• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

JP is the crown jewel of the Data East tables as far as I'm concerned. I wonder if they can work out some sort of tie in or marketing thing with the upcoming Jurassic World to help ease the cost of the rights. Fingers crossed. The raptor pit kickback needs to be in Pinball Arcade!

JP is the crown jewel of the Data East tables as far as I'm concerned. I wonder if they can work out some sort of tie in or marketing thing with the upcoming Jurassic World to help ease the cost of the rights. Fingers crossed. The raptor pit kickback needs to be in Pinball Arcade!

Had a chance to play the table last year, and as of this moment, i 100% agree.

Shaneus

So, some new news! If you know your virtual pinball, you probably know about Scott Gullicks and his custom Wrath of Olympus virtual pin. You may also have known that he made a one-off physical version of this box basically on his own, which has received quite high acclaim where it had been shown.

One-off, until now!

v1CHeE3.jpg

Some details, from C2Cs FB page:
Wrath of Olympus designed by Riot Pinball to be built by Spooky Pinball in 2015. Must get 100 or more pre-orders by Feb 1st for production to happen. Max of 250 to be built. Very cool news!

From Pinside (later endorsed as "cool" by Scott):

Cost: $7950.00 USD + applicable taxes, fees, shipping, etc.
Shipping Estimate: First units starting to ship Q3-Q4 2015.
Minimum Number of Units: A minimum of 100 orders will be required to start production.
Maximum Number of Units: As our first release we have decided to make WOOLY a limited production of a maximum of 250 units.

Payment:
Phase 1:
-$1000.00 USD secures your Wrath of Olympus pinball machine. As WOOLY followers, everyone on this list is receiving this information first, and has first access to securing their spots. The official announcement will go out to the public at Expo. This initial deposit is due by January 1st, 2015.

Phase 2:
- Once a minimum of 100 spots have been secured with payments I will be sending a confirmation email out along with additional information requiring an additional build deposit of $3,500.00 USD. This deposit will be due by February1st, 2015.
- If we don't get 100 build deposits all monies will be returned minus any paypal, CC fees, etc.
- Refunds due to not reaching the minimum build quantity of 100 units will be processed after February 1st, 2015.

Phase 3:
- Once the minimum 100 spots have been secured with these two initial payments, this money will no longer be refundable - the money will be used to directly pay for parts to build YOUR game. Essentially production will begin which includes ordering and manufacturing the longer lead time items like the incredible direct print playfields, professional CNC'd thermoformed ramps, molded toys, etc. If there are additional buyers after the February 1st, 2015 deadline that would like to purchase a WOOLY any special refund requests may be transferred for those that need to.
- Once we move into production a special goodie bag full of WOOLY and Riot Pinball gear will be sent to those buyers to help tide them over through the manufacturing process.

Phase 4:
- When your game is done being manufactured the remaining balance will be due. Once final payment has been received your game will ship.

Phase 1 Payments can be sent via paypal to: scott@riotpinball.com

or contact scott at scott@riotpinball.com to set-up alternate payment options.

Please include the following information with your payment:

Full Name
Address (including Country Pinball Machine will be Shipped to)
Email Address
Phone Number

As always, please feel free to email me with any questions! Due to the large number of people on this list and the number of questions that may come up, please give me some time to respond as there may be a few frequently asked questions that arise that are not on the FAQ below that I will be better off handling all at once.

Again, thank you to everyone for your support on this project. I look forward to seeing WOOLY's in people's homes sometime next year.

-Scott Gullicks
Riot Pinball

As much as I'd love one, it's damn hard to buy any kind of game with basically no knowledge of how it feels first-hand. But having seen footage of the physical pin and playing the virtual one, it's a kickarse theme and I hope it does really well! Well done to Scott and Spooky for getting it off the ground. Should be a great pin, fingers crossed I'll play it if I head to the US next year (perhaps for Expo).

Psykoboy2

FINALLY! I was able to get an interview with FarSight!

We've had Zen on our show multiple times, but it's taken many attempts and tries to get someone from FarSight. But finally, next weekend, we'll have Bobby King on to talk about some pinball!

We're actually pre-recording the interview on Thursday afternoon so if you guys have questions, post'em.

We'll air the interview on that Saturday's episode (10/11) of In-Game Chat.

Damn Diner is easy as hell. It's like Taxi for Babbies. Easier shots, higher scores and no putzing around with Carry Passengers to keep your bonus rolling.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damn Diner is easy as hell. It's like Taxi for Babbies. Easier shots, higher scores and no putzing around with Carry Passengers to keep your bonus rolling.

Yup!

I wish the more nuanced challenge of Taxi was combined with the theme of Diner. I like Diner better from a thematic standpoint...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The restore process is beginning tonight...Taking loads of pictures and getting some opinions on parts, rubbers, LEDs, etc. No broken plastics or ramps! AND the motor works on the goalie and the ball! SO stoked. Even with the game not working 100%, it's so damn fun! And for $1500?

HELL.

YES.

IMG_20141003_192520.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
that looks awesome btw!

i just got The Pinball Arcade last week on steam , the season packs are a great price and I absolutely love the real tables. I didn't realize just how amazing pinball got in the 90's( never really played any real table stuff since i was a kid in the 80's).

Im using a view sonic 27" that rotates 90degrees on its base and leans back about 10degrees in portrait mode and its fantastic.

Only issue I have so far is I prefer camera 4 on most tables but on a quiet a few its zoomed in to far for it to be useful..its to bad, I hope they update them.

Just for comparisons sake here is Theater of magic and Gorgar both in portrait with camera 4..big difference in visible play area around the inner and outer lanes.

GWrUfLY.jpg
tidoALB.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I found the secret to getting smooth gameplay on my rig is to just put the ball reflection on low.
Post on , AA and AF on 16x no issues..but if i put it on ball reflection high it slows abit.
Heres a couple quick 10second vids of what it looks like in portrait mode

Arabian Nights intro(sorry was one handing it so bit shaky)
http://youtu.be/lEfYFhhx2e8

and Theater of Magic
http://youtu.be/RZd4Z48swzY

gotta watch them in highest res to see details tho

Odd, while I can't see the entire playfield in portrait I can at least see most of the outlanes at 1200x1920

btw gorgar is so much easier with this resolution at camera 3 locked. Jesus that table kicked my ass back when I first got it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
are you sure your in camera 4? the angle of yours looks flatter like camera 1 or 2

perhaps its because my monitor is 16:9 1920x1080
and yours is 16:10 1920x1200

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
this is mine @ camera 3 which seems to match yours more.
i really do prefer camera 4's more natural view angle tho.. 3 seems like your looking straight down at the table above the flippers.

jroPN5I.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
LOL thats the truth..now that i think about it..i was a kid and much shorter so thats probably why it seems right to me from that perspective..I haven't played a real pin in over 20,maybe 30 years

Lettuce

FINALLY! I was able to get an interview with FarSight!

We've had Zen on our show multiple times, but it's taken many attempts and tries to get someone from FarSight. But finally, next weekend, we'll have Bobby King on to talk about some pinball!

We're actually pre-recording the interview on Thursday afternoon so if you guys have questions, post'em.

We'll air the interview on that Saturday's episode (10/11) of In-Game Chat.

Can you please ask him about....

1. Oculus Rift Support for the PC version

2. Will they be reintroducing the 'Virtual Arcade' like they had with the Williams Collection (walking around a virtual Arcade with an OR on would be awesome!!)?

3. Any updates on Cab support and possible release date for the PC version?

4. Can we expect to see the 360 and XB1 releases this year, and will the XB1 version receive a physical retail version (like the PS4) and if so will it included the whole of season 1, 2 and 3?

5. Now the first Data East table is in the bag is the large majority of the rest of Data East collection troublesome for FS seeings as there all based on films or rock bands and not really highly regarded to warrant a KickStarter to bring them to TPA, With this in mind will be only see the 2-4 Data East tables that arent based on film or music in TPA?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lebowski looks really cool. So much new pinball I'm actually really excited about, like that, Olympus, Attack from Mars whenever it gets announced, etc. TWD is not on that list though. :p Was kind of cracking up today listening to C2C podcast when Nate was talking about how amazing TWD art was and kind of shitting on Lebowski. It's like Bizarro world to me. But sounds like a bunch of people are coming back to earth on TWD after seeing gameplay.

Now I just need to somehow find a house with 3500+ sqft. In the Bay Area.

adroit

Whoa what the hell the kickstarter just got a dumptruck of money put into it...
There's a bogus pledge problem. An unknown amount of money is going to evaporate before the deadline. Some psychotic piece of **** is determined to derail the project.

The idiot thinks he's screwing FarSight but in reality he's screwing the pin fans who want The Addams Family.

jvm

Gamasutra.
There's a bogus pledge problem. An unknown amount of money is going to evaporate before the deadline. Some psychotic piece of **** is determined to derail the project.

The idiot thinks he's screwing FarSight but in reality he's screwing the pin fans who want The Addams Family.
Is there a way to still get funded even if this happens? Because that's about as unfair as you can get. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there a way to still get funded even if this happens? Because that's about as unfair as you can get. :(

I thought they had a rule about within the last 24h you can't pull a pledge that will de-fund the project. I'm not a big fan of how they've handled their KSes but if it's close I might throw in to help it get funded at least.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lebowski looks really cool. So much new pinball I'm actually really excited about, like that, Olympus, Attack from Mars whenever it gets announced, etc. TWD is not on that list though. :p Was kind of cracking up today listening to C2C podcast when Nate was talking about how amazing TWD art was and kind of shitting on Lebowski. It's like Bizarro world to me. But sounds like a bunch of people are coming back to earth on TWD after seeing gameplay.

Now I just need to somehow find a house with 3500+ sqft. In the Bay Area.

Yeah I feel like the art on TWD is blah. Just doesn't sit well with me. TBL looks great, but the price is hard to swallow.

As for the Kickstarter, it really sucks that people do that. I wish there was a way for KS to make it so if you make a contribution, you are stuck with it. Money in and you CAN'T pull out...It means you'll back what you really want to back.

And I will be posting an update on my WCS shop out! What a fun learning experience!

Shaneus

Does anyone have a Kicktraq graph screenie of this jump? I can't get to their webpage at work :(

In other news, came second in my local pinball tournament last night! Well, there's rounds and they're all cumulative (so a round win isn't the same as a tourney win) but very, VERY happy to have made it. Scraped in by the skin of my teeth into the final 8 by finishing 8th in the qualification rounds, won the elimination final and semi final to make it to the top for, then won the first of three rounds in the grand final. Finished third in the second and last on the last, but it was enough to secure second place.

Fucking stoked.

And I will be posting an update on my WCS shop out! What a fun learning experience!
Take lots and lots of photos! Lots!

Shaneus

Looks like they accidentally revealed the next table to be Phantom of the Opera
Not accidental. They mentioned it in their fourth update to the TAF KS.

ibeCu4r0T4kv5j.png

It's exactly the same size as the reversal midway through the project. So arguably they still need ~7k to fully fund once the psychopath pulls it again.
Ugh. Something like that around this time of the KS period is sure to kill it. They need to announce those damn stretch objectives! They can't fucking afford to play it coy when there's every chance it'll fail if they don't have the margin to afford another loss of that size.

Vyse24

Ugh. Something like that around this time of the KS period is sure to kill it. They need to announce those damn stretch objectives! They can't fucking afford to play it coy when there's every chance it'll fail if they don't have the margin to afford another loss of that size.

From their latest update:
We are currently trying to work out a deal with Christopher Lloyd so that we can announce a last minute stretch goal to preserve his likeness. We are also trying to work out an extra surprise goal that might be a bit of a long shot, so keep your fingers crossed. If it turns out that these stretch goals are not possible, any amount that we receive above the goal will go to our next big license table! The way things are going, the campaign should fund early! But don't forget that we can use this opportunity to bring other awesome tables to the game. If everyone upped their pledge by $5, that would boost the campaign by $17,000!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family/posts/1002834

they always list the 'next table' thing as a stretch goal, so it's hard to get excited. It feels super duper late to add Lloyd as a stretch goal 6 days from the end of the deadline.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More DE is always good!

Only two pics for now...

I have MAD respect for people who do this regularly. This is no joke. It takes a LOT of focus and work.

And holy shit this machine is dirty as hell. Every time I touch it, I need to wash my hands, haha. Can't wait to clean her up and load it with gorgeous LED's!

IMG_20141006_194621.jpg

IMG_20141006_195609.jpg

Shaneus

More DE is always good!

Only two pics for now...

I have MAD respect for people who do this regularly. This is no joke. It takes a LOT of focus and work.

And holy shit this machine is dirty as hell. Every time I touch it, I need to wash my hands, haha. Can't wait to clean her up and load it with gorgeous LED's!

IMG_20141006_194621.jpg

IMG_20141006_195609.jpg
It's a little bit of a shame you're doing it on a (relative) budget... otherwise I'd suggest you get the LED-OCD so the LEDs don't look too harsh. Put one in my RBION and it looks sweet. Really should get some footage of the light show just to compare!

BTW that p/f is looking nice as hellll. You definitely got yourself a good bargain with that machine, very jealous.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yo gratz on the tourney stuff Shaneus! I'm going to ask the question most of us are thinking....Did you win anything? ;) From a playing standpoint, do you feel that owning the RBION is giving you a better feel for tourney games? And how does it feel compared to other Stern's you're getting your hands on?

Regarding my WCS - yeah, the playfield is in amazing shape. In fact, upon further inspection, everything is in incredible shape. No broken plastics or ramps, no major playfield damage (there's wear in a few areas, but nothing that can't be either locally fixed or cleaned and mylar'd), and only a few minor issues. The GI connector is burnt, but that tends to happen when a game full of incandescent bulbs is left on for hours and hours and hours. The soccer ball needs to be replaced (works as it is, but a clean one would just look nicer). Oh, and there's a few random issues that are likely just switch errors.

Overall, I'm stoked with the progress so far. I will hopefully finish getting everything off the top of the playfield tonight. Getting the harness off is going to be a bear...But once that's done, I can start cleaning everything. I'd like to have everything off and cleaned by the end of next week. I swear, it sucks not being able to play, but it's incredibly fun to take this shit apart and learn about how these machines actually work!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, someone local has a Black Hole for $1200. If he'll let it go for $1000, I may be selling some LEGO and my Vita to get some money. :|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Minsc mentioned in the Kickstarter thread that some of the licensed tables in TPA might expire due to rights bullshit and no longer be available for purchase. Its probably a ways down the line, but does anyone have more details so I know what to prioritize buying?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just found a cool game room at work (very glad it's not too close to me, because that would be trouble) that has Tom, TaF, and T3. Is T3 weirdly slow or was it just that machine? Ball felt really weird.

Elios83

Any news about season two on PS4? Or the rest of season 3?
Also I'd really like to see some Data East tables in this game (Hook, Jurassic Park).
Is there any chance?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Curious if the licensing stuff is true. If so, I need to start buying tables on my phone...

And update! Playfield is ALMOST empty! This is a BEAST of a job holy shit. I'm a LITTLE worried about how I'm going to get it all back together, haha. You can see all the dirt and grime now, too.

IMG_20141007_224524.jpg

Shaneus

Woooow. I've never stripped a playfield before, so you're one (many) step ahead of me! Looks like you're travelling alright, though :)

The question remains for the sad lack of updates of the PS4 version :/

Sadly Farsight has a bad habit of biting off much more than they can chew wrt actively supporting more than one console platform at a time. They always promise to come back to the last blessed platform but so far they never have. I can't offer any optimistic guesstimates as to when PS4 tables are going to achieve parity with Steam.

Edit: Oh look some psychopath pulled ~$6k from the kickstarter again

Velinos

After seeing the prototype photos of the Big Lebowski pinball machine, I was reminded that I like pinball and I checked this game out. I like it and am having lots of fun with the Tales of Arabian Nights game.

Seeing the discussions of real machines here made me think of what table I'd get. I remember enjoying the dot matrix machines of the mid 90s, particularly Super Mario World and Street Fighter. This is probably why Tales of Arabian Night appealed to me. I tried out the demos of Medieval Madness and other "top rated" machines and they were OK, but I imagine that playing machines on The Pinball Arcade is very different from playing the actual machine.

Also since there is a lot of discussion here about actual pinball machines, perhaps a separate thread should be created?

Shaneus

Also since there is a lot of discussion here about actual pinball machines, perhaps a separate thread should be created?
This thread is pretty much the de facto everything pinball thread. I'd even go so far as to say around 50% of the posts in this thread *aren't* Pinball Arcade-related!

Talk about real ones in here as much as you like :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This thread is pretty much the de facto everything pinball thread. I'd even go so far as to say around 50% of the posts in this thread *aren't* Pinball Arcade-related!

Talk about real ones in here as much as you like :)

So much this!

There's a lot of talk of both, but this is the thread where most folks would be excited/care about something pinball related!

PotO looks like its going to be fun. I'm excited as I've never even seen pictures of that machine outside of TPA. Can't wait to jump in on that one.

Also, my coworker will be coming by soon to help me pull the playfield from my WCS. I'll be building a cheap rotisserie this weekend so I can start that process, as well as putting in my LED order. Its going to be a BIT expensive ($100-150), but that's the only major add-on that I'm doing. Enough bulbs are burnt out or dirty that it makes the most sense.

I was considering NOT going with Cointaker, mostly because individual bulbs are fucking $1.20+, and that's insane...

Top Bottom