• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fact is you can't really play TPA for that long without getting a serious hankering for playing or even owning a real machine. The game may be far from perfect but it's REALLY good for giving you that taste for pinball.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fact is you can't really play TPA for that long without getting a serious hankering for playing or even owning a real machine. The game may be far from perfect but it's REALLY good for giving you that taste for pinball.

Also this.

Considering good games can be had for $800-1200, it's not nearly as unobtainable as people think. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn home/apt space is the only issue! But yeah if you live in a part of the country with decent $/sqft you have literally no excuse. ;P

Phantom Of The Opera is live on Steam at least.

Awesome -- now if they'd just hurry up with the season four pass (to be available on Steam, not within game -- it may already be there).

Edit: Season four is available in-game -- however it lists price as "(ERROR)" so I don't know if it is really live or not. Soon, I hope!

Awesome -- now if they'd just hurry up with the season four pass (to be available on Steam, not within game -- it may already be there).

Edit: Season four is available in-game -- however it lists price as "(ERROR)" so I don't know if it is really live or not. Soon, I hope!

Do we know if we are going to have one this season after the whole "If one can't have it no one can" deal from last season?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
heres steam link to season 4 pass
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326600

game is crack..got all 3 seasons and the season 4 pass now..just can't resist. so many fun tables.
I definately prefer 90's and 2000 tables..pretty much all the DMD machines..the little videos and audio for all the games mode objectives..its just sublime.
I could play Who Dunnit and Monster Bash for days...so much fun..I wish I could afford realtables(maybe its good i don't have the space LOL)

Vyse24

Latest newsletter: http://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=Z...SMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w5cFpDSTZOVFV6T0RZM05qQTNOVEY5

october_hint.jpg

My guess: The Party Zone http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1764

snaffles

I really don't like the sound of the way that Ghostbusters table works. Phantom of the Opera looks cool but I am going to hold off on getting season 4 for the time being. Definitely looking forward to seeing what other Data East stuff they have coming.

F3MLGBH.jpg

F2D only with P2P mechanic... smh :(

I remember that Playboy machine modded into a customized Ghostbusters pin was pretty sick for a custom job

I really hope this changes and it ends up in the Pinball Arcade at some point. I want this table on my PC, but i will still give it a chance when it comes out on phones.

"We are currently trying to work out a deal with Christopher Lloyd so that we can announce a last minute stretch goal to preserve his likeness"

Be careful he does not deliver Farsight a shoddy bomb casing full of used Pinball machine parts instead.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Update on my WCS! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Before:

300239-i.jpg

After:

300240-i.jpg

Next up? Order LEDs, flipper mechs, and start stripping the playfield clean! :-X

snaffles

Nice job cleaning up that machine, it looks in showroom condition now.

After re-purchasing Pinball Arcade since having my PS+ account lapse all of my high scores and achievements have been wiped for some reason, so that sucks. Tried out Phantom of the Opera on steam, I really suck at it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for real tables I should make an effort to seek out to play? I am heading over to the US for a month and have not played much of any real pinball in around 15 years, aside from a couple of games on a busted Scared Stiff machine at the local cinema here.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice job cleaning up that machine, it looks in showroom condition now.

After re-purchasing Pinball Arcade since having my PS+ account lapse all of my high scores and achievements have been wiped for some reason, so that sucks. Tried out Phantom of the Opera on steam, I really suck at it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for real tables I should make an effort to seek out to play? I am heading over to the US for a month and have not played much of any real pinball in around 15 years, aside from a couple of games on a busted Scared Stiff machine at the local cinema here.

Thanks - can't wait to get this thing done!

Regarding tables to play...

Man, there are SO many tables. Where are you visiting in the US?

snaffles

I'm going to be in the midwest, staying in Kansas City, but I'll be travelling up to Minneapolis for a week as well. I had a look on that pinball map website and that was the problem, they listed over 100 different machines all over the place. It looks like the modern Stern games are fairly prevalent so I should be able to play those easily enough. I want to try out that Wizard of Oz machine too so I will try to find that. More just a case of if there is anything you think is particularly unique worth seeking out, as I am sure I will play a bunch either way.

adroit

Phantom of the Opera has a low frame rate on my 2012 Nexus 7. If all the season 4 tables are going to be this way, I'm going to have to stop buying tables until I buy a faster Android device. Perhaps the rumored HTC Nexus 9 (or whatever it's actually going to be called).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think if I ever had room for a real pin it would have to be one of the Elvira pins

After playing a Monster Bash recently, I can sort of see the allure. However, that game fetches a huge price. I think EatPM is significantly more affordable. Game is pretty fun, too.

Getting a pin in your home is incredibly rewarding. Space isn't nearly as much of a problem as I initially thought it may be. Yeah, we have a huge house, but no basement. My office is my game room. That said, I've got room for probably 3 games. I'll definitely have 2 soon. 3 will be a while.

I'm mobile, so I can't give a good comment on the US trip post above...But I can say that WoZ surprised me. Definitely worth playing if you can find one. Very very different from everything else out there.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Good guess, but it plays Purple Haze at one point and I doubt the licensing for that is cheap.

I think it could be Red and Ted's Road Show. The title characters shout "party time!" when a ball is locked, it's a Pat Lawlor title and his follow up to Twilight Zone, and I'm confident Every Little Thing is cheaper to license.

Shaneus

nicoga: Did you order your LEDs yet? If not, I'd highly recommend going to Comet Pinball. Just colour match (except yellow/orange inserts, those are never as bright as others... just get warm white :)) all inserts and go the "natural" colour domed globes for GI (I think colour-matching plastics on pinball machines looks fucking uuuugly).
All their single-SMD globes are around 60c and way cheaper than Cointaker. Seem like the same quality too, and Art is a fucking great guy to deal with... if you have questions, he'll happily help you out 100%. Even if it's just advice.

There are special domed lenses Art at Comet sells that are amazing for GI. Look for the ones that are single-SMD and have a funny looking dome on them, I think they're about 60-70c.

MattyH

After playing a Monster Bash recently, I can sort of see the allure. However, that game fetches a huge price. I think EatPM is significantly more affordable. Game is pretty fun, too.

Getting a pin in your home is incredibly rewarding. Space isn't nearly as much of a problem as I initially thought it may be. Yeah, we have a huge house, but no basement. My office is my game room. That said, I've got room for probably 3 games. I'll definitely have 2 soon. 3 will be a while.

I'm mobile, so I can't give a good comment on the US trip post above...But I can say that WoZ surprised me. Definitely worth playing if you can find one. Very very different from everything else out there.

party monsters was the first TPA table i got the wizard goals on in some respects it plays a lot better than scared stiff

Shaneus

For those looking at buying Season 4 on TPA for PC, it won't be listed on the store page for TPA nor can you buy it in-game. But if you search on the store for it, it appears and you can buy it.

As it is now, I'm a proud owner of a S4 Pro :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Season 2 is coming out at retail for PS4 and Xbox One in December (MSRP is €29), Xbox One will also have Season 1 and Season 3 available (PS4 will get down S3 the road, blame Indie@Xbox) even tho at the moment those are only announced as digital download.

Talk about missed opportunities, having the trilogy all in one disc would have been really cool... this
not so much, IMO.

I hope an Ultimate edition will come out next year with S1 to S4 and TAF included for €60.

Btw, didn't notice that you can now buy the Season 3 pass on iOS, so it seems that after a season is packed up they'll offer a season pass at discounted price... glad I've waited to buy S3 tables.

Shaneus

Btw, didn't notice that you can now buy the Season 3 pass on iOS, so it seems that after a season is packed up they'll offer a season pass at discounted price... glad I've waited to buy S3 tables.
Yeah, that's how they're doing it from now on for iOS. I don't know if you knew, but that's why they pulled the season passes for iOS, Apple didn't like them selling content ahead of time.

Dash Kappei

Yeah, that's how they're doing it from now on for iOS. I don't know if you knew, but that's why they pulled the season passes for iOS, Apple didn't like them selling content ahead of time.

Yeah, knew about that and hated that they seemed to pull the option from the other platforms as well for no reason.

Btw, TAF successfully funded at $115k.
The "preserving Lloyd's likeness" stretch goal they mentioned never materialized in the end... bunch of amateurs :/

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
eh StrakaC spent 15mins in photo shop and I think it looks better now
screw lloyd ); I always prefed the original Cast anyways.

pSZAKaf.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Playfield is finally clean on my WCS! Going to buy some wax so I can wax it after I get all the shit under the playfield sorted out. Cliffy's are on their way, LEDs have been ordered, and new flipper assemblies should be here soon. Only thing I haven't ordered is a new soccer ball. They are supposed to be printing turquoise ones soon, so I may just hold out for that. It should coincide with me getting everything put back together so I can figure out what switches need to be replaced, too.

Busy busy busy busy busy. I need to get this done before I host our annual chili cook-off as well as for my wife's work holiday cookie party that we host! :|

Velinos

Having never owned a pinball machine myself, what kinds of regular maintenance should I expect when I finally get one other than occasionally opening it up to clean out dirt and grime? Are most mechanical parts fairly easy to repair/replace (I assume those are the sort of things that will break down and need to be fixed occasionally)? I just don't want to buy a machine and one day find one flipper no longer working and realize that to fix it requires de-soldering and replacing half of the electrical components.

Shaneus

Playfield is finally clean on my WCS! Going to buy some wax so I can wax it after I get all the shit under the playfield sorted out. Cliffy's are on their way, LEDs have been ordered, and new flipper assemblies should be here soon. Only thing I haven't ordered is a new soccer ball. They are supposed to be printing turquoise ones soon, so I may just hold out for that. It should coincide with me getting everything put back together so I can figure out what switches need to be replaced, too.

Busy busy busy busy busy. I need to get this done before I host our annual chili cook-off as well as for my wife's work holiday cookie party that we host! :|
Did you read my advice on LEDs? Please don't colour co-ordinate the GI lamps with the plastics, it almost always looks ugly. I'd go for the "natural white" (vs. cool/warm white) at Comet. And for yellow inserts, don't buy yellow SMDs, just use warm white. Yellow ones are almost always notably dimmer.

Question: How's the wear around the scoops you're getting Cliffy's for? Obviously they're always a good indication of how worn the playfield is. My RBION scoop was flawless!

PS. For LEDs, you can totally use this map, just replace the Noflix-brand name with whatever you decide to use. Use it as a guide and not a strict must-adhere-to and it'll give you an idea of what you should get.

Having never owned a pinball machine myself, what kinds of regular maintenance should I expect when I finally get one other than occasionally opening it up to clean out dirt and grime? Are most mechanical parts fairly easy to repair/replace (I assume those are the sort of things that will break down and need to be fixed occasionally)? I just don't want to buy a machine and one day find one flipper no longer working and realize that to fix it requires de-soldering and replacing half of the electrical components.
Not much more than that, to be honest. You WILL want to tinker with it once you get one, but as long as it's in good working order, you won't find you'll need to do much beyond cleaning.

As for replacing things like flippers, almost everything is quite simple to repair/replace with the exception of pop bumpers that can be a bit trickier. Soldering is damn easy, it doesn't require precision at all and few things require more than two solder points. If you have done any kind of soldering in the past, you'll be fine.

If you're (relatively) mechanically minded and like to tinker, you'll be fine. I consider quite inept at times when it comes to some technical things, but owning a pinball machine and learning how they work provides an almost perfect learning curve. I was surprised how quickly I was able to pick up on fixing basically anything that could go wrong with them. And if not, there's always Pinside :)

I finally got that goddamn Cheat Shot on Tee'd Off, which has finally gotten me free of table goals forever. It only took me 10 months to finally get there.

Also, just recently got a chance to play the Williams Indiana Jones table, and man, i'm already in love with it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did you read my advice on LEDs? Please don't colour co-ordinate the GI lamps with the plastics, it almost always looks ugly. I'd go for the "natural white" (vs. cool/warm white) at Comet. And for yellow inserts, don't buy yellow SMDs, just use warm white. Yellow ones are almost always notably dimmer.

Question: How's the wear around the scoops you're getting Cliffy's for? Obviously they're always a good indication of how worn the playfield is. My RBION scoop was flawless!

PS. For LEDs, you can totally use this map, just replace the Noflix-brand name with whatever you decide to use. Use it as a guide and not a strict must-adhere-to and it'll give you an idea of what you should get.

Thanks for that list and your suggestions. I actually ordered my LEDs over the weekend. Should (hopefully) be here Thursday or Friday. I'll be out of town all next week, so I won't be able to get anything done then. However, I fully expect to have most of my major fixes/tweaks done by the end of next week. After that, it'll be making sure everything else is cleaned for reassembly. Once everything is back together, I'll be able to do a better job with switch tests and such.

I did my first solder job tonight on WCS. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but damn was it scary taking a hot iron to my main power board, ha. Desoldering is much harder than soldering. Like, wires on solenoids or contacts? Not bad. Pins on a PCB? Fuuuuuuck that.

Anyways, here's my work!

New pin front
IMG_20141015_000515.jpg

Back 1
IMG_20141014_235934.jpg

Back 2
IMG_20141014_235913.jpg

The slight burning is from back when the GI was already burnt. Like I said, getting that soldered in wasn't as bad as I thought...But getting the old pin off was SO hard.

Shaneus

Nice work, you've already done far more than I have with either of my machines! I should strip down High Speed, but fear how long it'd take. How long did it take you to strip yours down?

BTW If you have it in and running and thing the LEDs look a little too flashy/strobey, I can't recommend highly enough getting an LED-OCD. Was going to suggest getting one as soon as you could, but it looks like they're out of stock. In any case, watch the videos on that website (http://ledocd.com/) and look up others on Pinside. IMO it's damn well worth it! Think I'll even get one for HS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice work, you've already done far more than I have with either of my machines! I should strip down High Speed, but fear how long it'd take. How long did it take you to strip yours down?

BTW If you have it in and running and thing the LEDs look a little too flashy/strobey, I can't recommend highly enough getting an LED-OCD. Was going to suggest getting one as soon as you could, but it looks like they're out of stock. In any case, watch the videos on that website (http://ledocd.com/) and look up others on Pinside. IMO it's damn well worth it! Think I'll even get one for HS.

Once my LED conversion is done, I'll start thinking about if the LED-OCD is worth it down the line. It'll be hard to judge until I've played mine.

I've actually done a kind of quasi-strip down. The top of the playfield was completely stripped. Underneath, I'm only removing parts as I need to for cleaning, then putting them back. I've cleaned the wiring harness with shop towels + simple green. Multiple times. I'm going to clean the inserts with isopropyl + q-tips as I put the LEDs in, and the same with the boards. I'll clean as I get to them.

I didn't build a rotisserie like most people suggested. It just wasn't worth spending $100+ on the mats to build something that I'm only ever going to use once (MAAAAYBE twice). The process has been really eye-opening, but also stressful. I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to have a bear of a time putting this back together, haha.

Shaneus

That's a really, really good idea about the partial stripdown. I'm also kinda blessed with High Speed in that there's basically no awkward gear below the playfield, just the usual flippers, globe holders and such.

I might try and get some kind of footage of the LED-OCD this weekend. It's easy to compare Ripley's, because you just use the TPA version for comparison. You can see during attract mode the lights flicker, that's because they're trying to fade but the TPA engine doesn't support it (and it's the same effect you get with LEDs). With the OCD, it's beautiful! Also great is adjusting brightness... I don't have any of my inserts at maximum brightness at all. Oh, and no 60Hz strobing :D

Dash Kappei

Here's the interview I had with TPA: http://youtu.be/tQx5owTyBZg - it starts about 51 minutes into the show.

Thanks for using a couple of the questions I've submitted.
Too bad about portrait, I wish you'd countered with "well shmups have had no problems getting clearance from MS and Sony since the PS1 days till today, why is your games looked at differently?" I call bullshit. I wish you'd also asked if the WiiU version is gonna use the new lighting engine.

Loved you also asked about the light scheme on the darkness settings and I liked their response.
Man thank you, it really was an awesome interview! And what a cool voice, I think you sound a tad older than you actually are :p

Shaneus

Looks like we also know what the next TWO remakes are from Planetary. Courtesy of the Pinheadz' FB page:
hOIfJlo.jpg
96E01JJ.jpg

No prizes for guessing! I was sure it was going to be Cactus Canyon. I somehow doubt MB will be as big a mover as they expect, but no question AfM will be *massive*.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's too bad those remake prices will be so high. I'd LOVE an AFM (not as much as I'd love a MM, but either game would be a blast).

Shaneus

It's too bad those remake prices will be so high. I'd LOVE an AFM (not as much as I'd love a MM, but either game would be a blast).
Yeah, but with any luck they'll push the price of original machines down. Reckon you could get a good player (ie. little beat up, but nothing too horrid) after it's out for maybe $4k. At a guess, obviously.

Edit: I meant to say earlier too, I'm not sure just how big a get the Ghostbusters license is for Farsight. Fruit Ninja on iOS received a Ghostbusters-themed update... so make of that what you will.

Velinos

Hopefully these remakes deliver. I am worried that the consensus will be something like "Yeah it looks like MM, but it doesn't play like the original." Since the price of the MM remake is not much less than the going rate for a restored MM, I would expect the difference is play to be non-existent.

Psykoboy2

Thanks for using a couple of the questions I've submitted.
Too bad about portrait, I wish you'd countered with "well shmups have had no problems getting clearance from MS and Sony since the PS1 days till today, why is your games looked at differently?" I call bullshit. I wish you'd also asked if the WiiU version is gonna use the new lighting engine.

Loved you also asked about the light scheme on the darkness settings and I liked their response.
Man thank you, it really was an awesome interview! And what a cool voice, I think you sound a tad older than you actually are :p

Glad you enjoyed the interview. Almost every single question came from this thread or the kickstarter thread. So really...THANK YOU!

I'm 36, by the way.

Dash Kappei

Glad you enjoyed the interview. Almost every single question came from this thread or the kickstarter thread. So really...THANK YOU!

I'm 36, by the way.

Well I'm glad you picked the most important questions I've submitted (light scheme/ball visibility on darkness settings, portrait, Wii U) and also about the licensing deals possibly expiring.

Woah, you're 36? You look younger. We're kinda the same age, I'm a '77 boy myself :)

Btw, I don't follow podcasts at all, never had, yours will be my first sub and I'm looking forward the next and catching up with old ones... I really, really enjoyed it. The tone of the conversations was really right up my allie.

Top Bottom