• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Retro

Wario64 said:
They had a demo of this at the Apple Store and it's basically the worst demo ever. Well that was after I found out that it was just a demo on the sims creation part. I thought it'd be a demo of the actual game but I guess people would just stay in the store playing all day.

It may have been the web based demo that they released last week, it's very clumsy and limited, actually makes the game look worse than it probably will.

Also, for the Animal Crossing addict in all of us (and who wasn't, at some point, obsessed with paying off that sumbitch Tom Nook to get a second floor?), this is a very cool read;

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/blog.jsp?author=Eric%20Holmberg-Weidler#CollectinginTheSims3

Hightlights:
- You can catch fish, and then eat them, mount them on the wall, or put them in aquariums.

- The same goes for insects; mount them or put them in terrariums. Not sure if you can eat them, but I bet you can.

- You can hunt for rare minerals and smelt them into bars or display them in museum cases.

- You can collect plants and grow them in your own garden (Sims 2 had this in an expansion, but it was developed to test the implementation for Sims 3). You can then use those plants as ingredients in new recipes, some of which are just awesome (there's a recipe for Ambrosia which can bring a dead sim back to life).

- Apparently Sims have favorite dishes that give them a positive Moodlet, and specific dishes provide specific effects (Fish would obviously be "Brain food", I assume).

Let's put it this way; the Sims for me were always a minor element of the game, a distraction for when you run out of house ideas and want to see what people will actually do in your enormous houses.... but I have to admit that I am actually looking forward to playing with the Sims themselves this time around. If only to catch an evil vampire fish.

Davey Cakes

Back in the day I loved just doing the money cheat in The Sims and building giant houses filled with the most expensive furniture. Well, doing that, and also occasionally torturing Sim residents by trapping them in small rooms.

However, with The Sims 2 I actually played the game without cheating, and I loved it. Finding a job, getting promoted, starting a family, and renovating my house was just really satisfying, and thus the game became one of my favorites of the last generation, easily.

I have high hopes for The Sims 3.

Retro

Ookami-kun said:
Good lord, the customization is made of win.

Yay for wooden bath tubs!

Dude, you have no idea... I know it's in German, but scroll down to the screenshots and check out some of these customization options.

http://www.cynamite.de/index.cfm?pid=784&pk=18125

Here's a few for those who don't want to bother scrolling through the sites. Adding links for the larger images so we're not too 56k unfriendly / breaking tables.:lol

16j352s.jpg

For when you want to get a bite to eat, but you just can't stand the thought of being more than 5 feet from NeoGAF at any time.:lol

1z4v9g3.jpg

More fridges.

5nvpt.jpg

Very stylish bathtubs. Who hasn't wanted a deep blood red bath?

5jup09.jpg

This one speaks for itself.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2eo9udj.jpg
Some cabinets.

http://i44.tinypic.com/sgr4pl.jpg
Overhead cabinets. I'm not sure if Sims 2 had these, but the Original didn't.

http://i42.tinypic.com/34takon.jpg
Couches! Note the completely different patterns going on there. You're not just swapping color options, you're also picking stripes and such. Pretty cool.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29ek85t.jpg
Looks like a ton of girly beds.

dLMN8R

KibblesBits said:
is dialing home part of the disc check?
There is no activation or phoning home in Sims 3. Just a disk check. That's it.

Securom is a suite of tools, including disk checks, limited activations, phoning home, and more. It is up to the developer which portions of that suite to use, and Sims 3 only uses the disk check.

Just like games have been using Securom for years for.

Retro

I've been reading up a bit, and it sounds like EA is purposely trying to complicate or outright shutdown custom content creation/installation. Obviously with the intention of ensuring only their content (which has a price tag firmly affixed to it) is the only content you can download and add to the game.

Arguably, the best part of the game for me was being able to go online and browse what other people have created, get hit with inspiration, and download custom content. The built-in furniture, at least after a while, tends to get boring, and there was always a slew of custom models and textures to download to keep things interesting. And while I think the create-a-style feature will help, I think if EA tries to prohibit the community from creating their own content (for free), then a huge part of the game will be lost.

It was always cool to see people put together really awesome themed sets, that really stood out from what was offered in the game. So losing the 'community creation' aspect will hurt quite a bit; I can't go out and download somebody's awesome minimalist set, because EA has made it impossible to add.

On the other hand, there were about 200 morons making ugly recolors for every one decent creator, and so the community content was often flooded with poorly done content too. It was a pain in the ass to wade through all of that crap; it was a doubled edged sword, in my opinion.

It's still too early to tell, but with the SimsStore already offering 4 entire sets (over 100 items) it makes me more than a little irritated that the game is shipping with downloadable 'extras' that by rights should have been included in the full game (after all, they're done; it's not like this is post-release content).

Some people have already done Teh Maths and found that store-bought items are 40 cents each, while the items generally provided in an expansion pack were 20 cents each.

I'm not ready to put on my tinfoil hat and start shouting how EA purposely limited the built-in objects so they could rape people with micro-transactions later, but the suspicion is growing. I'm still probably going to buy it, but I am not as excited as I was knowing now that the nickel-and-dime'ing will start even before the install finishes.

That said, I know it's only a matter of when, not if, the hackers and crackers get in and develop their own tools to allow you to import objects. It is my hope that EA is aware of what a huge part of their community they're pissing off by limiting created content, and intend for the store to be "Built-in Quality", while still allowing the community to create as before. Sort of an official way to get new stuff without having to worry about poor quality items.

I had read somewhere that the store was going to allow user content to be shared, and rated in a YouTube like manner. Maybe that only applies to color/texture styles and not objects, we'll have to see.

dLMN8R said:
There is no activation or phoning home in Sims 3. Just a disk check. That's it.

Securom is a suite of tools, including disk checks, limited activations, phoning home, and more. It is up to the developer which portions of that suite to use, and Sims 3 only uses the disk check.

Just like games have been using Securom for years for.

I'm getting conflicting information from the modding community and I trust them MUCH more than you.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So uh, I'm supposed to be meeting these chappies for an interview next week about Sims 3. Considering the game is actually out a few days after the date there's probably not going to be much room for hard hitting questions about the game's content, but if anybody has any legitimate questions they'd like me to ask them about feel free to list them here.

Retro

SovanJedi said:
So uh, I'm supposed to be meeting these chappies for an interview next week about Sims 3. Considering the game is actually out a few days after the date there's probably not going to be much room for hard hitting questions about the game's content, but if anybody has any legitimate questions they'd like me to ask them about feel free to list them here.

What exactly are their plans for user-created custom content? Will they be putting any tools out to help the creator community?

Are there any plans to allow users to post their own creations (custom meshes included) to a central location where other players can download them and rank them in a Youtube-like fashion? A similar feature was implemented for Spore and it seemed to work really well there. I already know they intend to do this with texture/color schemes, but what about meshes?

With the Sim Store expected to be continually updated with new items, will they ever discount old items? Will SimStore items ever be sold / bundled onto discs (for players who don't have access to a credit card)?

That's pretty much it for me. I already know when Sims 3 will be getting pets / universities / apartments and such; expansions.

dLMN8R

KibblesBits said:
I bed to differ but it's a wait and see thing now.
But why would you beg to differ? Why do you think that the company that was completely transparent about the intrusive DRM they used on Spore and other titles would think they would be able to get away with flat-out lying on their web site about the exact same issue for another title?

Any sources telling you otherwise are probably confused that Securom =/= DRM.

The Sims 3 is using Securom in the exact same way that Fallout 3 did - no activation limits, no online authentication, no intrusive DRM. Just a disk check + CD Key.

More importantly, why are you believing anything that piece of shit pirates are saying in the first place? These are the same self-important egotistical retards who will justify pirating Spore because of DRM and then continue pirating even when it comes to a World of Goo or other independantly developed game.

dLMN8R

Ookami-kun said:
It's been proven that they are just saving face. The "new content" is really just a new neighborhood which you need to download.
You have two radically different topics in your post and are mistakenly confusing them to be related in any way.

And no, nothing has been "proven" until a legitimate customer purchases the game when it is out and is incapable of playing it without first activating it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They are already in stores, and I heard some have already sold their games.

And my bad, I thought the news link was about the pirated version getting less content.

Anyway, yeah, the install only asks for the Serials and just the correct disc.

Aponi

I'd pre-ordered from Amazon back in... February? I feel like there was some bonus that came with it, but it's saying "Ships June 8th". So now I'm tempted to just cancel that and either download directly from EA or go grab it at Best Buy. Anyone else have a pre-order with Amazon to cross-check shipping dates?

UltiGamer

I wish companies used programs to let their prospective customers know if their computers could run the game or not. That is the one thing I miss most about computer games now. Perhaps this isn't as profitable for computer games anymore though. But it sure beats the hell out of having to figure out every last spec of my computer that I hardly use for games to see if it will run it or not. Not to mention I would think it would boost some sales from the unsure/on the fence people.

UltiGamer said:
I wish companies used programs to let their prospective customers know if their computers could run the game or not. That is the one thing I miss most about computer games now. Perhaps this isn't as profitable for computer games anymore though. But it sure beats the hell out of having to figure out every last spec of my computer that I hardly use for games to see if it will run it or not. Not to mention I would think it would boost some sales from the unsure/on the fence people.
That is why Microsoft introduced PC Score with Vista and continues this with Se7en!

UltiGamer

Ah, I don't have vista... Just a PowerPC G4 Apple laptop and an XP pc up stairs. But my girlfriend does so I will have to check that out.

dLMN8R said:
But why would you beg to differ? Why do you think that the company that was completely transparent about the intrusive DRM they used on Spore and other titles would think they would be able to get away with flat-out lying on their web site about the exact same issue for another title?

Any sources telling you otherwise are probably confused that Securom =/= DRM.

The Sims 3 is using Securom in the exact same way that Fallout 3 did - no activation limits, no online authentication, no intrusive DRM. Just a disk check + CD Key.

More importantly, why are you believing anything that piece of shit pirates are saying in the first place? These are the same self-important egotistical retards who will justify pirating Spore because of DRM and then continue pirating even when it comes to a World of Goo or other independantly developed game.

Ok, now that you've got that out of your system. I said nothing about piracy, the post wasn't even about that. I'm talking about people who program and mod, how they got the game is not my quarry, what they are finding in the code and reporting is what I'm concerned with.

I'm surprised that memories are gone. What are we without out memories? Oh, and playing multiple households resets a lot of things! That's going to take getting used to...

Caesar III said:
That is why Microsoft introduced PC Score with Vista and continues this with Se7en!

Whilst it was a nice idea in theory its implementation and subsequant support leaves a lot to be desired. Really its not difficult to work out if a game will run fine on your rig these days. Any piece of crap PC or laptop sold in the last 2-3 years will have a dual core processor and a couple of gigs of RAM so its almost always down to the GPU, let us know what GPU you have and that's likely enough to go on.

Its almost always the bottleneck in rigs not specifically fitted out with gaming in mind, thankfully its also one of the simplest and cheapest parts to upgrade as well. You can have a GPU that'll run anything out there on damn near max settings for $75 these days, so long as you're not expecting insane resolutions at the same time.

Retro

KibblesBits said:
I'm surprised that memories are gone. What are we without out memories? Oh, and playing multiple households resets a lot of things! That's going to take getting used to...

Memories are replaced by "Moodlets", which serve as duration based bonuses or hindrances based on events within the game. A great preview of these was provided in one of the blog articles above. Here's the link; http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/05/the_sims_3_whats_it_got_in_its.php

They basically work like Debuffs and Buffs in any MMORPG, and have requirements for clearing them. Moodlets handle a lot in the game, apparently. For example, rather than having to stop everything and run to the bathroom, a sim will simply suffer a Moodlet that reduces their mood until you resolve it (in this case, by draining the snake).

Boss Doggie

Yeah. Essentially needs aren't the ones that tell your actual mood, but rather the moodlets themselves. Needs only give specific moodlets that can add or deduct your mood.

Dead Man

UltiGamer said:
Can You Run It? not 100%, but I find it pretty useful for checking quickly.

Only a few days away. I've been itching to play The Sims for many months but have been holding off in the hopes that I'd get to play Sims 3 at point. I've also almost completely ignored all news concerning its gameplay so I'm looking foward learning and exploring the new take on The Sims.

It's a pity to see there is still some DRM confusion rolling around. Hopefully by the time Dragon Age rolls around, this sort of thing will stay much further in the background. I'm elated that EA is backing away from limited activations and hope that they don't lose sales due to assumptions based on earlier code.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I didn't even realize this game was coming out 'till just recently. Why haven't I seen any media or anything on this? Can't wait.

Retro

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah. Essentially needs aren't the ones that tell your actual mood, but rather the moodlets themselves. Needs only give specific moodlets that can add or deduct your mood.

From what I have read, they now have Wishes which are similar to needs, and you can opt to ignore them (with no ill effect) or Promise them (which increases the reward you get for meeting the need, but adds a penalty if you fail).

Not sure on that though, it sounds like you have the game already though, so maybe you could enlighten us?

Boss Doggie

Think of them as aspirations. Wishes appear randomly, but you can't do anything about it until you promise it to your Sims (you can promise 4, and you can cancel any pre-existing wishes). There are also 2 (or 3 I think) "negative" wishes that appear randomly.

Fulfilling them grants you lifetime points (which also goes up as time goes by) which lets you purchase bonuses (some are bonus "attributes" like Professional Slacker, which lets you choose the "take it easy" selections on jobs without the work penalty, and some are items, like the Mood Zapper, which lets you cure negative moods most of the time). Also, you get the "Fulfilled" moodlet which boosts your Mood.

tabsina

Ookami-kun said:
Think of them as aspirations. Wishes appear randomly, but you can't do anything about it until you promise it to your Sims (you can promise 4, and you can cancel any pre-existing wishes). There are also 2 (or 3 I think) "negative" wishes that appear randomly.

Fulfilling them grants you lifetime points (which also goes up as time goes by) which lets you purchase bonuses (some are bonus "attributes" like Professional Slacker, which lets you choose the "take it easy" selections on jobs without the work penalty, and some are items, like the Mood Zapper, which lets you cure negative moods most of the time). Also, you get the "Fulfilled" moodlet which boosts your Mood.

just a note on the bolded part, my understanding was that you could complete a wish before it is chosen in the 4 promised wishes, so long as you complete it before it vanishes (ie. if you don't promise, it'll vanish over time)

Boss Doggie

tabsina said:
just a note on the bolded part, my understanding was that you could complete a wish before it is chosen in the 4 promised wishes, so long as you complete it before it vanishes (ie. if you don't promise, it'll vanish over time)

Hmm actually, that's right. My bad!

Also, you can scroll between "pending to be promised" wishes if arrows appear beside it.

Zzoram

CabbageRed said:
It's a pity to see there is still some DRM confusion rolling around. Hopefully by the time Dragon Age rolls around, this sort of thing will stay much further in the background. I'm elated that EA is backing away from limited activations and hope that they don't lose sales due to assumptions based on earlier code.

There is no DRM confusion around this game, except the confusion that pirates are trying to create to justify their piracy.

Was going to preorder this on D2D today, but I can't get the site to accept any of my credit cards for whatever reason. I guess I'll have to buy a stupid disc copy unless it shows up on another digital distributor before Tuesday. :\

Clevinger

platypotamus said:
Was going to preorder this on D2D today, but I can't get the site to accept any of my credit cards for whatever reason. I guess I'll have to buy a stupid disc copy unless it shows up on another digital distributor before Tuesday. :\

have you tried gamersgate?

Top Bottom