• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

vg260

Good news for TPA, they won't miss steam's winter sales boost afterall (from PAF):

So you'll be able to gift season packs for a discounted price around the holidays hopefully, if Valve convinces FarSight to mark them down.

Sweet. I'll just get the season packs on the PS4 with the cross-discount and hope for a holiday sale for the PC.

arttq

Finally got all the trophies for this game on ps3 today (last goal was winning the ultimate challenge in the champion pub). I'm not going to buy any future tables on ps3 and I'll move on to either ps4 or pc.

They were just automatically there upon logging in to your FarSight account in the Steam version. I believe that's the trigger to getting them, they're given to the email that corresponds your kickstarter and farsight accounts together.

you misunderstand me. where do I direct a request to have my tables changed to the PC version from my original picks?

eh, screw it, I'll figure it out myself.

No word yet on PS4 / Vita crossbuy? I'm torn on what I'll do -- I love having both console and handheld available. Ideally it'd be PS3 / PS4 / Vita crossbuy but I know that won't happen. =)

vg260

No word yet on PS4 / Vita crossbuy? I'm torn on what I'll do -- I love having both console and handheld available. Ideally it'd be PS3 / PS4 / Vita crossbuy but I know that won't happen. =)

No PS4/Vita cross buy, but possible cross discount. See a few pages back .

if you have 4 or more table packs you can save (presumably) $15 on Season 1 on PS4 (although I don't know that they've confirmed season 1 at $30...). They have confirmed you save 50% off it, if you already own a season pack or 4 or more table packs.

So if you've already bought at least one PS3 table pack, you can buy more vita tables, without paying more overall. that's what I did! spent $15 on three new packs, to get me to the discount level.

No PS4/Vita cross buy, but possible cross discount. See a few pages back .

if you have 4 or more table packs you can save (presumably) $15 on Season 1 on PS4 (although I don't know that they've confirmed season 1 at $30...). They have confirmed you save 50% off it, if you already own a season pack or 4 or more table packs.

So if you've already bought at least one PS3 table pack, you can buy more vita tables, without paying more overall. that's what I did! spent $15 on three new packs, to get me to the discount level.

Ah, good to know -- yeah I already have both seasons on PS3/Vita so I'm set for all existing tables. Nice to know I can get the existing tables on the PS4 at a discount. Going forward, starting with Season 3, I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed -- I wonder if I can buy PS3 Season 3 (to get Vita) and then PS4 at a discount or is the deal just for the pre-PS4 launch Seasons?

So, I'll get the discounted Seasons 1 and 2 for PS4 no doubt, looking forward to those. Just not sure how to best get both PS4 and Vita tables for Season 3 and beyond (I'm not going to want PS3 beyond the two Seasons I already have).

Wow at the comments in the forums on Steam for this game. People are incredibly stupid. Pissed off at this for being free to play but the other tables cost money? Just, wow.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is it me or is the PC version much easier than the PSN version? I was able to get the super jets in Attack from Mars easily, which was a problem for me. I also got all the standard goals in Taxi on one play session.

I also got all the standard goals in Terminator 2, no problem.

Overall, I'm happy.

Is it me or is the PC version much easier than the PSN version? I was able to get the super jets in Attack from Mars easily, which was a problem for me. I also got all the standard goals in Taxi on one play session.

I also got all the standard goals in Terminator 2, no problem.

Overall, I'm happy.

higher resolution (or image quality). locked frame rate (unlike certain vita tables). no input/display lag if you're playing on a monitor.

it's kind of like how I get better scores on Pinball FX2 in portrait mode.

I just freed the genie. Feels good :)

Shaneus

Anyone know what the latest update fixes?

BTW With the announcement that season packs will be on the Steam storefront too, I'm almost tempted to wait for the... Winter (?) sale? Sadly with the US dollar being worth far too much in Australia, it costs me about 1/3 more for the packs.

Or I could just man up and pay full retail like a boss. Then the same again on PSN when it's out for PS4.

tmarg

If I buy the DLC for this game, will the game stay in my Steam game list (even if I uninstall he game)?

Every game/DLC you buy from Steam stays tied to your account forever.

Never mind, I misunderstood your question. Not sure really, I'm not familiar with any other games that do things the way PA is doing them.

Shaneus

There was a post in the PC forum at PAF with two images that illustrated the post processing option nicely, so I'll post them here too:

It should really make a difference when/if they implement the night mode down the road.

I missed it before too, but also noticed it was mentioned FarSight is going to be adding original tables to TPA down the road too... maybe when table selection starts wearing thin we'll see an original table paired with a real one? Not sure everyone would be happy with that, perhaps they'd just release a pack of two original tables.

As far as original pinball tables go, nothing really comes close to Pro Pinball, so my hopes aren't too high for these, but it sounds interesting to me anyway.
When they start running thin on table, there'll still be real tables people want them to do. Guarantee you of that.

Because it'll probably be me ;)

What's the word on running this in portrait mode? Future plans or not even discussed?

well, I tried it and it's all messed up currently. you'd think they'd have futures plans to support it since this version is going to get run on tablets. I haven't seen an actual quote though.

they have a virtua pin in the office that they ran STTNG on, so they've got to be aware of the importance of such a thing.

edit: an update downloaded this morning. now V1.19.4. I only had time to fire it up on my work PC to see if post processing was fixed on Intel HD integrated graphics. It wasn't.

nexen

Stupid question time: Does the Steam version automatically show your Steam friends on the leaderboards? Mine is empty and I can't tell if it is because none of my friends have posted scores yet or I need to do something to friend them through PA?

Also - is there any way to merge my PSN leaderboard entries with my Steam ones? Or abandon one or the other so they both feed to the same name?

jvm

Gamasutra.
PS4 release delayed...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710656

The PS4 launch lineup for the United States and Canada underwent a few changes recently, with some being very good, while others being not so good.

When it comes to Blacklight: Retribution and Trine 2: Complete Story, they have now officially been confirmed as launch titles on November 15th. For Blacklight: Retribution, the developers had always hoped to release it at launch, while Trine 2: Complete Story was just aiming for launch.

For some bad news, both Pinball Arcade from FarSight Studios and Tiny Brains from Spearhead Games have had their names crossed out from the launch list, with the FAQ now saying, “updated release info coming soon.” Considering both of these games are supposed to be launching before 2014, the delay should be miniscule, but we’ll let you know when we hear more.

Brashnir

Stupid question time: Does the Steam version automatically show your Steam friends on the leaderboards? Mine is empty and I can't tell if it is because none of my friends have posted scores yet or I need to do something to friend them through PA?

Also - is there any way to merge my PSN leaderboard entries with my Steam ones? Or abandon one or the other so they both feed to the same name?

You need to log into a Farsight account to see leaderboards at all. I have no idea what you get when you log into it, since I have no interest in creating yet another account for a game that shouldn't need one.

Game looks and runs beautifully on my PC... except there's a solid 1 second input lag that makes it entirely unplayable.

ouch. what control method are you using?

Bebpo

Banned
You need to log into a Farsight account to see leaderboards at all. I have no idea what you get when you log into it, since I have no interest in creating yet another account for a game that shouldn't need one.

Yeah, agreed.

What I did a loooong time ago on another forum was just having a thread leaderboard in the OP that goes by the honor system. OP has a list of each table and everyone's best score. I'm down to do that in a future post if the OP just wants to link to the post in the OP.

Or we could all figure out how the hell the leaderboards work and sign up and see if that works.

Shaneus

Well, that's me out of getting a PS4 at launch. Driveclub delay had me teetering, but TPA was the one thing still pushing me to get one.

No problems with that, I'm saving money!

ouch. what control method are you using?

Keyboard. If the ball is rolling down an inlane and I hit shift at the point the ball is in the middle of the flipper it'll drain down the middle.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Game looks and runs beautifully on my PC... except there's a solid 1 second input lag that makes it entirely unplayable.

Someone mentioned on Steam that he had this problem and solved it by lowering max pre-rendered frames in his graphics drivers.

Vyse24

Looks like the Steam version now has trading cards. Got T2, Centaur and The Champion Pub.

BTW my Steam name is Vyse2487. If you're gonna add me, lemme know who you are 1st.

Soup Bar

I doubt I can wait until winter sales for this. I played a handful of the tables in demo mode, and I'm probably going to buy one of the packs when I get paid. I've been waiting for so long to be able to play these tables, especially since some of the Farsight devs thought it was going to be out by May or so when I talked to them at Midwest Gaming Classic. I hope they get a handle on some of the bugs though. I forgot which table it was, but I hit the ball out of the table and then it respawned in the plunger, which was kind of funny actually.

Minsc

Gold Member
If I buy the DLC for this game, will the game stay in my Steam game list (even if I uninstall he game)?

The threads at the PAF forums indicate this to be the case, the items bought in game are showing up for people in their game's purchase history in steam, and they are able to restore the purchased tables through just steam on other computers.

I had that same lag and all I had to do was not run the game in fullscreen. I just went to the game options and turned on "Fullscreen Window" instead of Fullscreen and now there is no lag at all.
So it still looks like fullscreen but is actually a window I guess? Either way, there is zero lag now and it looks the same.

nexen

any Steam TPA players want to compare scores, add me:
I'm nexen.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nexens/

woo I just did 5 billion on medieval madness
except you.

I had that same lag and all I had to do was not run the game in fullscreen. I just went to the game options and turned on "Fullscreen Window" instead of Fullscreen and now there is no lag at all.
So it still looks like fullscreen but is actually a window I guess? Either way, there is zero lag now and it looks the same.

One of the things this causes is to disable vsync. You can't vsync a fullscreen window. It will also lower your frame rate. I lose about 5-7 fps with fullscreen windowed on Attack From Mars.

any Steam TPA players want to compare scores, add me:
I'm nexen.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nexens/

except you.

One of the things this causes is to disable vsync. You can't vsync a fullscreen window. It will also lower your frame rate. I lose about 5-7 fps with fullscreen windowed on Attack From Mars.

sent you a request, although I only have three tables and haven't put much time into any of them yet. It's nice to get a bit of context on scores.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/plagiarize/

for anyone who wants to add me. it'll make a nice change from all the people trying to buy my rare TF2 hats.

AcridMeat

Banned
BTW With the announcement that season packs will be on the Steam storefront too, I'm almost tempted to wait for the... Winter (?) sale? Sadly with the US dollar being worth far too much in Australia, it costs me about 1/3 more for the packs.
Where was this confirmed? As of right now there's no dlc on TPA's steam page. You only see the packs once you're in game. I was curious if they would be eligible for a steam sale or not.
Or we could all figure out how the hell the leaderboards work and sign up and see if that works.
I vote for this. It's not that big of a deal. When I was gettingmy PC version of TNG activated it's just an email and password for their website. It may be frustrating that you need it, but it's also so damn painless. Chances are they have most of our emails from the kickstarters anyway.

vg260

Where was this confirmed? As of right now there's no dlc on TPA's steam page. You only see the packs once you're in game. I was curious if they would be eligible for a steam sale or not.

I believe it was a developer post on the Steam forum that Steam approved just the season packs to be put up at some point.

I didn't know that... or notice it for that matter but i'm sure i would eventually on certain tables.. so what if I just choose windowed mode and just maximize it manually instead of using the fullscreen windowed option? Would that still disable vsync just because it's windowed or does only the fullscreen windowed option do that?

nexen

I didn't know that... or notice it for that matter but i'm sure i would eventually on certain tables.. so what if I just choose windowed mode and just maximize it manually instead of using the fullscreen windowed option? Would that still disable vsync just because it's windowed or does only the fullscreen windowed option do that?

both would disable vsync.

edit: vsync adds input lag, so if you hate the lag you probably want vsync disabled anyways.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the steam version even support friend leaderboards?

Yeah, this is my concern. After you sign up to their site, how does it find your friends? If it integrates your steam friends list that'd be painless and cool but I have a feeling that may be beyond the team's programming ability going by the state of the game so far.

if I have to manually create yet another friends list it's going be annoying >_<

and if there's no friends leader board filtering at all then what's the point.

nexen

Yeah, this is my concern. After you sign up to their site, how does it find your friends? If it integrates your steam friends list that'd be painless and cool but I have a feeling that may be beyond the team's programming ability going by the state of the game so far.

if I have to manually create yet another friends list it's going be annoying >_<

and if there's no friends leader board filtering at all then what's the point.

That company is weird.

Massively multiplatform engine? check.
Emulated roms? check.
High detail physics sim? check.
Working gui? fuck it, too hard.

jvm

Gamasutra.
That company is weird.

Emulated roms? check.
Ok, this made me laugh quite a bit. Thanks! I'll be chuckling about it for a while.

Brashnir

That company is weird.

Emulated roms? check.

Pretty much. Everything outside the part where you play pinball, it all seems to be cobbled together with bubblegum and duct tape.

In some ways, it almost has the feeling of some community hack project. Make the most important part work, and fuck the rest.

Top Bottom