• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shadowrun Thread: Let's Kill Us Some Elves, Brethren

hoverX

i'm glad this game still has some life in it. It's too bad it never really took off the way that MS wanted it to. I might just put it in my machine tonight.

hoverX said:
i'm glad this game still has some life in it. It's too bad it never really took off the way that MS wanted it to. I might just put it in my machine tonight.

The reason it didn't take off was because Microsoft DIDN'T want it to. That said, I think I'm going to start playing Shadowrun AGAIN.

Meliorism

This game was easily the most hardcore competitive game on the 360.

I wanna say that it didn't take off because of the fantasy elements detracting people and because Halo and Call of Duty had already been established games in the FPS genre.

That said, when I had my gold account, I loved to play. Even with the whole FASA shutdown, everything was still so good that it didn't seem to matter.

eagledare

Is there still a good number of folks playing Shadowrun?

I really enjoyed the game when it came out and felt like it was ahead of it's time.

I'm thinking about jumping back in if the community is still going.

Booshka

I've been playing Shadowrun since release and it is still my favorite game on the 360, I've never played with the GAF community, but I'm always down to game with people who love the game as much as I do. I think my list is full so just send me a game invite or message and I'll try to make some room on my friends list. Happy Teleporting!

Brownmonkey

Neo Member
I remember beta testing this game back in the day, and really enjoying it for the first couple of months after its release. But I recently played a couple of public matches the other night and found that the people still playing this game are either skilled veterans, and kids who got the game as an unwanted present from their grandparents. But i bet there is still pretty active private match community, i just havent found it.

Is it completely useless to jump into this game now? How advanced is it, and how much ass kicking can a noob look forward to until he learns the ropes? Gamertag is sandline, if anyone is looking for target practice.

Booshka

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is it completely useless to jump into this game now? How advanced is it, and how much ass kicking can a noob look forward to until he learns the ropes? Gamertag is sandline, if anyone is looking for target practice.
No definitely not, there are plenty of veterans (myself being one of them), but there are also a lot of noobs and people who play it more casually. Also, the online community isn't as harsh to newcomers, we understand that it's not a good idea to scare away people by being assholes. Just play all the tutorials, maybe some bot matches by yourself, when you go into Live matches use your headset and communicate. Hopefully at least one or two people will be willing to help you out and play as a team. Even if you are inexperienced, if you play as a team, you are bound to succeed.

I suggest convincing a friend (from XBL or IRL) to get the game with you, that way you guys can learn the game together and have more fun. The game is definitely advanced, probably the most complex shooter on a console, but it's very fun and learning the game is a big part of that fun. I'll send you a friend request and try to help you learn it, and hopefully enjoy it.

charsace

AltogetherAndrews said:
FR charsace if you want someone to play with. I've been playing this game since day one.

Oreoleo

Got this on PC a few weeks ago. Haven't played a ton but it's a pretty decent game.

gt is Orellio I'm gonna go through and add a few of you guys right now.

Edit: So by a few I mean Charsace and Horns. This thread is even more dead than I realized.

Double edit: And Gregor, but he's been offline since the beginning of August..

Orellio said:
Got this on PC a few weeks ago. Haven't played a ton but it's a pretty decent game.

gt is Orellio I'm gonna go through and add a few of you guys right now.

Edit: So by a few I mean Charsace and Horns. This thread is even more dead than I realized.

Double edit: And Gregor, but he's been offline since the beginning of August..

I'll sign on and add you. I play on the PC.

JdFoX187

Banned
How much is the PC version? I have it on the 360, but am becoming more attuned to KB/M. If it's cheap, I'll pick it up and get back into it.

JdFoX187 said:
How much is the PC version? I have it on the 360, but am becoming more attuned to KB/M. If it's cheap, I'll pick it up and get back into it.

Probably find it online for $10.

You'll enjoy it a lot more on the PC IMO. The controls are better, and it runs well. Not that the 360 version didn't run well, but Shwdowrun PC was a good port,

I'm thinking of playing some Shadowrun until Bad Company 2 comes out. Any of the old GAF Shadowrun crew want to get some games together? I could especially use some PC players to finally get my Mine is the Superior Platform achievement. Any night this week works for me after like 9:30 EST.

JdFoX187 said:
I finally got the game running on my PC. Fucking Windows in its drivers.

Cool. We should play sometime. My GamerTag is RyoGCH.

And for anyone who is interested, there is a decent community organizing Tournaments and Ladders and whatnot over at ThisIsShadowrun.Com. MLG still has Shadowrun stuff going I believe, but I'm a lot of people would be much more at home playing with a community other than MLG.

Anyway...Still trying to get my last few achievements. I'm absolutely terrible with Minions. I don't know what it is but I am. Having fun with Shadowrun again though. Glad I'm revisiting for the 10,000th time.

Think I'm going to do some Shadowrunning this weekend if anyone else on GAF is interested in getting into the mix.

My GamerTag is RyoGCH.

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
Cool. We should play sometime. My GamerTag is RyoGCH.

And for anyone who is interested, there is a decent community organizing Tournaments and Ladders and whatnot over at ThisIsShadowrun.Com. MLG still has Shadowrun stuff going I believe, but I'm a lot of people would be much more at home playing with a community other than MLG.

Anyway...Still trying to get my last few achievements. I'm absolutely terrible with Minions. I don't know what it is but I am. Having fun with Shadowrun again though. Glad I'm revisiting for the 10,000th time.
Yea that site is mostly made up of the MLG SR community. MLG took down the SR forum and it hasn't been on gamebattles for over a year, so someone finally made their own site to support the community.

My GT and Username on that site is Booshka if anyone wants to play, my list is almost full so just send a text message and we can play that way.

ThisisShadowrun.com may actually get a paid tourney going, they've had 3 free ones so far that have done mildly well. They run the MLG 4v4 settings though, which I know is a big turnoff for people, but with such a small community, it's the only feasible option.

Personally, I'd love to try playing 6v6 Raid competitively within the vein of Counter-Strike where both teams play Offense and Defense, and most rounds won wins the match. It's very improbable though, just a pipe dream.

Talked a friend into buying Shadowrun. What, 3 years later? Probably going to be playing a lot this weekend if any other members of GAF want to hop online and do some Shadowrunning.

Tawpgun

ToyMachine228 said:
Talked a friend into buying Shadowrun. What, 3 years later? Probably going to be playing a lot this weekend if any other members of GAF want to hop online and do some Shadowrunning.
Soon as i'm done with this Halo community tournament I am totally going to try and see if my skill is still there.

I <3 this game too much.

Booshka

A27 Tawpgun said:
Soon as i'm done with this Halo community tournament I am totally going to try and see if my skill is still there.

I <3 this game too much.
4 year Anniversary! I'm always down to play, my favorite MP game, shoot me a friend request or message and we can play.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
So are we reviving ShadowRun? I am all for that as I hate all the current team killers.
It would be nice if we could get a good amount of people all playing together, makes it a lot easier to vote out team killers. They are still out there, but a lot of their names are known, and the community is pretty quick to boot them out.

How sad are you if after all these years you get your fun from TKing in Shadowrun? And you do it enough to have a reputation...LOL

Hopping on Shadowrun with my buddy soon. If you want to join in, hop into Matchmaking. I'm sure there's not too many people playing so we're bound to run into each other.

Booshka

gregor7777 said:
How sad are you if after all these years you get your fun from TKing in Shadowrun? And you do it enough to have a reputation...LOL
It is pretty sad, mostly it is the same group of players that just keep making Silver accounts and play on PC. It is a lot easier to TK on M+KB and also easier to get away with it using multiple accounts every few weeks. It is very sad, which is why I am glad to have a solid group of players to play Private Matches. What is left of the Public community is pretty good about booting TK'ers out, especially suspicious ones with Silver accounts.

I may be on a little later today, and I will definitely be on tomorrow, 4 year anniversary and all, hopefully I can get more people from my friends list on.

Got some games in now I'm going to bed. Definitely going to play more tomorrow. I've missed this game. All my games tonight were good too. Almost 2 to 1 K/D ratio with plenty of resurrections.

I'm still trying to get my 100 Minion Kills achievement four years later. Never going to get that damn thing. I suck with Minions. Doesn't suit my play style. I have to play shittier in order to get the achievement and it bugs me.

Was amazed that when I got on Shadowrun today I had a 2MB update to download. It hasn't been THAT long since I last played. Anyone know what was in it?

Also found out that you can directly download Shadowrun from the Xbox Live Marketplace now. Again, amazed.

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
Was amazed that when I got on Shadowrun today I had a 2MB update to download. It hasn't been THAT long since I last played. Anyone know what was in it?

Also found out that you can directly download Shadowrun from the Xbox Live Marketplace now. Again, amazed.
It definitely wasnt a new update, but sometimes the game wants you to update again after not playing it for a long time. Not sure which of the three updates you downloaded, because they only released three.

I have also found the best way to get Minion kills is to play Elf and move around the map summoning it on Trolls, groups of players, and players that are bleeding out on Trees. It takes a long time and is inconsistent, but that is the best way to get I think. I have tried to do it as Dwarf, but it is hard to move around the map quickly and find a good opportunity to summon it. Usually as Dwarf I just summon it in an area or point it at someone and it chases them across the map.

Glad that my Shadowrunnin' skills haven't diminished. I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to play. Let's hope for some PC players. I still need "Mine is the Superior Platform".

Booshka

Just played a couple games, someone decided to be a bitch and use one of the few map exploits to lag the game out. Some weird shit in Shadowrun where there are tiny insignificant spots on maps, and sometimes through walls by glitching, that if a player stays in, will lag the game out. It has something to do with the map callouts that are in the game, in these spots, the callout will flash "UNKNOWN" in red. If you stay in a spot like this for too long the game will go crazy then lag out.

Really weird, it sucks that some people know where the spots are on the maps that have them, and they will be salty assholes and lag it out on purpose. A couple times I have caught players doing it and killed/betrayed them to get them out of the spot and save the game. Some strange characters play this game, probably some of the most socially awkward people ever.
self-incrimination joke I know

Played with Kimona last night at random. She used to work at FASA. Community Manager maybe? Don't remember but it was kind of cool.

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
Played with Kimona last night at random. She used to work at FASA. Community Manager maybe? Don't remember but it was kind of cool.
You sure it wasn't the bot? Because that would be amazing if that was true, I've ran into a few of the old devs, but last time I can remember was like a year ago, FASA Fall I think was his GT.

You are correct, Kimona was the community manager.

Booshka said:
You are correct, Kimona was the community manager.

I don't think it was because she was in multiple games that I got in. One would disconnect, I'd get in another game, it would disconnect and then I'd run into her again. Several times when she quit the game ended which makes me think she was host.

I didn't know that bots sometimes use the Kimona name though. I haven't seen it the entire time I've been playing Shadowrun recently so it makes me think it was a coincidence and it was actually her.

Booshka

ToyMachine228 said:
I don't think it was because she was in multiple games that I got in. One would disconnect, I'd get in another game, it would disconnect and then I'd run into her again. Several times when she quit the game ended which makes me think she was host.

I didn't know that bots sometimes use the Kimona name though. I haven't seen it the entire time I've been playing Shadowrun recently so it makes me think it was a coincidence and it was actually her.
All you have to do is click on the name, if it gives you options for gamercard, mute, etc, it's a real person. Sounds like it was her from what you are saying.

Gaspode_T

This one guy on the FASA team had the most awesome haircut I had ever seen.

I wrote a 3 page long e-mail to Shane Kim about Shadowrun long before the E3 reveal, because I had seen design documents and videos of it. I was reading GAF and cringing that day when the trailer started and all of GAF started hating on it exactly how I knew was going to happen. Was pretty pissed off about the situation at the time but seriously not a bad game...Most undeserved disrespect for a game...if people can rename it in their heads to "Team Fantasy Fortress" or something maybe it would receive the legacy it deserves.

Still playing quite a bit of Shadowrun on Live. And still trying to get my Minion achievement. As well as a few others. I've been 44 of 50 forever.

Booshka

I only need Master Thief, and I have come very close to getting it multiple times, but it is so hard now that everyone pays attention and know all the sneaky Artifact runs.

Booshka said:
I only need Master Thief, and I have come very close to getting it multiple times, but it is so hard now that everyone pays attention and know all the sneaky Artifact runs.

It's the exact opposite for me. I'll get in games where literally no one plays defense. You can score untouched because no one is guarding the score zone.

Can we get some PC players on sometime soon and get a GAF game going? I need my "Mine is the Superior Platform" achievement still.

Top Bottom