• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Lettuce

So does this mean in another month we'll have S2 on PS4 and another month or two have the lighting upgrade on PC?

Best not to get hopes up. I bet it gets screwed up somehow at the last minute.

No cos its now been delayed on the XB1.......case book Farsight!!!

Minsc

Gold Member
No cos its now been delayed on the XB1.......case book Farsight!!!

Saw this posted on Pinball Arcade Fans:

M1aqPB5.jpg

Where's that laughing smiley again? It'll be one year from their post in a couple more days!

If they were to ever release that DX11 update, I'd probably get much more interested in their product again, but I've just been waiting forever... wish they never even mentioned it (though I guess they sorta had to when they made the PS4 one look so much nicer).

Anyone buy Roller's of the Realm yet?

I picked it up for my Vita - a.k.a. - My portable pinball machine.

I've been enjoying it quite a lot. It can get challenging, but not too much so far. I'm only about 10 levels in, but it's had good variety and is good fun. I'm likely going to grab it for Steam one day in the future as well, but I'm enjoying what I'm playing thus far on the Vita and I hear there are keyboard mapping issues on the PC - i.e. no Shift Keys as flippers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I picked it up for my Vita - a.k.a. - My portable pinball machine.

I've been enjoying it quite a lot. It can get challenging, but not too much so far. I'm only about 10 levels in, but it's had good variety and is good fun. I'm likely going to grab it for Steam one day in the future as well, but I'm enjoying what I'm playing thus far on the Vita and I hear there are keyboard mapping issues on the PC - i.e. no Shift Keys as flippers.

I'll pick it up for PS4 soon.

How are the pinball physics?

Velinos

I'm hoping TPA has a sale for Black Friday/over the holidays. With that, I need to decide which platform to invest in since it doesn't support cross-platform purchases. I play on my phone quite a bit, though I prefer to play on my PC with my Xbox 360 controller. $30-40 per season is a bit much to double dip, so what are people's preferred platform?

I'll pick it up for PS4 soon.

How are the pinball physics?

The physics are not too accurate. Soft, kind, and based on speed to start with. You can control your ball at any time with the Left Stick, so there has to be some compensation in the gameplay for that.

Skill that is needed for progression requires accuracy and, in that sense of physics, they deliver.

I am still enjoying my time with the game.

It's up for Xbox One now, so PS4 owners can start counting the days for Season 2 (possibly a thirty-day exclusive as rumored) and PC owners can start hoping for the lighting upgrade sometime in the hopefully not too distant future.

Shaneus

I've given up on hoping. I'm actually playing very little TPA now, with a lack of season passes on iOS (I know it's not their fault, but if I buy any individual tables, they'll all be doubled-up on when I get the inevitable season pack at the end of it, ergo essentially no new tables on iOS) and literally no updates to the PC version other than extra tables, it all means there's very little enticing me to play it on any platform at all.

It's like they couldn't give less of a shit about users on existing platforms, focusing solely on whatever they can get people to extra-dip on (see: PS4, One etc.).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've given up on hoping. I'm actually playing very little TPA now, with a lack of season passes on iOS (I know it's not their fault, but if I buy any individual tables, they'll all be doubled-up on when I get the inevitable season pack at the end of it, ergo essentially no new tables on iOS) and literally no updates to the PC version other than extra tables, it all means there's very little enticing me to play it on any platform at all.

It's like they couldn't give less of a shit about users on existing platforms, focusing solely on whatever they can get people to extra-dip on (see: PS4, One etc.).
But doesn't poor PS4 still have the mobile audio?

Shaneus

But doesn't poor PS4 still have the mobile audio?
Exactly my point. PS4 version preparing for release, everything else goes on backburner (sans table releases). PS4 version gets released (with bugs), but wait, let's get the One version ready and not properly fix any issues with the PS4.

On a side note, I believe the audio was fixed somewhat on PS4, but still has mostly crappy quality audio.

Daigoro

so yeah., its out on XBONE now.

but as much as i love the game itself, i hate the bullshit this company makes its fans put up with, so im not sure how much money ill actually spend on the thing... leaning towards not a hell of a lot at this time.

the achievements suck too.

From a business perspective it's worth their time to open sales on a new platform and fix the PS4 issues afterwards. It will give then more income and potentially allow them more development staff to fix things quicker moving forward.

sibarraz

Banned
Question, today a friend showed a hyper pinball setup. I found it cool and I'm interested in building one, could I make one with pinball arcade as the base game? if that is possible how could I setup the game to support hyper pinball?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It is finally done - my WCS94 is 100% working now. Let me outline the past few weeks to show the shit I went through on this beast...

I bought the game in a barely working state. Many of the features simply did not function (including the lock, kickback, and left kickout hole). The GI pin was burnt, the soccer ball looked like ass, the trough would spit out balls for no fucking reason, bulbs were out everywhere, the game was dirty as hell, one of the flippers barely worked...I could go on and on.

I'm not going to detail all the fixes, but I am going to tell the story of why there was a delay in posting the video below!

As I stated about 2 weeks back, I ordered the wrong bulbs from Cointaker for a few spots in my game. Rather than ordering new ones, I got in touch with the guys over there and asked if I could do an exchange. They were totally cool with it! So I sent the bulbs back and waited. And waited. And waited. I emailed them again and they said they sent them but didn't pay for tracking and that they were probably lost in the mail. Honestly, I think they forgot. Whatever.

So I'm waiting for them to arrive. Cool. I discover the credit dot caused by the random UL flipper on switch F8. WCS94 does not have an upper left flipper and does not use switch F8. After cleaning the left flipper opto board, the error remained. Per suggestions, I swapped the right and left opto board and noticed the problem went away! However, after like, 3 games, the credit dot came back. This time, the error was UR flipper on switch F6 (I think it was 6...). Just as before, WCS94 has no UR flipper nor does it use the switch that it was flagging.

This fiasco lead me to realize that the original left flipper opto board was the culprit. Something about it was off. Rather than trying to solve the problem, I bought a new one for $20. No shame there. I also needed to order the bracket that bolts to the coin door that holds the interlock and memory protect switch down when you close the door (my game didn't have one, nor were these switches wired when I got the game).

So anywho, I get the bracket and get it in my game and boot it up. I notice that the game tells me the coin door is open despite that not being the case. Turns out, I had it wired wrong. Cool, fixed it. New flipper board got rid of the credit dot and fixed the issue. But a new challenger entered the ring....

My soccer ball stopped spinning.

I started testing everything I could think. I won't go into all the details, but I will say this:

When it comes to fixing and repairing a pinball machine, the issue is usually really simple. In the case of the soccer ball, it was absolutely not. It was fucking ridiculous. The wires were showing voltage, but the ball wasn't spinning. However, the motor was good (tested with a 9V battery). So I was just completely lost.

I ended up having to completely replace the wire that went from the control board to the motor itself. Like, I took some random wire from work, stripped the ends, put them in a new IDC connector, and soldered them to the motor. Mine you, it took me a few days to figure out what was up. I took my board to a friends game to make sure it was working before ordering a new board entirely. Man, it was...It was a nightmare. What's worse is that there were times when I could get the motor to spin with alligator clips and the old wire, but it was only like, 1 in 10 times that I tried it.

I don't know, it was misery. I finally figured it out (as I stated), but it wasn't anything I hadn't tried before. I think it was a combination of a bad wire (which why this is even a thing is what made this problem so fucked up) and a bad/worn IDC.

Anyways, livejournal post complete!

Here's a YouTube video of the LEDs. I focus on the TV Award scoop because I'm trying to show off the color changing bulb I have in there. :)

YouTube WCS94

sibarraz

Banned
Nice work nicoga!

My local arcade has that pinball machine and is very fun to play. That arcade is cool, supposedly has the biggest collection of pinballs in latinamerica. Some cool machines like the T2 one, and TAF.

Which is the consensus with those pinball 2000 machines? there is something with the star wars episode I racer that hooks me

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice work nicoga!

My local arcade has that pinball machine and is very fun to play. That arcade is cool, supposedly has the biggest collection of pinballs in latinamerica. Some cool machines like the T2 one, and TAF.

Which is the consensus with those pinball 2000 machines? there is something with the star wars episode I racer that hooks me

Thanks - it's been a wild ride and a CRAZY learning experience. :)

Regarding your first question from before, I don't know if you can get TPA running through hyperpin. The VPForums would be an excellent place to ask that one.

And on the Pinball 2k stuff, they're cool. I think RFM is largely considered the better of the two games, though. However, I've never actually seen the Star Wars P2K game, so I can't really comment. I know Shaneus is strongly considering a RFM, so he may be able to weigh in.

AlexMogil

Wow the Xbox One version is buggy. I've had some game locks, menu locks, spontaneous game overs, and there are some really dubious music cues as well. I don't know if they are all present in the other versions because I kinda abandoned the whole thing after the 360 screw up.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh I didn't realize they finally implemented cross platform functinality for the Mac version, so its available on Steam on Mac with all of my tables tied to my account. Sweet, perfect for being home for the holidays

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
that looks beautiful! Nicoga3000

Please make a video of the game in action it looks great, but never seen this one played before.
would perhaps have someone hold the camera or tripod it.

Great work tho, you should be very proud

sibarraz

Banned
Today, in honor of nicoga I went to my arcade and played wc94. there is something cool with the goal mechanics. It looked grim without all the modding that nicoga did though

Shaneus

nicoga, that was an *amazing* update! Would you say the cheap price you paid for the machine was worth it with all the effort you've put in as well?

If I had to answer, I'd say "yes" ;)

Estimate on how many hours you put into it? I'm curious. And you said you pulled the playfield out fully, yeah? I don't think I'd really need to for Ripley's (though after what you've said, I'd love to get it clear coated or something before I start seeing wear on it) but High Speed needs a good clean and going over, I think.

BTW Comet Pinball (my favourite guys to deal with, who have the cheapest shipping ever) have a Black Friday sale this weekend. Not sure when it starts (it was midnight in some timezone which I couldn't be bothered converting to Australian time) but everyone should check them out. They have these awesome things, which are great for adding extra light basically anywhere:
73tw4kZ.jpg

So with those, they come in those colours and can be clipped onto existing wires, or you can use the bulb adapters to hook them into existing light sockets (either 555 or 44). $3 for the 3 SMD or $5 for the 7 SMD. I haven't ordered any yet, but plan on sorting a bunch out to add some pop to the darker areas of my Ripley's (and maybe High Speed for some neat flasher effects). Though I doubt your WCS needs it ;) (unless you want to put lights where the lights are at the back of the playfield, could look pretty neat!)

On another note, I just noticed there's a Pinball FX deal on at Humble Bundle. Get it, I guess?

Shaneus

And on the Pinball 2k stuff, they're cool. I think RFM is largely considered the better of the two games, though. However, I've never actually seen the Star Wars P2K game, so I can't really comment. I know Shaneus is strongly considering a RFM, so he may be able to weigh in.
Ugh, you forced my hand ;)

I've played a decent amount of both, and by far the better of the two is Revenge From Mars. The thing to keep in mind with SWEP1 is because of the license and secrecy around the characters/theme, it had to be developed in a bubble. That means no input from other people at Williams (other than the main designers) and you can really tell... it's a flat, dull, repetitive game with a single main shot and . Conversely, RFM is a lot more fun, the shots feel far better and it plays remarkably close to the original Attack From Mars.

I think they're both worth hunting down and having a play, and they can be had for REALLY cheap, too (one I'm eyeballing should come in under AU$3k).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Exactly my point. PS4 version preparing for release, everything else goes on backburner (sans table releases). PS4 version gets released (with bugs), but wait, let's get the One version ready and not properly fix any issues with the PS4.

On a side note, I believe the audio was fixed somewhat on PS4, but still has mostly crappy quality audio.

I have S1 on PS4 and the audio is still totally fucked up.
Gonna DL the Xbone Version but not gonna spend a dime on it, fuck 'em.

Also, besides mobile does the free table of the month exists anywhere else?

Shaneus

I have S1 on PS4 and the audio is still totally fucked up.
Gonna DL the Xbone Version but not gonna spend a dime on it, fuck 'em.

Also, besides mobile does the free table of the month exists anywhere else?
I don't think so. I certainly don't remember seeing it on PC, PS3 or PS4. I guess because (at least for the latter two) it relies on releasing something every month, which seems to be a struggle.

I love FS for what they're trying to do, but at this point I just wish they'd take a damn month or two off and get everything fucking sorted.

AlexMogil

On the Xbox One do the tables look a little overbright to anyone else?

Also some of the music cues like the bonus music for Black Knight 2000 is just missing. Anyone else on that?

Velinos

I don't think so. I certainly don't remember seeing it on PC, PS3 or PS4. I guess because (at least for the latter two) it relies on releasing something every month, which seems to be a struggle.

I love FS for what they're trying to do, but at this point I just wish they'd take a damn month or two off and get everything fucking sorted.

The Steam version on the PC has the free table of the month, but yes it does rely on an update to change it.

Dash Kappei

Xbox One version is a bug ridden joke. What else is new at this point, right?
Had one hard lock, shitty audio, missing audio cues and every time the game saves (option, high score) it'll take so long you'll think the game is stuck, I'm not even exaggerating

Shaneus

Xbox One version is a bug ridden joke. What else is new at this point, right?
Had one hard lock, shitty audio, missing audio cues and every time the game saves (option, high score) it'll take so long you'll think the game is stuck, I'm not even exaggerating
Quelle surprise. Guess it means they'll spend forever fixing THAT rather than adding lighting to PC, then :/

Dash Kappei

Quelle surprise. Guess it means they'll spend forever fixing THAT rather than adding lighting to PC, then :/

I honestly don't understand how the game passed MS' certification.
High score/options saving is instant on PS4, on X1 it can take anywhere from 30seconds up to TWO FUCKIN' MINUTES depending on the table (or maybe it depends on meteo or if your xbox likes you enough and feels like saving... Lol)

snaffles

Is there a new table releasing this week? I really haven't been keeping up with the news. Got back from the US a couple of weeks ago, played a fair bit of pinball while I was over there, didn't get around to playing a Wizard of Oz machine so I'll have to try tracking one down here in Australia next time I am in a city assuming there are some about.

Action shot of me sucking at Johnny Mnemonic at Pizza West in Kansas City.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a new table releasing this week? I really haven't been keeping up with the news. Got back from the US a couple of weeks ago, played a fair bit of pinball while I was over there, didn't get around to playing a Wizard of Oz machine so I'll have to try tracking one down here in Australia next time I am in a city assuming there are some about.

Action shot of me sucking at Johnny Mnemonic at Pizza West in Kansas City.

Man, JM, TSPP, IM, ToM, and IJ in a row? Is that IJ4 or the Stern?

I'm jelly as fuuuuuck.

E: Pinball related...We're having our second annual Christmas cookie party tomorrow. My wife is excited to have everyone over because she has been telling all of her coworkers about the pinball machine. She said all of the husbands that will be there are excited, haha.

snaffles

The Indiana Jones machine was Stern, not the old Williams one. There was also a Doctor Who machine next to me on my right, and some older machine probably from the 70s that I can't remember the name of but was really fun too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Indiana Jones machine was Stern, not the old Williams one. There was also a Doctor Who machine next to me on my right, and some older machine probably from the 70s that I can't remember the name of but was really fun too.

Eh, even still. Pinball is pinball! I see the Dr. Who, but it looks off? I've never played one...

snaffles

Eh, even still. Pinball is pinball! I see the Dr. Who, but it looks off? I've never played one...

The Doctor Who machine was on, not sure what is up with the lack of lighting in that photo, it plays sort of like Pinbot I guess, with a similar setup for locking the balls for multiball.

Shaneus

The Doctor Who machine was on, not sure what is up with the lack of lighting in that photo, it plays sort of like Pinbot I guess, with a similar setup for locking the balls for multiball.
I never realised that, but you're right! Makes sense, same designer as well. Not a massive fan, it's a bit boring and while some of the shots are okay, a lot are fairly crap. Barry Oursler is by far the most overrated pin designer IMO.

Shaneus

Yeah, Pin-Bot's pretty great, but I think that's more owing to Python than Oursler. I mean, just look at Jack-Bot. Essentially the same game, but what I've played of it, it's nowhere near as fun.

How's the Steam version of Pinball Arcade these days? Any major issues with it? I haven't played PA in ages but I've got a gaming rig now, so I could play that version if it's good.

Shaneus

How's the Steam version of Pinball Arcade these days? Any major issues with it? I haven't played PA in ages but I've got a gaming rig now, so I could play that version if it's good.
Plays fine and no major issues, other than there not being any signs of the fucking promised lighting update.

Other news:
agQiuXO.png

Knew it. Wonder if they'll have the mechanical building used in the early machines?

Plays fine and no major issues, other than there not being any signs of the fucking promised lighting update.

Aight, I'll check it out.

Edit: It's hard to say for sure, but it felt like there was some input lag on the Steam version when I had the graphic settings maxed (except post processing, of course I'm not gonna turn that on). Playing with AA, AF, and reflections off feels a little more responsive, like what I'm used to in the 360 version. I'll pick up season 1 and test out some more tables.

Add me on steam if you want, I'm ParallaxScroll.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i found what made the biggest issue was just ball reflection on low vs high for overall performance.
imput lag i fixed in the nvidia control panel by setting maximum pre-render frames to 1

Minsc

Gold Member
Aight, I'll check it out.

Edit: It's hard to say for sure, but it felt like there was some input lag on the Steam version when I had the graphic settings maxed (except post processing, of course I'm not gonna turn that on). Playing with AA, AF, and reflections off feels a little more responsive, like what I'm used to in the 360 version. I'll pick up season 1 and test out some more tables.

Add me on steam if you want, I'm ParallaxScroll.

There's definitely no (inherent) lag on the Steam version, but it's possible your system's configuration is causing some. There's a thread on PAF with a few ideas of what to tweak if you are experience lag though, just in case it covers something you haven't tried.

PC version apparently wins in the achievements department since there's no limit on Steam for them (I think some games have 10,000+ achievements in them), and it does well in most other areas except graphics, which it is a bit behind with until the DX11 update.

Top Bottom