• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I should download it on PS3 to see what it's like... it's cross-play (or whatever) with Vita, yes?

And on your last point, I honestly think FarSight have lifted their game dramatically over the last month or two. Other than the 360 fiasco (waiting for MS approval, waiting for MS approval... oh wait, it's actually because our publisher went bust and we were looking for a new one) they've been pretty good with releasing less and less buggy tables. Hell, AfM on iOS is near-perfect and it's the first public version of the game.

PS. Another Firepower bro. You and I should be best friends.

Ocaso

It may still have one frame of lag (according to the developers, due to the lighting engine), but man this game now feels INCREDIBLE. I almost doubled my score on Medieval Madness, reaching Battle for the Kingdom for the first time and coming within a few stupid barrier trolls from beating it (I need to save my bombs next time). This is a better result than I ever achieved on the Williams Collection or Vita version, so the PS3 controls are really, really tight and precise now.

Farsight said they'd reduced the lag from 2 frames to 1 frame a long time ago, but I never noticed any improvement in lag until now. Either they only got around to decreasing the lag from 2 to 1 frame now, or they actually managed to cut that 1 frame lag from the PS3 version entirely. Really, I never understood why they could get lag-free post-processing on Xbox but not PS3. In any case, I agree, the game feels great now on PS3.

microtubule

So, I'm fed up. I wrote this email to both "Valve" and "Gabe Newell" on the email form on Valve's website, as well as sending an email to Gabe directly (replace "Gabe" with "guys"... otherwise, identical email):

I don't hold much hope of it doing anything, but given Gabe's propensity to reply to emails (at least, that's what I gather from some gaming forums and websites) I'm crossing my fingers that either himself or their generic contact will reply with some kind of an answer.

I don't think it was me... I've only owned an iPad 3. But I do tend to get into arguments with people regarding things I have no clue about, so it's entirely likely ;)

Nice work, maybe you'll get your name in the Steam PA credits! I might wind up following your lead in e-mailing him.

joeblow

Farsight said they'd reduced the lag from 2 frames to 1 frame a long time ago, but I never noticed any improvement in lag until now. Either they only got around to decreasing the lag from 2 to 1 frame now, or they actually managed to cut that 1 frame lag from the PS3 version entirely. Really, I never understood why they could get lag-free post-processing on Xbox but not PS3. In any case, I agree, the game feels great now on PS3.

I think visual improvements like the lighting engine (which I believe is absent front e X360 version as of now), plays a role. Also, the console engine is native to the 360 while the PS3 version is a port of that. Ports rarely maximize the strengths of a system unfortunately.

With that said, lag is undetectable in the game's current state. Of course, many people have 2-4 frames of lag in their TV, so that is something Farsight can do nothing about.

yeah, I just played some Cirqus Voltaire to confirm. The new physics are better, but it still isn't as responsive as the 360 version (at 1080p). I'm really pulling for the Wii U version to fix all this. Because I like setting myself up for disappointment I guess!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's sad that I had been so hyped for this (I made the first thread on GAF about it), but still have never bought it. I just hated that half of the tables in all the early table packs (and half of the four base tables) were stuff from PHOF, which I still own. It always felt like I'd be paying for stuff I already owned, even with the improved physics/graphics/etc. And now it's like, if I were to buy it, I'd want to just buy it all in one go, so I could have a bunch of non-PHOF tables to play, but I can't afford $40 for everything that's available on the PS3 version right now. *sigh* The most I've gotten to play of it is the "lite" version on Android, and that's fun and all (Star Trek is AMAZING), but man...I really want this on console. But at the rate things are going, it's gonna be months before I can afford it all. Ah well I guess. Really happy to see the TZ and Star Trek kickstarters were successful, though. Here's hoping for T2 or Addams sometime in the future.

Shaneus

If you have a PS3 (or Vita) and PSN+, the original 4-pack is free.

I think visual improvements like the lighting engine (which I believe is absent front e X360 version as of now), plays a role. Also, the console engine is native to the 360 while the PS3 version is a port of that. Ports rarely maximize the strengths of a system unfortunately.

With that said, lag is undetectable in the game's current state. Of course, many people have 2-4 frames of lag in their TV, so that is something Farsight can do nothing about.
It's been a while since I fired up the 360 one, but the PS3 version just came off as overdone. Too contrasty. The 360 may not have been as complex but I definitely preferred it. If FS compromise and put in whatever the PS3 has at the expense of response time, I'll be bummed. It may be one frame, but it's far too noticeable. Still playable... but knowing they can do better, they should.

Playing the PS3 one for free, though, it spun me out to see Taxi available on there. I want that on 360 :(

yeah, I just played some Cirqus Voltaire to confirm. The new physics are better, but it still isn't as responsive as the 360 version (at 1080p). I'm really pulling for the Wii U version to fix all this. Because I like setting myself up for disappointment I guess!
I'll fire up the 360 one now to compare, just to see... but I think I'll be able to confirm what I wrote above.

Nice work, maybe you'll get your name in the Steam PA credits! I might wind up following your lead in e-mailing him.
Do it! I doubt I'll get my name in the credits though... I didn't see my name in there given I backed STTNG (the credits seemed to cut off for that fairly early on, which sucks).

Ocaso

Actually, a few people here confirmed that the 360 version was updated to include the same lighting effects as the PS3 several months ago. It's not reflected in the demo since it was done as an update to the tables themselves, so you won't see it unless you own the game. However, most people here said that update didn't appear to introduce any lag. Don't own the 360 version myself to compare.

microtubule

Do it! I doubt I'll get my name in the credits though... I didn't see my name in there given I backed STTNG (the credits seemed to cut off for that fairly early on, which sucks).

Done!

here's what I wrote:

As someone who has spent a lot of money on Steam.....WHY is Pinball Arcade still sitting in the Greenlight cue and not for sale??

Even if only 50 people will buy it, you have 50 angry Steam subscribers out there.....

Please, do it for your consicence.

Baron

All right, if the PSN store update today doesn't include the release of at least the Twilight Zone table, I'm going to...probably just be quietly impotent in my rage here at my home.

New tables weren't mentioned in the "Drop" blog post on the Playstation blog, but I think DLC is only mentioned the day of release.

So when do backers get their redemption code? I noticed how replies mysteriously stopped on that blog post after it was brought up.

Edit: Ok, looks like backers will get a code within the next couple days.

Hi guys! I'm pretty addicted to the Vita Pinball Arcade I got from PS+ and am actually going to buy a table DLC soon. Is there any suggestions what would be a good table pair to buy as first DLC?

Hi guys! I'm pretty addicted to the Vita Pinball Arcade I got from PS+ and am actually going to buy a table DLC soon. Is there any suggestions what would be a good table pair to buy as first DLC?

Medieval Madness and Monster Bash are pretty good IMHO although they are very similar gameplay wise.

Medieval Madness and Monster Bash are pretty good IMHO although they are very similar gameplay wise.

Thanks for the suggestion! If there are no other opinions might as well go with em :).

Some of the trophies are bugged in the vita version tho. It shows all wizard goals as done in the Arabian Nights but I didn't get the trophy. I think I haven't really won the camel race...

Medieval Madness is basically a copy of Mars Attacks. I think Monster Bash is pretty distinct from it. Its pretty good, but may be a bit on the easy side in my opinion.

So when do backers get their redemption code? I noticed how replies mysteriously stopped on that blog post after it was brought up.

Edit: Ok, looks like backers will get a code within the next couple days.

Wait, it's out today for any Joe Schmo to pick up while backers have to wait for a code to be sent sometime in the next couple of days? Grrrrr.

Shaneus

Medieval Madness is basically a copy of Mars Attacks. I think Monster Bash is pretty distinct from it. Its pretty good, but may be a bit on the easy side in my opinion.
Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness are both designed by Brian Eddy. I believe they also used the same sound guy (Dan Forden, aka TOASTY!) as well, which explains the vast number of similarities.

I tend to lump a lot of the games from that era in the same bucket because they're all practically identical. Both AfM and MM (obviously), as well as CftBL and Monster Bash all basically feel like the same game (and I'm sure there are more that I can't quite remember).

That's why I'm more of a fan of the alphanumeric titles (from Black Knight to games like Funhouse and Taxi) because they didn't rely so much on a DMD to carry the weight of the rest of the game by only having a relatively simplistic playfield design compared to their 80s counterparts. That's not to say all DMD games are crap, but if I had to pick an era of machines as a favourite, it's definitely the 80s pre-DMD ones over the 90s> ones.

joeblow

I'm bugged about this too. Farsight is showing far too much clumsiness to be a successful company over the long run. They have some serious management issues.

Shaneus

I still don't have access to the pro menu in STTNG, despite emailing their support address AND sending them a message on Facebook (like they requested). They get a few things right but the really important, obvious ones (like good customer service, reliable software) they just get so fucking wrong.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why am I not surprised Farsight screwed this up again? Did they even ever ask people if they need a US or European PSN code? I fully expect them to send me a US code.

Minsc

Gold Member
I ended up caving and just buying the tables a second time on iOS, their redemption never quite worked for me.

Hopefully they get the PSN codes sent out soon, but I waited a good month before deciding it's just easier to re-purchase the tables and think of the kickstarter as a tool to simply make the table available rather than something to purchase it with. I thought maybe iOS method of redemption was also going to be among the worst of all the platforms, since it requires you to juggle multiple logins nearly each time you want to play the tables, which I couldn't deal with anyway.

But a few days for a code doesn't sound too bad to me, given I waited a good month and then basically gave up! It sucks, but I hope it will get straightened out sooner or later. I agree it doesn't bode well for their upcoming T2 kickstarter, normally backers get their keys/games prior to the official release in my experience, but that is not something they explicitly promised. Still, they should come out and say there will be a small delay ahead of time, so people expected it.

Anyway, there was a little news in a PAF update today, I figured I'd quote it here:

PAF update said:
• Kickstarter backers that chose the PS3/PS Vita as their platform of choice (this includes those that backed at the $100 tier and above) should be receiving their redemption codes for The Twilight Zone via email within the next 24 hours.

• FarSight is looking to offer North American PS Plus members discounts on select content soon.

• Tournaments for PS3/PS Vita will be submitted with the next patch.

• Stereoscopic 3D support for the PS3 is in the works and FarSight hopes to debut it next month at the Texas Pinball Festival.

• Table Add-On Pack #8 featuring The Twilight Zone will be available on PS3/PS Vita (EU) later today.

• Table Add-On Pack #7 featuring Big Shot and Scared Stiff will be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA) on February 12th and PS3/PS Vita (EU) on February 13th.

• Pro Versions of Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights will be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA) on February 19th and PS3/PS Vita (EU) on February 20th.

• Table Add-On Pack #9 featuring Star Trek : The Next Generation should be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA/EU) mid-late March.

Looks like the next table pack is supposed to release soon, and more interestingly, they'll be demoing 3D support, which sounds like a great feature to add in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Didn't it have a 50% off sale on PS+ just recently?

It did, or at least, the base game did. If I'm going to buy it, it's going to be all at once. And for that to happen, more than just the base pack needs discounted.

Of course, had I never bought The Williams Collection, I probably wouldn't feel this way, or hell, if there were a way to buy just the new tables that weren't in PHOF. But as it stands, I can't justify paying full price for a bunch of tables I can already play.

depths20XX

Anyone playing TZ on PS3/Vita? I got it yesterday but really only got like 15 minutes with it so can't say much yet. Also, what's up with the pro table stuff? What exactly does it add? It says things like disabling tilt but you can already do that if you complete the goals.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I finally got Twilight Zone on PS3/Vita and saw how they took out Raul Julia saying "Greed" during the Greed mode. Sad. Pretty much confirmation that we'll never get The Addams Family, as his family was adamant that his likeness was never used after his death.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I finally got Twilight Zone on PS3/Vita and saw how they took out Raul Julia saying "Greed" during the Greed mode. Sad. Pretty much confirmation that we'll never get The Addams Family, as his family was adamant that his likeness was never used after his death.

FarSight said before that while it's a very challenging table to go after it's something they're interested in pursuing and acquiring and I refuse to give up hope! But you're probably right :(

Anyone playing TZ on PS3/Vita? I got it yesterday but really only got like 15 minutes with it so can't say much yet. Also, what's up with the pro table stuff? What exactly does it add? It says things like disabling tilt but you can already do that if you complete the goals.

Pro mode is mainly to get access to the table's operator menu, so you can tweak gameplay options to make it more difficult (disable extra balls, etc). It prevents you from registering high scores I believe, and offers little else, so I tend to think of it mainly as a way to send FarSight more money.

Baron

Couldn't they edit the artwork and voicework to exclude all things Raul Julia, though? Would it still feel the same? Have a voice stand in, and alter the face of Gomez Addams.

We're kidding ourselves, Farsight doesn't have the resources to develop a game!

3D support in PS3??? WHY DO THEY WANT ME NEVER TO BE ABLE TO DECIDE ON A PRIMARY PLATFORM FOR THIS GAME EVER AGAIN???

Just after they announced that the game had been submitted to Nintendo for Wii U. People in the real world mock me for complaining about this stuff.

3D support in PS3??? WHY DO THEY WANT ME NEVER TO BE ABLE TO DECIDE ON A PRIMARY PLATFORM FOR THIS GAME EVER AGAIN???

Just after they announced that the game had been submitted to Nintendo for Wii U. People in the real world mock me for complaining about this stuff.
Yeah, it's annoying as hell to feel safe with a definitive version. Oh well, I've already bought all tables on X360 and PS3, but I'm not sure I'll follow down the path for Wii U.

TZ is nice, but I forgot how deadly that left outlane is. The ball loves to fly sideways from the mid-field straight over there. Fuck.

jgkspsx

So I just got a Nexus 4. I downloaded TPA and logged in with the email address I Kickstarted with. The ST:TNG table was in the "My Tables" list, but TZ wasn't. Should it have been? I messaged them on Kickstarter, though I guess a direct email might be better.

Also, good lord the interface is bad. They are singularly gifted. At this point, it does like they designed the Crave website, or at least hired the guy who did.

Received my codes for PS3 Twilight Zone and of course they don't work. Like they could ever do anything right.

I'm guessing you are in the EU? If so, this was posted at PAF:

PiN WiZ said:
UPDATE More information on PS3/PS Vita Kickstarter redemption codes for both the North American and European markets.

North American Kickstarter backers should have received their redemption codes already. If you have any problems redeeming your codes or haven't received them yet, please email support@pinballarcade.com.

European Kickstarter backers should receive their redemption codes within the next 24 hours. If you received codes for the North American market, please email support@pinballarcade.com and request codes for the European market.

PiN WiZ said:
UPDATE SCEE has contacted FarSight regarding The Twilight Zone redemption codes for European Kickstarter backers and FarSight anticipates that redemption codes will be sent out to backers early next week.

Remember, if you're in the European market and were previously sent redemption codes for the North American market, please PM Rob Mann here at the forums and request redemption codes for the European market.

NOTE : You must be a forum member to send other members of this forum private messages. If you're not currently a member, please take a minute to register and join the forum.

Top Bottom