• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Simmons has retired from podcasting (joking), 1600 is just so clearly on a whole 'nother level from the rest of the network. I'm not even into politico stuff but the podcast is just so strong on every level, whether it's insightful commentary, insider gossip, or absolute top-notch guests. I also really enjoy how divorced they are in tone and frame of reference from the rest of The Ringer crew. Outside of Simbo, a lot of the hosts on Ringer, even many of the good ones, just feel really samey with the same catchphrases ("shout out to....") and little silly referenced to Beyonce or whatever is on the cover of People that week.
Yeah it's quickly emerged as one of my favorite podcasts. Insanely strong

Faddy

Banned
Just listened to the latest NBA pod and damn Tate can't read ads. Jonathan Tjarks should be hosting but is probably at the finals so they can't/won't record with him remotely.

There is a lot of content I like on the Ringer but they are trying to do too much too soon. They shouldn't have bothered with Tech if they weren't going to do it well. It is 2nd rate bloat. Surely they have a culture or sports writer who is tech literate and can put up a post about Apple every 6 months so they didn't need to have 3 writers dedicated to articles that will never compete with The Verge, Motherboard, Engadget and Gizmodo.

And Simmons is stupid for basically suspending his podcast during the launch window. Terrible planning to have it clash with his TV show.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just listened to the latest NBA pod and damn Tate can't read ads. Jonathan Tjarks should be hosting but is probably at the finals so they can't/won't record with him remotely.

There is a lot of content I like on the Ringer but they are trying to do too much too soon. They shouldn't have bothered with Tech if they weren't going to do it well. It is 2nd rate bloat. Surely they have a culture or sports writer who is tech literate and can put up a post about Apple every 6 months so they didn't need to have 3 writers dedicated to articles that will never compete with The Verge, Motherboard, Engadget and Gizmodo.

And Simmons is stupid for basically suspending his podcast during the launch window. Terrible planning to have it clash with his TV show.

Yeah this is sort of that feeling we were all having the past few months of "hmmm...Simmons is hiring A LOT of really random writers I've never heard of...and a few good ones" coming home to roost. It's almost like he overestimated his much-touted ability to spot talent and just thought he could create 5 Grantlands at once if he just hired more. "Stay in your lane" Simmons -- that's your freaking motto! Said it before but so few pods during one of the most exciting times of the sports season (seriously between NBA Finals, Euro Cup, Copa America, UFC 200, NFL offseason stuff...even baseball I'm loving it as a sports fan) is an absolute classic stay-in-your-lane violation for Simmons.

I still trust in him to turn it around though slowly. I mean he did get the 1600 guys, his own pods have mostly been quite good, he does have 4-5 solid writers at least, Mal is a breakout pod/video star if he would actually recognize it, etc.

Lunar FC

Haven't been on the site in a few days, it already got a redesign? Lmao.

Travon Free is terrible, Tate is okay. NBA show is bad.

Gigglepoo

I think Simmons got a little lucky with Grantland. Barnwell, Lowe, and Wesley Morris are the best in their fields. That's impossible to replicate. Everyone he's hired for The Ringer is merely serviceable. A really rough start for the site and a few of the podcasts. Thankfully, the old Grantland crew is still great and, obviously, the 1600 guys are must listen to.

Also, he should hire me to write about video games.

legend166

I don't know if I just got old between when Grantland launched and when the Ringer launched, but I'm now struggling to understand a lot of the language these writers are using.

Or they're just bad writers.

ryseing

I don't know if I just got old between when Grantland launched and when the Ringer launched, but I'm now struggling to understand a lot of the language these writers are using.

The millenial speak is strong with the writers.

jacobs34

It's not that they're bad writers, they just are not nearly as good as guys like Rembert Brown and Shea Serrano, who they are clearly trying to sound like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha yep. To be fair I'm probably the top Ryan hater on here, but replacing him with Mal would immediately make Ringer probably the best pod network out there rather than subpar.

I enjoyed this article about Copa America. Light reading but I'm not a huge soccer fan just follow the big intl tournaments: https://theringer.com/us-soccer-ecuador-copa-america-f0de12ac9f63#.fgugvx4ki

Also Favreau has an article up: https://theringer.com/how-republicans-can-beat-trump-after-orlando-response-d9dc82e6c076#.6gvd4n38l

Clipjoint

I really don't get the love for Keepin' it 1600. It's just bland, inside the beltway conventional thinking. That podcast is about as vanilla as it gets. It's as interesting as reading Politico.

LionPride

Banned
I can't get through any of the pods that rank players by position.

My man Jimmy Buckets! I'm loving the talk about rivalries.
I fucking love Robert Mays so hearing him rank players is enough for me

Also I think The Ringer rubs people the wrong way because people expected Grantland, this was never going to be Grantland at all.

Haha yep. To be fair I'm probably the top Ryan hater on here, but replacing him with Mal would immediately make Ringer probably the best pod network out there rather than subpar.

I enjoyed this article about Copa America. Light reading but I'm not a huge soccer fan just follow the big intl tournaments: https://theringer.com/us-soccer-ecuador-copa-america-f0de12ac9f63#.fgugvx4ki

Also Favreau has an article up: https://theringer.com/how-republicans-can-beat-trump-after-orlando-response-d9dc82e6c076#.6gvd4n38l

Absolutely absurd that he ends on this sentiment:

"If the USMNT can beat the 14-time Copa America winners while so broken and in need of repair — that’d be progress."

That wouldn't be progress, that'd be an astronomical stroke of good luck because the only way the Argentines lose is if they play a all time embarrasing/putrid game by their standards.

Just like when we beat Spain 2-0 in the Confed Cup. No progress can be made from a fluke win. It's about playing a consistent style while developing quality players who has the talent to compete with the best of the best. Good thing it's Ryan O'Hanlon who typically handles soccer duties on The Ringer.

Gigglepoo

I fucking love Robert Mays so hearing him rank players is enough for me

Yup! Now they just have to find a co-host. Incidentally, The Bill Barnwell Show is excellent. He seems so much lighter and more optimistic than he was on The Grantland NFL Show. Maybe he was struggling with depression when he was grossly overweight and now that he's slimmer he's become happier?

Also I think The Ringer rubs people the wrong way because people expected Grantland, this was never going to be Grantland at all.

Eh, I think it's fair to have expected The Ringer to follow in the footsteps of Grantland. I really don't have a need for another Buzzfeed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Absolutely absurd that he ends on this sentiment:

That wouldn't be progress, that'd be an astronomical stroke of good luck because the only way the Argentines lose is if they play a all time embarrasing/putrid game by their standards.

Just like when we beat Spain 2-0 in the Confed Cup. No progress can be made from a fluke win. It's about playing a consistent style while developing quality players who has the talent to compete with the best of the best. Good thing it's Ryan O'Hanlon who typically handles soccer duties on The Ringer.

Haha yeah I did notice the same thing -- but I'm trying to look at the bright side!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yea we definitely need a podcast before game 7 hopefully with Haralabos as the guest

Lebron could score 100 points and Steph win the game on a full-court buzzer beater and I'm not sure it would be enough to motivate Simmons to do a pod.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bill has to do a pod right???

hahaha. it's honestly less fun when he's not doing them regularly. i mean half the reason i listen to him is to enjoy when he gets things wrong and his teams lose :p and he hasn't even taken the time to analyze the series at all so it would pretty much be starting from scratch.

on that note i think my favorite kind of simmons wrongness is when he misses a bet and then says "well we were totally right but the ball deflected some way/there was some gray-area call so i don't count that." You mean like all sports?

jay23

Bill must be saving all his "takes" for Wednesday.

I'm honestly excited for his new show only because Barkley is gonna be a guest the first week and after what happened yesterday... that should be really entertaining.

"You live by the 3 you die by the 3"

ShowDog

I guess Bill doesn't want anyone who isn't up-to-the-minute on every pop culture event on his website. I was hesitant to go there for fear of GoT spoilers but I thought it might be worth the risk for some Finals coverage. Of course, massive GoT spoiler headlines plastered as the lead. I can't get too mad because I knew it could happen, but fuck if I ever go to the site again without being totally caught up on everything (and that's just about never).

Good luck with your readership figures Bill.

legend166

The article basically saying Curry is a chump for being gracious in defeat is horrendous.

I'm starting to think Simmons got lucky with Grantland.

It helps when you hire Lowe, Barnwell, and Morris. He hasn't brought in anyone of that caliber yet.

It's not just them though. Early on grantland had Molly Lambert, Rembert, Abrams. Just tons of talent. I can't think of any of the new Ringer writers whose stuff is equal to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom