pinball sim. Balls have momentum and weight, they can go damn fast or not and they generally behave like actual balls do. No spin from what I can tell, but that doesn't seem to be all that noticeable either way.

Remember, these guys aren't getting paid to make this, and in one fell swoop they've knocked TPA out of the park. I could only wish TPA played like this on ANY of the platforms it's on (or at least had the option to). BK2K is brutal as hell as well... try getting over 5m on that.

I finally picked up a PS4 now that more games are started to trickle in, have they ironed out most of the PS4 version's issues?

They've never once patched it since release. Still cannot remap triggers from front set to rear. Still a number of glitches and wonky issues with the physics. The new lighting is great, but many of the tables have overly, unrealistically dark center playfields that swallow the ball into darkness, rendering one of the lighting modes usable really only on some of the tables. And it has all of the baggage of the what any TPA version has its shares of, starting with the dated UI and lack of smart community integration and merely continuing down the list with the still useless set of plunger cams.

So, no.

joeblow

Indiana Jones is my favorite movie series, Addams Family is my favorite table, and Dr. Dude is in my top five... so I took the time to set up Unity 3D Pinball mentioned above on my PC to see what the alpha release was like since it has these three compatible releases.

My rig is powerful enough to lock in at high frame rates, so the engine performance feels rock solid at all times. I fired up Dr. Dude, and the first thing I had to do was turn off the bloom effect. It looks horrific:

cabcalibration.jpg

With it off, the lighting looks pretty good, but some of the major lit objects are far too garish than they should be. You can't barely see any detail in things like the upper left ray lamp and the flashing heart because it is so washed out with light. The game has a lot of options though, so I'll play with that a bit. The play field itself looks very clean, though I haven't zoomed in yet.

As for gameplay, the first go around was pretty bad because of the crazy lag with default settings. Why do they have VSync on by default? In any case, I disabled VSync, which improved things a ton, but it removed my ability to keep the game at full screen, so I am forced to play in window mode instead.

Still, minor lag still exists for me even with this setting, but because the VPF forums have many people who sense the lag and those who don't, I think it might be a user setup situation that we may individually have to address. I'm not sure on that, but if it is a program issue, I have no doubt the programmers will figure it out. It is in "pre-alpha" after all.

The sound is fantastic. Very nicely emulated and has some effects not in TPA.

The physics are definitely different than TPA. The gravity is stronger in Dr. Dude, but that's not the only thing. The ball can fly around much faster from a powerful flipper punch in U3D. But there are anomalies that need to be addressed. The ball will unrealistically swerve at times, curving in arcs that look as if the ball was being pulled by a magnet. Sometimes the ball acts as if it hits a pot hole when you try to trap it, with a sudden dip on the flipper hinges where you expect it to simply slide over instead.

Also, some techniques just flat out don't work (at least on this table). I tried to post pass after a trap with quick inputs of the flipper, and the ball baaaaaaaarely moves up a few millimeters before settling back on the cradled flipper. If I slow down my input, it treats it as a normal flipper slap and the ball goes flying into the play field again.

Lastly, although control pad options work, I can't get it to recognize my left/right input on the left analog stick for nudging (up/down works fine).

All in all, I will keep an eye on the progress of this program. I'd say it has a strong foundation to be a top-tier option for real tables, maybe even surpassing TPA (for instance, U3D Pinball's plunger controls are 1,000,000x better than TPA). In order of importance, they should address flipper lag (if it is the program causing issues and not user setups) and the at-times-strange physics behavior as the main priorities.

Shaneus

I honestly didn't notice an issue with flipper lag. Maybe I'm used to it or maybe it wasn't there, I dunno. But yeah, a lot of the default settings I turned *right* down. Agree with you on basically all your points though, there are some things that aren't possible but should be, but it feels a lot less like things are kind of scripted as on TPA (like the always-predictable post passes) and of course, looks a lot prettier and more realistic.

I really can't think of a reason why the PC version of TPA doesn't look and play a lot closer to this.

Oh, and on the sound... this is how the mechanical sounds of a game *should* sound. At least there's meat to it, I'm still appalled by how tinny and weightless the sounds are in TPA.

They've done a good job in selecting tables to "port" as well, because with the exception of IJ and TAF, they have a direct competitor in TPA for Scared Stiff, BK2K and Dr. Dude. BK2K is the only one I've spent significant time on on both, and it just feels faster and deadlier on U3D. I probably wouldn't complain about the TPA version so much if I hadn't seen it in U3D and compared it directly to that IRL footage I posted earlier in the thread. But I have, so now I want similar ball physics/movement in TPA.

Remember, these guys aren't getting paid to make this, and in one fell swoop they've knocked TPA out of the park.

It certainly crashes faster than TPA ever did.

Oh wow installation is a nightmare. Inherited everything from MAME and then somehow made it worse.

Going back to TPA :(

joeblow

Played U3D a bit more. I added a frame limiter to keep the speed down and a few other tweaks. I don't know how exactly, but I manage to eliminate the flipper lag. Also, as long as I turn off VSync before adjusting the resolution, I can now play full screen at 1080P. I have to manually adjust this each time I load it though.

So I started Indiana Jones and the ball stuttering is terrible. It's not like that in Dr. Dude, so maybe it is a table tweak issue. 1812 wouldn't load for me, and The Addams Family is about on par with DD as far as ball movement goes. The sound on this table though, like Indiana Jones, is VERY low for the digital sounds or too high for the mechanical sounds.

The ball physics of this U3D is weirder than I first thought. Besides the magnetic-pull I described above, sometimes the ball whips around super fast (which I first thought was a gravity setting), but other times it crawls veeeeeeery slowly. For instance, trap a ball with the flipper held, and then release the button to time a shot - it takes eons for the ball to roll straight down the flipper on some tables.

However, it is true that the overall ball path is a lot more random than TPA. Not random in a way that suggests the ball doesn't go where you want it, but in a way that seems less scripted. Lastly, the metallic ball shine looks fabulous if you activate the option.

Yeah, at the end of the day much of the value of TPA is it is relatively no-fuss and stable. Now, if only they would up their game in the areas they are lacking compared to their competitors.

Shaneus

Played U3D a bit more. I added a frame limiter to keep the speed down and a few other tweaks. I don't know how exactly, but I manage to eliminate the flipper lag. Also, as long as I turn off VSync before adjusting the resolution, I can now play full screen at 1080P. I have to manually adjust this each time I load it though.

So I started Indiana Jones and the ball stuttering is terrible. It's not like that in Dr. Dude, so maybe it is a table tweak issue. 1812 wouldn't load for me, and The Addams Family is about on par with DD as far as ball movement goes. The sound on this table though, like Indiana Jones, is VERY low for the digital sounds or too high for the mechanical sounds.

The ball physics of this U3D is weirder than I first thought. Besides the magnetic-pull I described above, sometimes the ball whips around super fast (which I first thought was a gravity setting), but other times it crawls veeeeeeery slowly. For instance, trap a ball with the flipper held, and then release the button to time a shot - it takes eons for the ball to roll straight down the flipper on some tables.

However, it is true that the overall ball path is a lot more random than TPA. Not random in a way that suggests the ball doesn't go where you want it, but in a way that seems less scripted. Lastly, the metallic ball shine looks fabulous if you activate the option.

Yeah, I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly what needs tweaking/improving in it. From what I can tell (from memory):
* Gravity/table angle needs to be lower.
* Maybe the slow roll down the flipper is due to too much friction on flipper rubber? Definitely affected how easy it was to do a post pass (as in, completely impossible).

There are sound adjustments in the side menu BTW, which control the volume of the sounds. I was fascinated to find that the digital sounds are being played from .ogg files and not via the ROM, or are at least included in the table package (so they might indeed be played from the ROM, but maybe not). Unfortunately it looks like settings files aren't quite as open and tweakable as with VPinMAME, so I couldn't find anything to tweak gravity/table angle/friction etc.

Reflections need to be more customisable as well. The PF reflection reflects the backglass too easy (and is in focus) and the PF glass reflection is way too reflective as well (this can be tempered by having the reflection as "very low", which lowers the res of the reflection and kinda gives the right effect).

I had problems with ball detection on IJ too, with multiballs frequently losing the last ball and even some odd ball physics where the ball literally flew right at the camera. So maybe playfield glass isn't implemented fully yet ;)

Also of note that you might want to try as well is the new DX9 version of Visual Pinball. Feels a lot nicer in general to play, and of course there's proper hardware-optimised 3D objects like ramps and flippers, along with a few basic lighting effects. Looks like most VP91x tables work fine with it, I played No Fear for a while in fullscreen portrait and was quite enjoyable.

Yeah, at the end of the day much of the value of TPA is it is relatively no-fuss and stable. Now, if only they would up their game in the areas they are lacking compared to their competitors.
True, but one of their biggest downfalls is that everything on the table is too predictable. For example, post pass *always* = hold flipper with ball, quickly release then hold again. Every. Time. If I could post-pass with that sort of reliability IRL, I'd be some kind of god. And the flipper capabilities are basically zero. Hit with full force or not at all, forget about drop/live catches, no tap-passes or ball separations, it's just damn frustrating.

Maybe I'm expecting too much in thinking that it should be Assetto Corsa when really it's just NFS Shift.

I want to get into this.

I have PS3, 360, Vita, and PS4. I'm leaning towards buying tables on Vita - any reason not to? What are the best tables to start with?

Thanks

Shaneus

Tables on the Vita are generally of a lesser quality than the other platforms, but you do get YOPO/cross-buy with PS3. PS4 is the pinnacle of all the platforms currently around (except for the sound "bug" which plays mobile-quality music in the PS4 version rather than console-quality... it's pretty bad) but has no cross-buy.

Download it for PS4 first, that way you get free, unrestricted access to Tales of the Arabian Nights, and trial access (you can get up to the first high score on each table before it locks you out) on all the others. Should be enough to help you decide!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want to get into this.

I have PS3, 360, Vita, and PS4. I'm leaning towards buying tables on Vita - any reason not to? What are the best tables to start with?

Thanks

Playing on Vita is a blast. That's where I play primarily and love how quick I can fire it up out of sleep mode and rock a game.

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit! Join the club!!!

Could not have picked a better first machine IMO (says the guy whose first and only machine is exactly the same). From here, looks like she's in damn good shape, too. Better than mine, it looks. Got the topper as well you fortunate bastard.

If you have any closeups of the playfield so I can compare wear, inserts etc., I'd be much obliged :)

Woo!

Can I ask how much? And eBay, Craigslist or somewhere else?

PS. Some advice:
* Have it on as great an angle as possible. An easy game is a boring game, and High Speed playing fast is one of the greatest things ever.
* An idea for a mod you might want to do? This is mine :)
* Clean the playfield once every so often. I go over mine with Mr. Sheen (a cleaning spray thing here in Australia) that keeps it nice and fast. If you haven't cleaned it yet, I'd go over it at least once.
* Join Pinside, sign up to the High Speed owners club :)

It's a pretty basic game mechanically, so there's no advice I can really offer you that's specific to the machine. Except for maybe to get some white rubbers, black ones are stiffer and play quite a bit slower to white ones.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
That cab mod is amazing! Found it on craigslist about 2 hours away for $1000. I'll get some better pics of the playfield later today.

Had some mylar that was bubbling and peeling so I got that up (lost a little paint around a couple inserts). Still dealing with a little glue hell but it's looking soooo much nicer.

The GI lighting connector is fried, but that should be an easy fix. Everything else works great and its a blast to play!

Shaneus

For that mod, this is what I used:
24VAC-12VDC converter (needed this for the topper as it's just a 12VDC car emergency light, not the proper one like you have)
Police light control/flasher box thingy (Only mod I had to do for this was to solder switch A closed, because when there's voltage applied you need to push a button first. Now, it goes to that preset as soon as it gets power from that converter)
1m red LED strip
1m blue LED strip
(you can get those LED strips anywhere, I just linked you to where I got them from)

Thing with LED underlighting on cabs, majority are only ever done with sound detection or off the GI voltage. With that police light, it goes off the same time as the topper so it actually matches the style of the game. I'm pretty happy with it, and it cost me about $20 total!

That's a damn good price BTW. Mine has a little mylar bubble, but the entire playfield isn't entirely covered... only around the slings and on the above-right orbit where the ball drops off the upper ramp (near the rightmost ramp, the "1000" insert is lifting pretty severely).

One thing you might be interested in as well is a playfield protector. I've ordered one for mine but it might be worth considering as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I want to start hunting for a machine again. My problem is that, even though we have a large home, we don't have a basement or a good space for a pinball machine. I could maybe setup a space in my garage, but I don't know much about that.

Shaneus

You know, I've never let the theme sit on this before.

It's so 'bowling alley'-y
Um, which table are you referring to?

I think I want to start hunting for a machine again. My problem is that, even though we have a large home, we don't have a basement or a good space for a pinball machine. I could maybe setup a space in my garage, but I don't know much about that.
If you buy it, you'll find room ;)

Alternatively (and more appropriately), have a serious think about where it could go and things you could potentially move/downsize to fit it in. Hell, I live in a one-bedroom unit and found room for a machine! I had to get rid of an "entertainment center" and put my amps/consoles on made-for-toolshed shleving (though admittedly, it doesn't look that bad) but I did it. And I'm still considering a second machine!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's one spot I can think of putting it, but its on the second level. The weight isn't the problem since we have a treadmill upstairs (it would be a bitch to move though), its more that I won't be able to play when my wife goes to bed because it would be pretty loud.

I don't know - I guess I could find space in my office for one, but I'd have to do a lot of rearranging. And it would really ruin the feel of the house, haha.

mosaic

go eat paint
I don't know how long the thread title has had "Brighton" in it, but I find it cool that a pinball-heavy arcade, called "The Arcade" opened in Brighton, Michigan about 2 months ago. Whoever runs it certainly has a bankroll -- they pretty much have half of The Pinball Arcade lineup, most of the newer Stern machines, and that Little House on the Prairie machine with the video screen.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I posted on Facebook asking if there's a chance in hell for World Cup Soccer and/or Indy 500. The former is probably unlikely, the latter likely, but still, they would be nice to have.

Shaneus

The game's menu theme. Not any particular table.
I wasn't sure what theme you were talking about. As in, I didn't even contemplate audio... I thought you were talking about the aesthetics of a particular table and it's "theme" (being sports, magic, horror etc.). Thanks for clarifying enough for me to deduce it, though ;)

I don't know how long the thread title has had "Brighton" in it, but I find it cool that a pinball-heavy arcade, called "The Arcade" opened in Brighton, Michigan about 2 months ago. Whoever runs it certainly has a bankroll -- they pretty much have half of The Pinball Arcade lineup, most of the newer Stern machines, and that Little House on the Prairie machine with the video screen.
It's a reference to the lyrics of Pinball Wizard by The Who, but I don't know specifically which Brighton they're talking about... I think every precinct in every country has one!

I posted on Facebook asking if there's a chance in hell for World Cup Soccer and/or Indy 500. The former is probably unlikely, the latter likely, but still, they would be nice to have.
Are they in a respondin' mood? Might be time to ask about High Speed again.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Are they in a respondin' mood? Might be time to ask about High Speed again.

Not yet, but I did get some likes from readers for the ask. I just think that with the World Cup this year, it's a great time to start to get the licensing together for a Kickstarter for WCS Pinball.

Shaneus

That's good thinking. Although I'm sure there was some other anniversary that happened in the last year or two which a Kickstarter would've been perfect for, but wasn't. Struggling to think what it was, though.

PS. For those who may or may not give a shit, Steve Ritchie wrote this on his Facebook today:
I believe this is the 40th anniversary of the day I walked into Atari Games in Los Gatos, CA looking for work and getting hired. In 1974 I was 24, and even though I left home when I was 17 and never returned except to visit, I remember my Mom saying, "What kind of company is that, making games? Do you really think you are going to make a career of this? I'm glad you got a steady job instead of playing in bands and going door to door painting house numbers on curbs, but how long can it last?".
Well Mom, it turned out to be a great career for me. There have been a few ups and downs, but I have enjoyed many incredible experiences and worked with many of the greatest game design people in the history of the business. Creating games is a fantastic job that I love. I am not going to say that it's easy, in fact, it is always a tough challenge to create a good fun game that will be a success. I am thankful to have fans around the world, and as I have said before, pinball people are the best! I want to do this another 40 years! I am inspired by my friend and mentor Steve Kordek, who worked for at least 60 years in the pinball business. Working keeps us alive longer, so no retirement for me! I can hear some guys on Pinside groaning about now! :) They will have to drag me away kicking and screaming!
Good on him. 40 years of almost constant work in the pinball industry is a hell of a stretch. Let's hope for another 40!

Gigarator

It's a reference to the lyrics of Pinball Wizard by The Who, but I don't know specifically which Brighton they're talking about... I think every precinct in every country has one!

It's definitely the UK, being that the band is British. Soho and Brighton are/were both big entertainment areas back when the song was written. Brighton in particular was well known for its seafront and its abundance of arcades.

kramer

Yep, Soho is in Central London - the area between Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus - famous for lap dancing, drugs, but also arcades etc. All three of these have given away over the last 10 years to music/publishing etc.

As you say, Brighton is one of Britain's most famous seaside towns.

The pinball wizard section was filmed at my local theatre in Southsea, about 100 yards from my work. I've never seen the film, maybe I should!

Any idea when the season 2 tables are meant to be available for PS4? Seems there's been absolutely no news on the PS4 front since the game launched - what gives?

Shaneus

Played a Dr. Who today. Was in impeccable condition but the volume was turned right down. Not a bad game! Video mode am ugly and horrible as sin, but the shots feel nice. Can't comment on depth, though.

Doubt I'd go out of my way to play it again (thought there was a CV there, according to a Melbourne pin map) but it was good to play something that wasn't another goddamn Stern.

Steve Ritchie has a Facebook page?
Facebook account. I'm friends with him :) Weird seeing people like John Trudeau and Bowen Kerins comment on someone's FB status!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have some smallish news to share, had a couple of back 'n forth with the TPA guys.

•Regarding PS3's lag at 1080p, bugs, etc.

- PS3 version has (I quote) "a MEGA-patch coming up", so we'll hopefully all feel differently when that hits thanks to all the improvements it'll bring to the port

•360's awful DLC situation

-working as hard as possible to hopefully get 360 back. Still fightin' through the legal issues preventing them from updating TPA X360. Really, really appreciate how patient everyone has been, they know that's been frustrating.
But definitely not idle over with the situation. Hoping to bring good news as soon as possible.

•Wii U port still happening or is it now scrapped, supposedly 'cause of the lower than expected adoption rate of the platform?

Yes, definitely still have plans for Wii U version, don't expect to hear more about it until later this year tho.

Shaneus

How'd you manage that? Find out about anything for the PC DX11/graphics/lighting update? Where the fuck is my advanced flipper control?!?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is Season 3 coming to Vita anytime soon?

Also, looking forward to playing a High Speed machine tomorrow at the Louisville expo. You guys all talk so highly of it, ha. I'm also going to be sampling some Virtual Pin cabs. I'm either going to buying/building a Virtual Pin or getting some info on what my first actual pin will be. SUPER excited!

Shaneus

Is Season 3 coming to Vita anytime soon?

Also, looking forward to playing a High Speed machine tomorrow at the Louisville expo. You guys all talk so highly of it, ha. I'm also going to be sampling some Virtual Pin cabs. I'm either going to buying/building a Virtual Pin or getting some info on what my first actual pin will be. SUPER excited!
High Speed is like crack. I would easily recommend getting one over a virtual pin and any number of more complex/newer machines... it's probably the most basic and easy for you to work on than any other. No multiple-levels, no tricky toys, not much can go wrong and there's plenty for you to tinker with :)

The guy I bought mine off (who makes a living servicing/repairing machines) said it was pretty much a perfect one to start with. Maybe he was giving me the hard sale, but after owning it for 6 months I can't disagree with him one bit.

Cheap as hell, too!

Couldn't recommend starting with a physical machine as your first enough. Best part is, with majority of classic/popular pins, unless you buy unwisely, you're highly likely to make 90% if not all your money back if you decide to resell it. It's like a car. Buy a new one and risk it depreciating quickly, or buy a classic with the knowledge you'll probably be able to make your money back.

Oh, and the rules are as easy as all hell as well. Good game for friends to pick up on how to play, no worries.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
High Speed is like crack. I would easily recommend getting one over a virtual pin and any number of more complex/newer machines... it's probably the most basic and easy for you to work on than any other. No multiple-levels, no tricky toys, not much can go wrong and there's plenty for you to tinker with :)

The guy I bought mine off (who makes a living servicing/repairing machines) said it was pretty much a perfect one to start with. Maybe he was giving me the hard sale, but after owning it for 6 months I can't disagree with him one bit.

Cheap as hell, too!

Couldn't recommend starting with a physical machine as your first enough. Best part is, with majority of classic/popular pins, unless you buy unwisely, you're highly likely to make 90% if not all your money back if you decide to resell it. It's like a car. Buy a new one and risk it depreciating quickly, or buy a classic with the knowledge you'll probably be able to make your money back.

Oh, and the rules are as easy as all hell as well. Good game for friends to pick up on how to play, no worries.

I'm on the fence about how I want to build a collection. I think what I'd REALLY like to do is have 1 physical pin and a virtual pin. The physical pin could possible rotate if I ever got bored of the machine, and the virtual pin would allow me to experience games like Cactus Canyon, TotAN, TZ, etc that I would never be able to afford or host.

From what I've been reading over at pinside, a really well built and equipped virtual machine does a pretty damn good job of replicating that physical pin feel. Interestingly enough, one guy said that he played Avatar on his virtual machine and then his physical pin, and he preferred the virtual for whatever reason.

But we'll see. There is supposed to be at least one set of virtual cabs at the expo, and if there's more, that will definitely help me cement my decision. I want to own a machine, I just haven't decided what. I'll finally get to play Tron, Avengers, Iron Man, LotR, and even the new WoZ game this weekend. Getting my hands on the newer "popular" machines will definitely be an eye opener.

Shaneus

From what I've been reading over at pinside, a really well built and equipped virtual machine does a pretty damn good job of replicating that physical pin feel. Interestingly enough, one guy said that he played Avatar on his virtual machine and then his physical pin, and he preferred the virtual for whatever reason.
Honestly, I would seriously advise against starting off with a virtual pinball. Even if you only have a real machine for a few months, at least then you'd know. You'll be able to sell a physical machine for what you paid for it. With a virtual... who knows?

It's like saying you want to get into playing guitar so you'll start off with Rock Band. It might feel like a simulation of the real thing, but you'll damn well know it's nothing like it.

Besides, there's a reason people own 30+ physical machines ;)

Anyway, there was a dude who posted earlier who picked up a High Speed for a grand. There's no way you'd be able to find a full-size virtual cabinet for that much. And where's the fun in tinkering with things like angles and cleaning the playfield and replacing bulbs? Replacing rubbers to affect how the ball reacts in play? Getting shitscared by daddy longlegs, cobwebs and the slight potential for electric shock? The joy in buying a pinball machine isn't just in the playing of it, just like the joy in owning a car isn't solely in the driving of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Honestly, I would seriously advise against starting off with a virtual pinball. Even if you only have a real machine for a few months, at least then you'd know. You'll be able to sell a physical machine for what you paid for it. With a virtual... who knows?

It's like saying you want to get into playing guitar so you'll start off with Rock Band. It might feel like a simulation of the real thing, but you'll damn well know it's nothing like it.

Besides, there's a reason people own 30+ physical machines ;)

Anyway, there was a dude who posted earlier who picked up a High Speed for a grand. There's no way you'd be able to find a full-size virtual cabinet for that much. And where's the fun in tinkering with things like angles and cleaning the playfield and replacing bulbs? Replacing rubbers to affect how the ball reacts in play? Getting shitscared by daddy longlegs, cobwebs and the slight potential for electric shock? The joy in buying a pinball machine isn't just in the playing of it, just like the joy in owning a car isn't solely in the driving of it.

Oh for sure. That's why I would prefer to own at least 1 physical pin, I just don't have space for more than 1 or 2. Without a basement, it just won't work. We have a 3800 SF home, and my office would make a fair game room, but I have an L-shaped desk with bookshelves that eats into that. The upstairs loft is wonderful for this sort of thing, and that's ideally where I'd fit a machine or two. But that said, I can't fit more than that because of the rest of the furniture, TV, etc.

But I go back to eventually wanting some really expensive games...Unless I fall into a huge pile of money, that won't happen. So that's why I'm at least entertaining the option of a fully kitted out virtual machine - shakers, LED's, nudge controls, etc. It would be a project for sure, but it would be fun.

I do want a machine to care for and learn about, though. That has me super excited. There's a chance I'll find a really great deal on Saturday, so I have my fingers crossed!

Top Bottom