• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

the ps4 version looks so much better..not just the lights ..but the way the grey plastic in the back looks so flat with the old lighting..then turns into this beautiful semitransparent plastic I can't wait for this patch to go live.

Yeah I've never really liked the look of the plastics under the default lighting on PC/360/Vita. It's much nicer when light is actually shining through them in a dimmed room. Maybe sometime later this year when I buy a PS4 I'll get to experience it. :(

lolwut

They just hinted that it was coming. Or do they mean "no 3DS, but yes new 3DS"?

In the family gamer interview with the lead designer, he *specifically* said that TPA would be coming to the New3DS hopefully some time this year, and that it was powerful enough to handle the rom emulation (unlike the OG 3DS).

So there you go.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i've been playing pinball fx2 all month waiting for the dx11 update to hit..man going back to TPA feels so loose and floaty now. Gonna take some time to get use to it again.
Addams family looks like a really fun table but might just wait till the dx11 hits before really getting into it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I assume the next table is Cyclone then?

As Jim Ross would say, aw, son of a bitch.

tumblr_l8e2we826T1qdbf9no1_500.jpg

Better put away the ZZ Top CD, then, and hope for April.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
On Pinballfx2 steam forums I've been asking for some portrait camera changes, since all the portrait views are straight top down and have issues.basically posting some composite shots highlighting some change requests fixes etc to 1w

after messing around abit with addams family tonight and deciding i wanna wait till the dx11 patch comes out I went back to Fx2 and bought some more star wars tables.

I started playing the bobba Fett table and was cycling thru the camera views and this popped up.

BbLF4U7.jpg

I'm floored..its exactly what I've been asking for....is this a known view for this table? or is this perhaps an easter egg of something to come,i've tried on 3 other tables so far and they dont let me pic a view like this
Pretty darn cool tho either way.

Shaneus

Am I surprised I can't access TAF on my iPhone? Or that I can get access to it on my PC but have no idea how to get access to TAF Gold? Not at all.

Although, I'm intrigued by the number of table updates there have been most recently:

HaVpJfi.png

Hmmmmm.

Edit: I'd say from that hint in the email, we'll have Cyclone. Which is a shame, I was sure we were gonna get Getaway :(

Oh, and Firepower, Gorgar and BK received updates on iOS. Maybe emulated now?!? Not updated on PC though, so who knows :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
i've been playing pinball fx2 all month waiting for the dx11 update to hit..man going back to TPA feels so loose and floaty now.

C'mon now. FX2 is cute and all, I own a shitton of tables on PC and iPad, but are you really speaking of TPA's ball physics which quite resemble that of real pinball as worse than ZEN2/FX2`s stuck-on-rails/magnet gamey physics?

Anyway, TAF table on iPad Mini 2 is absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream (so far), it really looks as if they've put a lot more care/resources in crafting this release, which I dunno if that's the case but it's at least quite clear the result is a notch above the vast majority of TPA's tables.

I mean, this looks like the real thing MUCH MORE than T2 or Star Trek TNG, imo.
I need to play it more to see if it also plays as closely as you could expect to the real thing tho, not gonna make that call yet.

Siegmeyer

Back in summer of last year I posted in this thread that the Season 1 discount was still unavailable to me on PS4 (this was a bug at launch) because it says I don't own the Scared Stiif pack or Twilight Zone table yet those were the two packs that I actually bought the Pro upgrade for.

Someone back then suggested I contact Farsight support as they had some sort of workaround. I didn't end up contacting them back them, but after checking the webstore recently this bug is still there. So last week I sent a very polite email to Farsight explaining the issue, which they must know about. I explained that I had money waiting to buy all the released content on PS4, but would not be doing whilst I was being penalised for being such a loyal customer on the PS3.

In the mail the second line clearly says that I bought all Season 1 packs on the day of release. 2 days later I got a response saying "To be clear, do you own all the tables from Season 1?"

Despite feeling like they didn't bother to read my mail properly (it wasn't exactly long ffs), I responded politely and 5 days later got a response saying "Sorry about that, our PSN reps tell us they think it's related to an issue they are working on right now". That was it. That was the entirety of their mail.

Now if this is true, great, but pardon me if I'm a little sceptical that in the first thirteen months nothing has been done (the issue was raised on pinballarcadefans forum at launch and I know they frequent that site), yet suddenly when I contact them it's being worked on "right now". It just comes across as a 'please go away' type response and at this point I'm torn as to whether I want to give them any more money even if it does get fixed. Churning out fresh content isn't the only way to make money - keeping loyal customers is another. They really don't seem to grasp that.

Has anyone here had any joy contacting Sony about any issues? Because if I have to contact Farsight again I'll probably slip into rage mode pretty quickly if they display any more bullshit.

Gah, thanks to anyone who made it to the end of this rant. I'm fucking wound up again just typing it all up.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
C'mon now. FX2 is cute and all, I own a shitton of tables on PC and iPad, but are you really speaking of TPA's ball physics which quite resemble that of real pinball as worse than ZEN2/FX2`s stuck-on-rails/magnet gamey physics?

no no sorry thats not what i ment.
I was use to TPA since thats the only pinball i was playing for months then started playing fx2 for the last few weeks which felt really heavy ..but I got use to it, and then when going back to TPA to try Addams family..its a jarring change. Not saying its worse but just how what ya get use to shapes your perception..or mine specifically.

kramer

Am I surprised I can't access TAF on my iPhone? Or that I can get access to it on my PC but have no idea how to get access to TAF Gold? Not at all.

You have to enable the Gold option in the Operators Menu and it will change the table and rules.

Vyse24

So I'm having fun with TAF. While 'the power' can be frustrating at times, it's still pretty cool.

Currently my highest is 729m. Got all the Standard goals, and so far 2 Wizard goals completed: The Triple Jackpot and Tour the Mansion.

Has anyone here had any joy contacting Sony about any issues? Because if I have to contact Farsight again I'll probably slip into rage mode pretty quickly if they display any more bullshit..

I've mailed Farsight twice about this and never received a response. I called Sony a few weeks ago and had to explain the problem five times, they said they would call me back about it but never did.

Zen Studios support is lightyears ahead of this, such a shame.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally got around to playing some of the S3 tables and Black Rose is raaaad. Really, really fun table. Standard goals are pretty tough though ><

Ban Puncher

The redrawn faces of Lloyd and Workman in the arcade flyer are hilarious.

Also, I kind of get Christopher Lloyd's likeness being expensive but Jimmy Workman asking for too much money? Further amusement.

Also, I kind of get Christopher Lloyd's likeness being expensive but Jimmy Workman asking for too much money? Further amusement.

It's such a weird situation that the only theory I can come up with is they couldn't come up with a budget to pay for every member of the cast, so a hard ceiling was placed on likenesses other than Julia, Huston and Llloyd since those three are the most prominent. They did say Huston was asking for a ton, so in order to pay for her (and sweeten Llyod's ultimately rejected deal) they maybe took money from the Workman budget thinking they could live with him turning down a tiny offer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess I don't fully know what th offers were (maybe nil in some cases) but I really don't get turning anything down. It's not like there's a market clamping for these likenesses and you're going to weaken your position. And the terms are private anyway. If anything it just gets you out there again. But I guess some of them have sworn off acting (Workman) or are weirdos (Lloyd) so maybe it's just a particularly tough cast to deal with.

Shaneus

You have to enable the Gold option in the Operators Menu and it will change the table and rules.
Yeah, I wound up finding that. On the plus side, even though I backed the KS for $100 (which is meant to be TAF Gold on only one platform) it's granted Gold access to me on both PC (my selected platform) and iOS. Probably have it when it comes out for other platforms, too :)

Anyway, TAF table on iPad Mini 2 is absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream (so far), it really looks as if they've put a lot more care/resources in crafting this release, which I dunno if that's the case but it's at least quite clear the result is a notch above the vast majority of TPA's tables.

I mean, this looks like the real thing MUCH MORE than T2 or Star Trek TNG, imo.
I need to play it more to see if it also plays as closely as you could expect to the real thing tho, not gonna make that call yet.
I played it on a Mini 2 as well and yeah, I'm REALLY happy with it.

Side question: People who have played it (regardless of platform), is it even possible to get Seance via the middle (not upper flipper) ramp? Because every time I plum hit the ramp, The Power sucked all the velocity out of the ball and wouldn't make it up the ramp. It's a pretty severe bug when you can't even complete a mode :/ But otherwise, they've done a VERY good job with the table. Quite impressed... but they DID have to nail it, though. If not, they would've copped an infinite amount of flak for it (and deservedly so).

I kind of wish that they had broken it out into its own table rather than having to select through the menus
Yeah, or have a basic toggle on the menu. Someone made the comment as well (I think on FB) that we're all gonna miss the default AfM music when the table select menu opens up :(

Side question: People who have played it (regardless of platform), is it even possible to get Seance via the middle (not upper flipper) ramp? Because every time I plum hit the ramp, The Power sucked all the velocity out of the ball and wouldn't make it up the ramp. It's a pretty severe bug when you can't even complete a mode :/ But otherwise, they've done a VERY good job with the table. Quite impressed... but they DID have to nail it, though. If not, they would've copped an infinite amount of flak for it (and deservedly so).

I've gotten seance on the center ramp (steam version).

Shaneus

I've gotten seance on the center ramp (steam version).
Was The Power active? I tried a number of times and it felt like it would never go. Maybe it's a timing thing, working out (or fluking) when to go for the shot.

Did the Gold version have different music then?
No different music, I just meant that when you go to the menu select screen, it always defaults in alphabetical order, which is AfM, so the AfM music plays. Now that TAF is there, we'll get the TAF (high score) music.

And I'm pretty sure that even though it seemed to default to Gold on PC/Steam, the menu music was identical (if that's what you were asking) :)

Was The Power active? I tried a number of times and it felt like it would never go. Maybe it's a timing thing, working out (or fluking) when to go for the shot.

Yes, power was active.

I don't get the addams family. I like Lawlor games in general so it will probably click eventually. But for now I don't see the appeal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, power was active.

I don't get the addams family. I like Lawlor games in general so it will probably click eventually. But for now I don't see the appeal.

The theming really works nicely imo. That was the biggest draw when I played back around release, it was brutally hard for me too, wasn't too uncommon to see a ball leave the table without ever touching a single flipper. The novelty of having thing flip for you and the greed multiball were fun as well. Maybe it's more of a showpiece than a masterpiece, but I always found it to be a very fun table to actually play in person.

Shaneus

Yes, power was active.

I'm the same... maybe it was just lightning in a bottle and the theme happened to work well with the design of the machine at the time?

There's a number of bugs I've found with the table, too... particularly, the ball can all too easily creep behind the bookcase when it's closed and to the upper right flipper, even managed to score a "dirty pool" bonus by getting it behind said case when it was closed. Also, Thing Flips needs to be tuned something severely as I've maybe had 1/5 shots make the graveyard. And considering the feed that goes to the left flipper always hits the TF inlane (rather than being random, or going for the bear kicks ramp) it leaves the ball in far too an unpredictable state.

Oh, and The Power/Seance thing I've been experiencing has mostly been on iOS. Haven't had much of a chance to play it on PC.

Yeah, and the Thing ramp (to the left of the bear kick ramp) is far too hard to hit compared to the real game. And The Power IMO is still far too grabby. It should divert the direction of the ball when active, but it's completely sapping any power from the ball.

Thing Flips needs to be tuned something severely as I've maybe had 1/5 shots make the graveyard.

Just like a real table, then. :D

And yes, TAF is all about the theming. The license is so perfectly integrated with the table's goals and the sound/voice work is a serious thrill.

I have seen the devil on NeoGaf
One time my friends and I pushed a pinball machine out of the back of a truck going 80 miles an hour..

D:

The WrestleMania launch party is today. I should be able to make it. Unfortunately I only played the game twice before now.

Has anyone played it and have any multiball/mode tips? I've seen a Ref multiball but I'm not clear on how it works. I really need to know the fastest way to start a 3 ball multiball.

Everytime we've had a launch with a new machine, the person to has the most multiballs wins.

Velinos

I have seen the devil on NeoGaf

D:

The WrestleMania launch party is today. I should be able to make it. Unfortunately I only played the game twice before now.

Has anyone played it and have any multiball/mode tips? I've seen a Ref multiball but I'm not clear on how it works. I really need to know the fastest way to start a 3 ball multiball.

Everytime we've had a launch with a new machine, the person to has the most multiballs wins.

I'm not sure, but I think it is triggered by hitting the ramps up to the ring. My strategy was to get the ball up into the ring and keeping it there as long as possible. The inner orbits light extra ball, which won't help you if your tourney is like mine with extra balls turned off. After you pin a wrestler, then you need to do some stuff on the lower playfield to start the next match (not sure what that is exactly), but then you rinse and repeat. Good luck.

Blu10

I'm not sure, but I think it is triggered by hitting the ramps up to the ring. My strategy was to get the ball up into the ring and keeping it there as long as possible. The inner orbits light extra ball, which won't help you if your tourney is like mine with extra balls turned off. After you pin a wrestler, then you need to do some stuff on the lower playfield to start the next match (not sure what that is exactly), but then you rinse and repeat. Good luck.

There are 3 drop targets on the lower playfield you need to hit to start the next match. Multiball (ref) is triggered from the ramps, and the is also a tag team multiball, but no idea what you need to do to start it.

There are 3 drop targets on the lower playfield you need to hit to start the next match. Multiball (ref) is triggered from the ramps, and the is also a tag team multiball, but no idea what you need to do to start it.

Thanks. One of the things I heard people saying is that after you finish a match, those 3 drop targets didn't do anything. Could be from a code update since the table I played was right out of the box.

Came in third at the launch party. It was great; they had lots of free food and beer for us and that never happens.

First, here is what the trophy looked like lol
Denver-20150227-00030_zpsnduxmdt8.jpg

Here's the game I lost by 5010 points. I think that's the closest I've ever seen on a modern game.

Denver-20150227-00032_zpsqkffdncl.jpg

I ended up third. I did win a Wrestlemania trans-light. I swapped out the Xmen print and put this in my light box.

South%20Aurora-20150227-00033_zpsxjre8cmy.jpg

Blu10

Came in third at the launch party. It was great; they had lots of free food and beer for us and that never happens.

First, here is what the trophy looked like lol
Denver-20150227-00030_zpsnduxmdt8.jpg

Here's the game I lost by 5010 points. I think that's the closest I've ever seen on a modern game.

Denver-20150227-00032_zpsqkffdncl.jpg

I ended up third. I did win a Wrestlemania trans-light. I swapped out the Xmen print and put this in my light box.

South%20Aurora-20150227-00033_zpsxjre8cmy.jpg

What did you think of the game itself?

Also, anyone have opinion on a Star Trek pro...I may end up picking one up for the simple fact that it is about $1,400 cheaper than Metallica.

Also, anyone have opinion on a Star Trek pro...I may end up picking one up for the simple fact that it is about $1,400 cheaper than Metallica.

It;s hard to say. Our issue last night was that we didn't have the new code update. The base code on these is kind of messed up. If you win two matches in the ring and light the US title, there is a bug that kind of stops the game. you can still play, but you can't start modes and new matches. We all knew that so we played around it.

The biggest issue is the code itself. People are going to reject this game fast if they can't play it right.

Aside from that. I love the graphics and the design of the table. It looks really cool; I do think too much of the table is devoted to shooting it back up top. It's a very good design for a wrestling game, but maybe not great in general for pinball. It's very appropriate is what I'm saying. I like the ring and the loop around the center. I like it, but there are very few pinball tables I don't like. I've loved all the modern ones. Most people I know (Players and operators) hate Mustang and Avenger and I would gladly have either of those in my collection. I think avengers is a top tier machine but I seem to be alone in that opinion.

I left my light box on when I went to sleep and I woke up to a giant back-lit Cena head starting me at. Dis-Tur-Bing

I took out my frustration at no TAF yet on AfM and got Rule the Universe. Just need the max hurry up and the insane super jackpot and I've got all the wizard goals. :p

vg260

Dunno if it was mentioned, but I saw on the pinball arcade fans forum that the PC DX11 update was on track for the March release.

I'll believe it when I see it, but hope it comes through because I was holding off buying any more until it happened.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

ST is a great game if you like mode based pins. I don't know how the code stands at the moment, but the basic premise should still remain intact. Have you played it yet? MET and ST are two VERY different games.

The differences between the Pro and the Premium/LE are pretty big; however, only one of these things changes the gameplay dramatically (kickback). The change the flow and look of the game, but having played the Pro and owned the Premium in the past, I can tell you that the kickback is the biggest difference. They may have added a virtual kickback/saver on the Pro in the latest code, but I don't know.

Top Bottom