• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Yeah, as most expected, we have an update:

So it was the beta users like I thought that got today's release build to start, and that's why no one else could find it. Guess I can't go buying anything just yet then, but at least I can launch the game and try out the included TotAN.

why the hell did I forget my Vita today? I'm glad I was only planning to check out the PC version, rather than buying everything. I've been in a holding pattern since last August. I love this game. I hate all the waiting. Remember when the Wii U version was meant to come out near launch of that system last year?

Yeah.

This game is really good, isn't it?
I've got Zen Pinball, Zen Pinball 2, Pinball Heroes and this one and this game has by far the best ball physics of them all. Although I also REALLY like the new updated Pinball Heroes on the Vita. Zen Pinball has the best graphics but a bit unrealistic ball physics.

Although I still have a weak spot in my hart for Tristan, a great PC pinball game from years ago that was so good because it relatively simpel (less is more). Anyone who still can remember this one?

images

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game is really good, isn't it?
I've got Zen Pinball, Zen Pinball 2, Pinball Heroes and this one and this game has by far the best ball physics of them all. Although I also REALLY like the new updated Pinball Heroes on the Vita. Zen Pinball has the best graphics but a bit unrealistic ball physics.

Although I still have a weak spot in my hart for Tristan, a great PC pinball game from years ago that was so good because it relatively simpel (less is more). Anyone who still can remember this one?

images

Zen Pinball 2 is a fun game to play as an arcade pinball game, but the physics are miserable. I'm convinced that nudging doesn't work on the Vita. I never even realized how useful nudging was until I started to post crazy scores on Pinball Arcade. On top of that, the way the ball reacts in Zen to either flipper hits or ramps is just too unbelievable.

Shaneus

Well, shit.
CnzOfbi.png

Four-day weekend here in (Melbourne) Australia for some of us as well :( Sucks, wanted to have it to play this weekend, now I can't even play the beta. Boo.

I'll survive, I have the ultimate in home pinball anyway :D

And this, just now:
Mike Reitmeyer said:
I got the pricing fixed, but our Steam rep is in Europe (I still don't understand why), so they stopped responding to my emails about 4 hours ago. I don't have a new date or time from them yet.

Sorry about the delays. I'm quite angry myself.
:( Hopefully we can get something today, but it doesn't sound like it. Again, Steam with stupid, shitty policies (and people that can't be contacted when need be... you'd think they'd have someone on tap for a game launch).

microtubule

Good job on the reply Shaneus!

I am really bummed but so used to this already with the X360 fumbles and my $70 bucks lives to see another day.

Steam with stupid, shitty policies (and people that can't be contacted when need be... you'd think they'd have someone on tap for a game launch).

When it's farsight to blame (awful UI, buggy tables etc) we should blame farsight.

But this clearly isn't their fault.

Brashnir

And yet again, Farsight fails to deliver, and blames the platform for their own problems.

How do thousands of games come out on Steam every year with no currency issues, and yet they manage to screw it up?

And yet again, Farsight fails to deliver, and blames the platform for their own problems.

How do thousands of games come out on Steam every year with no currency issues, and yet they manage to screw it up?

when have they done this before?

and those thousands of other games aren't forced into this bizarre secondary payment system.

here's a question for you. what is $0 in pounds?

Brashnir

when have they done this before?

and those thousands of other games aren't forced into this bizarre secondary payment system.

here's a question for you. what is $0 in pounds?

Back when they repeatedly blamed Microsoft for their inability to release an update that would clear cert on the 360.

0 pounds.

This game was supposed to come out in July. It will apparently take them a week to fix it. You're telling me that there was no time between then and now that they could have identified this issue and fixed it? They've repeatedly shown themselves to be unprepared, unknowledgable of the rules of the platforms they're releasing on, and basically incompetent when it comes to everything except emulating pinball tables. The fact that they make a really great game is the only reason I'm still interested in this game despite their complete inability to deliver a product.

vg260

I think their choice of words may be causing some confusion. When they say Steam "failed us", they could be meaning Steam "rejected" or "flunked" them today, not necessarily that Steam failed them as in let them down.

I think their choice of words may be causing some confusion. When they say Steam "failed us", they could be meaning Steam "rejected" or "flunked" them today, not necessarily that Steam failed them as in let them down.

yeah. I read it as 'the reason our submission failed was because of foreign currency stuff. we tried to fix it, but account manager for some reason is on European time, so we were hosed.'

kramer

images

Yep, you can get Tristran and another pinball game from the same company, Crystal Caliburn II, on iOS. V. good they are too.

I've been playing Pinball FX2 with the Dual Shock 4. Seriously, even if you're playing on PC, I recommend this pad for pinball. The shoulder buttons are an improvement on the 360 controller.

Unless you've got one of those cool pinball controllers, this is the way to go.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I've been playing Pinball FX2 with the Dual Shock 4. Seriously, even if you're playing on PC, I recommend this pad for pinball. The shoulder buttons are an improvement on the 360 controller.

Unless you've got one of those cool pinball controllers, this is the way to go.

Pinball controllers? Are there any compatible with X360?
Is the PS3 version of TPA still botched upscaled at 1080p (and even at 720p still a bit laggy anyway) or they've finally fixed it?

Brashnir

I know people online have made custom ones for the 360. But I'm talking about things like this:

pw-product.jpg

http://www.ntekgaming.com/pinball-wizard.php

$300. Can't say I'm not tempted.

How does nudging work on one of those? Are the second flipper buttons mapped to that? I assume they'd be used for Magna-save on tables equipped with such features, so that would make such a setup tricky. I don't see any accelerometers in the description for it.

If it's just the side buttons, you could easily drill holes in the sides of any arcade stick and move buttons there. Moving the plunger would be trickier.

edit - now that I think about it, I have side buttons on the controls for my MAME cabinet, so I guess I could play TPA on there with those when the PC version finally comes out.

Shaneus

Sweet, looks like there's a live stream of Stern's Star Trek starting NOW!!!

LOL, it's just started with Bowen doing a tute on Data East's Star Trek and some guy in the background saying "That's the wrong game!"

Shaneus

This is so weird... in the stream chat, I'm chatting with Roy Wils. So, so bizarre (and really cool!). He's currently #17 in the world, was in an interview on a recent Pinball Soul podcast.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i remember the deep burning injustice in my heart from seeing this game repeatedly fail to make the green light cut and i have the letters to my MP to prove it. i felt bad for these guys.

that feeling has long been lost in a wash of broken dreams and petulant frustration.

c'mon guys. stop playing around now.

Any news on this coming to the Xbox One?

No news. I'm sure Farsight are waiting to see what the rules are for indie developers before they announce anything. For all we know the rights issue on Xbox 360 could extend to the Xbox One (though it probably doesn't).

When Microsoft get around to giving indie devs the time of day (as they've promised they will sometime after launch) I'm sure we'll hear something.

Shaneus

Shame, looks like the post-processing STILL isn't fixed. My theory was that they were deliberately holding out on fixing it during the beta to give people incentive to buy the full game, but nope.

On the bright side, it looks like it automatically sorted me for my Kickstarter rewards with TNG and T2 :)

downloading. looking forwards to seeing how this looks in portrait mode, and to see what happens when I try to run it in 3D on either of my graphics cards (one NVidia, one AMD).

Shaneus

I don't believe 3D is *officially* supported yet? So whatever 3D it'd be, it'd be driver-based and not tested etc.

Let us know how you go.

I don't believe 3D is *officially* supported yet? So whatever 3D it'd be, it'd be driver-based and not tested etc.

Let us know how you go.

oh, naturally. I try basically everything on tridef and 3D vision. Although if memory serves me, tridef might not be working yet on windows 8.1

edit: yeah... so portrait mode is a no go. trying 3D once I finish this slice of pizza.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's finally out! :) Updated the banners in the OP to add the steam logo for released tables:

wptN6kx.jpg

They even snuck out Table Pack 19 on Steam as well, I thought it was supposed to be 01-18, now I have one more set of banners to update. :)

I tried Post Processing on again, and it's still a little pixelated, but I think I do prefer it over all now, it looks better than it used to. Makes the tables feel more alive with it on. Maybe leaving it in a 16:9 aspect ration instead of 16:10 will help further, will have to try that later.

Shaneus

Cool, steam version. My laptop isn't that powerful and I don't have a gamepad handy, but I'll try this version out.
I actually prefer this path that they've taken. Provide TotAN for free (hands-down the most complete, sought-after pack amongst the core tables) and without scoring limits, allow free trial play of all other tables (I think they've done that? Haven't tested). Couldn't think of a better way to get people into it.

I hope with the conversions they haven't screwed Australians over... yet to check the prices.

3D works on Nvidia cards! You have to disable ball reflections though (if you have them on the ball just goes a dull grey colour). The default convergence isn't where I'd like it (and you can't adjust it), but it's totally playable. It's basically just a matter of how prone to cross talk your 3DTV is. mine is moderately prone to it, and you can see quite a lot.

Even so, it works and it looks pretty damn good. Time to see if tridef is any better or worse.

edit: yeah, trials are in.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Prices the same as other platforms? Arrghh so tempted to double-dip. PC at home and iOS on-the-go seems like the best combo...

Shaneus

Good to hear on the 3D, will have to give it a shot on my ATI setup soonish!

Just noticed trials, and it looks like Australians get the same pricing as the US (but I don't know if it's in USD or not... I assume it is).

I'm saddened to see that some of tables' graphics issues haven't been fixed... the two loop entrances on Taxi are still completely different colours:
gUJmiC0.png

argh

I think they need to take some time off between season packs two and three, and work on getting all the graphical issues right on some of their platforms. iOS generally seems to be okay and from what I understand PS3 isn't too bad, but Vita is a clusterfuck and the PC version looks all over the shop :/

Awesome. Downloading.

edit - Wow... big download for just one table. Or does the download include everything and you just unlock stuff when you buy?
Everything included... try playing a trial table, there's no download.

R1CHO

I now graphics are not the most important thing here... and to be honest the ball physics seem to be pretty good, but still; i am disappointed.

I though the idea behind this project was to make a faithful recreation of the machines, yet the textures in a lot of them are very bad, some stuff is very difficult to read.

The free table is actually pretty bad in that regard.

And not only the textures, the materials, reflections, lighting... everything is pretty bad, i was expecting something more for this pc version.

Am i crazy or wrong for thinking this way?

Jucksalbe

Banned
What happened to the WiiU version btw? Was that ever mentioned again? I should still get a Twilight Zone code if it ever releases.

Played a bunch of the tables on trial.

One unsurprising note, the hologram in Creature doesn't look 3D in stereoscopic 3D. I mean, I didn't really expect it to, but there it is.

This is really making holding off on buying all these on PC very hard, espescially since the PS4 version is only launching with season 1. I think if this HAD had portrait support I would have broken down and bought them all already.

Anyways, as promised, time to give this a shot with tridef.

I now graphics are not the most important thing here... and to be honest the ball physics seem to be pretty good, but still; i am disappointed.

I though the idea behind this project was to make a faithful recreation of the machines, yet the textures in a lot of them are very bad, some stuff is very difficult to read.

The free table is actually pretty bad in that regard.

And not only the textures, the materials, reflections, lighting... everything is pretty bad, i was expecting something more for this pc version.

Am i crazy or wrong for thinking this way?
You aren't. We're just used to these textures already in these threads. They still have high resolution photography to potentially increase the resolution. Reportedly that's happening on the PS4 versions (and partly why they're taking a bit longer).

Will those improvements end up on PC? That's a question we don't really know the answer to I don't think.

Top Bottom