• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shadowrun Thread: Let's Kill Us Some Elves, Brethren

Tawpgun

I've never really been able to get out of the Elf niche. Dat speed and health regen is too good.
Still love the hit and run tactics. I think I'll buy AM Gens from now on though. Gotta kill those trees.

Booshka

Brimstone said:
Yes, it is annoying when people don't bother to vote someone off.

For fun, I'm curious what ideas other Shadowrun players have for an additinal race like Orks, as well as new magic and new tech? From what I read a while back FASA considered a Grappling Hook as a new Tech item and a Walk-On-Walls (Gekko Spell).

For an Ork race:

Death Grip: When you die your body has a magical "rigor mortis effect" where the weapon you had in hand is clenched by your corpse.

Nerves of Steel: When bleeding out you can zoom with a weapon like a Sniper Rifle.

Any ideas?
You can actually do this, if you click in the Right Thumbstick very quickly repeatedly your bloom will settle on the Sniper Rifle. You won't be fully zoomed in, only about 2x Zoom, but you can still hit precise shots if you are good enough. I've seen some high level players pull it off with regularity, pretty ridiculous shots.

For that empty tech slot, I think it would be cool if you could toggle on/off your Race's passive ability. So for Elves, you could turn off Health Regen to get your Essence back, Trolls turn off Hardening to get Essence back and run faster. For Dwarves, maybe turn it off to avoid getting drained by other Dwarves or draining friendlies. Human doesn't really need it because no tech penalty has no drawbacks. As for dreaming about new SR content, I just want the maps they had cooking to be finished and released for the game. I don't need a sequel or really even new abilities or races, just new maps to play on.

charsace

I wonder how hard it would be to make a shadowrun like game. I've been messing around with xna. Maybe I should give it a try.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I've never really been able to get out of the Elf niche. Dat speed and health regen is too good.
Still love the hit and run tactics. I think I'll buy AM Gens from now on though. Gotta kill those trees.
Human is the best race imo.

Yeah the thought of new maps being so close yet so far is frustrating. I personally wouldn't care if they added new races as long as they kept it balanced.

TheOrangeKid007 said:
Yeah the thought of new maps being so close yet so far is frustrating. I personally wouldn't care if they added new races as long as they kept it balanced.

Where is this talk of new races, tech and magic coming from anyway? The hope that Smith & Tinker makes a sequel? Because FASA is closed. Literally, no one maintains this game. Not even Microsoft. It's the reason why server transfer issues were never fixed, etc. The development team was gutted before launch and then the rest was laid off shortly after it launched.

I still hold my view that had Microsoft marketed the game better and invested in things like stat tracking, leaderboards, etc, Shadowrun could have made a much bigger impact. It is a highly competitive multiplayer game that came out relatively early in the 360's life cycle. With a $40 price point, some real marketing, and a few additional features Shadowrun could have been much bigger than it is. Unfortunately instead Microsoft had FASA do something that had never been done like create a game that allowed for 360 vs PC gameplay and then rewarded them with...Closing them down and sending the game out to die.

I'm really glad there's still a community that plays it. The game is balanced so well. I just wish FASA still existed and could have patched the game in a few areas, put out some additional maps, etc.

That said even if we do see another Shadowrun game in the future from Smith & Tinker, or even someone else if they fold and the license goes elsewhere...It may be an RPG for all we know. Something more akin to the original Sega Genesis games.

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
That said even if we do see another Shadowrun game in the future from Smith & Tinker, or even someone else if they fold and the license goes elsewhere...It may be an RPG for all we know. Something more akin to the original Sega Genesis games.
I agree, if there ever is another Shadowrun game, it will not be a FPS, and most certainly not a multiplayer FPS. The Shadowrun we all love to play will be the only one of its kind for the time being.

I would be interested in a Shadowrun RPG though.

Holy shit! I am in complete disbelief...Four years and two months after I got my first achievement in Shadowrun I just got the Master Summoner achievement. I can't believe I finally got it. It's a miracle!

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
Holy shit! I am in complete disbelief...Four years and two months after I got my first achievement in Shadowrun I just got the Master Summoner achievement. I can't believe I finally got it. It's a miracle!
The day I get Master Thief, if it ever happens, will be a very special day.

charsace

Booshka said:
The day I get Master Thief, if it ever happens, will be a very special day.
Most of the master thief and strangle achievements that people have they got in private achievement matches. I would say 99.5% of the secret one where you kill a team of 6 without getting touched people got in private achievement matches. There were a few times during the first few months of the game that I almost got this achievement in pub matches.

Booshka

charsace said:
Most of the master thief and strangle achievements that people have they got in private achievement matches. I would say 99.5% of the secret one where you kill a team of 6 without getting touched people got in private achievement matches. There were a few times during the first few months of the game that I almost got this achievement in pub matches.
Yep, there was a lot of people boosting when the game first came out, and people still do it to this day. I boosted for Godlike, but wish I didn't, I have gotten it legitimately three times since I have been playing Shadowrun. It would have been amazing to see the achievement pop up, knowing I got it legit. I've done all the other ones on my own in Public matches and competitive Privates, most of them just take time and persistence, like Summoner and Strangle kills.

charsace

I wish I boosted godlikE because it's near impossible to get.

Master thief is a tough one too because everyone uses tele now.

Is there ever a useful reason for gust-gliding? I sometimes do it just for kicks but it seems like it leaves you really vulnerable. Also are certian factors for clearing? Sometimes it feels like it takes 2 shotgun blasts to clear me and other times it feels like it takes 2 freaking clips to get rid of a body.

Booshka

TheOrangeKid007 said:
Is there ever a useful reason for gust-gliding? I sometimes do it just for kicks but it seems like it leaves you really vulnerable. Also are certian factors for clearing? Sometimes it feels like it takes 2 shotgun blasts to clear me and other times it feels like it takes 2 freaking clips to get rid of a body.
Gust gliding is very useful if you can use it correctly, it is also a lot faster than regular gliding. Gliding in general can get you shot down quickly if you aren't careful, you just need to drop repeatedly and teleport to throw off their shot, or go into smoke and bail out completely. Gust-Gliding is great for big maps, getting around to teammates that need rez or help, and it is also good for chasing down artifact runners. A lot of people use it just to float around and avoid conflict, but if you use it right, you can do a lot of damage with that playstyle.

As for clearing, there is a Karma system in place that gives the losing team some advantages to help them. If a team is down by two or more rounds three things will happen, Resurrect will cost less essence than normal, 3 pips, 2 pips, then 1 pip depending on how far behind in rounds a team is. It takes longer for the winning team to clear bodies, the more Rounds you are up, the more shots it will take to clear. Finally, members of the losing team can be rezzed multiple times, normally you only get one death then the second death is permanent. In Karma rounds players can die and be rezzed up to 3 times with severe karma. These three things are designed to help the losing team get back into the game.

Shadowrun has what Sirlin would call a "slippery slope" when one team starts winning, it becomes easier for them to keep winning. They are earning more money, buying better weapons and abilities while the other team is struggling to get their builds. Karma helps combat this, without being cheap and unfair to the winning team. The Karma system SR has is very clever, focusing only on giving the losing team advantages in resurrecting, SR's most team-based ability. If Karma just gave members of the losing team more health, or money, or they could deal more damage, that would be cheap and unfair to the winning team. This way it keeps matches more competitive; if the winning team is just plain better though, they will keep winning, no matter how much Karma one team has.

Booshka

pBdBK.png

Dreaming about SR LANs

Booshka

A couple of my Competitive Private Match friends posted some gameplay from tournament matches from the latest community tournament going on right now.

Both are Elf gameplay with Extraction as the gametype, one is on Nerve Center and the other is on Pinnacle.

This one is relatively short for a competitive Extraction match on Pinnacle, featuring Reaxxtion (XCLUSIV) as Elf playing as a substitution, playing a very passive, careful style, with a few moments of quick aggression and hit and run pick off attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-XvLkC46Q&feature=feedu

The other one however, is a very long, drawn out game of Extraction on Nerve Center that ends up being a pretty epic game. The Elf (vicfer2) plays relatively careful as well, but then starts heating up with Snipe and gets a bevvy of clutch snipes. This one is in three parts, I will link them in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFeIljZmjM&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMn6pXseVs&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8B2uUkOpPA&feature=feedu

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
For an Ork race:

Death Grip: When you die your body has a magical "rigor mortis effect" where the weapon you had in hand is clenched by your corpse.

Nerves of Steel: When bleeding out you can zoom with a weapon like a Sniper Rifle.

I'll add another potential racial advantage for Orks

Battlelust: While bleeding out if you kill an enemy your bleeding is "cauterized". Comes in real handy if your resurector died and your the last man standing on your team.

There seems to have been a few more new players recently. One thing that still irks me is people joining with music blasting and them rapping/singing into their mic. There should be a system where if 75% of the team mutes a players mic they get a penalty.

Brimstone

Any Shadowrun players try Gotham City Imposters? I've read several reviews saying it is similar to Shadowrun...but before I download I'd rather get more opinions?

Gotham City Imposters = the new Shadowrun?

hoverX

Just took a look at the screen shots. Not really liking the style. Part of what makes Shadowrun so cool is the Fantasy mixed with cyberpunk theme.

Booshka

Any Shadowrun players try Gotham City Imposters? I've read several reviews saying it is similar to Shadowrun...but before I download I'd rather get more opinions?

Gotham City Imposters = the new Shadowrun?

I tried the beta and liked the idea, but hated the execution. The shooting is just like CoD, but it has unique movement options and game modes, really clashes with my tastes. I was pretty disappointed that it had the typical ADS gunplay of shooters nowadays. So it's not the "new Shadowrun" to me sadly.

hoverX said:
Just took a look at the screen shots. Not really liking the style. Part of what makes Shadowrun so cool is the Fantasy mixed with cyberpunk theme.
I wouldn't say this game's style or art direction is its strong suit, but it was in sacrifice to its stellar gameplay, so I don't care. It looks good enough, and the aesthetics don't get in the way of gameplay like most games.

This is one of my favourite games, although I haven't played it in quite a while. Is there still a small, but tight-knit community kicking around? It's really a tragedy that Shadowrun wasn't successful, but looking on the positive side, it's kind of cool entering a game and recognising basically every player.

If only I didn't live in Australia... The matchmaking doesn't work very well for us. I assume it would, if it actually looked for players outside of Australia. Anyhow, I'm building a new computer soon, so I think I'll grab another copy for PC. There is a server browser, right? That would fix my matchmaking woes.

hoverX

Does anyone play the PC version? I bought it when Game for Windows came out and they were selling it for $2 (or something like that) but since i dual boot on a mac i never really got into it. I love the xbox version even though i never got into it too much.

Booshka

This is one of my favourite games, although I haven't played it in quite a while. Is there still a small, but tight-knit community kicking around? It's really a tragedy that Shadowrun wasn't successful, but looking on the positive side, it's kind of cool entering a game and recognising basically every player.

If only I didn't live in Australia... The matchmaking doesn't work very well for us. I assume it would, if it actually looked for players outside of Australia. Anyhow, I'm building a new computer soon, so I think I'll grab another copy for PC. There is a server browser, right? That would fix my matchmaking woes.
Yes there is still a tight knit community playing Private matches everyone so often. Then there a lot of regulars that just play Public matches. The dedicated server option in this game was never fully completed and is hardly ever used, so you won't get much out of it. But, you can find plenty of games in Public matches. There is a good amount of Japanese and Aus/NZ players so you can probably find matches at prime time in your time zone with those players.
Does anyone play the PC version? I bought it when Game for Windows came out and they were selling it for $2 (or something like that) but since i dual boot on a mac i never really got into it. I love the xbox version even though i never got into it too much.
Yes, people play the PC version, it is free to play online on GFWL
so you don't need Gold. It's cross-platform after all, so you will get plenty of games regardless of playing on 360 or PC.

Brimstone

Yeah Gotham City Imposters is kinda cool but it doesn't have the fun factor of Shadowrun. I'll keep on playing but still Shadowrun reigns supreme for me.

The other day playing a Troll I had some guy playing an Elf constantly trying to get behind me with Teleport and bleed me out with a Katana. This got me thinking about if there was some sort of rear view mirror power like in a driving game.

Cybertech upgrade = camera in the back of your head. When bleeding out you see blood drip and smear across the lens.

Booshka

I tried to play some yesterday, but I just sat in the Matchmaking wheel looking at "Waiting for more players", I think my TrueSkill is broken. I know there are games going on, but my TrueSkill doesn't match me up with them. I usually have to join in progress from someone on my friends or players list.

That being said, I will be playing more Shadowrun.

Booshka

Can someone tell me what to do against Heart of feueustelle? This stupid as fuck fight with clones.

This is the 2007 FPS Shadowrun thread, I have no idea what you are talking about, maybe the Shadowrun Returns PC game that came out recently?

Wrong thread I guess.

Top Bottom