• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted it on Gaming side and it was generally shit on.

the pod or the column? either way, i'm not surprised. gaming side is really defensive about people not having "gaming journalism" cred covering games.

and then they complain about the lack of attention from the lamestream media. quixotic really.

ryseing

the pod or the column? either way, i'm not surprised. gaming side is really defensive about people not having "gaming journalism" cred covering games.

and then they complain about the lack of attention from the lamestream media. quixotic really.

The NN article.

"We already knew all this!"

It's an interesting article STFU.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah Jason's written about video games a few times. And he quietly drops video game-centric jokes on pods every once in a while. Jason's great generally, and that's a good perspective to read -- a person who's video game-literate but not as deep in as a "games journalist". Emily Yoshida, also late of Grantland, knocks out a video game article every once in a while, too.

Going to check out this No Man's Sky pod tonight.

legend166

Speaking of Gladwell, if you haven't listened to his Revisionist History podcast, I'd recommend it (although the first episode had a seemingly huge research gap that he missed).

Brakke

Banned
In most contexts, I think Gladwell is a psuedo-intellectual hack but I always like him on Bill's pods. Maybe he's just as wrong about sports as he is about other things, but I don't know as much about sports so I don't catch it.

KingKong

In most contexts, I think Gladwell is a psuedo-intellectual hack but I always like him on Bill's pods. Maybe he's just as wrong about sports as he is about other things, but I don't know as much about sports so I don't catch it.

I like it because I enjoy his way of thinking when its about something frivolous like sports

speaking of, what happened to that guy that would pitch random ideas?

Gigglepoo

speaking of, what happened to that guy that would pitch random ideas?

That was Kevin Wildes. He's still at ESPN so don't expect a new Half-Baked Ideas anytime soon. Instead we get a writer from Any Given Wednesday taking about internet deep dives. Not nearly as good...

At least Malcom Gladwell was as great as ever. I'd love to get him, Klosterman, and Wesley Morris on regularly.

ryseing

That was Kevin Wildes. He's still at ESPN so don't expect a new Half-Baked Ideas anytime soon. Instead we get a writer from Any Given Wednesday taking about internet deep dives. Not nearly as good...

At least Malcom Gladwell was as great as ever. I'd love to get him, Klosterman, and Wesley Morris on regularly.

I think Deep Dives is great. Not as good as HBI of course but still highly entertaining. As someone who spends far too much time on the Net myself it's interesting to see what people find.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like the Deep Dives guy. It does feel like a bit of a put-on, but ultimately I usually get sucked in to whatever he's talking about so I don't really mind. I do miss the day of Simbo constantly tweeting and banging out pods though. Doesn't look like we'll get those again.

Hmm..sounds like somebody is jealous that he isn't a world class stick man..

COCKSMAN

I love Rappaport and want to check out his podcast but Im afraid too much of him will just get annoying and sour my opinion. Whenever hes on BS I always listen to it twice. Guy is hilarious...Papi's glass eye!!

Gigglepoo

Good news: Sal and Simmons are picking lines this season!
Bad news: It's now posted on Thursday

Sounds like he won't do a preview podcast with House. Oh well, one football podcast a week should be enough.

Gigglepoo

Um, wat? I know people don't exactly love the Bucs but does Bill really not know that Lovie Smith was fired???

Yeesh.

I laughed so hard at this. Last week I quizzed my buddy (we both love the NFL) who the Bucs coach was. Neither of us had any idea. Even Bill Barnwell (or his co-host) did the "how do you pronounce his name" bit instead of talking about what he'll bring to the Bucs. Dirk Koetter is the most non-entity of the myriad non-entity coaches hired last offseason.

I laughed so hard at this. Last week I quizzed my buddy (we both love the NFL) who the Bucs coach was. Neither of us had any idea. Even Bill Barnwell (or his co-host) did the "how do you pronounce his name" bit instead of talking about what he'll bring to the Bucs. Dirk Koetter is the most non-entity of the myriad non-entity coaches hired last offseason.

Struggling to remember the name is one thing. Not knowing that Lovie Smith isn't coaching the Bucs this year is another.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

dirk koetter is an NFL coach!?!? i remember when he was a terrible coach at asu. amazing

Curufinwe

Simmons NFL podcast with House and Cousin Sal! All is right with the world!

I'm a very casual NFL fan so most of my current NFL knowledge comes from this podcast and highlights I happen to catch on TV.

In the 90s it was my favorite sport to watch, but I never got attached to any one team, and eventually I became one of those fans who only watches a handful of full games per season.

ryseing

I will admit I though lovie was still coaching the bucs

Only reason I know he's coaching Illinois was the whole Tim Beckman thing. Still a bad look on Simmons's part.

Yea, I'm tired of them talking about it. It's like 20seconds each time of them just saying stickman cocksman over and over when anyone mentions anything about Sex.

I will admit that a stickman HoF pod would be interesting for at least 15 minutes. Stop interrupting NBA discussion with it tho.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Simmons is really on point since AGW took a break. I guess good news that he hasn't lost has interest/talent at podcasting but is just spread too thin.

-The stickman stuff is beat into the ground BUT I would posit that it is part of Rap's "charm"/personality to completely play out a slightly-off-color joke so it doesn't really bother me. He's also super entertaining and a perfect complement to Bill which helps. But yeah that's why I don't listen to him on his own podcast because his appearances on BS are precisely the right dosage.

-Tony pod is fantastic so far, as you would expect. I'm also excited that Tony's doing his own pod as I've been running kind of low on pods (have a decent commute every day) and haven't had time in the evenings to watch my DVR'd PTI for a while (I think I also got sick of the frequent guest hosts) so this will be perfect.

Fjordson

Holy shit, a Kornheiser pod. Can't wait to listen.

And yeah, I'm really happy Tony's show is carrying on in podcast form. I listened to the radio show for like 8 years so I'm suffering withdrawal a little bit.

Chase17

Getting a 2nd Keeping it 1600 each week is great. Haven't really read anything on the site for weeks though lol

Gigglepoo

Will someone post here if Simmons is on a podcast other than his own? I unsubscribed to the other Ringer podcast feeds except for Keeping It 1600 and The Watch but I don't want to miss a random Simmons appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom