• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

microtubule

Noticed on the PA Facebook page that Table Pack #3 (Gorgar and Monster Bash) has been released for EU PS3 and Vita

Also, PiN WiZ updated the latest news and information thread with table pack #7 info

DLC Tables Pack #7 Release Dates And Time Frames : Big Shot and Scared Stiff should be available on Android and iOS in early November, Kindle Fire and Mac by mid November and PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) in early December. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

so i have a kindle fire and bought one of the table packs. if i delete the game from my fire to make room for other games and then eventually i redownload it again will i be able to redownload my table packs for free or have to buy them again?

Wehrwolf

I'm still waiting for them to add the extra tournament/challenge modes (the ones that they say are coming once they release more tables). I really liked the 'Williams Challenge' in PHoF

I'm still waiting for them to add the extra tournament/challenge modes (the ones that they say are coming once they release more tables). I really liked the 'Williams Challenge' in PHoF

portrait / tate mode on home consoles please.

not that i haven't asked for this before.

VALIS

I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen these already, but here are some tutorials for tables in the Pinball Arcade. Done on the real machines but the principles are still the same.

Creature from the Black Lagoon: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/creature-from-the-black-lagoon/
Funhouse: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/funhouse/
Medieval Madness: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/medieval-madness/
Monster Bash: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/monster-bash/
No Good Gofers: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/no-good-gofers/
Ripley's Believe It Or Not: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/
Taxi: http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/taxi/

I don't have any problems with the physics in Zen Pinball 2 - I think it feels fine. Better than the "bounciness" of Pinball Arcade (I don't know if this has been patched - I'm on version 1.02 on the PS3).

I'd love to have a combination of the Zen engine with the PA tables.

Zen physics are made out of turds shat out by the devil.

Do they use DLC to distribute patches?

I just bought the latest DLC for the PS3 in Europe (Monster Bash and Gorgar) and when I started playing I didn't notice the input lag anymore.

I tried Arabian Nights (which to me felt worst before) and it was gone there too. I might be imagining things but it felt as if something about the table looked better than before as well.

So, I'm thinking about buying a table pack. Out of #2(Circus + Funhouse), #3(Monster Bash + Gorgar) or #4 (Black Lagoon & Black Knight) which one would you guys recommend?

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, I'm thinking about buying a table pack. Out of #2(Circus + Funhouse), #3(Monster Bash + Gorgar) or #4 (Black Lagoon & Black Knight) which one would you guys recommend?

Either #3 or #4. I don't know Creature from the Black Lagoon (#4 isn't out yet in EU), so my vote goes to #3.

Shaneus

I'd go the CV and Funhouse pack. The others are all great, but MB and CFTBL are both VERY similar to Medieval Madness. There's nothing else like CV or Funhouse in Pinball Arcade at this point in time.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'd say Monster Bash + Gorgar. Both are really fun to play, but I'm biased as I don't like Funhouse that much. I like Circus Voltaire a lot, but the different camera angles all screw up the score screen for me. It's always cut off in some way which is super disappointing/annoying.

I tried out the PS3 version of Pinball Arcade, and I'm surprised how different the physics are from the 360 version. I'm gonna need to play it more before I can really do a good comparison, but they're definitely not the same. Early impression from playing Gorgar is that the PS3 version is slower and floatier.

AcridMeat

Banned
I tried out the PS3 version of Pinball Arcade, and I'm surprised how different the physics are from the 360 version. I'm gonna need to play it more before I can really do a good comparison, but they're definitely not the same. Early impression from playing Gorgar is that the PS3 version is slower and floatier.
Man that's depressing because that's one of the better tables physics wise on PS3. :/

Man that's depressing because that's one of the better tables physics wise on PS3. :/

It's not necessarily worse than the xbox version. I would need to play it more to make a judgement on that. But there are situations where it bounces higher on Gorgar than in the xbox version, almost like the table is tilted at a different angle. I'm just surprised that it's different at all. I figured both versions would play the same.

It's not necessarily worse than the xbox version. I would need to play it more to make a judgement on that. But there are situations where it bounces higher on Gorgar than in the xbox version, almost like the table is tilted at a different angle. I'm just surprised that it's different at all. I figured both versions would play the same.

My guess is they just grab whatever physics engine is available on each platform instead of developing their own. Otherwise I don't understand why it's different.

VALIS

#2 or #3. If I had to rank those games from most favorite to least...

Funhouse (#2)
Monster Bash (#3)
Cirqus (#2)
Gorgar (#3)
Creature of the BL (#4)
Black Knight (#4)

But Cirqus on iOS is riddled with bugs and pretty much unplayable currently. Not sure how it is on other systems.

#2 or #3. If I had to rank those games from most favorite to least...

Funhouse (#2)
Monster Bash (#3)
Cirqus (#2)
Gorgar (#3)
Creature of the BL (#4)
Black Knight (#4)

But Cirqus on iOS is riddled with bugs and pretty much unplayable currently. Not sure how it is on other systems.

Cirqus is pretty buggy on 360 as well. I've had a bunch of weird stuff happen, but the worst was probably when the camera panned to a closeup of the backglass for the cannon bonus game, then never left that spot for the entire rest of the game, so none of the table playfield was in view at all.

Edit: Ha, I'm already second on the PS3 leaderboard for Gorgar. BRB getting first.

Shaneus

Surprised you guys are ranking #4 so low. I prefer CFTBL to MB (and CV, if you count the bugs... but I've not encountered them yet) and BK shits all over Gorgar IMO. Depending on the style of play you like, probably not quite as good as Funhouse (doesn't have the depth of it, at least) so I'd still be more inclined to go for the Funhouse/CV combo.

But like I said, I guess I've been lucky with CV. It's a shame Taxi isn't up because I'd recommend the hell out of that game. So fucking great.

Edit: Oh shit, I've just realised. I have a HDMI cable for my 4S and also have an 8-Bitty controller on the way. I think I might mod my pinball "controller" (bahahaha) to support it so i can play some big screen Taxi (even if it is at a lower res than the 360).

How come you keep mentioning the 360? He's talking about the Vita. That could be better (or worse).

Because a bunch of people in the thread have been giving their opinion on which DLC pack is the best one. I was pointing out that some of those people might not have played pack 4 if they're on 360. That was in response to an earlier question about why people weren't recommending pack 4.

Remy

Speaking from the iOS perspective:

Pack 4 is my favorite of those three options; CFTBL and BK both feel very different from the rest of the tables in the collection.

Pack 3 I'd put second; Gorgar is a classic, and MB is fun although a bit same-y if you already have MM since they play similarly.

Pack 2 I can't personally recommend. Funhouse feels off, even compared to WHOF - I may also be tired of it as I played a ton of it when I was younger. And Cirqus is buggy as hell, as others have mentioned.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll get pack 3 for now. CV and FH look really uniq but the whole carnival theme is not really my thing.

If only they were buy once play in any platform like Zen2 I'd buy them all in a heartbeat.

Shaneus

Thanks everyone, I think I'll get pack 3 for now. CV and FH look really uniq but the whole carnival theme is not really my thing.

If only they were buy once play in any platform like Zen2 I'd buy them all in a heartbeat.
Man, honestly I was *exactly* the same way (and I'm generally not a fan of Lawlor games at all) but I've actually warmed to it over the past month or two. I genuinely think that you would too.

Seriously. I practically despised the big, ugly head and the off-key music, but the game underneath is good enough for me to look past those.

Minsc

Gold Member
AFAIK if you buy a table in Zen2 it's available on all the platforms where the client is on ie PC, Mac, iOS, XBLA, PSN, etc.

Are you sure (have you redeemed a 3DS table for free by buying a 360 one, and then a PSN table for free from buying an iOS one)? I don't think that's possible. If that's how it worked, that'd be pretty neat, but I think the limitations of each platform (especially adding 3DS in there) prevent you from obtaining on competitor's platforms.

VALIS

Monster Bash is a game I didn't care for at first but really warmed up to. Very amusing and cute theme (the creature playing sax gets me every time) and so many ways to go about it, though you really need to activate Monster Bash and Monsters of Rock modes to ring up the points. It's also, along with Taxi, the game that makes me want to throw my iPad/360 controller across the room the most. But that's what makes it fun. It can be frustrating but it can be conquered, too, where a game like Black Hole feels like pushing a boulder up an endless hill in terms of frustration.

I hope I can warm up to Creature from the Black Lagoon in a similar way eventually, but like No Good Gofers, it just feels like a cluttered and obscured table on PA, and I don't like that.

Shaneus

I love Taxi because it's one of the few that makes you feel like every ball drain is from a lack of skill and not because of bad table design. Tables like that are rare, but awesome.

I hope I can warm up to Creature from the Black Lagoon in a similar way eventually, but like No Good Gofers, it just feels like a cluttered and obscured table on PA, and I don't like that.
But not as bad as almost every Lawlor table. I bet you *hated* Ripley's.

There's a specific generation of tables that are all far too similar, IMO. CFtBL, MM, AfM, MB... all are pretty great in their own right but all have exactly the same mechanic in them. Shoot X loop Y times, hit the castle/UFO/certain loop, repeat. It's only been DMD games that have really cemented this mechanic (it's a lot like an evolution of BoP in a way, I guess) which is why I favour alpha-numerics like Taxi, Funhouse and earlier ones such as Firepower and Black Knight.

There's a specific generation of tables that are all far too similar, IMO. CFtBL, MM, AfM, MB... all are pretty great in their own right but all have exactly the same mechanic in them. Shoot X loop Y times, hit the castle/UFO/certain loop, repeat. It's only been DMD games that have really cemented this mechanic (it's a lot like an evolution of BoP in a way, I guess) which is why I favour alpha-numerics like Taxi, Funhouse and earlier ones such as Firepower and Black Knight.

One thing I really like about the Medieval Madness design is that every shot on the table is important if you're trying to maximize your score. On a lot of other tables, some shots are basically obsolete because there's just no reason to shoot for them when you could get more points going for something else. And with all the modes in MM, which shot is highest priority changes frequently, which helps keep things interesting in a long game.

I haven't played enough of Monster Bash or Creature (or Attack from Mars) to say how they measure up, but now that I have the PS3 version I'll be putting in some games on MB and Creature soon.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN, my ID is ParallaxScroll. I'll be grinding out some scores on the PS3 version.

Shaneus

One thing I really like about the Medieval Madness design is that every shot on the table is important if you're trying to maximize your score. On a lot of other tables, some shots are basically obsolete because there's just no reason to shoot for them when you could get more points going for something else. And with all the modes in MM, which shot is highest priority changes frequently, which helps keep things interesting in a long game.

I haven't played enough of Monster Bash or Creature (or Attack from Mars) to say how they measure up, but now that I have the PS3 version I'll be putting in some games on MB and Creature soon.
MM is definitely the better of all of them IMO, but they're all so damn similar. I believe AfM isn't all that much different, given it's by the same guy (I think).

Today, I managed to have a good crack at AC/DC again (they enabled tilt :( ) and they finally fixed up the TAF machine there (the book case was thrown off it's axis) so it's been a good day for physical pinball. They also fixed the World Cup Soccer machine (one of it's flippers had a laggy solenoid or something) but my focus was the other two. There's a weird bit of wire covering a part of the Hell's Bells lane where it sometimes gets stuck SO DAMN FREQUENTLY, but even though it looks like it's a manufacturing defect... it's actually supposed to be there.

Edit: A picture:
OWZDi.png

The spring (blue arrow) is supposed to stop the ball from going SDTM when coming off the jet area, but because sometimes the ball doesn't go fast enough, it sits there. Before it wasn't a problem, but now that tilt has been enabled again... you're fucked. And the green arrow has been pointed out as another area to fix STDMs by getting a Williams-size rubber thing which is bigger than the Stern one by *just* the right amount to stop it going down the middle all the time.

And TAF... I'm still not digging it as much as the rest of the general public seem to, but I can see why it appeals to so many. Big sound, wacky theme, cool gadets... but IMO fairly ho-hum play.

MM is definitely the better of all of them IMO, but they're all so damn similar. I believe AfM isn't all that much different, given it's by the same guy (I think).

Today, I managed to have a good crack at AC/DC again (they enabled tilt :( ) and they finally fixed up the TAF machine there (the book case was thrown off it's axis) so it's been a good day for physical pinball. They also fixed the World Cup Soccer machine (one of it's flippers had a laggy solenoid or something) but my focus was the other two. There's a weird bit of wire covering a part of the Hell's Bells lane where it sometimes gets stuck SO DAMN FREQUENTLY, but even though it looks like it's a manufacturing defect... it's actually supposed to be there.

Edit: A picture:
OWZDi.png

The spring (blue arrow) is supposed to stop the ball from going SDTM when coming off the jet area, but because sometimes the ball doesn't go fast enough, it sits there. Before it wasn't a problem, but now that tilt has been enabled again... you're fucked. And the green arrow has been pointed out as another area to fix STDMs by getting a Williams-size rubber thing which is bigger than the Stern one by *just* the right amount to stop it going down the middle all the time.

And TAF... I'm still not digging it as much as the rest of the general public seem to, but I can see why it appeals to so many. Big sound, wacky theme, cool gadets... but IMO fairly ho-hum play.

TAF is one where i really like the theme, the music and the sound effects and all that. i haven't played it in aaaages but i can still remember the sound bites. theme plays a huge part for me when it comes to my favorites.

the thing i like about MM is trying to get all the madnesses going at once, and the thing i like about MB is trying to get Monsters of Rock before Monster Bash. both get you shooting all over the table if you try that. obviously MM has the castle as a big target (like CV has the ringmaster and AFM has the UFO) but whether it's the best way to score big points or not, nothing is as gratifying for me in this game right now as succeeding at either of those goals.

MM i love the sound bites, but i really don't like the playfield art. am i the only one who cares about that sort of stuff?

Shaneus

TAF is one where i really like the theme, the music and the sound effects and all that. i haven't played it in aaaages but i can still remember the sound bites. theme plays a huge part for me when it comes to my favorites.

the thing i like about MM is trying to get all the madnesses going at once, and the thing i like about MB is trying to get Monsters of Rock before Monster Bash. both get you shooting all over the table if you try that. obviously MM has the castle as a big target (like CV has the ringmaster and AFM has the UFO) but whether it's the best way to score big points or not, nothing is as gratifying for me in this game right now as succeeding at either of those goals. But that's not to say judging a book by it's cover is wrong... it's usually right. But in doing so, you'd be missing out on a massive portion of games... think I'd even consider bothering with a pinball game called "Cirqus Voltaire"? Not on your fucking life (at least as of the time this article was constructed).

MM i love the sound bites, but i really don't like the playfield art. am i the only one who cares about that sort of stuff?
To answer your first question: no. It can add or detract a lot to/from the game depending on how the game art looks. I have dismissed many a recent-gen Stern machine (seemingly rightly so) just because of lazy/dodgy backglass art. Seriously, the stuff that comes out now is so obviously visibly lazy, I just want to smack the shit out of whoever dragged the license-free clipart around to make a box cover.

So no, it's not wrong to think that. However, speaking from person experience I can vouch for the fact that bad playfield/backglass art can not always account for a shitty game experience. It's late now, but I'm sure I could give examples that would fit in my explanation. But not now... I'm too drunk and tired.

And I agree with you about setting up multiple modes/"madnesses" at once to be a gratifying experience...I'm not denying that. But what frustrates me is that the methods to getting the jackpot or what-have-you are largely completely identical between tables. Shoot ramp a few times, wait until whatever reward for that ramp is exceeded and repeat.

I'd be willing to wager that if you somehow mapped/plotted (or even documented) a simplistic view of each table's goals, that all the ones that.. are similar will have been inspired by a game that was released around '89... indicating an almost complete lack of originality that still seems to present itself today. Just look at the vast majority of new Stern tables (save for AC/DC).

VALIS

which is why I favour alpha-numerics like Taxi, Funhouse and earlier ones such as Firepower and Black Knight.

Oh yes. Those are my favorite tables as well, a perfect balance between the slower, cleaner EMs and the hectic, cluttered but deep DMDs. Cyclone, Taxi, Funhouse, High Speed, Bad Cats, Whirlwind, Hurricane, F-14, Bride of Pinbot, Dr. Dude, Diner... I'm getting excited just listing them.

Shaneus

We're gonna get along just fine _b

I'd love to see Stern (or someone else) put together a new machine in that older style. And I don't mean the Transformers home machine! Even an original IP one... it's like the days of receiving a game that isn't based on a movie are extremely limited :/

Just wanted to chime in and say that Monster Bash is awesome, at least thematically. The sound design and humor on this one is incredible.

Also, I've been hitting the local arcade and they have a The Simpsons Pinbal Party machine, it's a nice machine but sometimes there's a lot going on. I'm not even sure I understand whats going on half of the time. I wish we could get that as a table too but I guess the licensing cost are a nightmare for that one.

Shaneus

Is that the Data East or Stern machine? I can never remember :(

I'd actually be pretty happy with the DE one. Nice and colourful.

Nyx

Of the DLC packs I got, I think Cirqus Voltaire is the most fun table, then Monster Bash, Funhouse, and Gordar last.

Still need to buy Medieval Madness and Pinbot.

(360 user)

Shaneus

Ah. The Stern one didn't appeal to me... but that's not a surprise. But I haven't played either so they both could be good (or shit!).

Top Bottom