• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher - The man. The legend. The maniac. Here's your primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus phoenix has that brow that shadows over his eyes. Could get some cool ass shots of him as the punisher for sure

Yeah he could pull off the iconic Bradstreet Punisher cover look pretty nicely.

And yeah, it could definitely never happen. Although Marvel are clearly ok with stuff like Daredevil and Punisher getting dark and violent, I don't think they would ever hand over full creative control to someone like Villeneuve sadly

I love Checchetto's Punisher. Him being similar to Snake/Big Boss helps a lot.
3482174-punisher13_big1-300x412.jpg

Punished Snake.

God, I love this thread!! :D

Cth

I wouldn't mind seeing a thread like this every month spotlighting a new character in all the ways Punisher's been done so far.

Love the Punisher, but find it odd that I didn't like at all the Solid Snake Punisher run like everyone else seemed too. He looked cool... but the stories were shit.

Mudcrab

Great op, ntgyk. Do feel that you should've added Fury: My War Gone By to the op, tho, given how tied at the hip it is to Punisher Max, and how effective it is at answering the very simple question of "What would happen to Frank if he could lie to himself about what he does?"

Plus it's, like, the best thing Ennis ever wrote.

Frank's in it for 5 minutes but it feels utterly essential to Ennis's Punisher mythos.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
...How did that happen?

He is a pretty big nintendo fan, and this was during the transition where everyone was jumping over themselves to proclaim that they werent going to buy a WiiU in 2012 and it was the usual fanboy war at the start of a generation

Fevaweva

The MAX Punisher series was FAAAANTASTIC. My favourite is easily Up Is Down, Black is White followed by Man of Stone...or maybe Mother Russia. Nicky Cavella + Rawlins + plus that disgraced Russian general is an amazing rogues gallery.

Jito

Banned
Started with The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe last night after reading the OP. Really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty funny. Looking forward to starting the Max series or War Journal, which should I go for as a new comer?

Fevaweva

Started with The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe last night after reading the OP. Really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty funny. Looking forward to starting the Max series or War Journal, which should I go for as a new comer?

MAX series! It is very stand alone, for the most part.

Tizoc

Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe is among my most hated comic series.
Otherwise Frank has some great stories written for him.

The thing with Punisher films (and something that Warzone appeared to get in some very short moments) is that Frank is an excellent deuteragonist, but not such a good fit for a protagonist. Punisher stories work best when they depict other characters reacting to Castle, and not the other way around. They enter his world to have a very short and traumatic look inside and then get the fuck out.

Which is part of the reason why Frank pushes anyone he likes away.

There are exceptions, yes, like the second 'Cuda arc, but even then it took Ennis two tries to really nail that narrative.

Frank's in it for 5 minutes but it feels utterly essential to Ennis's Punisher mythos.

The section with Barracuda certainly doesnt hurt either.

But that segment when Nick runs into the guy at the memorial and THEN you get the Laos payoff... Got damn. Mantears were shed.

I can't find this panel online, but one moment that always stood out for me was during the talk between Bethell and Frank in the first MAX arc, "In The Beginning," where Bethell commenting that the reason he sought Frank out was to have Frank kill Bin Laden, because Frank is has the best record when it comes to tracking down and killing specific men.

I also forget the storyline, but the one where Frank basically takes out a Delta team sent after him, and one of the Delta guys was like,"he makes us feel the same way we made our targets feel." I think Frank used a classic Claymore landmine in this skirmish!

I also forget the storyline, but the one where Frank basically takes out a Delta team sent after him, and one of the Delta guys was like,"he makes us feel the same way we made our targets feel." I think Frank used a classic Claymore landmine in this skirmish!

Thats one of the final arcs. They recognized that the only reason they were able to accost Frank was because he would refuse to kill them and even with that advantage it took them multiple tries.

Perks of working without a team for decades.

Mudcrab

I can't find this panel online, but one moment that always stood out for me was during the talk between Bethell and Frank in the first MAX arc, "In The Beginning," where Bethell commenting that the reason he sought Frank out was to have Frank kill Bin Laden, because Frank is has the best record when it comes to tracking down and killing specific men.

Great moment in Valley Forge, Valley Forge. "This is him trying not to kill us!"

People seem to like War Zone, but for me it feels like they just looked at the MAX comics and said "Well, we need to make it as gory as possible and that's that, right?". Story was uninteresting, Castle was mischaracterized (in the comics, he's not the kind of idiot who'll dangle from a chandelier and fire twin machine guns. When he does stupid shit, he tends to pay for it), and the villain lacked any real edge beyond "look at how fucked up my face is".

Loxley

People seem to like War Zone, but for me it feels like they just looked at the MAX comics and said "Well, we need to make it as gory as possible and that's that, right?". Story was uninteresting, Castle was mischaracterized (in the comics, he's not the kind of idiot who'll dangle from a chandelier and fire twin machine guns. When he does stupid shit, he tends to pay for it), and the villain lacked any real edge beyond "look at how fucked up my face is".

One of the things I appreciated about War Zone was that they actually went out of their way to show Punisher running out of ammo and reloading his guns in each fight. It's an oddly realistic touch for such an insane movie.

Can someone explain to me why the Punisher looks so young in the Greg Rucka series? I've only ever read the MAX series, and I adore that Castle.

Can someone explain to me why the Punisher looks so young in the Greg Rucka series? I've only ever read the MAX series, and I adore that Castle.

Because it's set in the Marvel universe and characters don't age in real time like in MAX. Castle is generally depicted between mid 30s and early 40s in his MU depiction (Ennis aside as he retained Frank's Vietnam origin when he wrote the MU stories, so that dates Frank to late 40/50s in those stories)

So...there's probably going to be a Punisher sale on Comixology next month, right? To coincide with Daredevil Season 2? There was a Deadpool sale before the movie came out

Just picked up the first 30 issues of Ennis' run, will likely wait for a sale to get the rest.

bengraven

My first owned Punisher comic was about a group of serial killers who used paint ball guns with ball bearings against actual paint ball players, obviously murdering the shit out of them. There was some catch at the end, probably with why they did it, I think they were also cops, etc, but I didn't give a fuck.

I just felt awesome to be buying a Punisher comic.

edit: PUNISHER SUMMER SPECIAL 3.

http://www.orgamesmic.com/the-punisher-hates-paintball/

latest

I mentioned this in some superhero dream movie thread, but if you want a recipe for a great Punisher movie:

You get Dennis Villeneuve to direct, and Joaquin Phoenix to star.

Joaquin-Phoenix-as-Lex-Luthor.jpg

Doin some Sicario style hits would be a killer combo. Dennis would bring the style and tension, and Phoenix could easily bring some depth and pathos to the role along with being menacing as fuck.

This would be spectacular

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Ennis' MAX Punisher run was genuinely scary horrible good. Quotes (I'm paraphrasing) but the images that accompany these lines are nightmare fuel.

"Don't come back here."

"I haven't hated anybody like this in a long time ."

"Homeboy is a little too good a swimmer."

"It's not as bad as it looks."

"Give her the rest."

"The air is clear and all is right with world."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh cool, Becky Cloonan is doing the ANAD Punisher? Neato.

But ugh, I can't stand Steve Dillion's art. Wish it was someone else.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I think one of my favorite things about the MAX series is the issues' cover art

Those are awesome. Seemed very familiar though so i got to checking and sure enough its Tim Bradstreet (at least most of them.. didnt check them all). Always had a fondness for his artwork.

I love the contrast between Frank and Captain America. Cap is Frank's hero, but he lacks the will to do the dirty work that's necessary.

"Same guy, different war." Spidey knows best.

PK9btVM.jpg

Y7CvApj.jpg

vPa70in.jpg

lTXxESB.jpg

l6MlTR3.jpg

The shit this man has seen and done...

I love the contrast between Frank and Captain America. Cap is Frank's hero, but he lacks the will to do the dirty work that's necessary.

"Same guy, different war." Spidey knows best.

PK9btVM.jpg

Y7CvApj.jpg

vPa70in.jpg

lTXxESB.jpg

l6MlTR3.jpg

The shit this man has seen and done...

Captain America is such a douchebag here.

And that's a fat load coming from Bucky considering he spent the majority of the Cold War destabilizing the world.

You know, I think the best thing about Ennis' MAX run... is that sometimes you could feel rage rising off the page. His writing was so good, that at times, you could feel Frank's hate and rage almost worming its way into your head.

They need to do a new Punisher game, Max Payne 3 style:
Idk, seems too flashy. Reading MAX now and it seems like a stealth-action format would be best. Assessing the enemy, setting up counter measure before unleashing hell on them. Would need to be more tactical than run-n-gun

I can't tell you how many times I did this part. Sliding down that escalator was so much fun

Wanted to share some of Dave Johnson's covers... he did great work on the post-Ennis stuff in MAX:

Idk, seems too flashy. Reading MAX now and it seems like a stealth-action format would be best. Assessing the enemy, setting up counter measure before unleashing hell on them. Would need to be more tactical than run-n-gun

I can't tell you how many times I did this part. Sliding down that escalator was so much fun

You're right, but I meant in tone and physics and how good the gunplay feels. Make combat really deep, give lots of options, it'd be awesome!

Punisher MAX is awesome.. never got around to reading Fury MAX, will need to correct that oversight

It's pretty good. Not even close to the same level as Punisher MAX for me, but anything that makes Nick Fury readable is an accomplishment in itself.

BigRedOne

Punisher kills the Marvel Universe was an amazing read. Also anyone remember the Punisher Max issue where he is only in it for two pages but man that was my first introduction to Garth Ennis and spent precious coin getting that punisher omnibus.

Metalmarc

Just Starting to read the Marvel Knights number one I believe its called, its on Marvel U.

I chose it because I grew up reading some of Garth Ennis Judge Dredd stuff, so I had to give it a read.

first bad guy that sticks out is that huge Russian who's head is cybernetically attached to the woman's body, holy fuck haha, always knew his humour was off the chart

Previously only read a few random Punisher books, like Kills the Marvel Universe, I bought punisher Max Volume 1 hardcover, but not read it, just realised that its also written by Ennis, need to get round to that soon, its been on my shelf for over a year.

Also I wish they would put the Punisher ps2 game onto the Psn store, so we could at least play that if they don't give us a new game.

Your title is missing perfectly good alliteration. Should have gone with man, myth, mainiac

Anyway, great op. I admit I also really like the Frankencastle arc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom