• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Man what the fuck.

I was playing TOTAN, beat the Genie, rescued the Princess, then...the game just stopped. It said "Player 1 Keep Shooting" like it normally does after you beat the Genie, but...nothing happened. The ball never came out.

Thanks Farsight. I was on a really good run too. Ball 2 with two extra balls stocked. Definitely would have beaten my high score. =/

That sucks man. I've had something similar happen on Funhouse.

Man what the fuck.

I was playing TOTAN, beat the Genie, rescued the Princess, then...the game just stopped. It said "Player 1 Keep Shooting" like it normally does after you beat the Genie, but...nothing happened. The ball never came out.

Thanks Farsight. I was on a really good run too. Ball 2 with two extra balls stocked. Definitely would have beaten my high score. =/

I think there's a "the ball is stuck mode" in the pause menu.

Shaneus

Did you try leaving it so the table goes into ball search mode? Had to use that IRL several times yesterday on X-Men (it was the only table working... AC/DC wasn't spitting balls out at all and World Cup '94 has incredibly weak flippers :/).

Shaneus

Oh, this is great stuff! A collation of some of the Facebook posts from the last few days:

Originally Posted by Bruno Cantari
… [have you] considered using psvita as cross-controller that see the dmd full on psvita.
Originally Posted by The Pinball Arcade
We are investigating this as an option.

Originally Posted by Max Baker
News about the PC version? It's the 29th and we are waiting for an update, please.
We met with Valve at the GDC and can report that the meeting went well.

Originally Posted by Luke Frohling
… how about you include iCade support built in? ….
Actually, we are working on iCade support. We had it running at the Dallas and Milwaukee shows these last few weeks!

Minsc

Gold Member
So I'm not sure how quickly this will go for the rest of the tables, but if I manage to go through them, I'd like to update the OP to be a little more current (especially in honor of the upcoming Wii U & PC releases).

2NN5nDF.png

PDbvwBT.png

2Kqdtwa.png

cYa2jND.png

3nHm0b1.png

So each banner actually has a whole bunch of info. You get each table's fantastic logo art, who manufactured the table, a link to a screenshot of the table (which there seems to be no good source for, so I can't wait until the PC version is out to replace them with proper high-res images), a link to a video of the table (shamelessly taken from PAF's main news thread, which I'd also link as it's probably the most up-to date info generally speaking), the backglass art, year the table was released, what platforms the table is available on (the faded platforms are not released, as you can see from OUYA, Windows and Wii U), and what pack the table was released in. So if anyone has any suggestions of stuff to add I might be forgetting or any other input let me know!

Shaneus

Wow, they all look great! I'd be happy to take some load off and work on the others if you want to hook me up with the relevant artwork/logos etc. (as in, the platform ones, not necessarily the backglass artwork or whatever). Especially given the number of tables that are out/have been announced, it may be easier to share it around.

Have you caught any extra news on the PC version, or are you just saying "upcoming" in light of what I copypasta'd from PAF re: Farsight and Valve at WDC?

Minsc

Gold Member
Have you caught any extra news on the PC version, or are you just saying "upcoming" in light of what I copypasta'd from PAF re: Farsight and Valve at WDC?

Not wanting to start any rumors, sorry, I wish I had some good news to share! Just wanted to see what sort of layout I could come up with to better be prepared in case we hear something and May pans out, it will sneak up fast.

I'll see how it goes the next day or two and clean up the template / incorporate any last changes first, but if you're eager to help, nice 1280x720 screenshots of the full tables are what I have the most trouble finding, a PM with links to use would be useful for now, or if there's any other areas in the OP beside table summaries that could use a little sprucing up.

Shaneus

No worries. Screenshots from any particular format? It'd probably be easier to do my/our own from a retina iPad with post-processing enabled (or not, whatever you'd prefer). And depending on how far you want to go, maybe an IPDB link on the main logo?

Or even if you can't find many 1280x720 screens, maybe use resized iPad retina ones for all of them so at least they're all the same aspect ratio. The only other way you may be able to get 1280x720 screens is if there's an Android device that runs PA at that resolution (I'm not sure if there is or not) and someone here has one.

Shaneus

Can't be done on PS3. Or it's not easy for them to. I seem to recall Zen Pinball does it by having two distinct downloads for each table, one trial and one full. But for whatever reason (maybe it costs them to have "free" content up, I dunno) Pinball Arcade doesn't have it. I don't think the 360 one has it either, but I can't test that theory because I've bought all the content on there.

Minsc

Gold Member
No worries. Screenshots from any particular format? It'd probably be easier to do my/our own from a retina iPad with post-processing enabled (or not, whatever you'd prefer). And depending on how far you want to go, maybe an IPDB link on the main logo?

Or even if you can't find many 1280x720 screens, maybe use resized iPad retina ones for all of them so at least they're all the same aspect ratio. The only other way you may be able to get 1280x720 screens is if there's an Android device that runs PA at that resolution (I'm not sure if there is or not) and someone here has one.

PNG is fine (or JPEG if they're too large for you - I'll rehost anyway so that shouldn't matter), if you're using an iPad 3 or 4 as that's the default format for screen caps. I'd use my own iPhone 5 to take them all, but they look pretty crappy at full size on a ~90dpi monitor vs the iPhone's small screen, so that's not an option, and I can't really use my 360 to take screenshots that I know of either (nor is the selection that great even if I could lol). I only mentioned 1280x720 since that's what the consoles use I think, but no need to stick to that, bigger is better! The post-processing is good if it makes the screens look better, I just want to link to images that look good and (ideally) are consistently framed; and getting a full set of console images seems tricky.

It sucks that an iPhone with a ~1130 pixel resolution (even with youtube auto-convert off) can't handle a total of 900 pixels worth of images without dropping them to the next row (does the Retina iPad load the banners properly?), but OTs that work with iPhones are probably few and far between anyway, so too bad if someone's on a smartphone. Maybe in a few more years things will improve! That or just disable the mobile site I guess, it loads up fine if I use the non-mobile neogaf urls.

Practicing on Theatre of Magic on the 360 last night, an alley pass took an awkward bounce and clipped upwards through the rails that usually feed the right inlane. Game didn't know what to do with the ball going backwards up those rails, so the ball never lost momentum travelling against gravity and it clipped all the way through the upper right part of the playfield, eventually coming up through the plunger and ending up loaded for a fresh plunge.

Strangely this made me like the table more than I already do.

Practicing on Theatre of Magic on the 360 last night, an alley pass took an awkward bounce and clipped upwards through the rails that usually feed the right inlane. Game didn't know what to do with the ball going backwards up those rails, so the ball never lost momentum travelling against gravity and it clipped all the way through the upper right part of the playfield, eventually coming up through the plunger and ending up loaded for a fresh plunge.

Strangely this made me like the table more than I already do.

I have weird stuff like that happen occasionally. Cirqus Voltaire sends the ball flying out the ride side of the table fairly often.

I can't wait to jump back into this game on the eventual PC release. I had been buying all the 360 tables until they stopped abruptly. So I have a lot of table packs to catch up on!

Minsc

Gold Member
Table Packs 01-04 finished (some of the links to the screenshots are pretty poor though, but even low-res it's still pretty amazing how much nicer the console ones look)!

2NN5nDF.png

I1u89yH.png

PJTREjh.png

PVceTK5.png

tyYJ9KH.png

2Trni1V.png

4lqE34P.png

d5jdEnr.png

pZPCO4h.png

XBLA fizzling out... so sad. A whole lot of Williams too looking at it, 3/4s of the first four table packs to be exact (with no Gottlieb or Stern, poor guys).

Hey Minsc, what do you think about GC/SEN/Live/PC/WiiU friends list in the op?

A link to a google docs list as in the iOS thread? If anyone wants to PM formatted stuff to add in to the OP, feel free... I'll glance over the rest of it when I'm through with the table banners, but some sort of friends list sounds like a good idea. A tabbed excel sheet perhaps, for all the different platforms?

Shaneus

Looking good!
A link to a google docs list as in the iOS thread? If anyone wants to PM formatted stuff to add in to the OP, feel free... I'll glance over the rest of it when I'm through with the table banners, but some sort of friends list sounds like a good idea. A tabbed excel sheet perhaps, for all the different platforms?
Would we want to include high scores as well, maybe? I guess it would just mean having "Parallax Scroll" on all the tables, but it could be an easy reference point rather than having to rely on FarSight's sporadic leaderboards. Table, platform, high score and GAF name?

Even to cut down on maintenance, only put the game in the table a few weeks after it's come out so there's no need for constant updates. Hell, I'd be happy to maintain it in a locked Google doc.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Got 16 billion on Attack From Mars. Given that Parallax Scroll has like 39 billion or what not, I'm calling it acceptable. :)

Fun table. My kids said "oh, this plays like Medieval Madness". They're also getting some real-life skills when we go to the local pizza parlour and they play the rickety Addams Family.

Edit: Also, I figure anyone that wants it may already have it, but this is in today's PS Store update:
Pinball Arcade Twilight Zone Custom Ball – PS3/PS Vita Game Add-On (now: $0.99 original price: $1.99)
This looks like a permanent price drop. It's not listed as a sale price.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You should add me, jvm. I need someone on my friends list with TPA besides Parallax, since there's no chance I'll ever beat his scores (don't get me wrong, there's probably no chance I'll ever beat yours either, but still, heh). :lol My PSN is SeraphisCain, if you'd like to add me.

jvm

Gamasutra.
You should add me, jvm. I need someone on my friends list with TPA besides Parallax, since there's no chance I'll ever beat his scores (don't get me wrong, there's probably no chance I'll ever beat yours either, but still, heh). :lol My PSN is SeraphisCain, if you'd like to add me.
Doing so now! Did we talk about this before and I just forgot? :| Sorry!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Doing so now! Did we talk about this before and I just forgot? :| Sorry!

No no, you know what I think it is? I just looked at your PSN name and it seems familiar. It feels like I probably added you sometime in the past, then forgot that it was you and deleted you during my last friends list cleaning. So if that's the case, then I should be the one saying sorry, haha.

Shaneus

Double post, but an update from FS re: PS3/Vita codes for the TNG KS redemption:

We have some news regarding Star Trek codes and our support email.

First, the not-so-good news:

We apologize for the seeming lack of response that some of you are experiencing when contacting us @farsight or @pinball arcade. We didn't realize the severity of the problem sending emails from our server until the flood of people who didn't get Star Trek voucher codes came in. From what we can tell, hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com, att.net, and aol.com is filtering out our emails. We are fixing this as quickly as we can.

With that out of the way, good news:

Sony Europe has confirmed that the Star Trek codes are now cross-buy (PS3 and PSVita). Unfortunately, the already redeemed codes cannot be fixed - so, we will be sending out new codes to Europe whether you've used your first voucher or not. Due to our current email issue, we will be sending these codes out to anyone affected from the email address PinballArcadeStarTrekCodes@gmail.com.

Finally, a big THANK YOU to the fine folks at both the Dallas Pinball Expo and the Midwest Gaming Classic for having us and being great people!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Spent some time with Big Shot and TNG last night. Felt good as a way to decompress from playing through the middle of Bioshock Infinite.

Meanwhile a retailer near my area is selling TNG retrofitted with LEDs, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-T...ball-Machine-FREE-SHIPPING-LEDs-/261177611213

Man, US$8K is steep. And I can't even begin to imagine what it might cost to keep a machine like that in good working order over the years.

I like being able to play real machines, but for the price Pinball Arcade sure suits me fine. (And I was a supporter of both Kickstarters, so I didn't just buy it like normal on the stores...)

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's the table banners for table packs 05-08:

2NN5nDF.png

6nW1Tlo.png

tscqjx9.png

uSsk2VU.png

CJiHJhf.png

3TePpql.png

pu7FEyD.png

3EgkYBt.png

PSN still holding strong...for a little longer. The second Stern and Gottlieb tables finally added among all the Williams and Bally tables in these packs.

Shaneus graciously supplied screenshots for all 26 tables in 2048x1536 retina resolution, which I will be updating the screenshot links to include (you can see a sample of one in the Big Shot image link above for now). But why stop there? I'll throw up whatever other platforms' screens I can find and link to a gallery of images instead of just a single image, so it is easy to compare how the various tables look - sometimes the difference between the 360/PS3 version and the mobile version is pretty surprising.

Those banners look great!

I'm getting a lot better at Attack From Mars. Broke my personal best 3 times yesterday. I like that games on this go a lot quicker than most tables. A good score on Medieval Madness takes like 5 times as long to get. I think with a little more practice I can really go ham on this one.

Shaneus

Spent some time with Big Shot and TNG last night. Felt good as a way to decompress from playing through the middle of Bioshock Infinite.

Meanwhile a retailer near my area is selling TNG retrofitted with LEDs, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-T...ball-Machine-FREE-SHIPPING-LEDs-/261177611213

Man, US$8K is steep. And I can't even begin to imagine what it might cost to keep a machine like that in good working order over the years.

I like being able to play real machines, but for the price Pinball Arcade sure suits me fine. (And I was a supporter of both Kickstarters, so I didn't just buy it like normal on the stores...)
There's something that kind of rubs me the wrong way about old machines that have been retrofitted with LED kits. There's a nice, warm, soft glow that come from globes that always comes off as far too bright and focused, at least in videos. TBH if it was mine and it came with LEDs, I'd actually go out of my way to put globes back in, even though it means I'd have to replace them infinitely more often.

Oh shit, would totally buy this one though. But if I had to pick one table to buy for my own personal use, price being no object... I don't know what I'd choose. Probably Taxi or Funhouse. I'd be tempted to add F-14 as well, but I haven't played any version of it so I could well not like it (though that's doubtful!).

Shaneus

What platform and score? How did you cope with that shitty little bump that sometimes appears at the end of the left orbit?

What platform and score? How did you cope with that shitty little bump that sometimes appears at the end of the left orbit?

PS3, 129 billion. I just hold the flipper up when the ball is coming down from an orbit. I never really noticed a bump but that tends to keep the ball safe.

What does the bump do? Send the ball to the center or the side?

Starting to think at this point if I want to play this game I'll have to rebuy on PSN rather than wait for that steam release or for the 360 situation to unjam itself.

Shaneus

PS3, 129 billion. I just hold the flipper up when the ball is coming down from an orbit. I never really noticed a bump but that tends to keep the ball safe.

What does the bump do? Send the ball to the center or the side?
I'd never experienced it before yesterday, but apparently it was a massive issue prior to the last table update on iOS and now it only happens every so often (or the kick isn't as big, depending how you interpret the anecdotes).

kNJcMiG.png

When it happened to me (on more than one occasion) it kicked the ball out where the pink dot is, just enough to go right between the flippers. It might not have been on all platforms, I'm not sure... but it seems like a design thing that would be across all versions and not just the iOS one.

I'd never experienced it before yesterday, but apparently it was a massive issue prior to the last table update on iOS and now it only happens every so often (or the kick isn't as big, depending how you interpret the anecdotes).

When it happened to me (on more than one occasion) it kicked the ball out where the pink dot is, just enough to go right between the flippers. It might not have been on all platforms, I'm not sure... but it seems like a design thing that would be across all versions and not just the iOS one.

Hmm, can't say I've experienced that. The ball pretty much only goes down the middle if I make a mistake.

whoops double post, whatever

Shaneus

Starting to think at this point if I want to play this game I'll have to rebuy on PSN rather than wait for that steam release or for the 360 situation to unjam itself.
All indications are that the game will be on PC VERY soon. I believe "before the end of May" was mentioned on the PAF forum at one stage.

Hmm, can't say I've experienced that. The ball pretty much only goes down the middle if I make a mistake.

whoops double post, whatever
May not have been on all versions then. I didn't pay much attention to it's occurrences because it hadn't affected me up to that point.

All indications are that the game will be on PC VERY soon. I believe "before the end of May" was mentioned on the PAF forum at one stage.

I have a dreadful feeling that this 'PC' version that's coming so soon will be Windows 8 only. If it was coming to steam they'd say it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Table packs 09-12 (that's all of them!):

AdPGyaP.png

GWD0Pam.png

tZzlBpI.png

HbePj3y.png

JZZG1VE.png

hEv2lrf.png

60FjG7n.png

PSN finally dies out... and Central Park takes the crown for oldest table in the game, I didn't realize it was from 1966 until I looked it up for the banner myself.

And a key (just in case it's not completely obvious):
nlD6rd4.png

Also, updated the above banners in this post to link to image galleries of various platforms instead of a single screen. I'll throw in more screens as I find them / they release on more platforms.

Here's a nice example of a high-res 360 shot vs iPad shot, in No Good Gofers. You can see the ramp is transparent on the 360, and in a lot of other shots above the 360/PS3 versions have much more detailed lighting and are generally less lit than the mobile versions (I guess to emphasis the lighting effects). Should be nice getting even better lighting in the future.

Next to update all the earlier image links to galleries, then sort out the rest of the info/layout for the OP... hopefully get it all set sometime next week.

Top Bottom