• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

FoxSpirit

It also works great with GeDoSaTo. Even on my 6850 with PostP off (looks bad), it downsamples from 4k at 60fps.

Looks much better than the integrated AA.

How do friend leaderboards work for the steam version? I added a few gaffers who have the game but I don't see anyone's scores. I'm logged into my Farsight account.

It also works great with GeDoSaTo. Even on my 6850 with PostP off (looks bad), it downsamples from 4k at 60fps.

Looks much better than the integrated AA.

I tried that and while the in-game graphics look good, all the HUD stuff is super tiny including the score display. Doesn't seem very useful.

Shaneus

Mentioned in passing to a friend the other day that other than a Pinball 2000 (RFM) machine, the other kind I'd somewhat like to get is a Zaccaria. He said a mate of his who has a fairly large collection (and always seems to be looking to get rid of machines) would probably be interested in getting rid of a Zaccaria Robot. I can't say I'm not tempted! Legit don't have the room for it (hence the appeal of a Pin2K) but it's such a badarse machine:

RN9CDrj.jpg

Jcnn3Bg.jpg
REALLY tempted :/ Torn between that and a Pin2K, but the benefit of this is the guy who currently owns it isn't actively selling machines to anyone else other than my friend, so there's no urgency. Ultimately I'd be happy in having a System 11 (High Speed), Stern (Ripley's), WMS Pin2K (Revenge From Mars) and a Zaccaria (Robot, or hopefully a Pinball Champ).

Oh, could have it for likely less than $1k AUD, too.

Add me on steam if you want, I'm ParallaxScroll.
I don't know if I want to... I like being kinda close to the top of my personal (and friends) leaderboards ;)

Edit: Oh, my local Aldi store has started selling these:
They play music and the GI (lol) blinks in time with it and everything. So weird, but was obviously a no-brainer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mentioned in passing to a friend the other day that other than a Pinball 2000 (RFM) machine, the other kind I'd somewhat like to get is a Zaccaria. He said a mate of his who has a fairly large collection (and always seems to be looking to get rid of machines) would probably be interested in getting rid of a Zaccaria Robot. I can't say I'm not tempted! Legit don't have the room for it (hence the appeal of a Pin2K) but it's such a badarse machine:

REALLY tempted :/ Torn between that and a Pin2K, but the benefit of this is the guy who currently owns it isn't actively selling machines to anyone else other than my friend, so there's no urgency. Ultimately I'd be happy in having a System 11 (High Speed), Stern (Ripley's), WMS Pin2K (Revenge From Mars) and a Zaccaria (Robot, or hopefully a Pinball Champ).

Oh, could have it for likely less than $1k AUD, too.

I don't know if I want to... I like being kinda close to the top of my personal (and friends) leaderboards ;)

Edit: Oh, my local Aldi store has started selling these:

They play music and the GI (lol) blinks in time with it and everything. So weird, but was obviously a no-brainer.

Oh man, that pinball decoration is AWESOME. I need to check my Aldi to see if it's here in the states or AUS only.

That Zaccaria machine is nuts. I've never seen it - definitely an art piece! And the fact that you can get your hands on it for cheap is PRETTY awesome.

Speaking of machines, a friend of mine needs a place to store his Spring Break for a few months. I'm thinking of housing it for him. :3

Shaneus

Oh man, that pinball decoration is AWESOME. I need to check my Aldi to see if it's here in the states or AUS only.

That Zaccaria machine is nuts. I've never seen it - definitely an art piece! And the fact that you can get your hands on it for cheap is PRETTY awesome.

Speaking of machines, a friend of mine needs a place to store his Spring Break for a few months. I'm thinking of housing it for him. :3
Hah, nice! That's an EM, yeah?

Whilst I do like Robot (I've been playing a bit of it on iOS as of late) the main machine I want is Pinball Champ. There's so much more going on with it and I've already played one in the flesh. And the artwork is a good deal better, too. But the problem is, I'm really only looking at a new machine because I think I could find the room for a Pin2K. I need to stop my eyes wandering elsewhere!

I need to move into a bigger place.

So are the Season 2 achievements bugged on Xbox One? I seem to be showing no progress on the achievements app and I think I have top 5 on all season 2 tables but no achievement popped. Anyone else encounter this?

Shaneus

Any chance of posting some S2 screens from the One? I'm curious to see what it looks like, given that it's the sole reason we haven't seen upgraded lighting on PC (or PS4 for S2).

Can't help you out on the cheevos, I'm afraid :/

Any chance of posting some S2 screens from the One? I'm curious to see what it looks like, given that it's the sole reason we haven't seen upgraded lighting on PC (or PS4 for S2).

Can't help you out on the cheevos, I'm afraid :/
As far as I know, there is no way to grab screenshots through the XBO at this point without capture gear, which I don't have. If you or someone knows some other way to grab screens, I'd be happy to, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Shaneus

As far as I know, there is no way to grab screenshots through the XBO at this point without capture gear, which I don't have. If you or someone knows some other way to grab screens, I'd be happy to, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Really? Damn. Because I've seen people post video clips online of games on XBO (maybe just Horizon 2?) and assumed there was similar functionality for screens.

That sucks! Do they at least look good? I know Taxi has had issues in the past with various colouring and such.

Also, we should be getting close to S3 on PS4, yes? Or does the XBO exclusivity POS come into it?

Really? Damn. Because I've seen people post video clips online of games on XBO (maybe just Horizon 2?) and assumed there was similar functionality for screens.

That sucks! Do they at least look good? I know Taxi has had issues in the past with various colouring and such.

Also, we should be getting close to S3 on PS4, yes? Or does the XBO exclusivity POS come into it?
Yeah, you can upload videos (which are pretty compressed and don't do anything justice) but no screenshots until 2015. I think the Season 2 stuff looks nice (I play on Dark, and I'm pretty impressed with most tables). Haven't played Taxi because I don't have the Season 1 pack yet.

I'm a big White Water fan, so I've been playing that (was waiting for it on PS4 for so long decided to just forget it and get the XBO version as well, don't know when it's coming out on that), I haven't noticed any major bugs (outside of the achievements) but I'm not an expert. I also played a lot of Cactus Canyon, which looks great, as well as Dr. Dude. I have some of the other tables on PS4 as well and the sound fidelity overall here seems better but still not outstanding (still stunned that even after updating the PS4 version, it still sounds shitty). I noticed above people talked about all sorts of glitches, but I haven't encountered any of that in season 2. It's still got some of that Farsight jank though (for some reason you have to always select your profile when you start even if you are logged in, which I can't recall having to do for any other XBO game), but it seems mostly solid.

Elios83

Just a few news:

December 11, 2014
Season Two content has just been released for SCEE regions! The Season Two and Thee Bundles will become available December 17th at 40% off the price of the entire season! SCEA (US) is scheduled to release December 23rd!
December 5, 2014
We are very proud to announce that Earthshaker™ will be the next table to join your Pinball Arcade collection!!!

So if read it correctly because they're not naming platforms, it seems like Season 2 is finally coming on PS4 just before Christmas.
If so, can't wait to play White Water and Cactus Canyon on my PS4 =)

Vyse24

They've gone on sale before on Steam. Can't remember if it was the Summer one or the last Winter one, but they had S1 25% off and S2 10% off. Not big discounts compared to what other companies do, but still.

Velinos

On PS4? I think you're right... I remember nabbing it on sale. At least in EU, where the AU$ price was at least comparable to the regular US one.

It may have been on sale on the PS4 as well, but I was speaking specifically of the Steam version on PC. Looks like Season 1 was 50% off and Season 2 was 10% off. Season 3 and 4 have yet to be on sale. Here's to hoping.

gar3

Hi all - I recently purchased an Xbox One and was getting ready to buy all three seasons of The Pinball Arcade when I noticed the whole "pro" mode for $10 more per season. Since I'm already spending $90 on all of it, do I also want to spend the extra $30 for the pro mode stuff, too? I ask because my experience with the series is limited to the Xbox 360 physical release of Pinball Hall of Fame The Williams Collection here in the States. I haven't played any of these downloaded games from the series yet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi all - I recently purchased an Xbox One and was getting ready to buy all three seasons of The Pinball Arcade when I noticed the whole "pro" mode for $10 more per season. Since I'm already spending $90 on all of it, do I also want to spend the extra $30 for the pro mode stuff, too? I ask because my experience with the series is limited to the Xbox 360 physical release of Pinball Hall of Fame The Williams Collection here in the States. I haven't played any of these downloaded games from the series yet.

No, you don't need the pro versions. The pro stuff allows you to basically get in an alter the machine like you would a real game. However, even all the physical pins I've owned have been left on default settings. By engaging any of the pro features, you also disqualify yourself from the leaderboards, so...

But it's things like pitch, number of balls, mode difficulty, etc. Really, I would save that money and get another game or save it for S4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like I'll finally get S1 and S2 on my Android!

Also, anyone following The Big Lebowski explosion on Pinside? Holy shit...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like I'll finally get S1 and S2 on my Android!

Also, anyone following The Big Lebowski explosion on Pinside? Holy shit...
No, what happened? I know their one PR guy left under seemingly not so great circumstances a few weeks ago.

edit: Think I just saw it. Something about the PR guy who left refunding everyone? (And then all sorts of craziness re fraud accusations I can't fully parse.) Wow. Glad I didn't preorder. Considered it for a brief moment. Feels like there have been a lot of simmering controversies around the boutique manufacturers, but this seems like the biggest one yet by far.

Shaneus

No, what happened? I know their one PR guy left under seemingly not so great circumstances a few weeks ago.

edit: Think I just saw it. Something about the PR guy who left refunding everyone? (And then all sorts of craziness re fraud accusations I can't fully parse.) Wow. Glad I didn't preorder. Considered it for a brief moment. Feels like there have been a lot of simmering controversies around the boutique manufacturers, but this seems like the biggest one yet by far.
First rule of buying a NIB pinball machine: Never pre-order.

Shaneus

Yep! And holy shit, they're still running the same menu system? I'm sure that's identical to current SAM machines and it sure as hell is the same as on RBION (which is understandable, given they're both Whitestar).

Shaneus

Did they ever bring the PS4 lighting from S1 to PC version? Going to decide whether to get S2 on Steam or not...
No. We were waiting for the Xbox One version to get released because (apparently) the lighting model on that would be very similar to the one used on PC. So that took priority. Now, nobody knows what the fuck is happening :/

Bebpo

Banned
No. We were waiting for the Xbox One version to get released because (apparently) the lighting model on that would be very similar to the one used on PC. So that took priority. Now, nobody knows what the fuck is happening :/

Man, I just want one definitive version to buy all the seasons and have all the tables in one place. PS4 has the best lighting but only has S1 & S3 and has broken sound. Steam has the best playing version of S1-S4 but is missing the PS4 lighting. Arghhh

Man, I just want one definitive version to buy all the seasons and have all the tables in one place. PS4 has the best lighting but only has S1 & S3 and has broken sound. Steam has the best playing version of S1-S4 but is missing the PS4 lighting. Arghhh

X1 seems to have the exact same lighting and all three seasons and the same sound AFAICT, though I noticed it sounding different than I remember PS4 so I cannot tell if it is or not. I'd say to feel safe in investing in the PC version since it will eventually have the lighting of the current gen consoles.

Shaneus

I'm sure the PS4 version feels better too, but I dunno. But I know what you mean. I'm actually playing less TPA than I ever have, due to the fractured nature of it all: Can't buy the full S4 on iOS because Apple, so have to wait until it's all released. Count that out. PS4 doesn't have S2 and horrible AU pricing, so count that out. PC has fine pricing and portrait, but shitty (by comparison) lighting. And I'm sure the physics are worse. So count that out too.

So yeah, PC will be definitive eventually, but it's just taking so. fucking. long.

Minsc

Gold Member

They're doing the 12 days of Pinball thing (what is day 2's info I wonder), so definitely wait for the remaining 11 days, day 1 was a great sale, 50% off season 1 and 2, which lasts 'til the end of the year, so whatever you decide be sure to take advantage of the $30+ savings. One of the remaining days might be info on the lighting update on PC.
Lol. It won't.

Still, another overlooked strength of the PC version is it looks unbelievable if your monitor can play portrait mode. That makes as much a difference as any lighting upgrade imo. Pinball tables just translate to 9:16 layouts so much better than 16:9, and that's part of the reason it looks so nice on larger phones, even though the screen is a ton smaller. It is nice not having 1/3 your display wasted space (though I suppose if you use one of those weird inside of the table angles it is less of an issue).

And I'm sure the physics are worse. So count that out too.

They confirmed the physics engine on all builds are exactly the same didn't they? I believe it is possible perhaps they tweaked specific platform's tables a little more than others, but they did post that there is just one physics engine for all the builds of the games over the various platforms.

Velinos

I finally got to play some of the full tables in TPA now that I have Seasons 1 and 2. I picked up the Pro version for Season 1 because I read that you can disable Family Mode for the callouts in SS, though it looks like it is disabled by default so I don't know about that. I wanted to see the ending of TOTAN so I gave myself some extra balls and was able to finish it, but the game got stuck at a please wait message on the DMD after the ending sequence finished. TOTAN has given me issues in the past; occasionally when I restart a game the DMD will sit at the Game Over message and I need to restart TPA.

Pin-Bot on TPA was a lot of fun. I still have yet to play an actual machine, but I really enjoyed playing the NES version as a kid. Hopefully the machine that I found on location in town will be fixed soon so I can check out how it feels. I only played one game, but it went for a good 15-20 minutes. Ended with a score of about 4.5 million and got to Mars, so pretty good for my first try. Now I really want to play an actual machine.

They confirmed the physics engine on all builds are exactly the same didn't they? I believe it is possible perhaps they tweaked specific platform's tables a little more than others, but they did post that there is just one physics engine for all the builds of the games over the various platforms.

Speaking from personal experience playing them, Medieval Madness 360 physics is different from PS3 physics which is different from Steam physics which is different from Android physics. The ball bounces differently in all of them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I finally got to play some of the full tables in TPA now that I have Seasons 1 and 2. I picked up the Pro version for Season 1 because I read that you can disable Family Mode for the callouts in SS, though it looks like it is disabled by default so I don't know about that. I wanted to see the ending of TOTAN so I gave myself some extra balls and was able to finish it, but the game got stuck at a please wait message on the DMD after the ending sequence finished. TOTAN has given me issues in the past; occasionally when I restart a game the DMD will sit at the Game Over message and I need to restart TPA.

Pin-Bot on TPA was a lot of fun. I still have yet to play an actual machine, but I really enjoyed playing the NES version as a kid. Hopefully the machine that I found on location in town will be fixed soon so I can check out how it feels. I only played one game, but it went for a good 15-20 minutes. Ended with a score of about 4.5 million and got to Mars, so pretty good for my first try. Now I really want to play an actual machine.

I had this happen to me when I completed TOTAN on stock rules, too. It was bullshit - game just froze up on me. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Speaking from personal experience playing them, Medieval Madness 360 physics is different from PS3 physics which is different from Steam physics which is different from Android physics. The ball bounces differently in all of them.

Yeah, a few people have said as much, this goes back a bit to here, where we are given a response. I certainly trust you and others that something is different, but there's quite a few blue responses in that thread that assure us the engines are the same across the different platforms.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
maybe if not the upgraded lighting..which I think would be "the gift that keeps giving all year long Clark"
How bout custom camera view 5!!!
I broke down and bought season one on my ipad air and some of the camera views are so much better then the PC ones for portrait mode.but all are inconsistent tho.
How do you quickly nudge the table on a tablet..seems kinda messy trying to move you hand up and clicking ..can't nudge and shoot at sametime to save those center drains.

Velinos

maybe if not the upgraded lighting..which I think would be "the gift that keeps giving all year long Clark"
How bout custom camera view 5!!!
I broke down and bought season one on my ipad air and some of the camera views are so much better then the PC ones for portrait mode.but all are inconsistent tho.
How do you quickly nudge the table on a tablet..seems kinda messy trying to move you hand up and clicking ..can't nudge and shoot at sametime to save those center drains.

I've never tried it, but I believe there is an option to change the nudge to be controlled by motion.

Shaneus

One of the remaining days might be info on the lighting update on PC.
Lol. It won't.
Ha... oh :(

Yeah, a few people have said as much, this goes back a bit to here, where we are given a response. I certainly trust you and others that something is different, but there's quite a few blue responses in that thread that assure us the engines are the same across the different platforms.
Hah, I totally started that thread. I'm with Parallax on that one (and given his scores across platforms, I'm willing to take it as gospel) and purely and simply, I don't believe FS when they say they feel the same. They might have the same engines, but there must be something else that affects "feel". I'd probably say it's refresh rate, I know they said that the physics on at least one (maybe all) of the platforms only updates at the higher frequency when it gets near the flippers/slings, perhaps it does that for one platform but on another it updates that frequently across the whole playfield.

Dollars to donuts when the new lighting hits the PC, the new physics will as well.

Edit: Let's have a look at the FS 12 Days of Christmas 2013:

Day one: Deleted from FB page?
Two: Steam Mac release
Three: New Pinball Arcade UI! (Due 2014. Bahaha)
Four: Pinball Arcade on PS4
Five: Deleted from FB page?
Six: Holiday tournament announced.
Seven: Fish Tales released.
Eight: Orbals. Wooo.
Nine: Challenge mode. "We are in the process of designing a challenge mode within the game to go head to head with a player of your choice. Opponents scores will be displayed on-screen to let you know if you have fallen behind or how much of a lead you have. The concept is still undergoing design, but we can guarantee an intense interactive experience to come in Pinball Arcade."
Ten: Steam Linux version under development.
Eleven: Deleted from FB page?
Twelve:
Elq8q4W.gif

Edit: Found this via PAF via a link in this thread :)
12 Days of Christmas 2013
To fill in the blanks:
Day one: Announcement of PS4 release date (as opposed to the PS4 version releasing on day four)
Five: Some good reviews of TPA on PS4, plus giveaways.
Eleven: Pinball After Dark with head-to-head in 2014. I'm guessing this got shelved because of the Ghostbusters table?

Honestly couldn't care about this year's announcements. Because they probably won't happen anyway (or will just be giveaways that I never win).

Top Bottom