• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher - The man. The legend. The maniac. Here's your primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's pieces of shit and then there's pieces of shit.

16301-22084.gif

KonradLaw

My favorite Marvel character. It will be weird watching Daredevil S2 and rooting for Frank instead of the damn main hero of the show :D

It's a little offtopic, but does Blade have some good runs in his comicbook history? Loved the movies (well..the first two at least), but never picked up the comics.

Collected editions 1 & 2 are said to be very good but I have not bought them either. A crossover with Blade & Punisher would be fantastic

4176899-7555026620-RoML3.jpg

I read the most interesting theory the other day. Why is the 2004 Punisher so different from the comic Punisher? Cause coincidentally, there was an FBI agent names Frank Castle whose son was a fan of the fictional Frank Castle, and after the real Frank Castle's family was murdered, he emulates his son's favourite hero in his search for revenge.

You have to ignore a lot of stuff in the movie, but it's interesting and helps explain the stupidly elaborate revenge plot he goes through

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I read the most interesting theory the other day. Why is the 2004 Punisher so different from the comic Punisher? Cause coincidentally, there was an FBI agent names Frank Castle whose son was a fan of the fictional Frank Castle, and after the real Frank Castle's family was murdered, he emulates his son's favourite hero in his search for revenge.

You have to ignore a lot of stuff in the movie, but it's interesting and helps explain the stupidly elaborate revenge plot he goes through

giphy.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I actually love Punisher 2004. Not even a guilty pleasure, I really think it's a super fun flick. The Punisher vs Harry Heck/The Russian are some of my favorite Marvel movie moments yet. And that theme!

Breads

Banned
Came into a topic not knowing anything about Punisher.

Saw Steve Dillon comic pages and Ariel Olivetti covers and what appears to be Punisher Snake.

Punisher seems legit.

ElTopo

Banned
I knew the character was in good hands but I didn't realize just how well Bernthal completely nails the character in a way that no one else has before.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Yeah, I don't wanna hear shit about Thomas Jane going forward.

I dunno. I thought he did the voice for the Punisher game really well. And I thought that youtube short was well done.

The weak point for him is the film, and I chalk that up to the misguided handling of the character rather than his performance. The portions where the film hewed closest to the comics--the Russian fight, the apartment dwellers--were probably the best parts.

I'd be downright giddy if he voiced a sequel to the game, and not entirely because I really liked that game. I doubt he's ever gonna get a chance to do another on-screen Punisher what with the Netflix deal anyway. And bankrolling youtube shorts doesn't seem all that profitable these days.

Finished 4 episodes and yeah it's a great punisher so far. Certainly the best of them easy despite how much I enjoyed the Warzone movie

Bernthals performance got me thinking of the dream cast list for the character tbh. Somebody who could nail that PTSD and tired face/persona while being extremely imposing

70s/early 80s DeNiro
Joaquin Phoenix
80s Stallone (he can be a good actor and bernthals punisher reminds me of first blood Rambo a lot)
Benicio Del Toro
Tom Hardy

Thats my list Forreal. I see all of them killing it

I don't think he should have a netflix series because they tend to wear out pretty damn thin with their episode count. But I'd kill for a couple miniseries of 5-6 episodes adapting ennis punisher max arcs.

And tbh after watching Bernthal im freaking glad frank grillo was already occupied with another role. He kinda has the look but that's it. I don't see him pulling off this unhinged mess that Bernthal did.

I like the Punisher, he's not one of my favorites but he's up there. I actually own a good quality Amazing Spider-Man #129, one of my personal favorites of my collection.

Also, I'm half way through Daredevil Season 2 and Bernthal's Punisher has been great so far. I really hope Marvel and Netflix make a Punisher series.

RangerX

Banned
Yeah I've been rereading Punisher Max and Bernthal is easily the greatest of the on screen incarnations. I don't think he'll ever be bested tbh. He was fucking masterful.

It sucks the MAX run isn't on Marvel Unlimited. I read it forever ago with copies from a friend but wanna reread it now. Guess I'll be buying the collections.

I finished reading all of Ennis' 2005 Max run. Got kind of boring towards the end because the stories are all the same. Also the art got worse once Barracuda was introduced.

Edit: I will say that the run made me realize how stupid Punisher in a universe of super powered beings is. He doesn't make sense in the regular Marvel universe.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm loving the character in Season 2 of DareDevil but it just makes me more anxious to see the spinoff show already.

So I started reading Punisher MAX thanks to this thread and just finished the "Kitchen Irish" arc and I have to ask, when does this get good? I don't normally read comics because I find that most of them are poorly written but every now and then something someone recommends comes close to "Watchmen" level greatness. But, right now this series seems to be pretty boring and not particularly well written in my opinion. I've just been reading Frank act like a sociopath and kill some equally psychotic super scummy bad guys in extremely gruesome detail.

Big deal? I'm not impressed by violence or grim-darkness or foul language, I want to know if there is actually a decent story somewhere within this run. Is there? Like, what kind of crap writing is this:

So I started reading Punisher MAX thanks to this thread and just finished the "Kitchen Irish" arc and I have to ask, when does this get good? I don't normally read comics because I find that most of them are poorly written but every now and then something someone recommends comes close to "Watchmen" level greatness. But, right now this series seems to be pretty boring and not particularly well written in my opinion. I've just been reading Frank act like a sociopath and kill some equally psychotic super scummy bad guys in extremely gruesome detail.

Big deal? I'm not impressed by violence or grim-darkness or foul language, I want to know if there is actually a decent story somewhere within this run. Is there? Like, what kind of crap writing is this:

Third arc, Mother Russia, is a badass action adventure story, but it introduces an important antagonist who comes into play later. Fourth arc, Up is Down Black is White, is where the writing gets really compelling, at least for me. From there on it's pretty awesome, though the Barracuda storyline is divisive, but it's worth it for another arc that pays off down the line.

Sojgat

First two arcs are the weakest, but they set up some recurring characters. Didn't love them myself either. Felt the last arc was Eisner worthy though. Punisher: Born mini series is required reading to get the most out of it.

I saw the punisher in daredevil and he's OK. So far my favorite punisher adaption is punisher war zone.

Older, weathered, not too attractive. Just a marathon of badass. He's yet to be topped.

nded

Can anyone corroborate the idea that Garth Ennis used to envision Rutger Hauer while writing his Punisher scripts, because Rutger would have been old enough to be a Vietnam veteran, but also still able to deliver the business to criminals and pull off an Ennis quote afterwards.

I swear Ennis said this at some point, but a quick search shows me saying this same thing on a different forum, =(

I can't corroborate this, but you did remind me of Rutger Hauer in Hobo With a Shotgun playing what is basically an alternate universe Punisher.

Edit: Tom Jane was Rutger's son-in-law for a while though. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom