• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Benedict

Seems like most of what I type on this thread nowadays is related to how Farsight keeps fucking up their PS4 versions, especially in EU.

The 40% discount on S2 was a lie, or just badly phrased. price is regular season price.
S2 is not available to purchase, only the table packs.

They need to pull their act together soon (years ago...) or they will lose big time. Seems like their love for pinball has been replaced with love for $$$ only...

God I hate them so much right now...

Right, so on PSN I can see the season pass for 3 and for 4 (didn't think we were getting season passes in advance anymore?), but no season 2?

What's going on? I was about to throw money at you Farsight, but I'm confused and hurt.

And the season one discount is still not working if you bought all season one tables with some pro versions :^(((
Sent Farsight a mail two times and never had a response, Zen Studio's support is so much better.

Shaneus

Seems like most of what I type on this thread nowadays is related to how Farsight keeps fucking up their PS4 versions, especially in EU.

The 40% discount on S2 was a lie, or just badly phrased. price is regular season price.
S2 is not available to purchase, only the table packs.

They need to pull their act together soon (years ago...) or they will lose big time. Seems like their love for pinball has been replaced with love for $$$ only...

God I hate them so much right now...
So PS4 version of S2 is finally up? Wonder what happened with the XBO exclusivity?

And their third-day Christmas thing being a tournament? What a joke... NO ONE CARES
except for Parallax who will win them all

Mollymauk

So PS4 version of S2 is finally up? Wonder what happened with the XBO exclusivity?

And their third-day Christmas thing being a tournament? What a joke... NO ONE CARES

I saw the s2 tables in game, but I do not see the bundle in the store. Last I heard the bundle will be available on the 23rd?

Thanks, but I haven't actually participated in any of the tournaments. I don't have a lot of time to play these days anyway.

Shaneus

I saw the s2 tables in game, but I do not see the bundle in the store. Last I heard the bundle will be available on the 23rd?
Hm. At least they'll be available to test with the new lighting. Means I can dream what they'll look like on PC. Eventually. Maybe.

Benedict

According to their Twitter, S2 is postponed until January, no reasons given...

@PinballArcade: @Monkster1978 Season Two has been postponed for SCEE PS4, unfortunately. January is the new target.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait... so the ability to purchase the full season is postponed, but the table packs are up?

Generally, they haven't been too keen on selling season packs (which are discounted vs individual tables) at the release of new tables, right? I guess you can consider all these tables new since they're less than a month old I believe?

Benedict

Despite their shenanigans I am contemplating buying a season for iOS while they are on sale, since I have bought a iPad Mini 2.
Just can't decide which season to get.

Velinos

Despite their shenanigans I am contemplating buying a season for iOS while they are on sale, since I have bought a iPad Mini 2.
Just can't decide which season to get.

Both are great deals, 21 and 19 pins for seasons 1 & 2 respectively. I'd say to play the trial version of the games from each season to see which you like better.

Just a head's up for anyone in the Colorado area. There are going to be two huge annual tournaments with weekend. Ultimate pinball Challenge will be at the 1up LODO on Saturday with signups at 11am.
The Ultimate Pinball Carnage will be at the 1up Colfax (formally the 2up) on Sunday, again at 11am.

Saturday will be two out of three match play and Sunday will use the 4 Strike rule so it will be a long day of pinball if anyone is up for it.

Our pinball league finished this week with the finals being next week. I fought all the way to the top group and proceeded to have my worst week, which will knock me all the way down to the bottom : P

On a related note, I'm surprised Starship troopers will be next. I guess it's not an expensive license to get. We had a SST in our regular rotation last year and I really don't care for the game. It's not a terribly interesting table and it lacks proper tournament settings to homogenize things like mystery awards and free multiballs. You can end up just getting lucky too often. The art and DMD display graphics are all great though.

Just a head's up for anyone in the Colorado area. There are going to be two huge annual tournaments with weekend. Ultimate pinball Challenge will be at the 1up LODO on Saturday with signups at 11am.
The Ultimate Pinball Carnage will be at the 1up Colfax (formally the 2up) on Sunday, again at 11am.

Saturday will be two out of three match play and Sunday will use the 4 Strike rule so it will be a long day of pinball if anyone is up for it.

Our pinball league finished this week with the finals being next week. I fought all the way to the top group and proceeded to have my worst week, which will knock me all the way down to the bottom : P

On a related note, I'm surprised Starship troopers will be next. I guess it's not an expensive license to get. We had a SST in our regular rotation last year and I really don't care for the game. It's not a terribly interesting table and it lacks proper tournament settings to homogenize things like mystery awards and free multiballs. You can end up just getting lucky too often. The art and DMD display graphics are all great though.

I'm in Boulder but I'm busy this weekend, plus I'm ass at real pinball. I might check out the league later on though.

I'm in Boulder but I'm busy this weekend, plus I'm ass at real pinball. I might check out the league later on though.

I think the last Sunday of the month, they still have a tournament at Back Country Pizza.
I know they have one at Press Play in Boulder but I'm not sure what day of the month

There is a monthly tour tonight at Lyons Classic Pinball as well.

Don't let sucking at Pinball stop you. When I started playing two years ago I couldn't win a single game and now I'm ranked about 250th in the world (out of ~20k people). New people join all the time so there are players of all skill levels. You can also learn a ton about the game by watching the best players do their thing.

There are players in the area that I still can't beat but playing against the best players is always more fun. Just last night I got my ass kicked but I finally learned how to Play Highspeed 2. Turnes out I had been playing it the wrong way all this time. There are tons of tricks and strategies you can pick up that will elevate your game.

Our league ends next week and there is also a league in Lyons that runs twice a year. I'm not sure when the next one is but places like pinside and classic arcade resource has info about them.

If you check out LyonsClassicpinball.com they have listings of all the local tournaments and leagues.

I think the last Sunday of the month, they still have a tournament at Back Country Pizza.
I know they have one at Press Play in Boulder but I'm not sure what day of the month

There is a monthly tour tonight at Lyons Classic Pinball as well.

Don't let sucking at Pinball stop you. When I started playing two years ago I couldn't win a single game and now I'm ranked about 250th in the world (out of ~20k people). New people join all the time so there are players of all skill levels. You can also learn a ton about the game by watching the best players do their thing.

There are players in the area that I still can't beat but playing against the best players is always more fun. Just last night I got my ass kicked but I finally learned how to Play Highspeed 2. Turnes out I had been playing it the wrong way all this time. There are tons of tricks and strategies you can pick up that will elevate your game.

Our league ends next week and there is also a league in Lyons that runs twice a year. I'm not sure when the next one is but places like pinside and classic arcade resource has info about them.

If you check out LyonsClassicpinball.com they have listings of all the local tournaments and leagues.

Thanks for the info. I've played in a couple of the Back Country tournaments and I've been to 1up, but otherwise haven't really checkout out the pinball scene here yet. I still need to pay Lyons a visit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DON'T BUY THE S2 tables on PS4 psn!

They won't work.
Even if you can buy them, release is at the end of January and they won't work atm.
Such a classic FS' clusterfuck, don't even change guys!

Shaneus

Honestly Parallax, knowing the rules and exploits of the tables is the most complex skill in maximising scores on real machines. You obviously have that down pat, so I think a buttload of practice and getting feels for different eras of machines would serve you well. Maybe even get one of your own if you can?

I have no doubt you'd be a great tournament player. Should get into it if you can.

They won't work.
Even if you can buy them, release is at the end of January and they won't work atm.
Fuck. Can you even play the previews?

Honestly Parallax, knowing the rules and exploits of the tables is the most complex skill in maximising scores on real machines. You obviously have that down pat, so I think a buttload of practice and getting feels for different eras of machines would serve you well. Maybe even get one of your own if you can?

I think a lot of the scoring strategy changes because risk/reward is so different on a real table. I can get away with stuff in PA that would be too risky on a real table since in PA it's so easy to predict where the ball will go.

But yeah, I could practice more. There's some real pinball skills I haven't learned yet, like I can't livecatch or dropcatch. And of course nudging the table is completely different.

Shaneus

Live catching, dead-flipper passes and post passes are probably the most important skills I've learned in real pinball. I still can't drop catch, but that's more not knowing when to do it (because when I do, it almost always rolls down the flipper towards the drain).

Nudging you'll learn quickly enough. I still don't know when to nudge in the right direction sometimes, something that's easiest learned in TPA because of the exaggerated movement (and generous tilt bob) and if you have that down already, IRL will be easy for you.

In your case, I can't recommend Pinball 101 enough. There's an app on the iOS app store, or you can order the DVD or the standalone video on iTunes (I think). But pretty sure the iOS app is cheapest.

vazel

Banned
Farsight, like Double Fine, are taking on way more than they can handle. I'm happy for their success but they need to prioritize.

The Steam version should be front and center since I think that's where most sim fans will gravitate to in the long term especially with portrait monitor support.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think a lot of the scoring strategy changes because risk/reward is so different on a real table. I can get away with stuff in PA that would be too risky on a real table since in PA it's so easy to predict where the ball will go.

But yeah, I could practice more. There's some real pinball skills I haven't learned yet, like I can't livecatch or dropcatch. And of course nudging the table is completely different.

Nudging in any virtual environment will ruin you. Hoooooly shit.

Thanks for the info. I've played in a couple of the Back Country tournaments and I've been to 1up, but otherwise haven't really checkout out the pinball scene here yet. I still need to pay Lyons a visit.

I used to go to Back Country every month but I live farther south now. There's a good chance you've seen me there if you've played in a tourney there.

jvm

Gamasutra.

They won't work.
mbrQciM.gif

Dear god...

Shaneus

12 Days of Christmas, day five: Taxi/Harley Davidson is only 99c for mobile devices, Steam and Ouya.

sL2PNaE.jpg

Pretty lame, Milhouse.

Vyse24

So the stream of Earthshaker was tonight, so I guess we're getting it tomorrow.

At least I'M getting it tomorrow. I won one of the giveaways for a free copy of the table =D

Shaneus

So the stream of Earthshaker was tonight, so I guess we're getting it tomorrow.

At least I'M getting it tomorrow. I won one of the giveaways for a free copy of the table =D
Damn that stream being during work hours in Australia... we never get anything cool :( Congrats, though!

Not that it matters to me, I'm still holding out for when S4 completes on iOS to buy the full thing, and have S4 locked and loaded for Steam.

Benedict

12 Days of Christmas, day five: Taxi/Harley Davidson is only 99c for mobile devices, Steam and Ouya.

sL2PNaE.jpg

Pretty lame, Milhouse.

Deal seems to be active on Amazon AppStore for android but not on Apples AppStore...
If it turns active I would buy it on iOS and then probably also S2 . Go fix it FarSight.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
crazy van dien -> casper van dien
rico motors -> johnny rico character

though considering they blatantly announce in the newsletter that starship troopers is next, im not sure why they'd still do the clue

Shaneus

though considering they blatantly announce in the newsletter that starship troopers is next, im not sure why they'd still do the clue
Yeah, I have no idea either. But the free game this month is High Speed... wondering if they're doing that in prep for The Getaway?

Edit: Along with Earthshaker being a new table, Phantom and Gorgar were also updated (according to the modified date in the TPA resource folder). Wasn't Gorgar one of the tables we were waiting on emulation for?

Benedict

Sale price for Taxi and Harley Davison is finally available on iOS and is active the whole weekend.
I also discovered that White Water and Space Shuttle from season 2 is on sale as well, even though they haven't mentioned it yet.

Are the sale prices for the season packs live on Android?

Should be, I bought season 2 at a discount days ago.

Earthshaker seems to be somewhat broken, at least on Steam, got a replay complete with text and the solenoid noise, but the extra ball light didn't come on.
I might be misunderstanding this part, but scoring millions during multiball doesn't seem to add them to your score.
Then the ball got stuck, but the attendant thought otherwise.

EDIT: Just found out replays give credits which with free play does nothing ofcourse.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

New newsletter is out now. And if anyone can tell me what the table hint has to do with Starship Troopers, I'd appreciate it.

http://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=Z...SMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w5cFpDSTZOak16TWpVMk1EWXhNalo5

Am I misremembering, or is that list of materials the guy gives filled with items you can get in the souvenir shop in Red and Ted's Roadshow?

Top Bottom