• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

I really disagree with their view on Durant. The whole reason people watch sports and root for teams is competition. Sure, you can see the logic of going to the best team and living in a nicer place, but couldn't you say that about most players on most teams? Should everyone on the Bucks demand to be traded because they don't want to live in Milwaukee?

And they focus too much on leaving OKC, which people don't really have a problem with, and not enough on going to a team that won the most games ever last season.

I really disagree with their view on Durant. The whole reason people watch sports and root for teams is competition. Sure, you can see the logic of going to the best team and living in a nicer place, but couldn't you say that about most players on most teams? Should everyone on the Bucks demand to be traded because they don't want to live in Milwaukee?

And they focus too much on leaving OKC, which people don't really have a problem with, and not enough on going to a team that won the most games ever last season.

Most players don't have the leverage to say they don't want to leave Milwakee. KD is one of a select few that can call his shot and do whatever he wants. It's the nature of the way the league is structured and the sport itself. Guys like KD or LeBron can singlehandedly make you a contender. KD put his own personal comfort and desires above stuff like "legacy" or what fans think of him, which seems perfectly normal to me.

KingKong

Most players don't have the leverage to say they don't want to leave Milwakee. KD is one of a select few that can call his shot and do whatever he wants. It's the nature of the way the league is structured and the sport itself. Guys like KD or LeBron can singlehandedly make you a contender. KD put his own personal comfort and desires above stuff like "legacy" or what fans think of him, which seems perfectly normal to me.

Its fine for him but worse for the league. We went from two top teams in the west to one elite one (and OKC is done when Westbrook leaves). The end result is what the eastern conference has been for the last 5 years where you pencil in LeBrons team in the finals and dont even need to watch any eastern playoff games

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Its fine for him but worse for the league. We went from two top teams in the west to one elite one (and OKC is done when Westbrook leaves). The end result is what the eastern conference has been for the last 5 years where you pencil in LeBrons team in the finals and dont even need to watch any eastern playoff games

Eh, OKC-GSW was a good series but there was never a long-term future there at all. I also think the owners are pretty scummy so to me it's a plus if they get screwed. KD needs to do what's best for him and I don't think it really hurts the league that much, one that gained popularity due to the era of the superteams.

gazele

Banned
Eh, OKC-GSW was a good series but there was never a long-term future there at all. I also think the owners are pretty scummy so to me it's a plus if they get screwed. KD needs to do what's best for him and I don't think it really hurts the league that much, one that gained popularity due to the era of the superteams.

Yep, this is a result of the owners being complete idiots and not realizing how salary caps, max contracts, increases in the salary cap etc. should be handled

O my god, Simmons needs to have a proper basketball writer on to talk basketball. How could you not know that Millsap has an opt out in 2017?

Jesus.

Gigglepoo

O my god, Simmons needs to have a proper basketball writer on to talk basketball. How could you not know that Millsap has an opt out in 2017?

Jesus.

That was super weird. And that was the day after Chris and Juliet kept saying the Warriors signed David Lee. It would be incredibly easy to have someone fact check while they're recording.

The Ringer's NBA content sucks. Its main NBA podcast is too hot takey and we already have the BS report for all the hot take stuff so it's just redundant. Lowe's podcast is still the best out there, dunc'd is good especially in terms of the cap but I find thier on court analysis ok at best.

ryseing

The Ringer is hiring interns for the fall. I'm seriously considering applying and I'm wondering if any of you guys ITT would mind reading my samples. If I do this, I'm going to submit one gaming related piece (VR or No Man's Sky related- something revolutionary that the site hasn't covered), one piece about my struggle with ASD, and probably a piece about the UNC/NCSU rivalry to make sure my bases are covered.

Hey, if Tate did it, why can't an NCSU student? We're better anyway :D

Probably going to mention also that I did the OTs for both The Ringer and AGW. This site is fairly well known so I don't think that would hurt.

Lunar FC

Just listened to the euros pod. Can Chris Ryan pronounce any players name correctly?

Edit: Hey, they actually mentioned the Rockies on the mlb pod. They expectedly shat on them and got a easy Coors field jab in. Cool.

Rainy

Banned
They finally hired Shea and he debuted with that Duncan piece. (Unless his hire was announced a while ago and I missed it)

spyder_ur

MERCH

Kind of want the lightning bolt hoodie.

Damn that is some bland-ass stuff.

By the way, at least for me your link redirected to that company's home page with the college teams.

Who wants to listen to an NBA podcast with Tate and Tjarks? No one? Oh crap...

They really need to step up their NBA podcast and quality of coverage overall especially with Simmons not doing that much overall. I like Tjarks writing - not so much on podcasts.

ryseing

Listening to the Blink reup and it is one of the funniest pods Chris and Andy have ever done.

Neighborhoods is a good album. Fite me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That Borcas piece on the Nets was horrible and riddled with serious inaccuracies.

Yeah Simmons excitedly tweeted it out so you know it's Boston-benefiting BS. Honestly in their different content verticals I'd say by far basketball is their worst, which is hilarious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've actually been reading more Ringer articles and kind of getting into the format, mostly because they've been covering stuff like UFC and PokeGo. Not anything mind-blowing but good short stuff. I don't know what their audience is, but this kind of shit...I just wish they didn't have it: "In the wake of Hiddleswift, we pinpoint the exact moment we knew everything Taylor Swift was peddling was a lie" -- it's not just the topic, which w/e I've listened to the occasional Ringer tswift podcast, but just the whole approach is so gimmicky and played out. Thankfully it hasn't infected the rest of their stuff.

I'm glad the public at large is finally finding out about Jonny Safs and Natalie Portman.

Jonathan Safran Foer is the patron saint of #ShootYourShot. JR Smith be damned.

Bill talking to his dad does nothing for me but the segment with Wesley Morris was fantastic as usual. The Bill NBA pod with Chris Ryan was pretty good too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wesley pod was awesome though I almost wish they had more time to discuss non-movie stuff as that was the best part. Also Wesley didn't have a chance to respond to Bill's "this election is like picking between seneca wallace and jake delhomme herp derp i'm fair and balanced" comment, which I really would have enjoyed a response to though I do feel like Wesley out of friendship often pulls his punches when Bill says dumb shit.

Can Bill get through an nba pod without fantasizing about the celtics landing a big name? Jesus.

I can't wait for the Westbrook speculation to turn to full-on "it's going to happen, here's all of our picks through 2031".

Honestly I find it fun though, Bill is building superteam Jr. I still have the Raptors above the Horford Celtics but at least it gives us stuff to speculate about now that KD is out of the bag.

(And of course, we're all just counting down waiting for the lines with Sal)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bill's homerism in basketball coverage is growing by the day but it does increase the schadenfreude when these deals fall through and the Celtics ultimately lose in the second round to the Hawks or Pacers or whatever.

jbug617

Banned
Ben Lindbergh is their baseball hire. Former Grantland writer

@ringer: Staff news: We’re thrilled to welcome Ben Lindbergh (@benlindbergh), joining us from FiveThirtyEight. He’ll cover baseball and much more!

spyder_ur

Bill basically admitting AGW is just a glorified podcast on a boring set.

It's pretty bad, IMO, and the shame of it all is those segments all would have been way better with podcasts. Given that his writing and podcast production is basically negligible and that on camera is basically the worst version of Bill, I'm pretty disappointed

They need to do something with the format. It just doesn't work. I don't get why they hired all these writers if the current format is the vision for the show.

Ben Lindbergh is their baseball hire. Former Grantland writer

Great hire if a bit weird timing-wise.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Probably want to have a TV footprint regardless of whether it otherwise makes sense. I can't find it right now but he recently had a quote about how TV is where it's at, sort of a subtle dig at podcasts it seemed (and he's definitely lightened his podcast load a ton in favor of working on the show I guess). I don't know how much all of the many many podcast ads bring in but I think HBO is his "main" gig so I get him trying to make it work and leaning heavily on what's worked elsewhere. Even if it's an inferior version of his podcasts, that's still probably better than almost anything else he could do. But yeah I've only watched half of them so far -- they're alright but it's just so much easier for me to listen to pods than watch shows since I have a 45m commute and I work pretty late and not really in the mood for teeing up the DVR usually by the time I get home so just not really motivated to watch them even if they're OK.

Wait, Simmons and Rogan have doubts that the moon landing is real?

I dunno, Rogan does a perfect backpeddle to explain how he felt some of the footage was edited, but believed the landing itself was real, giving the evidence of murky moves from the government at the time. He even flat out said he didn't believe any of the conspiracies from his own show, and gave some great reasons why not.

Almost seemed like the most lucid Rogan we might ever hear.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Simmons is super into conspiracy theories too, even as a lark it seems most of the time.

JackO pod was OK but as usual I have to grit my teeth through some of the stupid shit he says that Simmons just accepts without question, and Simmons busted out the herpderp both candidates suck just the like Cleveland Browns QB situation analogy. Honestly miss when JackO would keep his shit in check and just mention occasionally how he's a hardcore Republican and leave it at that because I do enjoy his sports takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom