• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Slacker

Anyone pumped? Apparently it has gone gold, which I suppose isn't too surprising as the game has apparently been done for months, but was delayed to build teh hypez.

So where's the hype? I haven't heard anything about the game that I haven't sought out myself. Are people getting bombarded with Sims 3 info and I'm just missing out? Anyone here getting excited?

And now, since this has become a psuedo-official thread (I'll add more information as I have time, if anyone wants to help I'll C&P it in here):

---------------

Release date: June 2, 2009

Reviews

90% Gamespot

The latest Sims game is also the greatest, striking a terrific balance between the fresh and the familiar.

89% IGN

This is simply a better playing Sims experience, and once you experience the freedom to hit the town without hitting a load screen you’ll be hard-pressed to go back to any of the earlier games.

More here at Metacritic, where it's at 86% at the moment.

What's new?

- Needs are now "moodlets," and the eight have been cut to six: hunger, bladder, energy, social, hygiene, and fun (comfort and environment have been removed).

- Player can toggle aging/death on and off.

- Minor features from the Sims 1 and 2 expansion packs are now included: The young adult life stage, cell phones, personal inventory, gardening, etc.

- Major features from the expansion packs (like going to college) are not available yet.

- Players can wander their sims around the neighborhood with no loading times.

Free stuff in the Sims Store

--== Stuff ==--

- Mega Lord Sponge
- Desktop Lord Sponge
- Fanta Fridge
- Lord Sponge's Computer
- Toyota Prius

--== Clothes ==-- (thanks platypotamus)

- Orange Tank Top
- Lord Sponge Tee
- Orange Tank Top for Chicks
- Fanta Shirt
- Lord Sponge Tee for Chicks

Awesomeness in the thread

- ananag impregnates every woman in Riverside

Awesomeness elsewhere

- Alice and Kev: The story of being homeless in The Sims 3

Darklord

Banned
It was delayed so polish it more wasn't it? But yeah, I've barely seen any hype.

Extra polish from EA means it was an unplayable mess.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I like the idea that Sims 3 seems to focus more on a community and the lives of people instead of focusing on little mundane stuff like needing to take care of your Sims' bladder 10x a day. That was one trouble I had with the previous Sims. I often find it hard to get the kid Sims to do well because they don't have time to study ! They get cranky due to a lack of social life and won't do anything I tell them to do :(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Throw a couple adds on some girly magazines, maybe put up some banners and videos in walmart, and the game will have legs until the end of time.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I've seen a bunch of billboards in the Bay Area over the past month or so. Which surprises me that with a June 3rd release date I haven't heard anything about this game.

Although I do spend 99% of my time here on NeoGAF so that's not too surprising:/

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm interested, but I'm concerned about the quality, because for one of the biggest selling game franchises, there's very little fanfare or coverage. This makes me think it's so bad they are too embarassed to show it to game reviewers.

R0nn

I for one am completely and utterly surprised that:
1. the game was supposedly finished for months now
2. it's actually gone gold today

Seriously, I didn't even know it was already this far along. Also, I haven't seen or read anything about the game. All I knew was that it was in development, that's it. :lol

Ledsen

It doesn't need "hype". People like my girlfriend will buy it and play it for thousands of hours, just like they played (and still play) Sims 2.

edgefusion

Woohoo, The Sims 3! :D The temptation is certainly there to torrent it but EA must be rewarded for the simultaneous Windows/Mac release. I won't be buying the inevitable gazillion expansion packs that come out though (not to imply I'd torrent them instead), the total cost of The Sims 2 must go into the hundreds.

Dabanton

Stoney Mason said:
The Sims franchise is the sort of franchise that doesn't need "hype" in the traditional hardcore model.

Yep,my GF knows it's coming and the other fans know too,i actually like the quiet anticipation for it,and it's going to have looooong legs. Compare it to the ridiculous and embarassing streams of hype that the 'hardcore' games get.

I am incredibly pumped, though I refuse to buy it until it's on Steam.

But yeah, I thought they delayed both this and Godfather 2 so they could do some more and better marketing, but I haven't really seen anything for either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've seen a couple giant ads on buildings around the Los Angeles area.

Slacker

BobJustBob said:
I am incredibly pumped, though I refuse to buy it until it's on Steam.
Do you have any reason to believe it'll ever be on Steam? I get all the PC games I can there too, but I don't see it happening here.

Darklord

Banned
Dabanton said:
No more lots,which means we can walk around the town.

Which for the Sims is a revelation.:D

About bloody time. Should have done that in Sims 2. I'm still iffy about the graphics, they'd be ok if they had amazing animation but they really don't. :\

I haven't played a Sims game since the original but I did have a lot of fun building houses and torturing the poor souls. I might just jump in again.

Is the game implementing some sort of hybrid software rendering?

The CPU requirements for those with a standard ATI/Nvidia discrete card only call for a 2ghz P4 but integrated graphics users need to ahve a dual core rig. Are they using that extra core to help with graphics then? Could be quite an interesting technology implementation and its a really smart way to optimise for laptops that are almost universally CPU heavy.

Gravijah

Darklord said:
About bloody time. Should have done that in Sims 2. I'm still iffy about the graphics, they'd be ok if they had amazing animation but they really don't. :\

Hey asshole people like me like to play games on the computers they bought from Wal Mart for 500 bucks!

Gravijah said:
Hey asshole people like me like to play games on the computers they bought from Wal Mart for 500 bucks!

Others prefer gaming to advance at more than a turtle's pace. A GPU about 3x the capabilities of those featured in the PS3/X360 can be had for $75 right now (4830), there's just no excuse to be running a P4 and Nvidia 5 series based rig anymore if you play anything other than flash games.

I really do kind of wish they were a bit more forceful pushing the technology, huge mainstream games like this can work wonders for bringing the hardware of the PC userbase upto date which in turn is only ever going to benefit the platforma s a whole. Designing the thing around a 2ghz P4, a CPU that wasn't even decent by the standards of half a decade ago, isn't really going to manage that.

Edit: The P4 is 8 year old tech now. Jesus, that's insane, pushing the requirements up to 5 year old hardware surely isn't asking much is it?

Slacker said:
Do you have any reason to believe it'll ever be on Steam? I get all the PC games I can there too, but I don't see it happening here.

EA has been on Steam for months. Spore is on there, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Burnout Paradise (which was out on PC for about a month before it showed up on Steam, but it still came) ... I see no reason it wouldn't.

BobJustBob said:
EA has been on Steam for months. Spore is on there, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Burnout Paradise (which was out on PC for about a month before it showed up on Steam, but it still came) ... I see no reason it wouldn't.

For whatever reason the stupid buggers won't sell their games to UK customers, but people from the US and continental Europe are fair game. Makes perfect sense.

Darklord

Banned
Gravijah said:

Hey asshole, remember the jump Sims 2 took from Sims 1? Were you bitching then about graphics? No. They could make it look twice as good and still keep the specs rock bottom.

Meier

Ledsen said:
It doesn't need "hype". People like my girlfriend will buy it and play it for thousands of hours, just like they played (and still play) Sims 2.
Mine is very pumped -- she was considering getting a new PC just to play it but then her laptop screen cracked and she had no choice. Win win for her. :lol

I haven't seen any advertising at all in Chicago though. EA did a major push for Spore by comparison (not that it helped...).

mr stroke

game of the summer(sales wise)

Gaf doesn't give a shit but the game will be massive

ads are everywhere-
f89x4.jpg

Tubobutts

I'm probably going to get it maybe. I had fun with the first two, but got sick of having to buy 837548937948 expansions.

My girl will be getting it day ZERO.

Mine is very pumped -- she was considering getting a new PC just to play it but then her laptop screen cracked and she had no choice. Win win for her.

t doesn't need "hype". People like my girlfriend will buy it and play it for thousands of hours, just like they played (and still play) Sims 2.

i sense a pattern... :D

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm quite excited about this and may get it when it gets out. I just hope EA resist the temptation to release a billion different expansion packs afterward though.

Top Bottom