• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I know it is cool to some, and I appreciate it from a Guiness wow-that's-a-big-number sense, but to me the amount of time competitive players spend on a single game is just boring as hell. I dunno, put a shark in the game that randomly eats the ball or something. Kinda wish they'd talk about competitive pinball way less on coast2coast because I just don't find it all that interesting unless it's someone in here or something. :/
It's really only been the last month or so though, and only because PAPA is coming up in a few weeks. That, and there really hasn't been much else go on in the industry (except for the Predator thing, but he devoted an entire episode to that saga).

I'm absolutely loving it though, for what it's worth. Maybe you'll get to a point when you'll start thinking about playing competitively (even if it's just for shits and giggles), but if not I'm sure it provides an interesting insight as to just how technical playing a game can be (beyond avoiding the ball go down the drain).

Velinos

Pretty sure he did that on purpose, haha.

Got a lead on a super nice routed LotR for $4800. I think I can get him to $4500, though.

Good luck with LotR. It is tentatively on my shortlist for my first machine, but I have yet to play one to see if I actually like it. Looks cool from the videos and it is a theme that the wife will like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's really only been the last month or so though, and only because PAPA is coming up in a few weeks. That, and there really hasn't been much else go on in the industry (except for the Predator thing, but he devoted an entire episode to that saga).

I'm absolutely loving it though, for what it's worth. Maybe you'll get to a point when you'll start thinking about playing competitively (even if it's just for shits and giggles), but if not I'm sure it provides an interesting insight as to just how technical playing a game can be (beyond avoiding the ball go down the drain).

Haha yeah I would actually appreciate pinball-playing tips a lot, but they don't even talk about that. It's more like hero worship of the top players. I realize I'm totally idiosyncratic on this and there very much is merit to the discussions for many people, just not me. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haha yeah I would actually appreciate pinball-playing tips a lot, but they don't even talk about that. It's more like hero worship of the top players. I realize I'm totally idiosyncratic on this and there very much is merit to the discussions for many people, just not me. :p

It's weird to think about, I'll agree with you there. I hear certain names and go, "Oh yeah, I know that name." But I would never see one of these people in person and say, "Holy shit it's you!"

Except maybe Bowen Kerins. That dude is nuts. ;)

Good luck with LotR. It is tentatively on my shortlist for my first machine, but I have yet to play one to see if I actually like it. Looks cool from the videos and it is a theme that the wife will like.

Thanks mate. Game is REALLY fun, but for totally different reasons than other machines. It's more of a quest or an adventure. I feel like it's one of those games that makes you a better player since there are 8 major shots to make at various spots across the playfield. Accuracy or bust!

Velinos

I'm not sure how well pinball playing tips would work on a podcast. Maybe it is because I am a visual person, but I know that I would not be able to follow a detailed explanation of how to play a specific machine or even how to do generic techniques like flipper passing. The best thing I have found for improving my skills is to go to a local tournament/event (one that is casual, not something like PAPA) and ask someone experienced to show you how to play in person. I have yet to find someone who wasn't more than happy to help. Even just watching a good player play has taught me a lot from watching how they stand, how they flip, how they nudge the machine, etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not sure how well pinball playing tips would work on a podcast. Maybe it is because I am a visual person, but I know that I would not be able to follow a detailed explanation of how to play a specific machine or even how to do generic techniques like flipper passing. The best thing I have found for improving my skills is to go to a local tournament/event (one that is casual, not something like PAPA) and ask someone experienced to show you how to play in person. I have yet to find someone who wasn't more than happy to help. Even just watching a good player play has taught me a lot from watching how they stand, how they flip, how they nudge the machine, etc.

Nudging is the big one. I know it's a feel thing, but I'd LOVE to see a really in depth tutorial on nudging.

WrestleMania code got updated within the last few days. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but maybe now all our games won't end after a few minutes. I did hear they upped the power on the ropes and flippers, which I didn't think was needed. I've been able to make shots, there was just nothing left to do after I did.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody can confirm that TAF has a bit of response lag when played with iCade?
Done a quick comparison with Ghostbusters (god that table-slash-HMmod is awfully boring) which is super responsive while TAF is clearly "heavy" which is a tad on the realistic side of things but that's too much and there's none of it when played via the touchscreen controls.
I couldn't check other tables cause it wasn't my setup.

I wonder if using blutrol (not an option now, have to wait for a new jb exploit to be found) would be better than native iCade support but I think that'd be unlikely.

Also I really need to mod my iCade but I'm such a terrible DIY-er... I'd love to replace the buttons with Sanwa and the stick and add buttons on the side for TPA

Shaneus

More than actual playing tips, I find the way they're discussing approaching tournaments to be incredibly helpful. Not in terms of technique, but approach such as modes (like Cayle breaking down his shots in terms of percentages, as discussed on the most recent Pinheadz), as well as managing nerves and just having fun.

Honestly, with the infrequency and lack of machines at each of the tournaments here in Australia (at least, in Melbourne) it becomes frustrating and not enjoyable. There's literally no location pinball that has more than three machines within 4-5 hours drive. So a comp will involve just putting a score up (which I don't like at all, I'd rather play against someone) and waiting for fucking ages while everyone else goes through the motions.

If anyone has ideas for a tournament format involving a small number of machines that doesn't involve loads of waiting/boredom, I'd love to hear it.

Blu10

More than actual playing tips, I find the way they're discussing approaching tournaments to be incredibly helpful. Not in terms of technique, but approach such as modes (like Cayle breaking down his shots in terms of percentages, as discussed on the most recent Pinheadz), as well as managing nerves and just having fun.

Honestly, with the infrequency and lack of machines at each of the tournaments here in Australia (at least, in Melbourne) it becomes frustrating and not enjoyable. There's literally no location pinball that has more than three machines within 4-5 hours drive. So a comp will involve just putting a score up (which I don't like at all, I'd rather play against someone) and waiting for fucking ages while everyone else goes through the motions.

If anyone has ideas for a tournament format involving a small number of machines that doesn't involve loads of waiting/boredom, I'd love to hear it.

You checked out inside yet? The are a ton of folks that have home tables, and you could organize a local group of folks to play on theirs as well as whatever local bar tables are available. Who knows, that person that normally beats your high score at the bar, may live right around you.

Shaneus

You checked out inside yet? The are a ton of folks that have home tables, and you could organize a local group of folks to play on theirs as well as whatever local bar tables are available. Who knows, that person that normally beats your high score at the bar, may live right around you.
I am friends with a guy who I think has around 7 or 8 machines (one of which is a Big Bang Bar!) and I'm going to his place whenever he has a pinball thing, but I'm more referring to a place I can kinda just rock up to whenever and play a couple of machines. That (preferably) isn't a pub (unless there are STACKS of pinnies).

It's ridiculous that even my local (franchised) arcade only has two machines, Star Trek Pro and Metallica Pro (both on factory code, no less!).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am friends with a guy who I think has around 7 or 8 machines (one of which is a Big Bang Bar!) and I'm going to his place whenever he has a pinball thing, but I'm more referring to a place I can kinda just rock up to whenever and play a couple of machines. That (preferably) isn't a pub (unless there are STACKS of pinnies).

It's ridiculous that even my local (franchised) arcade only has two machines, Star Trek Pro and Metallica Pro (both on factory code, no less!).

Good lord, a BBB? That's NUTS.

Shaneus

Yup! The closest I ever got to one was at Texas last year, but because of the stupid auction company there and the fact that it was already sold, it wasn't setup to play (even though it'd been advertised as if it was). Wasn't real happy.

But given what's been happening with Predator recently, in hindsight I was damn glad to play that!

Blu10

Feel thankful! Haven't seen an arcade, let alone one that had a pinball machine, in at least a decade. Closest I get is bars with machines from a local operator in nice condition, or bowling alleys with pin in piss poor conditions.

Shaneus

Zaccaria Pinball has been updated for iOS! The following changes/updates are included:

What's New in Version 3.3

ADDED new physics engine that features better ball behavior and flipper handling.

ADDED a new pinball table, COMBAT.

FIXED wrong default ball setting to normal.

UPDATED physics setting for gates that ensures faster ball movement through it.

ADDED a new graphics feature, LIGHTMAP REFRESH RATE. The lower setting makes faster performance on slower devices.

ADDED renewed light effects for TIME MACHINE, DEVIL RIDERS, LOCOMOTION, PINBALL CHAMP '82, FARFALLA, ROBOT, HOT WHEELS, SHOOTING THE RAPIDS, STAR GOD, MAGIC CASTLE, EARTH WIND FIRE and CLOWN.

FIXED default setting issue of Lightmap Force in Graphics Settings.

ADDED a new option to Game Settings, 'Inverse Tilt' that makes tilt reserve direction.

ADDED a new option to Graphics Settings, 'Reflection FX' that controls reflections on the playfield.

FIXED flipper issue on HOUSE OF DIAMONDS and WINTER SPORTS.

FIXED transparent issue behind some spot targets on STRIKE.

FIXED wrong sound of right upper bumper on FUTURE WORLD.
Love their work SO much. They really seem to "get it" compared to Farsight. Has always played better than TPA (regardless of platform) and has better lighting than the TPA on the majority of platforms, and they're on a mobile device. Buy their gold membership if you haven't already, it's totally worth it! $25US (I think) for something like 30 tables.

Feel thankful! Haven't seen an arcade, let alone one that had a pinball machine, in at least a decade. Closest I get is bars with machines from a local operator in nice condition, or bowling alleys with pin in piss poor conditions.
Gah, really? Whereabouts are you located? No wonder you want to get your own machine!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Going to a wedding this weekend where my wife is the maid of honor...I have a shit ton of time to do nothing, so I did some research and found this place: Pinball Pete's.

I told now know what I'll be doing. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Zaccaria Pinball has been updated for iOS! The following changes/updates are included:

Love their work SO much. They really seem to "get it" compared to Farsight. Has always played better than TPA (regardless of platform) and has better lighting than the TPA on the majority of platforms, and they're on a mobile device. Buy their gold membership if you haven't already, it's totally worth it! $25US (I think) for something like 30 tables.

What do you mean by this?

Shaneus

What do you mean by this?
Which part? Zaccaria Pinball is an iOS (and I think Android) app that digitises all the games from Zaccaria from around the mid-70s to late-80s. The quality of their product blows me away because there are so many cusomisation options, including advanced graphical effects like lighting (so you can have dark lighting a la the PS4/XBO versions of TPA) and physics (angle of table, strength of flippers and slingshots etc.) but all on a portable device (almost invalidating the excuse Farsight has in saying advanced lighting can't be done on mobile devices).

Even out of the box (ie. default settings) the ball feels weightier and more realistic than in TPA.

If you're talking about the reference to the "gold" IAP, there are a few levels of IAP you can get into. You can buy the tables individually (I think?) or get several levels of season passes... "Bronze" just gets you tables, "Silver" gets you tables and some customisation options (maybe only graphical?) and "Gold" gets you all options and tables.

Hope this helps :)

Wikipedia
IPDB listing

I really wish there was a Steam version of Zaccaria. I need some comfy couch action.
I believe they're looking at it? I'm sure I read something about potential for a Kickstarter (or whatever, maybe even just an expression of interest) for a PC version. I'd say it's likely though!

Bebpo

Banned
Man, Black Rose standard goals really are killing me. I've moved on to the next table (normally I get all the standard goals then move on to the next table, then when I have all standard goals on all tables I just play them for fun and get wizard goals occasionally), but I still play 1 round of BR every time I turn it on and go for the extra ball goal & 3 ball multi-ball goal. I mean the table itself is not that hard, but getting those specific goals is a paaaaain.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm going to bite on the $4700 LOTR. Game is in really nice condition outside of one spot on the shire hole. Otherwise, it looks great. If I could grab a routed POTC for $3500, I'd go that route instead, but I don't think I'll see one of those again for a while.

Regarding virtual pinball, I was having a knockout game on Funhouse last night, but my phone gave an error when I accidentally rotated my screen and closed the app. Farsight doesn't seem to respond to my emails either, so I'm basically fucked when it comes to bugs. -_-

snaffles

Man, Black Rose standard goals really are killing me. I've moved on to the next table (normally I get all the standard goals then move on to the next table, then when I have all standard goals on all tables I just play them for fun and get wizard goals occasionally), but I still play 1 round of BR every time I turn it on and go for the extra ball goal & 3 ball multi-ball goal. I mean the table itself is not that hard, but getting those specific goals is a paaaaain.

The three ball multiball has been a struggle for me as well, I think that is the one I don't have of the standard goals. Have also been putting in some time trying to get the last wizard goal for High Speed lately, the 250,000 off ramp one. I am the worst at hitting those targets.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really jelly about the Texas Pinball convention they talked about on the last C2C. Tons of games and lots of space...sounds like the opposite of CA Extreme. :/ (Which is literally five minutes from my house but I have little desire to go to again after going last year with friends and barely being able to get in on any games whatsoever.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played a lot of location pinball today! Bunch of titles I didn't touch, too (TAF, Austin Powers, STTNG, XMEN LE, TFTC, Nascar, couple more).

Mustang LE - felt OK. Glad I got to play it, but I really wasn't into the music. There was a lot on the playfield, but it just felt kind of cheap.

Walking Dead LE - This surprised me. I had a lot of fun with it. I imagine the Pro is close? But this had some cool toys and some great flow. I wrote it off initially. Really cool.

TRON LE - It's TRON Pro with more toys. I would never spend money on the LE of this.

Pirates - Still love this game. The flippers were weak on this one, though. Not suitable for a one game collection, and the music is kind of lackluster. Fun table overall.

Family Guy - What the hell, this game is great! If the theme wasn't vulgar, I'd honestly consider one on my shortlist.

AFM - Can you go wrong with this? Wait, yes...You can. It wasn't well taken care of and it was dark. Felt like it wasn't level, either.

South Park - Sound wasn't working, but even if it was, it was NOT a game I would want to play again.

TSPP - So I thought I'd like this game more, but after playing it, I realized I wouldn't want one. It's sort of fun, but it just feels hectic in a bad way. I think I'd play it every time it was on location, and the game is fun to shoot...But just not enough to get me to buy one. Also the lighting was bad on this one and you literally couldn't see the garage.

TOM - Oh man, I am SO happy I finally got to play this table in person. The trunk is a really cool feature in TPA, but it's even cooler in person. This game is a classic for a reason. Nudging is REQUIREF on it because the trunk drains are tough.

MM - I think this is a great game, but condition is king here. MMR will be great for folks who want to own this. I love the game enough to say I'd probably own one for cheap, but not the current rates, haha.

LotR - At 50 cents a play, I put like 8 games on this to make sure I enjoyed it. I TOTALLY did. This game really is incredible.

Spiderman - Holy shit, I love this game. Like, LOVE this game. I kind of want one. Also, I put up a location high score:

aolPgX4.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Finally dug into Star Trek: TNG and reached Final Frontier for the first time. I had 3 artifacts, making each shot worth 75 million.

Even though I kinda botched the Wizard Mode I still ended up with over 4 billion for the run, putting me at the top of my friends list.

What a fantastic table.

What's left on TPA's licensed table wishlist that would require a Kickstarter? Simpson's Pinball Party is the obvious candidate, and I would guess will probably be the next KS. Indiana Jones might forever be out of reach, sadly. Would Judge Dredd require a KS, or could it be handled by a standard licensing agreement?

So I got a patch for PA last night on PS4. I can see all the new tables up to The Addams Family. Can I download them? Nope. I own the season 4 pass and I also Kickstartered TAF.

Can anyone else see them, or download them? Truth be told, I just wanna play my old favourite Earthshaker.

Shaneus

What's left on TPA's licensed table wishlist that would require a Kickstarter? Simpson's Pinball Party is the obvious candidate, and I would guess will probably be the next KS. Indiana Jones might forever be out of reach, sadly. Would Judge Dredd require a KS, or could it be handled by a standard licensing agreement?
Judge Dredd should be safe. I'd say there'd be some licensing involved, but it would fall under the same umbrella as titles like both Elviras, BSD and Starship Troopers: It'd be cheap enough license that it's really not a thing. I believe each month they have kind of a budget to go for a license if it's required (such as the music in Getaway and Road Show, a single actor's likeness like BSD) so only the biggest licenses wouldn't fall under that umbrella.

At a guess:
The Shadow (Alec Baldwin could be tricky, may need a KS)
World Cup USA '94 (FIFA/World Cup licensing could be touchy)
Newish Sterns (I don't think we're far off from seeing Transformers, Spidey and the like in TPA, I don't think)
Jurassic Park
Guns n Roses (I think this could cover a KS easily. Maybe bundle it with something less likely to generate fanfare)
Dr. Who
Johnny Mnemonic
WWF Royal Rumble
Demolition Man

Go on....

I really am curious which games I listed are not on your list of fun titles??
I was partially baiting, but more for the interest of instigating discussion. I love talking about all this stuff! I'll just edit your quote because I'm lazy:
Played a lot of location pinball today! Bunch of titles I didn't touch, too (TAF, Austin Powers, STTNG, XMEN LE, TFTC, Nascar, couple more).

Mustang LE - felt OK. Glad I got to play it, but I really wasn't into the music. There was a lot on the playfield, but it just felt kind of cheap.
Agree with you on this one. Though I'm growing to like it quite a bit.

Walking Dead LE - This surprised me. I had a lot of fun with it. I imagine the Pro is close? But this had some cool toys and some great flow. I wrote it off initially. Really cool.
Really not a fan. The fact that there are two easy drains (the exit from the pops and from the magnet) are frustrating and scream poor design to me. Most of the design is okay, but those two things bring it down.

TRON LE - It's TRON Pro with more toys. I would never spend money on the LE of this.
I've never been a massive fan of any Tron to start with (it just took me a while to play it, maybe the hype killed it for me), and I know you like the Pro :p

Pirates - Still love this game. The flippers were weak on this one, though. Not suitable for a one game collection, and the music is kind of lackluster. Fun table overall.
Agree again. I think I would like to own one, but a) only if it's in great nick, b) if it's cheap and c) it wouldn't be a permanent one

Family Guy - What the hell, this game is great! If the theme wasn't vulgar, I'd honestly consider one on my shortlist.
Can't stand this game. Feels kinda cheap (at least, all the ones I've played) and there are no really satisfying shots in it... for me, anyway.

AFM - Can you go wrong with this? Wait, yes...You can. It wasn't well taken care of and it was dark. Felt like it wasn't level, either.
Do love it, but I don't see myself ever owning one. Always asking for too much, that's about the only reason. Maybe if I win the lottery.

South Park - Sound wasn't working, but even if it was, it was NOT a game I would want to play again.
I quite like it! I know it's not deep, but the shots are super easy to hit and it's a bit of fun in general. I see it being a perfect game to introduce someone to pinball to with the big inserts, clean layout and bold, simple colours. You are missing a bit with the sound as well, it really does add to it.

TSPP - So I thought I'd like this game more, but after playing it, I realized I wouldn't want one. It's sort of fun, but it just feels hectic in a bad way. I think I'd play it every time it was on location, and the game is fun to shoot...But just not enough to get me to buy one. Also the lighting was bad on this one and you literally couldn't see the garage.
Agree with you here too :) There's not enough great feeling shots, and it's another one from that era that just feels cheap as shit to me.

TOM - Oh man, I am SO happy I finally got to play this table in person. The trunk is a really cool feature in TPA, but it's even cooler in person. This game is a classic for a reason. Nudging is REQUIREF on it because the trunk drains are tough.
Yeah, it's a great title. Agree as well on this one, I love that you wouldn't pick it being the same designer as WCS94! ToM and CV are similar in style that you can tell, but you really can't with WCS and either of them. Kinda why I want to own a WCS (and they seem to go for cheap in Australia, too).

MM - I think this is a great game, but condition is king here. MMR will be great for folks who want to own this. I love the game enough to say I'd probably own one for cheap, but not the current rates, haha.
Yyyup. Sadly, I played an MMR proto in Australia and the flippers felt strangely Stern-like to me and not at all like the proto I played in Texas last year (or the original). Will be interesting to see how it fares.

LotR - At 50 cents a play, I put like 8 games on this to make sure I enjoyed it. I TOTALLY did. This game really is incredible.
Haven't played enough to make a final judgement, but I think I'd put it in the same boat as PotC in that I'd enjoy but not love it. Too deep a ruleset intimidates me. But what I played I liked.

Spiderman - Holy shit, I love this game. Like, LOVE this game. I kind of want one. Also, I put up a location high score:
No surprise you like it, it's basically identical (or closest in similarity) to Stern's Star Trek. I love it too!
So maybe there's not too much difference in what we'd go for, just initially seemed like there was. Anyway, I just love talking about pinball :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Judge Dredd should be safe. I'd say there'd be some licensing involved, but it would fall under the same umbrella as titles like both Elviras, BSD and Starship Troopers: It'd be cheap enough license that it's really not a thing. I believe each month they have kind of a budget to go for a license if it's required (such as the music in Getaway and Road Show, a single actor's likeness like BSD) so only the biggest licenses wouldn't fall under that umbrella.

At a guess:
The Shadow (Alec Baldwin could be tricky, may need a KS)
World Cup USA '94 (FIFA/World Cup licensing could be touchy)
Newish Sterns (I don't think we're far off from seeing Transformers, Spidey and the like in TPA, I don't think)
Jurassic Park
Guns n Roses (I think this could cover a KS easily. Maybe bundle it with something less likely to generate fanfare)
Dr. Who
Johnny Mnemonic
WWF Royal Rumble
Demolition Man

I was partially baiting, but more for the interest of instigating discussion. I love talking about all this stuff! I'll just edit your quote because I'm lazy:

So maybe there's not too much difference in what we'd go for, just initially seemed like there was. Anyway, I just love talking about pinball :)

I LOVE talking pinball, so I'm glad you elaborated!

I have heard a lot of bitching about TWD, but I didn't experience the SDTM issues everyone talks about. However, I'm not an amazing location player, and my drains were outlane drains. Fuck outlanes.

Southpark is one that I'd like to play again if it were minty. The one I played was bad and had no sound, so the experience was completely devoid of fun for me.

Played more location pinball tonight! I'm in Orlando for a work conference, and the hotel next door has a Star Trek Pro and an Avengers Pro at 2 tokens a play. After putting 6 games on Avengers and 3 on ST, I have some MORE pinball musings!

Star Trek Pro is a fun game. I think anyone who sees one should play one. After playing it, I realized I could have skipped the Premium and gone Pro when I had Star Trek. The game is basically the same thing. I like the plastic ramps, too. I played one game just shooting shots and treating it like a home game.

Completed 5 modes for level 1, but my outlane drains took me down. My second game was played with timing out modes to play KM multiball (first mini wizard). The free game score is set SUPER low, so just starting this mode basically guarantees a free game, ha. This is the game I managed to also start Klingon Battle multiball and Vengeance multiball. You learn quickly that when you're playing on location, it's scary to shoot dangerous shots (like the Vengeance, locks, etc).

My third game was played similarly to the first. Just sort of did my thing. I need to learn to jiggle balls out of the outlanes. Losing balls down the middle SUCKS, but outlanes are even worse.

Overall, the game was in great condition. The Away Team shot light was out, but as I've played this title extensively, I was able to make use of that to start modes. I prefer this way over the left lock shot since it's safer IMHO. I had to power the game down at one point because the trough didn't detect my ball draining. So I tried to tilt and get the game to give me my next ball, but it didn't...Thankfully I know how pinball machines work, haha.

Avengers Pro is a game that I REALLY think deserves a second look. First, condition wise, the location game was...Not great. I mean, it was OK, but the Hulk drops didn't work, some lights were out, and the left flipper would stick every once in a while. To be honest, it didn't make the game unplayable (except I don't know how to start Hulk, so it COULD make it unwinnable...).

Let's talk for a moment about this game. I think that poor players will HATE this game. Like despise it on every single level. Good+ players will make a much better assessment of the game...May still hate it, not as much as a poor player would. Since I have improved a lot from my real introduction to pinball, I can appreciate this game more than I could have even just a few months back when I played it at a friend's place. However...

I like this game enough to say I would honestly consider owning one for ~$2k. I wouldn't touch it for $3k like it goes for, but if one showed up for $2000 within a 2 hour drive, I'd consider it. It is a game that requires you to have pinpoint accuracy. It also requires you to have some pretty decent ball control. The modes, once you start them, aren't the worst thing in the world. I'm nearly positive you can carry modes into one another...I was working on Captain America and was getting Black Widow and Iron Man modes closer to starting.

But let's talk about the bullshit on this game.

Hulk arms will cause ball sticking issues regularly. Like, in my 6 games, it happened 4 times. Ball search releases it, which is fine, but it's a design flaw in every sense of the word. Also, my comment on pinpoint accuracy being a pro? It's also a major con. The Black Widow ramp is SUPER weird...A sharp 90 degree turn with a spinner on an upward metal ramp? Airball airball airball. Not a perfect shot? Ball stops halfway up the ramp and comes down.

The required accuracy of the player is so obscene that it actually wore me down after my 6 games to the point where I had to walk away and decide to come back tomorrow. I would LOVE to play a really dialed in one. I want to see a great player score on it, too. I feel very strongly that this game could be a lot of fun if I were a master marksman, ha. The fact of the matter is, the shots are a bit TOO tight. Maybe my goal should be to get good enough where I can walk up to a game like Avengers and combo my way to Hellicarrier. ;P

But quite frankly, pinball is pinball. Location pinball is always fun and can't be beat.

On the topic of Pinball Arcade, I had a pretty good game of High Speed on the plane. I think I write tables off that I don't know the rules on. Now that I'm understanding the way to play this game, it's more fun. I'll be putting more games on this for sure. I also understand how to play TAF now, and was one shot from touring the mansion. Of course I drained, but if you prioritize windows, you can tour the mansion relatively quickly in TAF. Like I said above, now that I understand the game, I am finding it a lot more enjoyable.

Teppic

Bought season 1 on PS4 and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Took me a while to realise how I could change the camera. Using the third zoomed out option unlocked for regular camera and third zoomed out locked for multiball.

The lighting is great. Playing with the dark room setting. It enhances the experience twofold.

Shaneus

On the topic of Pinball Arcade, I had a pretty good game of High Speed on the plane. I think I write tables off that I don't know the rules on. Now that I'm understanding the way to play this game, it's more fun. I'll be putting more games on this for sure. I also understand how to play TAF now, and was one shot from touring the mansion. Of course I drained, but if you prioritize windows, you can tour the mansion relatively quickly in TAF. Like I said above, now that I understand the game, I am finding it a lot more enjoyable.
High Speed isn't something that takes a heck of a lot of rules knowledge, IRL it's much, much more about ball control. But yeah, once you get it... it's a hell of a lot of fun and IMO, more fun than Getaway (despite it's lack of depth).

BTW Make sure y'all check out the PAPA 18 finals, it's a bit quick but it's still great to watch. Starts about 2/3 through the most recent stream on their twitch channel. Best to watch it before podcasts start popping up with interviews with the winner and discussing it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bought season 1 on PS4 and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Took me a while to realise how I could change the camera. Using the third zoomed out option unlocked for regular camera and third zoomed out locked for multiball.

The lighting is great. Playing with the dark room setting. It enhances the experience twofold.

Speaking of great lighting... I don't think this youtube video of Zaccaria Pinball's lighting on iOS has been linked when it was brought up earlier. Better than TPA on PS4? Close call maybe? Impressive for sure, more so when you consider how much more you can tweak all the lighting settings as well.

Pretty wild to wonder if that's iOS what they could do on a PC or PS4 as well. Maybe something that approaches Timeschock! quality but real time 3D instead of pre-rendered 2D.

Shaneus

Speaking of great lighting... I don't think this youtube video of Zaccaria Pinball's lighting on iOS has been linked when it was brought up earlier. Better than TPA on PS4? Close call maybe? Impressive for sure, more so when you consider how much more you can tweak all the lighting settings as well.

Pretty wild to wonder if that's iOS what they could do on a PC or PS4 as well. Maybe something that approaches Timeschock! quality but real time 3D instead of pre-rendered 2D.
Someone posted this elsewhere on PAF, but these settings are amazing for the latest version of Zaccaria on both iOS and Android. Someone else suggested bumping up the bumper and flipper force to around 70%, which makes it play a bit quicker. But it feels miles better than TPA on the same device, and blows it out of the water visually.

Edit: This is a new video of some lighting effects and tricks coming up on iOS. You can see the lighting even on the flippers casting shadows and such. We don't even have that lighting in TPA on PC yet, but somehow a company far smaller than FS can pull it off on a mobile device with better physics as well!

vg260

Edit: This is a new video of some lighting effects and tricks coming up on iOS. You can see the lighting even on the flippers casting shadows and such. We don't even have that lighting in TPA on PC yet, but somehow a company far smaller than FS can pull it off on a mobile device with better physics as well!

I'm guessing it's because they're spread so thin on a million different platforms. Anything other than releasing a new table takes ages. Still waiting for the promised PC DX11 and the UI overhaul from over a year ago(?). I lost track.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Coming to PS4 tomorrow:
Hey awesome backers!
We are very proud to announce that The Addams Family® along with the rest of season four will be released in the US tomorrow March 17th! SCEE regions should be released by the end of the month if everything goes according to plan.
Unfortunately, we are not able to get the codes before the game is released and in the past it has taken up to 3 weeks to receive them from Sony. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we will be distributing the codes as soon as they arrive!
Thank all of you for your tremendous support and for making this possible!
...but not for backers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think it's partially out of their control but it's hilarious how badly the KS backers wind up getting treated. Like you'd need some serious perks to compensate for all that waiting, especially for the superfans.

TPA has sort of run its course for me anyway -- and mission accomplished, getting me back into real pinball. It's hard to go back to TPA tbh, even though it is still one of the better digital implementations.

Shaneus

I think it's partially out of their control but it's hilarious how badly the KS backers wind up getting treated. Like you'd need some serious perks to compensate for all that waiting, especially for the superfans.

TPA has sort of run its course for me anyway -- and mission accomplished, getting me back into real pinball. It's hard to go back to TPA tbh, even though it is still one of the better digital implementations.
Yeah, it's really quite shit. We get access on PC and iOS without issue (I did, anyway) but there's really little incentive to back a KS if your sole platforms are via Playstation or Xbox, because you'll surely get dicked.

And I agree about going back to it... with no current season available on iOS (not their fault, but still... not going to buy individual tables only to get the season later) and barely playing it on PC (lack of DX11 doesn't help) there's really not all that much joy in me playing it anymore. And with Zaccaria having incredibly solid physics (and lighting) on iOS (plus the Atomic Pinball Collection *and* Timeshock, which I urge everyone to try) there's little incentive to play the slightly floaty, flat-looking titles on any platform.

I've seen it coming for a while, but whilst it would've been quite relatively easy for Farsight to keep ahead of the pack, barely just releasing tables and doing little else has caused them to fall considerably behind IMO. But hey, lets chuck another few more platforms into the fray! Won't impact further development at all! /sarcasm

NoEx on PAF has posted the first screenshots of a camera mod he's gonna release.
Should be a big step in the right direction for Cab players and Portrait players alike
It allows to position the camera however you like.

Here's link and screens cap.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/9804-PBA-Free-Camera-Mod
Fucking AWESOME! Was hoping that would come out, but people were wary that FS would kick up a stink. If someone could easily make a VR mod for it without legal hassle, a free camera mod shouldn't be any different. Hopefully there's a way something kinda similar can be done on mobile, too.

I'm guessing it's because they're spread so thin on a million different platforms. Anything other than releasing a new table takes ages. Still waiting for the promised PC DX11 and the UI overhaul from over a year ago(?). I lost track.
Absolutely no idea what happened to the new UI we were going to get... apparently they hired a new UI guy over a year ago to implement it, but we never saw it. The UI on every platform is simply atrocious, even the one on Zaccaria is far better (and I'm sure they have a significantly smaller staff).
As for DX11, it's apparently going to make it into this week's release with Cyclone. I don't know if the PC beta users have it yet, but as far as I know they've been saying we'd see it shortly after TAF. Fingers crossed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Zaccaria Pinball is neat, but I don't think I'll buy it. I can't seem to find a camera angle I like.

Also, got the wife to OK the purchase of the LOTR! :3

Shaneus

Zaccaria Pinball is neat, but I don't think I'll buy it. I can't seem to find a camera angle I like.

Also, got the wife to OK the purchase of the LOTR! :3
It has a 100% customisable camera mode. Free camera.

You'd be surprised how much fun that game is. Enjoying it far more than TPA.

Shaneus

Do you have to buy something to get camera controls?
Oh maybe, yeah. You can buy that on it's own, or pony up the $25 or whatever for the "gold" package, which gets you all tables (they have 29 now) and all customisation features (like lighting, physics and camera).

If you've just shelled out ~$4k for a new machine, you can hardly justify not spending a few dollars on an iOS app :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
I got four PS4 codes from the Kickstarter page but they report they are invalid or incorrect.

Which do you think it is? :( Just not active yet?

Top Bottom