• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simmons and company already picked clean the prospects they were eyeing when at Grantland and now that they have to do it again they are left with lesser talent.

Gigglepoo

I've yet to enjoy any article on the site that wasn't a GoT's recap by Jason. :/

I skim Jason's Ask the Maester's column and read Simmons take on Kevin Durant but haven't finished anything else that I've started. I don't even bother clicking anymore. I'm pretty bummed out. I've been a huge fan of Simmons and all of his endeavors (even the cartoon) for more than 15 years but The Ringer is a huge disappointment. Hopefully the show is so good that it makes up for the lack of podcasts.

Chase17

I subscribed to Rapaport's podcast, went straight to the source. It's great. I fuck with the Rapa-Pack hard body karate.
I'll have to check that out.

So next week AGW guests are Mark Cuban, Malcolm Gladwell, and Bill Hader. Since two guests weren't enough.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can we get Tjarks off the of the NBA pod? Dude puts me to sleep.

Hahaha. They definitely haven't found the right group for that pod. Tjarks knows way more than most of the other candidates but I agree he doesn't have a great podcasting style. Hilarious because Simmons can bang out quality NBA pods with basically any guest like it's nothing.

gazele

Banned
Hahaha. They definitely haven't found the right group for that pod. Tjarks knows way more than most of the other candidates but I agree he doesn't have a great podcasting style. Hilarious because Simmons can bang out quality NBA pods with basically any guest like it's nothing.

IMO, great writers are usually not great podcasters

Even Zach Lowe, as much as I love him, is not a great podcast host, he's improved but is not on the same level as Simmons or others

ryseing

I will say The Undeniables series that they've been doing all week is the best stuff they've done yet and gives me hope for the future of the site. I really liked the Riley, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Mario, and Bama football pieces.

Fjordson

So is Shea Serrano joining the site? Or was that tweet just a riff on the Kevin Durant thing?

Hope so, Shea is awesome.

WHERE ARE MY SIMMONS HARDEN TRADE TAEKS

I need them. Straight into my veins.

Sadly I think the HBO show basically removes Bill from the podcast equation from Sunday-Wednesday. Best case is maybe a pod a week once the showrunning cools down. A shame because we need another NBA BS pod and we're not too far away from the return of Bill vs. Sal

ryseing

I hope we don't lose Simmons on Monday. Starting off the week with Guess the Lines is one of my favorite traditions.

Show should be relatively settled by September. I think we'll get one a week until NFL starts, than two a week until the show ends.

I understand Simmons can't fully commit to pods anymore but can we at least nuke sources say and get a real dedicated NBA pod that doesn't focus on where players are vacationing or what's on Chandler Parsons' Instagram?

I understand Simmons can't fully commit to pods anymore but can we at least nuke sources say and get a real dedicated NBA pod that doesn't focus on where players are vacationing or what's on Chandler Parsons' Instagram?

Sources Say is more enjoyable than the serious NBA talk from Tjarks and Chau. The Ringer just needs to upgrade their 'real' analysts.

Lunar FC

But what else would Juliet Litman have talk about then?
Sources say is hot trash.

Sources Say is more enjoyable than the serious NBA talk from Tjarks and Chau. The Ringer just needs to upgrade their 'real' analysts.
The regular nba pod isn't any better.

Sources Say is unbearable. On top of having shit content they also do that super amateur podcast thing where they constantly talk over each other and get progressively louder as they do it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Titus and especially Serrano if true is a major upgrade in terms of their recent hires, so that's a positive. Friday pod with house was really good so that was nice too. I am worried that he's going to permanently scale back his podcast production, especially based on his comments about how TV is where it's at. :/

jbug617

Banned
Next pick up
CmnPR3ZWYAALzdH.jpg

Fjordson

Yeah, not a big fan of Sources Say either.

If anyone wants a good basketball podcast, listen to Dunc'd On with Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux. Easily two of the smartest NBA media guys out there. Great on-court analysis, but they also have an incredible understanding of the cap.

Chase17

Sources Say is unbearable. On top of having shit content they also do that super amateur podcast thing where they constantly talk over each other and get progressively louder as they do it.

That said, the last one had a pretty good Bucks got a vet in Thon Maker joke.

Really only listen to it if I'm caught up on all my other pods before a drive. A whole new basketball pod should be added, as I don't think Sources Say is going to significantly improve.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To be fair Sources Say and whatever it was called on Grantland has always been that. It's basically the podcast you would listen to if you were super into Basketball Wives and everything around that scene. The issue is that with Simmons cutting back they don't have any legitimate entertaining NBA analysis anymore.

To be fair Sources Say and whatever it was called on Grantland has always been that. It's basically the podcast you would listen to if you were super into Basketball Wives and everything around that scene. The issue is that with Simmons cutting back they don't have any legitimate entertaining NBA analysis anymore.

Yeah. They are really sort of grasping for straws when Bill goes MIA. The NBA pod today was pretty bizarre, with the Sources Say team leaning heavily on how (somehow) the Durant thing made Curry an unhappy camper? Kinda stunned after all of the possibilities for Channel 33 that is what we got out of that mega-story.

I'm really hoping Bill can figure out things and settle down as the show goes on. Do we know how long the season run is supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom