• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Ah, but they're not 92%, though. They're #92 on the list of games to be greenlit by Steam/Valve. If you think about the number of games ahead of it, that's not real great... but think about how many games are actually on Greenlight. They've actually done alright in that respect.

Wehrwolf

Yep, my apologies. I had seen their original announcement that said they were at 92% but not their updated statement that they meant #92.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ah, but they're not 92%, though. They're #92 on the list of games to be greenlit by Steam/Valve. If you think about the number of games ahead of it, that's not real great... but think about how many games are actually on Greenlight. They've actually done alright in that respect.

So 5 months then, at 20 games a month, if no games between now an then are submitted that have the ability to get numerous votes quickly? Realistically then, maybe 9 months, because I don't see it unreasonable for that type of thing to occur. That puts us sometime between March-Aug 2013 for a Steam release unless we get really lucky and Valve picks releases randomly. I'm not terribly confident TZ is going to release next month, but who knows, they are asking people to pick the platform they'd like.

So 5 months then, at 20 games a month, if no games between now an then are submitted that have the ability to get numerous votes quickly? Realistically then, maybe 9 months, because I don't see it unreasonable for that type of thing to occur. That puts us sometime between March-Aug 2013 for a Steam release unless we get really lucky and Valve picks releases randomly. I'm not terribly confident TZ is going to release next month, but who knows, they are asking people to pick the platform they'd like.
given that i could write them a message instead of just doing a survey, i think i said something like Wii U or PC... whichever actually comes out.

Is there official word on Wii U PA? Got my email yesterday to tell them which two versions of the TZ pin I want, but it seems it hasn't hit everyone yet. Also, what the hell is with the delay on Gorgar/CfTBL on X360? Don't make me keep buying the PSN versions, damn it, FS! Not a fan of switching to 720p all of the time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, what the hell is with the delay on Gorgar/CfTBL on X360? Don't make me keep buying the PSN versions, damn it, FS! Not a fan of switching to 720p all of the time.

My guess is FarSight can't afford to release DLC on the 360 more than a few times a year now, seeing how "Microsoft is the only 1st party who charges for each game patch (even if the purpose of the patch is to add additional DLC that will make money for them). That means we have no choice but to wait and submit several table packs in the same patch."

My guess is FarSight can't afford to release DLC on the 360 more than a few times a year now, seeing how "Microsoft is the only 1st party who charges for each game patch (even if the purpose of the patch is to add additional DLC that will make money for them). That means we have no choice but to wait and submit several table packs in the same patch."

Ugh. Screw MS for stupid patch/update policies and screw FS for just being so unreliable about their ongoing support for PA!!1 I just read that PSN might get yet another DLC pack next week, too. They really just bit off way too much at one time, supporting as many platforms as they are without, seemingly, any real concern for how they could keep it going over time. Get yer shit together, FS!

Minsc

Gold Member
Ugh. Screw MS for stupid patch/update policies and screw FS for just being so unreliable about their ongoing support for PA!!1 I just read that PSN might get yet another DLC pack next week, too. They really just bit off way too much at one time, supporting as many platforms as they are without, seemingly, any real concern for how they could keep it going over time. Get yer shit together, FS!

Well, generally speaking, I can understand arguments over bugs for them supporting too many platforms, but an argument over "how they can keep it going over time" really has nothing to do with how many platforms they support and pretty much only the platform itself.

Them releasing DLC on the 360 would cost them the same and have the same delays for certification approval regardless of the other platforms they are supporting or if the 360 was the only platform they released on. If anything, supporting additional platforms to generate more money (by having little to no fees associated to them) to pay the fees for releasing DLC on the 360 will actually help it keep going for a longer time I think. :)

I was kinda speaking in the broader sense of PA, where they seemed to have been lagging behind in bugfixing and general upkeep for all of the versions they have chosen to release. It just feels like one platform suffers unnecessarily because of others, even if it's just a case of platform-specific process that allows some platforms to have two or more released packs of tables months ahead of others. I do appreciate the fact that the mobile versions do help that small outfit support the home editions...even if I feel that those should be leading the charge. In general, I'm just annoyed at the amount of lag between table releases and the still mildly-crippled state of the PSN version which I begrudgingly support because I have no other options on the non-handheld or console front if I want to play newer releases sooner rather than later.

Minsc

Gold Member
I was kinda speaking in the broader sense of PA, where they seemed to have been lagging behind in bugfixing and general upkeep for all of the versions they have chosen to release. It just feels like one platform suffers unnecessarily because of others, even if it's just a case of platform-specific process that allows some platforms to have two or more released packs of tables months ahead of others. I do appreciate the fact that the mobile versions do help that small outfit support the home editions...even if I feel that those should be leading the charge. In general, I'm just annoyed at the amount of lag between table releases and the still mildly-crippled state of the PSN version which I begrudgingly support because I have no other options on the non-handheld or console front if I want to play newer releases sooner rather than later.

I definitely agree with that (they still haven't fixed the camera angles for the iPhone 5 for example, so it's basically entirely unplayable) and think we've had ample time now for them to show us one way or the other how they are juggling QA and bug testing for what they are doing, and they are completely overwhelmed, because really basic things are messing up that shouldn't be missed. They keep saying things will change, but it hasn't yet. I hope they get it together of course, and can eventually overcome their problems, there's always TPA2 I suppose.

vg260

Perhaps they need to shelve DLC for a month or two, and work on general program fixes. Then again, it could be separate groups of staff. I guess there might be people who only work on digitizing tables.

Nuklear

Banned
I wish they would change the Vita version so you can use buttons(X and O) in portrait mode. Using the screen for flippers is annoying as hell for me. It's the reason why I don't play the game on my Galaxy S3. Plus the back touch screen as a nudge is so annoying because I accidentally touch it all the time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does the game upload scores you made in offline mode when you go online again (PS3 version)? I have game running I'd rather not have on the leaderboards, but I still want to finish it.

Shaneus

New PA is up for iOS, with Scared Stiff and... something else. Big Shot. And a "pro" menu for TotAN, whatever that is.

Hopefully some bugfixes too.

Edit: Pro mode "gives you access to the table operator's menu (including many emulation options and features), Ball Control Mode, Table View and exclusive IFPA pro tips". $4.49 here in Australia.

Is this a new kind of gouging we might be seeing with all these tables? I sure as hell hope not. Not even an option to try them out :/

Cardigan

Is this a new kind of gouging we might be seeing with all these tables? I sure as hell hope not. Not even an option to try them out :/

Considering the game isn't yet profitable, they're probably just trying to get some easy cash. I haven't bought any new tables in about two months and I don't plan on doing so until definite information about the PC version is released.

Shaneus

Thing is, I'd happily pay a buck to get those extra features (depending on what they are) but considering I bought that table when the platform first came out, it seems quite rich that they're asking the same price again for an extra feature (that may or may not be worth it).

About the only thing that would get me to buy it (if it really does contain a dev-like menu) is something to drop the detail so it'd play at 60fps on the 4S.

Oh, and camera mode should be included with all tables, not just if you spend $4.50 on an extra.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thing is, I'd happily pay a buck to get those extra features (depending on what they are) but considering I bought that table when the platform first came out, it seems quite rich that they're asking the same price again for an extra feature (that may or may not be worth it).

About the only thing that would get me to buy it (if it really does contain a dev-like menu) is something to drop the detail so it'd play at 60fps on the 4S.

Oh, and camera mode should be included with all tables, not just if you spend $4.50 on an extra.

I don't think the pricing is that bad when you compare to what people paid for it on the Kickstarter (what was it like $25 there?) I think people who spent $25-50 for the op menu on Kickstarter might be a little upset to see it sold for $1...

Edit: I see on the pinballarcadefans forums, they said it originally was going to be way more than $4 or $5 too, if it weren't for a lot of complaining from beta testers.

bndadm

I found out about this game from a recent Giant Bomb quicklook I just watched and, by reading the comments, I have read some glitches/faults with the PS3 version.

As PS3 version is the one with the most content (non-phone related) at this time it seems, I was wondering if someone could tell me what makes the PS3 version gimped? If I'm looking to just experience as many tables as possible, would it be my best choice right now?

I found out about this game from a recent Giant Bomb quicklook I just watched and, by reading the comments, I have read some glitches/faults with the PS3 version.

As PS3 version is the one with the most content (non-phone related) at this time it seems, I was wondering if someone could tell me what makes the PS3 version gimped? If I'm looking to just experience as many tables as possible, would it be my best choice right now?

Farsight is an awful developer that can't get its shit right across multiple devices. Each platform version seems to be built around different technologies or at least different code base because ALL versions have some very weird glitches.

Probably the best platform is iOS since it's got the biggest userbase and will be better supported due to this. With that said, on consoles, PS3/Vita is the best option. The game and DLC is cross buy so any table you buy in your PS3 is also available on your Vita. I'm not a hardcore fan so the minor glitches don't really bother me.

Shaneus

I don't think the pricing is that bad when you compare to what people paid for it on the Kickstarter (what was it like $25 there?) I think people who spent $25-50 for the op menu on Kickstarter might be a little upset to see it sold for $1...

Edit: I see on the pinballarcadefans forums, they said it originally was going to be way more than $4 or $5 too, if it weren't for a lot of complaining from beta testers.
Have they mentioned exactly what some of the modes are for? Given TotAN is one of my regular tables, I'd happily pay but simply saying something about adjusting emulation is pretty vague.

But on that note, though, I'm pretty happy with how the current version runs. I have a feeling it might be running at a better framerate than before (on all tables, not just the updated ones) but I couldn't be sure. Unless there's a way of finding out framerates somehow.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So, yeah, since I put in $100, I think I get every version of TZ. Not positive, but I don't really care. In for a penny, in for a pound.

microtubule

Spotted this in the latest official Pinball Arcade Newsletter for October 2012:

XBox 360 Update

FarSight offers its apologies for the delays in releasing additional content for the Xbox 360 of Pinball Arcade. We want to assure 360 players that these delays are temporary and we fully intend to continue supporting this console. The issues are not the fault of Microsoft nor are they due to the title update procedure.

The 360 is the only platform that we cannot publish on directly. Selling digital content requires a current Publishing License Agreement (PLA) with Microsoft to release games. We are working through complications regarding our publisher Crave Entertainment filing bankruptcy.

At this moment, we are not able to submit new content. However, we expect to start rolling out the updates shortly and catch the Table Pack releases on 360 up to the other platforms within a few months.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/conten...rding-DLC-Table-Pack-Releases-For-XBOX-360!!!

and no update on the PC front except this snippet:

PC - We are at #92 on Steam Greenlight! We need to get to the top 20 to be published! Please vote for us at:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95907686

I can't understand how getting onto Steam can be a problem for a game like this?

Is there some kind of fee they want to avoid by taking the Greenlight route?

They have a game that is already available on most other hardware and they are the only current pinball game that is recreating real (and popular) pinball machines. It feels weird that Valve would say no for some reason when you look at some of the other stuff that makes it to Steam.

Shaneus

No publisher, and they said in an email that the publisher that WAS with them and helping them to get stuff on 360 (Crave) went bankrupt or something. The 360 was the only platform they needed to have a publisher on (PS3/Vita, Android and iOS all fine) and I guess not having them around prevent them releasing on PC until Steam Greenlight came around.

Soup Bar

I hope they can find a new publisher because my pc and phone aren't good enough to play Pinball Arcade. I don't understand why they need a publisher to release DLC.

vazel

Banned
Spotted this in the latest official Pinball Arcade Newsletter for October 2012:

and no update on the PC front except this snippet:
That's terrible. Maybe Valve is right about nobody being interested in pinball games on Steam if the most preeminent pinball game to date can't make it to the top 20 in Greenlight. It's sad, I thought PC gamers would come through here.

Shaneus

Interesting:
Malta video game distribution company Fillpoint files for bankruptcy
The Business Review
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 6:47am EDT - Last Modified: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 6:51am EDT

Fillpoint LLC, a video game distribution company, filed for bankruptcy this week, the Times Union is reporting. The company has 20 employees.

The Times Union reports the bankruptcy filing comes three years after Fillpoint acquired a California video game distribution company, SVG Distribution, and video game publishing company, Crave Entertainment Group, in an $8 million deal.
No publisher must've really hurt them. I'm a little surprised that there are no other multi-format publishers that have picked them up (or at least, shown interest).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's terrible. Maybe Valve is right about nobody being interested in pinball games on Steam if the most preeminent pinball game to date can't make it to the top 20 in Greenlight. It's sad, I thought PC gamers would come through here.

I kinda felt that Pinball Arcade had a low key launch; not sure how much real awareness of it there is out there.

It still needs a better interface, the planned online functions and the planned modes. The thing is, with the catalog of tables that are in it now, it's a much more interesting package with more content to advertise. Once Twilight Zone and TNG are out, there will be some big name properties to build a marketing pitch around: I've felt Zen's pinball product has had more luck being noticed due to the tie-in of names like Marvel Comics.

Kinda feels like a formal re-launch is in order for the brand. Maybe it could go in-hand with a refresh for interface and presentation.

Shaneus

I kinda felt that Pinball Arcade had a low key launch; not sure how much real awareness of it there is out there.

It still needs a better interface, the planned online functions and the planned modes. The thing is, with the catalog of tables that are in it now, it's a much more interesting package with more content to advertise. Once Twilight Zone and TNG are out, there will be some big name properties to build a marketing pitch around: I've felt Zen's pinball product has had more luck being noticed due to the tie-in of names like Marvel Comics.

Kinda feels like a formal re-launch is in order for the brand. Maybe it could go in-hand with a refresh for interface and presentation.
That... would actually be a really, really good idea. But yeah, they seriously need an overhaul of the UI and general aesthetic. They also need to get some good, dark lighting happening for iOS so it doesn't look so damn flat compared to the 360.

That... would actually be a really, really good idea. But yeah, they seriously need an overhaul of the UI and general aesthetic. They also need to get some good, dark lighting happening for iOS so it doesn't look so damn flat compared to the 360.

But I like the colors!

Shaneus

But I like the colors!
I don't mind em, but they remind me of a really brightly lit arcade. I want a dingy arcade with the smell of cigarette smoke and illumination only from a few neon signs and a small light above the change window.

Ignoring the music of the first one, which looks more exciting, this or this?
(it's not a loaded question BTW, more an example that there can be more than one preference. And that one preference clearly looks better than the other ;) )

PS. That's why I fucking want Firepower on TPA. That background energy generator-y sound that keeps ramping up and getting higher in tone and speed as you play, building the pressure... when a game can increase the tension by that alone (and not having to count on DMD effects and a bazillion voice samples) then you know you have a well designed, innovative machine.

Fucking love Firepower.

did Zen need a publisher to get FX 2 on the Windows 8 app store? I wonder if TPA could at least go that route. Maybe I just want this on the surface too much though ;)

Wonko_C

I don't mind em, but they remind me of a really brightly lit arcade. I want a dingy arcade with the smell of cigarette smoke and illumination only from a few neon signs and a small light above the change window.

Ignoring the music of the first one, which looks more exciting, this or this?
(it's not a loaded question BTW, more an example that there can be more than one preference. And that one preference clearly looks better than the other ;) )

PS. That's why I fucking want Firepower on TPA. That background energy generator-y sound that keeps ramping up and getting higher in tone and speed as you play, building the pressure... when a game can increase the tension by that alone (and not having to count on DMD effects and a bazillion voice samples) then you know you have a well designed, innovative machine.

Fucking love Firepower.

The lightning show in the dark video is exactly what I'd love to see in TPA and is something Zen2 emulates to a degree. If Black Hole is in a dark room the table lights should be loud and blinding.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'd still pay cash monies for Farsight to, if nothing else, just port the dang arcade environment from the Williams Collection and give you the ability to place owned tables where you like.

Shaneus

I wish, I really wish that they'd just hold off on releasing tables for a month or two. Make their next release the one with Twilight Zone in it, but until then just work on making everything about the game flawless (including the upcoming TZ one). As it is right now, the current menu system is really inefficient for the number of tables that are included, so I don't think people will be disappointed by the lack of choice if an update means they can choose tables easier (amongst other things).

I honestly love what they're trying to do, but I hate the way they're doing it :(

I wish, I really wish that they'd just hold off on releasing tables for a month or two. Make their next release the one with Twilight Zone in it, but until then just work on making everything about the game flawless (including the upcoming TZ one). As it is right now, the current menu system is really inefficient for the number of tables that are included, so I don't think people will be disappointed by the lack of choice if an update means they can choose tables easier (amongst other things).

I honestly love what they're trying to do, but I hate the way they're doing it :(

I love what they're trying to do. I just wish they could afford better QA.

Sounds like the new PS3 tables are kind of whack right now. I'll wait.

Yep, glitches and even more noticeable flipper lag in No Good Gofers even in 720p, unless I'm just imagining things, but the lack of more advanced lighting scheme makes it look like total dogshit. Elvira looks kinda drab, too. Hate feeling compelled to buy these damned PS3 versions, honestly, but I just can't help myself. How they could keep screwing up releases like this I have no fucking idea. FarSight is just so reliable at screwing up. For example, they just updated their Star Trek Next Generation KS project to let people know that the Twilight Zone KS project table is coming along swimmingly with a cool time-lapse video of two staff members moving tables around in their room before they disassemble them for digital replication or digitization process by artists. Like I said...reliable. Oh well, here's to them getting things right sometime, somewhere...soon, I hope.

Shaneus

They've also uploaded a video of the progress on ST:TNG, but it appears to be a backer-only thing. At least, it's not a YT video, it's an embedded one on KS.

Edit: I guess after watching the first few seconds of TZ, we'll see Cactus Canyon soon?!?

Edit #2: Good video. I think a lot of people have been wanting to see that sort of thing (with ANY table) so I think that something actually showing the progress (somewhat) will go a long way in generating some goodwill with Farsight.

Edit #3: Okay, nevermind. Even though I only backed the ST:TNG table, they sent me a video for TZ. I thought it was gonna be for TNG :(

On another note, I'd love to hear sounds in TPA that sound like this. I know that's because the glass is off, but the sound effects need to be a lot more dynamic, IMO. Not enough "pop" or impact. Also, dat TNG music <3

adroit

I've tried all the tables on my Nexus 7 (Android) tablet. The frame rate is fine on all the tables except Black Hole. Why is that one table so slow? It's a freakin' slide show.

I've bought table pack 7 so far (Scared Stiff and the lovable old electromechanical Big Shot). I grew up playing electromechanical tables as a kid (elementary school). Special place for them in my heart.

TPA has been reconfirmed for the Wii U (launch window, not launch):

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/the_pinball_arcade_set_for_wii_u_launch_window_release

Top Bottom