• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve at Twilight Zone? I'm just so bad at it. My top score is only something like 320 million. =/

Get good at the Slot Machine and Player Piano shots, since those will give you door frames when lit. The ramps relight those. You can get a combo by shooting both ramps consecutively, so do that when you need to relight stuff. The Camera shot is good for multiball so learn that too. Also the left inlane lights a temporary bonus thing on the right spiral shot (the one that goes into the gumball machine) so get that when you can.

Also you can stack a lot of the modes, so like if you get the Town Square mode or whatever, you can shoot the slot machine and run something else like one of the Clock modes at the same time.

And this might just be how I do it, but I don't really bother playing a lot of the modes besides the clock ones, multiball, and sometimes the spiral mode. I start the other modes up but then I just continue playing normally, because it's not worth risking a bad bounce trying to get a few extra points.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Get good at the Slot Machine and Player Piano shots, since those will give you door frames when lit. The ramps relight those. You can get a combo by shooting both ramps consecutively, so do that when you need to relight stuff. The Camera shot is good for multiball so learn that too. Also the left inlane lights a temporary bonus thing on the right spiral shot (the one that goes into the gumball machine) so get that when you can.

Alright, thanks! I'll work on those shots.

Also, I might be exposing just how terrible I am at pinball here, but there's nothing like that feeling when your highest score on Medieval Madness is ~18 million, then you rack up 55.5 million on your first ball. Man that felt awesome. :D

(It felt less awesome when I only got 15 million more total on the next four balls, but hey, I'll take it!)

Also, I might be exposing just how terrible I am at pinball here, but there's nothing like that feeling when your highest score on Medieval Madness is ~18 million, then you rack up 55.5 million on your first ball. Man that felt awesome. :D

(It felt less awesome when I only got 15 million more total on the next four balls, but hey, I'll take it!)

Hell yeah

Shaneus

Nothing like completely fucking nailing a good first ball run, thinking you've got an insane total in the bag... then completely fuck up the next two :/

Something for the Ritchie fans: I only just found out today about a podcast called A Life Well Wasted, and there's an episode that has a lengthy, fascinating interview with Steve Ritchie himself. Keep in mind it's from 2009 so there may be one or two little things that are out of date (he mentions his hearing issue and that he'll apparently be deaf in 3-4 years, but I believe he's still doing alright now, he also mentions being unable to find work, but he's since done AC/DC) but it really is quite touching and interesting. Even if you aren't a fan of his tables, it's worth a listen for an interesting insight into the industry and it's growth over the last 35 years or so.

Shaneus

Bug them on Facebook and also on PAF. I think they're just disorganised in getting back to people, not actively avoiding them (if that helps).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man what the hell is going on with me and this game lately? :lol Yesterday it was Medieval Madness, today it's Ripley's. My old high score was like ~9 million. Now I have 22 million and three extra balls and I'm still on my first ball. What.

EDIT: 53,600,220 final score. Should have done WAY better considering I had like five extra balls, but eh. Not complaining when I managed to completely blow away my old high score like that. :D

Man what the hell is going on with me and this game lately? :lol Yesterday it was Medieval Madness, today it's Ripley's. My old high score was like ~9 million. Now I have 22 million and three extra balls and I'm still on my first ball. What.

EDIT: 53,600,220 final score. Should have done WAY better considering I had like five extra balls, but eh. Not complaining when I managed to completely blow away my old high score like that. :D

I've played it once since the latest patch (PS3) and doubled my score on Arabian Nights. Some bug had also removed the four wizard goals I had completed but I got all five of them in that one game as well.

Did they make it easier somehow?

I've played it once since the latest patch (PS3) and doubled my score on Arabian Nights. Some bug had also removed the four wizard goals I had completed but I got all five of them in that one game as well.

Did they make it easier somehow?

Some of the tables got updated physics in the patch (I don't remember if Arabian Nights is one of them), and they removed a glitch game-wide that would sometimes make the ball fall directly through the flipper.

I was in NYC today and stopped by Two Bits Retro Arcade. They had a Funhouse, The Addams Family, Theatre of Magic, An Indiana Jones, a Junkyard, and surprisingly a Wizard of Oz. Oz was really hard, and it had no ball saver. I think I drained three times in less than three minutes on my first play. It was still great to play some real tables, and really great to play a new table that looks so damn cool even if the gameplay is a bit too brutal.

The flippers on Addams Family were a tad weak, but it was great to play that one again for the first time in ages. Theater of Magic played great.

Oh, they also had both Pinball 2000 tables, but I didn't touch those. I've played them both a lot before.

Within the next week, we'll be going to Salem, MA, and I understand there's an arcade there with a few tables. They've got a Creature from the Black Lagoon. That I'm really eager to spend some time with!

Shaneus

Nice. Was that the Williams Indy or the Stern Indy?

Didn't realise Wizard of Oz was out, either. Did you find the LCD distracting at all? Would you say the distraction level (or over-reliance on the LCD for status over sounds and the playfield) is comparable to DMDs as DMDs are to alpha-numeric tables? By that I mean, I've always felt that with DMDs, a few designers/programmers sometimes sometimes got lazy in how play information was delivered. Rather than having certain sounds and things like drop targets, playfield lights etc. indicating your game progression, I felt they used the DMD as a jack-of-all-trades to communicate info, which isn't bad except that in rare cases (CV) you have to lift your focus from the table to absorb the info. I'd imagine that a full LCD screen would be even more of a distraction on top of that.

*deep breath*

Nice. Was that the Williams Indy or the Stern Indy?

Didn't realise Wizard of Oz was out, either. Did you find the LCD distracting at all? Would you say the distraction level (or over-reliance on the LCD for status over sounds and the playfield) is comparable to DMDs as DMDs are to alpha-numeric tables? By that I mean, I've always felt that with DMDs, a few designers/programmers sometimes sometimes got lazy in how play information was delivered. Rather than having certain sounds and things like drop targets, playfield lights etc. indicating your game progression, I felt they used the DMD as a jack-of-all-trades to communicate info, which isn't bad except that in rare cases (CV) you have to lift your focus from the table to absorb the info. I'd imagine that a full LCD screen would be even more of a distraction on top of that.

*deep breath*

Stern, sadly. Oz had a lot of distractions, but mainly I was just trying to take it all in. The playfield LEDs can go any color, so different modes are pretty obvious from those. I didn't look at the lcd screen much, but even then I drained a lot because I was looking at lights or toys or something!

I did a bit of research and apparently they are piloting Oz at that arcade. They had a big Jersey Jack Pinball fluorescent light in the front window that I noticed on the way out. Cool arcade all in all.

Shaneus

Ooh, I like the idea of multi-coloured LEDs. I guess that would be one of the first machines designed solely with using LEDs from the beginning (as opposed to globes, obviously).

First post in here :)

Finally managed to play all the Illusions in Theatre of Magic (glad you don't have to complete them on that table!), and also trigger the Grand Finale! Ended up with what i thought was a decent score but the worldwide leader board quickly put me back in my place!

MRsq0H1.jpg

Soup Bar

So I went to the Midwest Gaming Classic in Brookfield WI today and some Farsite people were there. They let people play any table they made or making so far, on the 360. So I got to play Twilight Zone and TNG and they felt great. They really seem bummed out that the new tables aren't out on 360, but he did say it's coming to Steam sooner rather than later. I must have been talking with them for an hour about various tables, how Gary Stern is a bad ass player, and how they stole the design of this table Galvatron to make Flight 2000. I also played a real Cirqus Voltaire. That table is amazing.

Shaneus

So I went to the Midwest Gaming Classic in Brookfield WI today and some Farsite people were there. They let people play any table they made or making so far, on the 360. So I got to play Twilight Zone and TNG and they felt great. They really seem bummed out that the new tables aren't out on 360, but he did say it's coming to Steam sooner rather than later. I must have been talking with them for an hour about various tables, how Gary Stern is a bad ass player, and how they stole the design of this table Galvatron to make Flight 2000. I also played a real Cirqus Voltaire. That table is amazing.
Wow, that's a great little post you've made there! It really does pain me to hear that the 360 is the lead platform but they can't release anything on it... and people blame them, as if FS don't want the money from 360 sales.

Once the Steam version comes out (glad there's something on the cards! Any idea on the definition of "sooner"? ;) ) I'd probably still stick with the 360 one as well, it's just that much easier to power up the console, grab the pad and play on a big TV.

Hope the Steam version is Steamworks, though. If they could somehow merge both FS leaderboards and Steam... hell yeah.

Soup Bar

I think they said as late as two months, but that's nothing official. Also on the banner, they confirmed Pinball arcade is coming out for PS4, but they wouldn't elaborate if they are doing everything form scratch or they are just porting the old tables over.

The other thing he said about Gary Stern and being good at pinball was when he played Creature of the Black Lagoon. It wasn't how high his score was, but how quickly he could get it there. He pretty much can keep the ball in the whirl cup forever.

I was told another story about how the artist for Attack from Mars by accident put corn on the armor of the aliens.

WOqtUUi.jpg

I don't really see it, but Scared Stiff does reference it on the back glass on the lower right hand corner.

I should also mention, they are trying 3D on the Ps3 version and I didn't like it at all. Seems way to distracting for a pinball game.

First post in here :)

Finally managed to play all the Illusions in Theatre of Magic (glad you don't have to complete them on that table!), and also trigger the Grand Finale! Ended up with what i thought was a decent score but the worldwide leader board quickly put me back in my place!

Nice score! Welcome to the discussion. :)

Shaneus

I think they said as late as two months, but that's nothing official. Also on the banner, they confirmed Pinball arcade is coming out for PS4, but they wouldn't elaborate if they are doing everything form scratch or they are just porting the old tables over.

The other thing he said about Gary Stern and being good at pinball was when he played Creature of the Black Lagoon. It wasn't how high his score was, but how quickly he could get it there. He pretty much can keep the ball in the whirl cup forever.

I was told another story about how the artist for Attack from Mars by accident put corn on the armor of the aliens.

WOqtUUi.jpg

I don't really see it, but Scared Stiff does reference it on the back glass on the lower right hand corner.

I should also mention, they are trying 3D on the Ps3 version and I didn't like it at all. Seems way to distracting for a pinball game.
I can't see the corn specifically, but the muscles all kinda look like it. Great reference to throw in on Scared Stiff, though! I love a lot of those little easter eggs in games. I obviously don't know all of them, but this is my favourite that I know about:
Indiana Jones minecart easter egg

Shaneus

It needs to be super subtle. Given that on a real machine the furthest you're ever looking forward is what, 9-10ft, there's never much difference in perception between what's closer and what's further away (compared to things like movies and live-action TV etc.). I hope they get it right, because while I know my TV can dial 3D down (or amplify it) I don't trust it as much as if it was done right in software from the get go.

VALIS

From the PA group on Steam

FarSight is optimistic that the long awaited PC version of The Pinball Arcade will be available for purchase by the end of May...more details to come following GDC 2013.

Thanks PiN WiZ! This is from the Latest News and Info thread on the Pinball Arcade Fan Forum. I will post another announcement as soon as the event ends. I will also probably make an event when TPA fully launches on Steam.

So, it sounds like it's finally happening.

I really hope they can get a bunch of tables out in a hurry so the PC version isn't lagging behind the others too badly in terms of new releases.

Shaneus

I really hope they can get a bunch of tables out in a hurry so the PC version isn't lagging behind the others too badly in terms of new releases.
Fuuuuuck YES. Although the language they use, it doesn't necessarily mean Steam. I wonder if it's that "sell it through our own website" thing they mentioned? And if so... how did they pull off the copy protection thing required?

I have placed my wallet in front of my monitor and uttered the word 'soon' with a tumescent urgency.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fuuuuuck YES. Although the language they use, it doesn't necessarily mean Steam. I wonder if it's that "sell it through our own website" thing they mentioned? And if so... how did they pull off the copy protection thing required?

Well just look back to your earlier post, and given that they're meeting with Valve around the same time, it'd be strange if the news wasn't about Steam. The only two places they've ever shown interest in pursuing are the Windows 8 store and Steam... i'd be surprised if they announced a PC release elsewhere. I'm also going to still be somewhat surprised if they confirm getting on to Steam, so looking forward to hearing the details in a few more weeks.

Shaneus

Well just look back to your earlier post, and given that they're meeting with Valve around the same time, it'd be strange if the news wasn't about Steam. The only two places they've ever shown interest in pursuing are the Windows 8 store and Steam... i'd be surprised if they announced a PC release elsewhere. I'm also going to still be somewhat surprised if they confirm getting on to Steam, so looking forward to hearing the details in a few more weeks.
Oh yeah, I remembered that. But they seem so sure about releasing it towards the end of May, it made me wonder whether they have a plan B just in case (which could be why they didn't mention "Steam" in that blurb from the PAF. If the Steam meeting doesn't go to plan, they have something else up their sleeve). I mean, in that interview they *did* mention they may be able to sell it on their site (third-party DRM maybe?) so it sounds like there's more than one option for them, which is good.

Oh yeah, I remembered that. But they seem so sure about releasing it towards the end of May, it made me wonder whether they have a plan B just in case (which could be why they didn't mention "Steam" in that blurb from the PAF. If the Steam meeting doesn't go to plan, they have something else up their sleeve). I mean, in that interview they *did* mention they may be able to sell it on their site (third-party DRM maybe?) so it sounds like there's more than one option for them, which is good.

yep, and I've never been more conflicted about which direction I'm going to go in. I picked up Zen on Wii U and those Wii U triggers are blissful for pinball, as is off screen play. But potential 3D on PC and my Surface and forwards compatibility... I wish I could choose.

Minsc

Gold Member
yep, and I've never been more conflicted about which direction I'm going to go in. I picked up Zen on Wii U and those Wii U triggers are blissful for pinball, as is off screen play. But potential 3D on PC and my Surface and forwards compatibility... I wish I could choose.

Then the PS4's rumored enhancements (including 3D) probably isn't making you feel better about going with Wii U.

The way I see it:

PS4:
++ best graphics
+ 3D support
+ Good update frequency (hopefully)
- probably need to re-buy or pay to upgrade tables if you want the PS4 improvements
- Not released

PC:
+ Second best looking version (possibly tied with PS4 if they bring over those features)
+ probably cabinet and 3D support
+ Best/Good update frequency
- Not released

Wii U:
+ Good graphics
+ Good update frequency
+/- Dot Matrix Display on Wii U controller
- Not released

PS3/Vita:
+ Graphics can be hit or miss, but should generally be good if not for issues
+ 3D support for PS3
+ Purchases good for both systems
+/- Good table release frequency, bad bug fixing restrictions
- Some lag with controls?

360:
+ Good graphics
+ Lead platform, tables play the best here
-- Horrible update frequency and rules

iPad/iPhone:
+/- Graphics not that great
- Touch controls (can use iCade though)

Android/Kindle:
- Touch controls

Mac:
- Good update frequency

3DS:
+ 3D support
- Missing tables
- Not released

joeblow

PS3/Vita:
+ Graphics can be hit or miss, but should generally be good if not for issues
+ 3D support for PS3
+/- Good table release frequency, bad bug fixing restrictions
- Some lag with controls?
A respected member of the Pinball Arcade forum met with the developers at a pinball event over the weekend. He reports that Farsight has found the lag issue and expects it to be patched soon and sent to Sony for approval. He also says that the upcoming 3D support on the PS3 looked amazing. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Perhaps pinball developers just suck at QA in general. I updated Zen today, "iPhone 5 support" and first thing that happens when I launch it is a crash at the logo screens. Try again, another crash. Apparently their testing was so good, this new version crashes on every single device their app is run on that has the Paranormal table installed on the device (not just iPhone 5). Says a lot that the devs don't even keep their own tables on their hardware lol. They make FarSight look good having it crash like that!

I don't think the PC would ever be not the best looking? Depends on how they scale their programming, I guess.

Well, they've said before the PC version is on par graphically (or slightly better) than the 360 version. Remember too that they only have 8800GT GPUs, which are quite outdated and likely not powerful enough to run the effects mentioned when they talked about PS4 support (which was the very first time they talked about the features):

We are super excited about this. Pinball Arcade looks really nice on PS3, but just wait until you see it on PS4! We’ll be adding rendering tech for per pixel ray casting, area lights/shadows, point lights and screen space ambient occlusion (which is a fancy way to say even more shadows). We’re very confident that we can add all of these features on the PS4 and maintain the smooth 60 fps that you need in a pinball game.

If those things were on the PC, I'd imagine they'd have hinted at them earlier (all they've mentioned is HDR lighting). And given we may see the PC version by May (lol) and the PS4 is probably Nov/Dec, there's a good chance they aren't ready for the PC version anyway, and would be exclusive to the PS4 for a little while, since all their platforms require coding for separately... they can't just put the 360 tables on the PS3 or vice-versa. They eluded to this when working on the lighting, the platforms have to have lighting done from scratch, they can't use the others' lighting and carry it over. You'd think they'd use tools that allow them to make a master version and have it automatically generate builds for other platforms, but I don't get the impression that is the case.

The way I see it:

for me, I see an extra + in off TV play for the Wii U version, which I use a lot on the games that support it... and I see an extra plus in the PC version for never becoming obsolete as the 360 and PS3 versions look like they might be about to, and I'm not confident in believing the Wii U is going to be around in 3 years.

I'd expect PS4 tables to work on vita though, even if previous vita/PS3 sales don't work on PS4.

Also, there's a slim chance the windows store version will have RT support, bringing the tables over to my tablet (and hopefully being better optimised for it than the Zen tables are). Comparing Zen on Wii U vs Windows store version, I definitely prefer the Wii U version, but then 3D isn't an option and the tables work badly on my surface.

I've waited this long to decide which version to buy everything on. I figure I can keep waiting a bit longer.

Shaneus

Taxi is such a chill table.

You give to me ride!
I love the "Hey!" at the end of Gorbachev little ditty. It's such a fun, dinky little game. Doesn't take itself seriously at all, good design, some tricky little shots but also those M. Ritchie trademark crossovers, the cute music... ugh, love it. I think if I could pick any table as my first one, it'd be that.

The physics in PS3 Medieval Madness are completely different from 360 Medieval Madness. I have to learn the angles all over again. Also the flippers are a different color and the lighting is all different. WHY

Every other game company just releases the exact same game on PS3 and 360, and at most maybe the framerate or the textures are a little different. Farsight just has to do their own thing I guess.

Edit: Fuck these are slow motion low gravity moon physics with molasses on the table and the game is in bullet time fuck I hate this version

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do the FS guys follow Twitter?
I'd want to point out how infuriating It is that some tables perform better on freakin' ancient iPad1 than the iPadMini (ToTAN is a great example, pretty poor on both platforms but absolutely ridiclous how bad it runs on iPad Mini). I've always been sure about such discrepancies and talked about it before itt, but man I just had them run simultaneously on both devices and unfortunately my guesses were spot on -_-

Shaneus

I'd want to point out how infuriating It is that some tables perform better on freakin' ancient iPad1 than the iPadMini (ToTAN is a great example, pretty poor on both platforms but absolutely ridiclous how bad it runs on iPad Mini). I've always been sure about such discrepancies and talked about it before itt, but man I just had them run simultaneously on both devices and unfortunately my guesses were spot on -_-
They're pretty good on both Facebook and pinballarcadefans.com (their official unofficial forum). Pretty sure they don't (really) monitor Twitter or YouTube.

The physics in PS3 Medieval Madness are completely different from 360 Medieval Madness. I have to learn the angles all over again. Also the flippers are a different color and the lighting is all different. WHY

Every other game company just releases the exact same game on PS3 and 360, and at most maybe the framerate or the textures are a little different. Farsight just has to do their own thing I guess.

Edit: Fuck these are slow motion low gravity moon physics with molasses on the table and the game is in bullet time fuck I hate this version
In that 360 is better than PS3? Maybe it's to do with the version differences and once they update the 360 one it'll be the same. I hope not, but I guess it's a possibility.

joeblow

I don't think the 360 received the physics update a few months ago. That could explain the change. People used to complain that parts of MM was too fast, especially when the ball gets shot back from the damsel tower on the right side.

Since the update, that has slowed down and it is easier to trap the ball without it ricocheting off the flipper too fast. It still seems faster to me than the Williams version released back in the day.

I have a complaint on another table. While Attack from Mars is a ton of fun, I don't understand the crazy physics of the table at times. For instance, when the ball returns towards you from the right orbit, sometimes it goes gently towards the right flipper and other times it hits some invisible bump that forces it to swerve towards the flipper gap.

A similar thing happens with a weak hit into the lock loop in the left middle of the board. If the ball comes back, it sometimes makes a weird 45 degree cut to the right to send it towards the outlane.

Other than that, I love the table.

Shaneus

The bump has been on all versions (is that the one off the left orbit?) and has been fixed in the iOS/Android releases (apparently it's still there, but is nowhere near as bad as it was, and doesn't hit it all the time anymore).

joeblow

Well, it shouldn't happen at all. In one game where I was about ~20 bumpers away from being able to activate the final Ruler of the Universe mode before the game ended, I lost two balls because of the crazy invisible bump glitch. Hopefully they are still working on it.

Shaneus

Oh, I agree. I can't remember if they said it was removed completely or not or if they were still working on it, but I do recall that it was discussed on those forums.

Don't be afraid to head on over there and have a look. There's generally some great discussions that go on, and every so often one of the Farsight guys pops their head up! It's pretty much also where any news surfaces about the game that may not be deemed by FS to be email/Facebook-worthy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man what the fuck.

I was playing TOTAN, beat the Genie, rescued the Princess, then...the game just stopped. It said "Player 1 Keep Shooting" like it normally does after you beat the Genie, but...nothing happened. The ball never came out.

Thanks Farsight. I was on a really good run too. Ball 2 with two extra balls stocked. Definitely would have beaten my high score. =/

Yah my iPad 3 stutters on some of the games even..

Top Bottom