• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You were probably looking at the weekly or monthly scoreboard.

Ohhhh, yeah I probably was. The scoreboard system in the PS3 version is a bit confusing to navigate. :lol

Also for some reason the last time I had the game running, I was locked out of the "New Tables" option for some reason. Weird.

Shaneus

Does anybody know why we haven't seen High Speed or High Speed 2 in any collection recently?
I don't think there's any *specific* reason why, but I don't think they won't appear on there. I can't remember where, but I'm sure somewhere (maybe on PAF?) one of the developers mentioned that one specifically was more likely to be put on earlier than the other.

I think.

Actually, it may have been that someone asked if they may release a pack with both High Speed and The Getaway in one, but it's not likely because they try and stick with one remade table (ie. PHOF conversion) and one new table each pack. Obviously that can be broken though, just look at Elvira for example.

But I'd love to see both of those make it. Never played either, but I've seen a LOT of videos of them and they both look incredible.

I know there was a query about licensing the songs as well (didn't The Getaway have La Grange in it?) but I'm pretty sure that's not a massive roadblock.

But yes, bring on more Steve Ritchie tables! I'm especially hanging for F-14 Tomcat. Again, I haven't played it, but I've seen tournament videos and it looks BRUTAL. Hook it into my veins.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't think there's any *specific* reason why, but I don't think they won't appear on there. I can't remember where, but I'm sure somewhere (maybe on PAF?) one of the developers mentioned that one specifically was more likely to be put on earlier than the other.

I think.

Actually, it may have been that someone asked if they may release a pack with both High Speed and The Getaway in one, but it's not likely because they try and stick with one remade table (ie. PHOF conversion) and one new table each pack. Obviously that can be broken though, just look at Elvira for example.

But I'd love to see both of those make it. Never played either, but I've seen a LOT of videos of them and they both look incredible.

I know there was a query about licensing the songs as well (didn't The Getaway have La Grange in it?) but I'm pretty sure that's not a massive roadblock.

But yes, bring on more Steve Ritchie tables! I'm especially hanging for F-14 Tomcat. Again, I haven't played it, but I've seen tournament videos and it looks BRUTAL. Hook it into my veins.

High Speed 2: The Getaway is easily in my top 5. Phenomenal game.

There was an F-14 Tomcat table in the ice arena I frequented as a child. I spent hours on that one. Fantastic.

Shaneus

What surprises me the most about it is that apparently the supercharger on it is one of the lowest-maintenance features on a table because there aren't any moving parts, it's all electromagnetic (or something).

joeblow

Wow, that's an amazing Big Shot result. You pretty much doubled my best.

And your Bride of Pinbot score is crazy. Did you try to do a Backdoor Billion during that one (10-loop combo)? I got up to a 9-loop combo once before the game ended. The normal Billion point shot is a lot easier, but this alternative one is more fun to go for IMHO. Too bad there is no wizard goal for nailing it.

I only have a few scores left that you haven't smacked down yet. I'm guessing my nearly 350 million Elvira: Scared Stiff mark will hold out the longest, but I wouldn't be surprised if you topped that one as well. I guess you're finally getting used to the DS3 nudge.

Wow, that's an amazing Big Shot result. You pretty much doubled my best.

And your Bride of Pinbot score is crazy. Did you try to do a Backdoor Billion during that one (10-loop combo)? I got up to a 9-loop combo once before the game ended. The normal Billion point shot is a lot easier, but this alternative one is more fun to go for IMHO. Too bad there is no wizard goal for nailing it.

I only have a few scores left that you haven't smacked down yet. I'm guessing my nearly 350 million Elvira: Scared Stiff mark will hold out the longest, but I wouldn't be surprised if you topped that one as well. I guess you're finally getting used to the DS3 nudge.

I'm getting there on the nudge. Big Shot is honestly the best place to practice it. I switched to a 360 controller with an adapter though. I was seriously fucking up my wrist with the PS3 controller.

I've never bothered with the Backdoor Billion on Bride of Pinbot. That game had 9 Billionaire's Club shots and 2 billion from regular ass scoring.

Scared Stiff is on my list, but I'm having fun with the other Elvira table so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Shaneus

So, has lag improved at all on the PS3 since the last major update a few months ago? Last I played it, it was better but still not as snappy as the 360 one.

eggwolio

I asked this previously, but it was either overlooked or perhaps no one knows. I figured I would hope for the former and ask once more.

I have a European PlayStation Plus account on my American PS3. I play all my games on my American account, even those which I purchased through my European account. When I play TPA on my American account, can I purchase the tables through the American PSN store, or must they be purchased from the UK store since that's where the game came from?

I asked this previously, but it was either overlooked or perhaps no one knows. I figured I would hope for the former and ask once more.

I have a European PlayStation Plus account on my American PS3. I play all my games on my American account, even those which I purchased through my European account. When I play TPA on my American account, can I purchase the tables through the American PSN store, or must they be purchased from the UK store since that's where the game came from?

I only play US region, so I don't know. Hopefully someone can help you.

Shaneus

I can't tell. I think it's worse than 360, but maybe I just think it's worse.
You're probably right, though. But since I last played it, there's been this update and I'd scored it (as in, the original table pack) for free via PSN+ (at least, for Vita... I'm sure that lets me play the full one on PS3 as well) so I'll try tonight and see if my fingers deceive me or not. It may have been improved a shitload, but even though they said the postprocessing was cut down so it only took 1/60th of a frame, I could still notice it. Pinball's just the sort of game where that kind of timing really does matter, I guess.

Edit: I just flicked between playing the PS3 and 360 versions of TotAN and (to me) there is a world of difference in responsiveness b/w the two, with 360 being the pick. I guess it's possible it's the R1 and L1 buttons on my PS3 pad, but my current 360 pad has taken a beating as well and it just feels that much better. I can actually make shots I want to make on 360, whereas on PS3, in both TotAN and ToM I was hitting the wrong loops.

It just pains me to hear that the 360 is their lead platform but they haven't released anything on it for over six months. Must be running like a dream now :/

Jucksalbe

Banned
Anyone notice that the trophies for Attack From Mars and Genie have been added to the PS3 version?

They're both announced for next week.

When I play TPA on my American account, can I purchase the tables through the American PSN store, or must they be purchased from the UK store since that's where the game came from?

You have to purchase DLC in the region the game is from. I think they are a few exceptions, but in general mixing regions doesn't work. So you have to buy from the UK store.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not sure where you see them, but the information about them was already included in the patch a few days ago (they should also appear in the trophy menu). The actual DLC needed to play them releases next week.

By the way the PS3 version just downloaded another patch. Not sure what it does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, has lag improved at all on the PS3 since the last major update a few months ago? Last I played it, it was better but still not as snappy as the 360 one.

No, not at all. Still horrible lag.

I play mostly on my Vita because of it :/

vg260

Good lord is that opening menu bad. The pinball wizard sound-alike music is awful too. I hate that crap. They need some decent UI designers.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Good lord is that opening menu bad. The pinball wizard sound-alike music is awful too. I hate that crap. They need some decent UI designers.
Isn't the music here just the music from Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Good news I guess from Farsight:

siAAjmi.png

You don't say.

Shaneus

No, not at all. Still horrible lag.

I play mostly on my Vita because of it :/
Yeah, I don't know if it's really true that it's only an extra 1fps on top of the 360 one, but it feels like a heck of a lot more. I'd think it's probably closer to 10.

And finally got my TNG PSN code :) Time to pester my brother for his TZ one now!

Man, I got the TNG jackpot value super high that last game. And then never was able to shoot the Borg ship because the camera was looking away from the playfield the whole time till multiball ended.

Minsc

Gold Member
No, it's something more generic.

Good news I guess from Farsight:

Good news indeed. While looking over PAF for any more info on it (couldn't find anything), I stumbled across this again:

PNv9cGp.jpg

Hopefully seeing that level of detail isn't too far off (maybe we'll get some of those improved for PS4 features in a screenshot or two eventually). It's funny how a digitally created table looks more real than the real tables digitized. I think lighting definitely plays one of the biggest parts in fixing that, so all those new PS4 lighting tricks should help a bit. And while I'm wishing, a night mode for all the tables would be great once the lighting tech is improved. Probably be a more popular feature than the Pro Mode, at least it's an easier sell imo since what you're getting is a lot more noticeable.

adroit

While looking over PAF for any more info on it (couldn't find anything), I stumbled across this again:

(image of Pro Pinball Timeshock! table)
Oh, the memories. How I loved that game. I had a large, high-res monitor (by 1997 PC standards) and it was glorious.

I saw (after the fact) that there was a Kickstarter to revive these old Pro Pinball tables but it didn't reach the funding goal. Sad.

blurrygil

I really wish there was a way to update the OP with table release info, updates, etc.

I've been away from it for awhile. Where are we at with tables?

blurrygil

Depends what platform you're on. Mobile has all the latest stuff, PS3 is a bit behind, and Xbox hasn't been updated in 6 months.

I'm aware of the disparity between the platforms. I meant what table packs are out for what? (Mainly PS3/Vita & iOS)

Edit: I finally found the thread on TPA forums. Wish we could mirror that here on GAF.

Shaneus

Good news indeed. While looking over PAF for any more info on it (couldn't find anything), I stumbled across this again:

PNv9cGp.jpg

Hopefully seeing that level of detail isn't too far off (maybe we'll get some of those improved for PS4 features in a screenshot or two eventually). It's funny how a digitally created table looks more real than the real tables digitized. I think lighting definitely plays one of the biggest parts in fixing that, so all those new PS4 lighting tricks should help a bit. And while I'm wishing, a night mode for all the tables would be great once the lighting tech is improved. Probably be a more popular feature than the Pro Mode, at least it's an easier sell imo since what you're getting is a lot more noticeable.
What's that? Absolutely none of it looks familiar :/

Does look good though. I assume that whatever it is, it's basically confirmed? DMD or alphanumeric? I like the loops, though... if I had to say, I'm guessing... ~1991?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's that? Absolutely none of it looks familiar :/

Does look good though. I assume that whatever it is, it's basically confirmed? DMD or alphanumeric? I like the loops, though... if I had to say, I'm guessing... ~1991?

It's Pro Pinball: Timeshock. It's not a real table. It came out on PC and PSX in 1997.

vg260

"We have a new UI guy working full time now and we'll be updating the look in a month or so. It will function in a similar manner, but the new look is a lot better."

Thank god. Kill the sound-alike music too. I always cringe when I hear knock-offs like that.

I give up. I'm going in on Farsight on their forum.

When you release a DLC pack with a game-breaking camera glitch, and 7 months later you release another pack with the exact same glitch, without fixing the glitch in that previous DLC? That's just ridiculous.

Shaneus

It's Pro Pinball: Timeshock. It's not a real table. It came out on PC and PSX in 1997.
Is that an off-screen shot or something? With whatever techniques they used for the shot (slight colour bleeding, photo grain etc.) it seriously looks like a real table.

I need to find a way to fire that up again somehow. I wonder if that DOS emulator for iPad/iPhone would play it. Hmm...

joeblow

Yeah, I don't know if it's really true that it's only an extra 1fps on top of the 360 one, but it feels like a heck of a lot more. I'd think it's probably closer to 10.

Now you're just making things up for whatever reason. It has one frame of lag in 1080P according to the developer, which many people don't notice. There is no reported issue at all when switching to 720P (through the XMB menu's global video settings). If it were close to 10 frames of lag, it would be literally unplayable within the first few seconds. Some the worst HDTVs on the market aren't even half that laggy.

I play on my Vita (lag free OLED screen) and PS3 and they both are fine. All but one of my best scores, which can be as good as the top 150 on the global leaderboards, were achieved on the PS3 (the other was on the Vita). Maybe your HDTV is the source of so much lag, maybe its mental, I dunno. But it is perfectly playable as it is now, and you can switch to 720P if you prefer.

Now you're just making things up for whatever reason. It has one frame of lag in 1080P according to the developer, which many people don't notice. There is no reported issue at all when switching to 720P (through the XMB menu's global video settings). If it were close to 10 frames of lag, it would be literally unplayable within the first few seconds. Some the worst HDTVs on the market aren't even half that laggy.

I play on my Vita (lag free OLED screen) and PS3 and they both are fine. All but one of my best scores, which can be as good as the top 150 on the global leaderboards, were achieved on the PS3 (the other was on the Vita). Maybe your HDTV is the source of so much lag, maybe its mental, I dunno. But it is perfectly playable as it is now, and you can switch to 720P if you prefer.

You're going to believe the developer on this?

Also top 150, holy shit.

joeblow

Heh, not anywhere close to the top 10-20 like you, but I am happy with my slow progress from the 1,000-5,000 I used to be on some of my favorites (still working on the others). I hit my combos with ease, do decently with flipper passes and have nailed down a few trick shots for some tables I learned from tutorials. When I am stuck in a rut, the game is not preventing me from improving; I am.

Regardless of what the developer says, one can play the lag free Vita version to compare (if their HDTV isn't extra laggy of course). Experience between the two are comparable.

My response above was more about attacking the "almost 10f of lag" theory he tried to raise. If that were true, forget about pinball - TPA would be the laggiest overall game this generation.

Shaneus

Maybe it is my TV, but maybe you missed this part of my post:
Edit: I just flicked between playing the PS3 and 360 versions of TotAN and (to me) there is a world of difference in responsiveness b/w the two, with 360 being the pick. I guess it's possible it's the R1 and L1 buttons on my PS3 pad, but my current 360 pad has taken a beating as well and it just feels that much better. I can actually make shots I want to make on 360, whereas on PS3, in both TotAN and ToM I was hitting the wrong loops.

I said "I'd think". But thanks for trying to call me out on "making things up".

For what it's worth, I was doing the math, figuring that if the game was running at 60fps, the delay probably feels like it's closer to 1/6th of a second than 1/60th... so 10fps. I didn't have a stopwatch so I couldn't measure exactly, but it sure as shit feels like more than 1 frame delay (unless I'm just doing really well at picking up what an extra .0167s delay feels like between the two).

But whatever. Fact is, the 360 version feels a lot more responsive than the PS3 one on the same TV and both using wireless controllers.

joeblow

Maybe because I play fighting games a lot, seeing a statement about almost 10f of lag really stood out as being an extreme observation. In the end though, people can and should play whatever feels best to them.

Top Bottom