• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Found a WCS for $1700! Probably picking it up this week...
Yes! Hope it's in decent condition for you. Even if not, I've found even beat-up ones can play fairly well.

Congratulations, you have yourself a goddamn pearler there! Very jealous and happy for you. Such an underrated J-Pop game.

I assume you've locked it in? I've heard some nasty tales of people getting machines sold from under them :(

Edit: Holy shit, just watched about 15 secs of that TWD footage (at work), and man... it looks like it plays exactly like Metallica :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So the Sterns really don't have good build quality? Do any modern machines have good build quality? There are about a million boutique companies these days it seems, you'd think one or two of them would get it right.

Shaneus

It's not that they're bad, it's that compared to 90s machines they just feel toy-like and light. Jersey Jack did damn well with Wizard of Oz though, played one in Texas earlier in the year and it feels like a 90s machine... solid as hell.

Can't really comment on most of the boutique manufacturers, but I did also play Predator by Skit-B in Texas and that felt quite solid as well.

Shaneus

Yeah, but with all due respect... Avengers was a massive turd in every aspect. Not surprising build quality was less than "normal".

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes! Hope it's in decent condition for you. Even if not, I've found even beat-up ones can play fairly well.

Congratulations, you have yourself a goddamn pearler there! Very jealous and happy for you. Such an underrated J-Pop game.

I assume you've locked it in? I've heard some nasty tales of people getting machines sold from under them :(

Edit: Holy shit, just watched about 15 secs of that TWD footage (at work), and man... it looks like it plays exactly like Metallica :/

Thanks - WCS is SUCH a family friendly game. My wife was like, "Soccer themed? Really?" I was like, "No don't worry - it's awesome."

And the game IS dirty. Playfield needs a good cleaning, ramps need cleaning, and the right flipper needs adjusting (possibly a rebuild). But the goalie and ball work, and none of the plastics are broken.

However, I'll be taking a look at it on Sunday. A local pinball friend of mine has a WCS and found this one for me. He's already bought it and will be bringing it to his place for me inspect with him. It's mine if I want it. And, assuming nothing is broken or whatever, I'll take it. However, if anything is shot to shit, I'm not going to take it. I don't want a $1700 WCS that will take another $500 to fix. I'm willing to spend ~$200 to fix it up.

Shaneus

He's already bought it? Perfect! The last one I remember seeing on location was quite poorly kept, but from memory the only thing that stood out as being somewhat unfixable and unsightly was the discoloured clear plastic ramps. AFAIK it's a very solidly built machine. I'm jealous!

I believe there are some good alternate translites too. Not the ones with tits all over them, but others that are apparently very well done (and don't have that dog on them). The only thing I can see not agreeing with your wife (maybe) is the light-blue theme of the playfield, it can be a bit garish. But the game itself is a blast, and the goalie makes it super easy (easier than any other game, IMO) to know what to shoot for. That you can get a goal at any time in the game (and not after having to complete mode X or Y) is genius and great for casuals.

Super stoked for you!

BTW I think you can buy replacement plastics as well, but keep in mind the game does get dirty easily so don't get disheartened if it doesn't look that great on first sight.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder how much they'd need to raise to do Elvis for Pinball Arcade.

I'm so glad they got Lights, Camera, Action, but now all the other machines I want at this point are gonna be costly to get the rights. Super Mario, Simpsons(both of them), Elvis, Space Jam, Demolition Man, Captain Fantastic, Dungeons & Dragons, Twister.

And I'm still honestly just considering getting an actual Lights, Camera, Action. That machine is stupid addictive. I kind of find the Dracula table to be a little boring.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haha I kind of like the dog! I'd actually be OK if the rest of the art was more in line with that cartoony "cuteness".

But yes, he's already bought the machine. So it's mine if I want it. I've been researching what it's going to cost me to fix various parts. If the plastics aren't broken and the ramps aren't cracked, the most I'll have to spend would be $50 for a new ball and $80 for 2 flipper rebuild kits. Probably less on the flippers if I rebuild them on my own, but I don't know how to do that (yet).

I'm not even concerned about how dirty the machine is, as I know I can take it apart and clean it. Hell, once it's cleaned up, I could flip it for a nice profit if I really wanted to (probably between $400-800). But I would rather keep it at this point, haha.

I wonder how much they'd need to raise to do Elvis for Pinball Arcade.

I'm so glad they got Lights, Camera, Action, but now all the other machines I want at this point are gonna be costly to get the rights. Super Mario, Simpsons(both of them), Elvis, Space Jam, Demolition Man, Captain Fantastic, Dungeons & Dragons, Twister.

And I'm still honestly just considering getting an actual Lights, Camera, Action. That machine is stupid addictive. I kind of find the Dracula table to be a little boring.

I wouldn't count on too many Stern machines right now. I'm honestly surprised they were able to get RBION. Elvis MAYBE, but Simpsons Party Pinball (TSPP) will likely not happen. There's a LOT to license there. I'd expect a Simpsons themed table in Zen/FX2 before TPA to be honest. But DM would be awesome. Very cool table. More Sega tables would be magical.

And boo on thinking BSD is a boring table! Actually, it CAN be a bit boring unless you know what you're doing. BSD is DEFINITELY a table for pinheads - not really working modes as much as you're working for multiball stacks. Scoring high on BSD is a sign of pinball prowess. If you read pinside forums, you'll notice that most people who own a BSD have said it made them a MUCH better pinball player. The table is hard as nails, but the art and sound package are amongst my top 5. I just LOVE the color and sounds!

E: Regarding The Walking Dead...

New videos have come out, more pictures, and more information. I gotta say, I was skeptical at first, but now it's official - this game looks like a turd. Theme is great, yes. But the game looks SO bare. It feels rehashed and shallow. Yes, code is in it's infancy (which is stupid and bullshit...How about shipping a game with complete code?), but that's no excuse. I guess there's probably a shot or two worth nailing, but I don't think I want to shoot the Well Walker and the Prison over and over and over...

I don't know. I'll probably play it at the next show I'm at, and if anyone locally picks one up, I'll get over to their place for some games. But even Pinsider's are saying they feel like it's not delivering what they wanted. I hope that I'm wrong for Stern's sake, but man...

E2: Watch this video of America's Most Haunted. If I had the funds, I'd own this game. The callouts are hilarious, the game looks fun...Wow. This is a winner!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just got back from a little Indy Pinball gathering! Every month or two, someone in the area hosts a get together - pizza, drinks, and pinball. I finally found time to get out to one this time. I figured I'd give my opinions to the group of GAF folk who might actually care!

First up, the games!

IMG_20140926_221218.jpg

IMG_20140926_221224.jpg

Everything was in great condition, so kudos to the guy who was hosting. Interesting tidbit...The guy hosting is also the guy who runs a site called wrestcrap.com that apparently is relatively popular? I don't know - he's a pretty big wrestling fan and a super cool dude.

So my review of the games!

Avengers Pro - The only Stern game in his lineup. I wanted to like this game. Like, I really really wanted to play it and say, "I need to watch for one of these to pop up..." But wow, this game is NOT good. It feels SO cheap and empty. The shots are super tight, so I imagine that a really skilled player would have a little more fun with it. However, it's not a game I enjoyed walking up to and shooting. The playfield felt so bare and boring.

Two guys were playing a game together head-to-head. They were doing much better than I was, but it still just looked like a flop. I probably wouldn't put any money into one of these on location. I can't say enough how bare this game looks and feels. It honestly looks like a cheap toy. Really sad I didn't enjoy it.

Monster Bash - So I've played MB on TPA (as many of us have), so I kind of knew what I was getting into. This game was a lot of fun. He had the Color DMD setup, so that made the dots really exciting to watch. As I'm not a great player, I didn't have the same ball times that some folks did...But this game really does play well. Hitting Dracula was a blast as he pivoted across the playfield.

World Cup Soccer
- I was stoked that he had one of these, because I'm buying one. It's mind blowing how much they crammed into these games back in the day. There's a ton of toys and ramps and mechanical goodies. I expected this game to be easy based off of what I've read and seen on YouTube. Not the case!

WCS94 is a tough game that REALLY punishes you for bad shots. Once you figure out the geometry of the goal shot, you can smack that over and over. However, one missed shot, and there's a high risk of SDTM draining. The rollover targets in the playfield mean a slow moving ball can shift it's path to really hurt you. You gotta learn to nudge on this one.

And I can't say enough how much fun it was to nail the ramps and loops. Really fantastic game that I'm sure will be enjoyed here in my home in the coming weeks (going to look at mine on Sunday and probably picking it up next week).

Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure - I had never played this before, but obviously read about and heard about how great it is. Widebody pins are awesome. I wasn't feeling this one at first. I put probably 5 or 6 games on it before it clicked with me. This is one I'd enjoy playing time to time, but I would never own it as it fetches a pretty penny nowadays.

Good number of shots, although they are a bit tight and cluttered. There isn't a ton of flow on this title. It feels a bit stop and go (unless you're nailing the main wires repeatedly). The upper playfield is fun at first, although a bit gimmicky the 4th or 5th time you play on it. I also love the lock shot in the middle. It can be a hard shot to hit (the drops have to be hit at an angle or you risk a SDTM drain), but quite rewarding once you take it out.

I will say that the Color DMD that just released (which the guy had) was INCREDIBLY well done on this title. It definitely enhanced this title more than the Monster Bash one.

WWF Royal Rumble - Holy shit. This game. WOW! What an incredibly fun game! I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. But goodness gracious, this game was SO fun! The theme is something I care absolutely nothing about, but the game is just so damn good.

The flow is incredible. The shots work really well. I love the middle field ramp. Often times, you see this as a bash toy or, well, nothing. In WWF's case, it's a ramp! And it's an extra wide ramp, so it plays well in terms of positioning. The upper playfield is also really cool, and the shot to get there is really unique feeling - a back-left corner ramp that wraps up and over the top of the back of the field.

I didn't see it, but there's apparently a 3-ball multiball that grows to a 6-ball if you keep the balls alive (without cradling) long enough. So it rewards you with more than points for keeping your multiball running. Just an overall fun table that I would love to own (which surprised me).

My overall ranking of the night!
  1. WWF
  2. WCS
  3. IJ
  4. MB
  5. Avengers

Surprised how much I enjoyed WWF. WCS was a close second - it is just a fun game that takes a LOT of work to be good at. IJ and MB were great fun. And Avengers coming in at the poop spot. I wanted to love it, and maybe I will ONE day, but for now, Avengers ranks pretty low on my list.

==================

E: I forgot to add something we talked about tonight.

It is mind blowing how much "stuff" they used to cram into games. It's really sad how stripped down new Stern games are compared to the old B/W and DE days. There's wires, toys, motors, ramps...Just so many great things that make machines REALLY fun and memorable. Anyone who can needs to find some titles in the wild and throw a few bucks into them.

Dazzyman

I love my pinball and 10yrs ago Iwas lucky enough to end up with a few and the last one I had was Medieval Madness. I actually cried when I sold that but my MS and rest of health got so bad it had to go for a tv and ps3.

My wife and I have been together coming up 4yrs, married just turned 3. She is a huge gamer like me. She's watched me playing pin on consoles.

We got talking last night of my dream to reown one even I'd it took 3yrs to save for one and couldn't believe t when she came back and said ok let's save for one. So we are going to. I'm still very ill but she can solder so sorted :)

I'd love a Twiglight zone again. I didn't get it when I owned it for few weeks but I love it on pin arcade. That or Indy Jones. I'd love Medieval Madness again but Id rather have two cheaper ones for same price or a Jersey Jack (I'm praying Hobbit is good).

As for Stern. I owned two nib tables, Simpsons party pinball which was ace and LOTR. The build quality is shit on them though. At time I was new to them thought they would all play the same and wanted to say I had a new one. They just feel clunky and the flippers just don't feel the same. A good shopped Williams Bally 30yrs + will feel better than a Stern NIB. Heard Jersey Jacks are spot on as well :)

I'm stoked that AF is coming to pin arcade it's one I've never played, never know in 3yrs might own one hehe ;)

Shaneus

Hm. It still feels like a typical Borg/Stern game (ie. not like Mustang which had a good difference since the last ones given Trudeau designed it), but it's fun to play. Shots feel nice, but it very much feels like a frankenstein of different shots. One or two that feel like X-Men, one or two that feel like Metallica, one or two that feel like Iron Man.

That said, each game I put in on it was a solid one, first two games I managed a 63m and 72m... pretty happy considering the night before (at a different location) there was a tourney held and the winning score was 80m.

Modes I didn't really pay much attention to, if something flashed I went for it, there was a bash toy MB and hut MB, the large magnet setup in front of the hut is nice (basically the magnet itself is the same size, but it's surrounded by some kind of metal core that isn't magnetic so it protects the playfield from getting chewed up) and the art on it looks really different and good compared to other titles.

The scores I managed on it were from just shooting various things and when in MB, keeping the ball alive. I felt I had more control and was able to pull off more stuff than with other games, but that may have been due to the newness of the machine. Solidly built, but when it comes down to it... it really does feel not that much different to every other Borg Stern title. I'm sure rules will tighten the game up and it WAS beta code, but while that'll add to the depth, I doubt it'd add to the feel of the game.

It's fun, I'll play it if I see it but the more I played it, the less excited I was to do so. Put in about three or four games overall and had fun, but yeah... it's not Stern's saviour, and I have a feeling people who buy it won't hold onto it for long (especially if they own other Sterns).

The highlight of the trip though wasn't Pinfest, nor TWD, but a hotel nearby (Cooks Hill Hotel, if you're in the Newcastle (AU) area) which had NINE killer machines there, all fully decked out with LED-lit speaker panels, chrome side rails/lock bars, aftermarket toppers and LEDs, all in impeccable condition. The lineup:

* Avatar LE, with ColorDMD (but only blue with smoothed dots)
* AC/DC BiB LE w/ various extra toys and decals
* Iron Man VE w/ standup protector sticker things
* Tron Pro fully modded out (but the ramp rope lights weren't working)
* Wizard of Oz Emerald City
* Stern Batman
* Star Trek LE with the Vengeance LED mod thing and a few extra toys
* Terminator 3
* Pirates of the Carribean with custom speaker panel and possibly some extra playfield mods?

Biggest surprise of them all was PotC. I'd never played it before but it was an immaculate machine and my friend and I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. Would make a great family pin if one could be had in great condition.

Only problem was some of them were varying in levels (some were quite a bit off) but still had a blast. Best collection I've ever seen on location.

Edit:
Said location.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's a pretty sick collection - jelly! And it's interesting to hear your thoughts on TWD. I want to play it, but I don't want to own it (based off of the videos I've seen).

Update on my WCS94 situation...Went to check it out tonight. Playfield is dirty but good, ramps and plastics are dirty but nothing is cracked, but that's about all it's got going for it. A few issues I can think of the top of my head:

• Soccer ball motor is burnt out
  • Kick back doesn't work
  • Backbox lighting doesn't work
  • GI doesn't work
  • Trough opto error (game can't hold the required 5-balls)
  • Ball lock on left doesn't hold the ball
  • Left kick hole doesn't kick ball out
  • The high voltage switch inside the coin door isn't wired
  • There's a switch inside the coin door when you open it that's missing entirely
  • There's a credit dot...Likely because of the opto issues or the voltage not being wired, ha
As a result of the last two, I can't run a switch test to determine what else might be wrong. I don't know how much I would feel comfortable paying for it in the condition it's in. There's a lot of possible issues hiding behind it..

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'd never get it if I were you, seems a lot of headaches (and money down to the drain) might be just around the corner with that one... plus you can't even run a full switch test before you put down money on it? Nah, I'd steer clear off that man

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd never get it if I were you, seems a lot of headaches (and money down to the drain) might be just around the corner with that one... plus you can't even run a full switch test before you put down money on it? Nah, I'd steer clear off that man

I've posted some questions over at Pinside. If it looks like a $200-300 job with some time, I'll bite. But if it grows to $500+, I'm out. Some of the problems sound as easy as replace this coil. But the other problems are potentially out of my league.

And yes, the inability to run a switch test is not so good...

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm looking to grab the season packs for Pinball Arcade but I'm not sure which platform to buy on. I have a PS3, PS4, PC, and iPad Air. I've pretty much ruled out PS3 as it is last gen and seems a bit more jaggy, lower FPS. I liked what I saw of the PS4 and PC versions, but for some reason the PS4 version appears closer to the mobile versions to me for some reason. I'm leaning toward the PC version especially if the packs show up in a steam sale. Still the idea of playing mobile from bed or on a plane is tempting even though I'm not crazy about touch controls. Is there a definitive version to get at this point?

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm looking to grab the season packs for Pinball Arcade but I'm not sure which platform to buy on. I have a PS3, PS4, PC, and iPad Air. I've pretty much ruled out PS3 as it is last gen and seems a bit more jaggy, lower FPS. I liked what I saw of the PS4 and PC versions, but for some reason the PS4 version appears closer to the mobile versions to me for some reason. I'm leaning toward the PC version especially if the packs show up in a steam sale. Still the idea of playing mobile from bed or on a plane is tempting even though I'm not crazy about touch controls. Is there a definitive version to get at this point?

PS4 currently, it has the new lighting engine (unless you plan on getting a portrait display, then PC, portrait display + pinball is godly), but is missing season 2 tables atm. PC would be next, and when the DX11 update hits be first, but they have shown no interest in getting that done. They do slightly discount the game on Steam once and a while though.

Keep in mind they make one table a month free (just for that month, not forever), so you could always go with a main platform like PS4 or PC, then just play whatever the free table is on mobile, and if that table bores you just purchase your favorite or two in addition.

Pinball FX2 has a good showing on PC too, and gets crazy 80-90% off sales sometimes (good time to go all-in), so that's something else to keep an eye on if you're interested.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Mobile is my new platform of choice, mostly because Android gets updates just as quick as Steam. The only reason I won't buy them on Steam is because I will always have my phone on me and can play whenever.

And like Minsc said, FX2 is really fun on PC. Game plays fine, tables are good, too. And Steam sale means cheap. I got everything for ~$50, which is a nice deal for all the tables. Just bought TWD and GotG tables that came out not long ago, too.

I just saw one of most tragic things this weekend. There is an arcade near Philly called Arnold's Family Fun Center, with roughly 10-12 excellent tables being completely neglected. Besides 4 newer Stern tables (still not working at all), their was a Revenge From Mars, Goldeneye, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Getaway: High Speed 2, Banzai Run, and a couple others i couldn't tell either just sitting out in basically unplayable condition, or in an "arcade graveyard at the back of the building with a bunch of classic cabinets. The people their also seem to not care at all about the look of the place or any upkeep, which just makes it worse.

It kind of broke my heart.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'd be of the same mind given the situation. Myself, I'd go for it but I can afford to have a machine kind of half working while I tinker with it. But not having something you can play right away is a pretty big thing.

Tough decision... I mean, all those faults shouldn't be too costly to fix (with the exception of the soccer ball maybe... no idea if that's a custom or generic part) and generally the plastics/playfield are the hardest to get as they're all unique to the game, but it could be a while before you have a good playing game.

Might be nice to have a little project thing to work on, though! You'd be surprised how easy pins are to work on, and from what I can tell WCS shouldn't be hard at all (no troughs or anything under the playfield).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I'd be of the same mind given the situation. Myself, I'd go for it but I can afford to have a machine kind of half working while I tinker with it. But not having something you can play right away is a pretty big thing.

Tough decision... I mean, all those faults shouldn't be too costly to fix (with the exception of the soccer ball maybe... no idea if that's a custom or generic part) and generally the plastics/playfield are the hardest to get as they're all unique to the game, but it could be a while before you have a good playing game.

Might be nice to have a little project thing to work on, though! You'd be surprised how easy pins are to work on, and from what I can tell WCS shouldn't be hard at all (no troughs or anything under the playfield).

I offered him $1500 if the soccer ball motor works, $1400 if not. The motor is $110, and the rest of the stuff will run me ~$100-200 after lots of research. More just time and effort!

Shaneus

I offered him $1500 if the soccer ball motor works, $1400 if not. The motor is $110, and the rest of the stuff will run me ~$100-200 after lots of research. More just time and effort!
Is that your mate, or the guy your mate was buying it from?

I figured the soccer ball motor would be a bit pricey (there may be a way to use a motor from, say, the spinners on Whirlwind) but yeah, there are very few pins that use a lot of custom hardware. Especially the ones that appear to need replacing, it shouldn't be too bad.

If you feel somewhat up for it, I'd say it's a good deal at $1400ish, even a little bit more. I think there'd be more satisfaction in it if you fixed it up yourself, it really is kinda magical to do something major with your own machine and then bask in the rewards (like with my RBION w/ LEDs and LED-OCD, or High Speed with the under-cab LED police flashers).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is that your mate, or the guy your mate was buying it from?

I figured the soccer ball motor would be a bit pricey (there may be a way to use a motor from, say, the spinners on Whirlwind) but yeah, there are very few pins that use a lot of custom hardware. Especially the ones that appear to need replacing, it shouldn't be too bad.

If you feel somewhat up for it, I'd say it's a good deal at $1400ish, even a little bit more. I think there'd be more satisfaction in it if you fixed it up yourself, it really is kinda magical to do something major with your own machine and then bask in the rewards (like with my RBION w/ LEDs and LED-OCD, or High Speed with the under-cab LED police flashers).

Yeah, my friend paid (what he claims) $1500 for it. He wants a $50 finders fee, which I could live with...In which case it would be $1550 or $1440 depending on if the ball motor works.

I've also been talking with a few folks who have restored a WCS before. If I can learn to solder, the cost of the fixes goes down a lot. Good excuse to learn, eh? :)

And yeah, I really want to learn to do this stuff. I made sure I asked a lot of folks if they thought it would be crazy expensive or impossible. They all said since the plastics and ramps are good, I'd be able to get by spending less money than normal. And nothing is outside of the realm of being fixable. I'll be able to research and read about how to fix most everything. The rest will just be emails and posts about problems to get some help.

If he agrees to my offer, I'll be picking up sometime between tomorrow and Saturday. However, if he decides to decline my offer, it just wasn't meant to be!

Arkanoid

Neo Member
Hi, I'm new here :)

Did anyone notice that Phantom of the Opera was added to this post as the next Pinball Arcade table?
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showth...MATION-On-FarSight-Studios-The-Pinball-Arcade

Wouldn't this be the first table of season 4? I think this is the first Data East table they would be doing. I would love to see Jurassic Park ported one day, it would probably make some sort of sense with the new movie coming out, but I wonder how much the licensing would cost.

Vyse24

Hi, I'm new here :)

Did anyone notice that Phantom of the Opera was added to this post as the next Pinball Arcade table?
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showth...MATION-On-FarSight-Studios-The-Pinball-Arcade

Wouldn't this be the first table of season 4? I think this is the first Data East table they would be doing. I would love to see Jurassic Park ported one day, it would probably make some sort of sense with the new movie coming out, but I wonder how much the licensing would cost.

I was gonna say it was speculation, but I took a look at the Steam achievements, and lo and behold:
HYR4YAE.gif

Data East is in the mix. Awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice! I've not had a chance to play PotO (?) before. I LOVE Data East tables. Hopefully this means we'll see more in the future!

Shaneus

Nice! I've not had a chance to play PotO (?) before. I LOVE Data East tables. Hopefully this means we'll see more in the future!
Yeah, I reckon we'll see more of them, but it now means that licensing is more of the issue than any kind of emulation.

FWIW I believe the DE DMD titles ran on essentially identical hardware to WPC given Data East/Sega/Stern's propensity for copying *everything*.

I presume no one has seen it here yet...

But one of the programmers who works for Double Fine, in his spare time...

MADE A VR MOD FOR THE PINBALL ARCADE.

HOLY JESUS.

Seriously. The implementation is rough, but once you get it properly set up...

ITS AMAZING. I just played a bunch of BK2K... and a table like that benefits SO much from positional tracking. I'm uploading a video right now, but it'll take a while.

But seriously.

It is AMAZING.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vrcade

Shaneus

HOLY JESUS.

ITS AMAZING. I just played a bunch of BK2K... and a table like that benefits SO much from positional tracking. I'm uploading a video right now, but it'll take a while.

But seriously.

It is AMAZING.

WHAAAAAAAT

I knew it would happen, just not this quickly. I don't even know how... I didn't think anything like cameras or whatever were hackable/customisable for it.

HOLY JESUS.

But seriously.

It is AMAZING.

Cool, the level 3 skillshot on Terminator 2 is now possible :p

Shaneus

This is great. What do people think the chances of getting the BTTF and Batman tables are in the future? :/
Well, given they couldn't get what's-his-name's likeness in TAF, I doubt they'll get it for BttF. But with TAF, they've shown that the likeness isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

Here's some BK2K footage from the VR mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMQfNR3KAw&feature=youtu.be

I had a great first ball and then it all went wrong. FRAPS wasn't helping things by throttling my framerate, but I couldn't get the mod to work with shadow play turned on. Either shadow play recorded the wrong screen when I had the rift not set to the primary display, or the game wouldn't show any video when I had the rift as the primary.

Not a big deal but 30 fps wasn't ideal for VR.

Anyway, I digress. Check it out. It has a big limitation in that there is only one position relative to the camera that the hack uses and you can't change it. I had to move my camera higher so that I didn't look like I was standing *on* the table. You'll want the camera about level with your head pointing right at you.

The other thing is that 60 fps isn't as good as 75, and pinball arcade won't go above 60, I believe.

Even so, it's wonderful. It almost makes me want to get one of those pinball controller things.

AC!D

Well, given they couldn't get what's-his-name's likeness in TAF, I doubt they'll get it for BttF. But with TAF, they've shown that the likeness isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

Ah, of course Christopher Lloyd was in TAF and BTTF.

Regardless, here's hoping for more DE tables in the future for everyone to play.

Shaneus

Ah, of course Christopher Lloyd was in TAF and BTTF.

Regardless, here's hoping for more DE tables in the future for everyone to play.
Yeah, I'd love to see more of them, especially the trickier ones to license... GnR, JP and WWF come to mind.

Top Bottom