• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Nyx

Oh and I hate the Black Hole table with a passion.

My best score is 200k or something, can't seem to get higher.
And oh boy do I hate that soundloop....

Shaneus

Yeah, I just had a look at the list and it's definitely not there. I find it hard to believe that something like Postal 2 gets approved but Pinball Arcade doesn't?

Cardigan

If the number of comments can be used as a metric for a game's popularitty, Pinball Arcade doesn't really come close to any of the games that were just Greenlit.

Minsc

Gold Member
If the number of comments can be used as a metric for a game's popularitty, Pinball Arcade doesn't really come close to any of the games that were just Greenlit.

1300 backers for Pro Pinball (and that's on more than just PC too) says, yeah, it's a pretty small genre; versus like 70,000 for Project Eternity. If it's solely a popularity contest, it may be a long, long time before it gets through Steam's Greenlight process. Hopefully by 2014! :(

Shaneus

So what was the 82% number they were talking about? I don't recall us ever getting an actual explanation as to the significance of it.

And I'd hope it gets greenlit and published soon for Steam. There'll be a lot of pissed people (myself included) if they can't get their Kickstarted tables on PC as advertised. Almost have to wonder what Farsight would've done if Steam Greenlight never came to be.

AcridMeat

Banned
And I'd hope it gets greenlit and published soon for Steam. There'll be a lot of pissed people (myself included) if they can't get their Kickstarted tables on PC as advertised. Almost have to wonder what Farsight would've done if Steam Greenlight never came to be.
This is what I want to know. The PC platform was chosen before greenlight was a thing. Why did they submit it to greenlight? Just because it's the cheaper indie way? Just boggles my mind that it isn't on steam regularly.

I hate myself so I searched the steam store for 'pinball.'

9 results, amongst them
9I8VR.png

What a dire situation :(

microtubule

You should have added 3D to the search

Anyways, PA has 550+ comments on their Greenlight page. Not that it means anything but it just seems like a high number for a majority of comments asking why the game isn't on Steam. It's too bad no game journalists have looked into this but oh well maybe next round.

Shaneus

I suppose that's a good thing, though... that people are actually aware of Greenlight's existence for it. I know some folks were concerned that it might be a bit over the top of people's heads to get on there and vote/comment, but it appears not.

Monster Bash may look like Medieval Madness on the surface, but I can't play it like MM at all. MB feels a lot more chaotic, which makes it more difficult to score consistently, but some of that is probably just due to inexperience with the table.

Shaneus

Monster Bash may look like Medieval Madness on the surface, but I can't play it like MM at all. MB feels a lot more chaotic, which makes it more difficult to score consistently, but some of that is probably just due to inexperience with the table.
Well, they play differently (as far as targets and locations/angles of ramps go) but the structure is largely identical (as are far too many DMD games) IMO. Hit this ramp 5 times. Then hit these targets. Then hit the big, mechanical object in the middle to advance the game. Hit the side targets to score a random bonus (ie. bazaar/Merlin's Magic/the MB scoop).

Thankfully AC/DC has tackled that with the different jukebox game modes so there's some variation and it's not just the same thing. In fact, aside from the fact that it still feels kinda cheap for some reason (the build quality of older Williams/Bally tables just isn't there) I think I like it more than the majority of the 90s DMD tables (there are exceptions, obv).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry, dp

I guess the PS3 version is supposed to run better in 720p mode? How do you set that?
Saw you were on while I was playing earlier. I cried for my Gorgar high score. Until you came along, I had the high score on that one among my PSN contacts. :)

Anyway, you go to DIsplay Settings on the XMB (second column from left) and reconfigure your display for only 720p even if your TV supports higher.

Anyway, you go to DIsplay Settings on the XMB (second column from left) and reconfigure your display for only 720p even if your TV supports higher.

Okay, thanks. I think it's more responsive in 720p mode.

Edit: I'm liking Creature from the Black Lagoon so far. It controls well.

Okay, thanks. I think it's more responsive in 720p mode.

Edit: I'm liking Creature from the Black Lagoon so far. It controls well.

it's one of my favorite tables IRL. it's really getting difficult to hold out and not buy the PS3 table pack with it in as I wait for the PC version to turn up, or for strong confirmation of TPA being next month on Wii U. there not being a demo of that piece of DLC is actually helping me not pull the trigger.

edit: also

"This just in! Unfortunately, the PSVita patch that enables the download of table pack 5 and 6 failed SCEA’s approval due to a library update. The issue has been fixed and re-submitted. Unfortunately we will be delaying the release of those two packs in North America. At Sony’s suggestion (because of cross-platform entitlements), we are delaying the PS3 update until we can release the Vita version as well. We will keep you posted and announce new release dates when we get them."

is anyone surprised at this point?

I've been playing Creature from the Black Lagoon for less than a day, and I've already had the ball fall in slow motion through the base of the right flipper and into the drain 3 times. Good shit Farsight.

Edit: Come the fuck on. The very next game after I made that post, I was in multiball, had a ball trapped on the left flipper, and was ready to trap the other ball on the right flipper as it came down the inlane. It went right through my raised right flipper and into the center drain. I post-passed the remaining ball to the right, and it also went through the right flipper. Both balls gone.

I think that Farsight should take a break before releasing Twilight Zone and focus for a month or two on fixing bugs, remaking the menus and bringing the DLC already completed to all platforms/regions.

Then they can have a big relaunch with a simultaneous release of Twilight Zone on all platforms.

As it is now it feels like they just get more things that needs fixing with every DLC and platform they release and they'll never catch up.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Then they can have a big relaunch with a simultaneous release of Twilight Zone on all platforms.
Frankly, given what they've said about the hurdles on XBL, I wouldn't be surprised to see a PA2 in Spring 2013 or so. Looks like the only way to get decent terms for patching.

Frankly, given what they've said about the hurdles on XBL, I wouldn't be surprised to see a PA2 in Spring 2013 or so. Looks like the only way to get decent terms for patching.

As long as they can let people download tables they already own for free like Zen Pinball 2, it could be a good way to work around various rules and regulations regarding patches and DLC.

jvm

Gamasutra.
As long as they can let people download tables they already own for free like Zen Pinball 2, it could be a good way to work around various rules and regulations regarding patches and DLC.
Agreed. Allowing me to move all my Zen tables moved over to Zen 2 was a classy move.

Wehrwolf

Edit: Finally got the last standard goal that's been eluding me: That darn 250k lower level bonus from Black Hole. Isn't near as bad as I thought it would be actually. I thought you had to increase the amount shown for lower level bonus to 250k, but 50k+ with the x5 multiplier at the end of the ball counting is far more managable.

Now to aim for the wizard goals that I haven't completed.

Cardigan

Here's a little something to excite you: OSX now has Elvira and the Party Monsters and No Good Gofers!! Not only that, but a double helping of good news: last checked, we are at 92% on Steam Greenlight!!! Have a great week!

92%, making night moves! I feel like I'm just hyping myself up to be later let down by how FarSight handles the PC version. Gotta keep them expectations low.

Minsc

Gold Member
92%, making night moves! I feel like I'm just hyping myself up to be later let down by how FarSight handles the PC version. Gotta keep them expectations low.

The catch is we don't know what 100% means, or if that's even the top! Or at least I don't know yet... could be hundreds of games hit 100% in under a few days, and only a handful of those make it through... I'm not getting my hopes up over a 4-10% increase over the span of a month anyway (it was at 80-something last month), as much as I'd love for it to make it through.

Shaneus

Yeah, I wish they would actually say what that percentage means. Otherwise, it's meaningless.

Also, still curious about what their plans would've been for PC if Greenlight didn't exist in the first place.

i'm supposed to know what version of The Twilight Zone I want already and tell them now. eurgh. i don't know Farsight! when is the PC version coming out? when is the Wii U version coming out? argh.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe if enough people tell them they want the PC version for TZ + TNG they'll find another solution (hopefully not GFWL!) besides Steam.

Maybe if enough people tell them they want the PC version for TZ + TNG they'll find another solution (hopefully not GFWL!) besides Steam.

i don't know which version i want yet though, because it all ties into release dates. that's what's annoying. i already have the 360 and PS3 basegames. i guess PC is the safest bet, it's just... who knows when we're going to see it. having the tablet option on Wii U would be cool, and it sounds like compliance won't be a big issue there.

i'd actually kind of like them to go Microsoft Store, since i'm getting a Surface RT... but that doesn't look to be in the cards.

Wait, I'm supposed to tell them which TZ table I need? Where and how?

I got an e-mail from Kickstarter yesterday.

FarSight Studios says:
Please send us a message telling us which device you want your free game to be on.
To reply to this message, follow this link:

i snipped out the link, just incase it is specific to my account in some way. clicking on it opens up a message box on Kickstarter (rather than a multiple choice drop down or radio boxes).

i was one of the first backers though, so they might be doing these in order.

blurrygil

"This just in! Unfortunately, the PSVita patch that enables the download of table pack 5 and 6 failed SCEA’s approval due to a library update. The issue has been fixed and re-submitted. Unfortunately we will be delaying the release of those two packs in North America. At Sony’s suggestion (because of cross-platform entitlements), we are delaying the PS3 update until we can release the Vita version as well. We will keep you posted and announce new release dates when we get them."

is anyone surprised at this point?

Which tables are in these packs? Harley one of them?

And btw: I still love this game. It's seriously the ONLY game I ever play on my Vita. I just wish they would fix the Camera 2 slowdown for MM. :(

Which tables are in these packs? Harley one of them?

And btw: I still love this game. It's seriously the ONLY game I ever play on my Vita. I just wish they would fix the Camera 2 slowdown for MM. :(

Yes. Pack 5 is Harley + Taxi, Pack 6 is elvira + no good goffers.

I love it on my vita too. Played harley on the ipad, has to be one of the more ugly tables I've seen.

I've played a total of two games of Black Knight on PS3. On this second game, the ball won't go into the ball lock because something (probably the previous ball) is blocking it. Come the fuck on, Farsight. Test this stuff before you release it.

Wehrwolf

No, I'm pretty sure going up in numbers is a good thing; getting 92% is better than 1% (well, as sure as you can be about a number that they refuse to tell anyone what it actually means)

Top Bottom