• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

Underdog

Neo Member
In case anyone missed it:
Gamestop is giving away all 4 sidekicks untill January 31, while supplies last. Same 4 from last year's Frito Lay deal.

Now, here's the kicker: You get 1 sidekick out of 4, when you spend $29.99 or more on Skylanders stuff (everything except accesories). So, for all 4 you have to spend at least $120.00 across different transactions...unless you know someone in the store I guess. :p

Would be really cool if my Gamestop even knew about this. Walked in and they had look it up. Loved it when they looked at me and said "I don't think we have those. We are like the stepchildren....we get left overs. We NEVER get any of the new stuff." Of course they had the Striker triple pack on the shelf...too bad I had already pre-ordered 3 of them.

My kids have been talking about Thumpback, Eyebrawl and Ninjini since they got the game in November.

If I have to spend $30 on Skylanders products to get the sidekicks, it isn't worth it....I already have everything that Gamestop has....assuming I can even find a Gamestop that has the sidekicks. We have just about all the Giants - there are a few that we don't have because we have them from Spyro's, and my kids just aren't interested in those characters. It may end up being cheaper to pick them up on eBay

Katzii

Anyone quoting gamemaster's collection posts needs a swift kick to the nuts.

Quoting it in full just to type one sentence without even using punctuation deserves a glowing red hot poker in the ass.

Just what I'd tried to convey in my post, although not quite so... Painfully.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Just a heads up for people who live in the UK. It seems that Argos' website is taking reserve on wave 3 figures, which includes Thumpback and Eye Brawl.

Saw this info on another website, and thought I would share it with you.

BooJoh

Skylanders are now nearly double their MSRP at Toys R Us. I honestly wish Activision would stop giving TRU exclusives and early stock, because of all the people out there scalping Skylanders, TRU are the worst offender.

RkOwnage

Very frustrated after today.

I want to know who handles the scheduling and releasing of these toys. There should be SET days, like any other video game release, so people know when to expect them and can prepare accordingly. Going around to different stores or calling every single day has become tiresome and I think I'm probably annoying the crap out of each retailer I call, even though I'm calling and asking a simple question, I can imagine other people doing the same thing.

It's quite frustrating and I don't know if I want to continue dealing with Activision's shenanigans.

Very frustrated after today.

I want to know who handles the scheduling and releasing of these toys. There should be SET days, like any other video game release, so people know when to expect them and can prepare accordingly. Going around to different stores or calling every single day has become tiresome and I think I'm probably annoying the crap out of each retailer I call, even though I'm calling and asking a simple question, I can imagine other people doing the same thing.

It's quite frustrating and I don't know if I want to continue dealing with Activision's shenanigans.

Welcome to the world that toy collectors have been living in forever.

RkOwnage

Alright,

I am down to missing JUST Boomer from the original game. I have worked very hard to get what I have and now I'm missing just this one. Does ANYONE know Anyone (friend of a brother whose Cousin is your roomate's sister, I don't care) that has access to one or knows someone who is looking to get rid of one?

I would be MOST grateful, as you're helping a new collector finish his set! I'd be willing to pay more than they sell for at retail (obviously), just let me know!!

Is there a post somewhere in this thread with all the contents of waves 1, 2 and 3? I noticed that Gamemaster just posted the wave 3 stuff, but I am not feeling looking all the past posts to find this information. It should be at OP.

RkOwnage

xAThbH2l.jpg

So, after days of calling and asking over and over if they had gotten their shipment in, GameStop beat me to the punch this morning by calling ME. They said they had 2 of each in, and since I had called every day asking about them, they made a note to call me when their shipment came in. I know they probably aren't allowed to do this, but I guess they sensed my desperation in wanting these two Giants. I also got one of the minis since I spent $30 there, they only had 2 to choose from, so I took Gill Grunt since he's who I'm using in the game atm.

Now I only need a Boomer and I am a set Skylander Collector!

What a good day so far! Thanks John @ GamStop!!

fernoca

Awesome... :/
Been eyeing out S2-Hex, since is one of the few characters I really like (I like Skylanders in general, but only buy the figures I want to play with). So, saw tons of her figures in-store.

I was playing originally on PS3, but no logner have one..and recently jumped to the Wii U and 3DS versions, so...why not buy Hex now..right?!

And today, I finally decide to buy it and...no store has her. :(

Let the hunt begin!! :(

Sora_N

So jealous, I really want one of the sidekicks. :/

I hope I see those Giants on the shelves eventually here in Canada, I will only buy them if I see them.

RkOwnage

About 35% done with the first game now, loving it. I don't have kids to play it with, it's just me (although our first is on the way, it's a girl!) I am loving the franchise and hope it continues...

I have decided to go ahead and pay a little more for the Boomer, found one for $30, and I guess I'll have to settle for that. I also am probably going to purchase the 3DS version of the game, especially to grab the Dark Spyro figure.

So far I've only leveled one Skylander, and that's Gill Grunt, because he's pretty fun and some of the achievements involve him, but I'll continue leveling more, and doing some heroic challenges to boost their stats. Are the heroic challenges in Giants different from the ones in this game or are they the same? Just wondering in advance.

Will post more tomorrow when I possibly pick up the 3DS Skylanders: SA!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Is there a post somewhere in this thread with all the contents of waves 1, 2 and 3? I noticed that Gamemaster just posted the wave 3 stuff, but I am not feeling looking all the past posts to find this information. It should be at OP.

Here you go

Giants wave 1 -

Giants: GS[W1] -

x2 Bouncer
x2 Swarm
x2 Crusher

Singles: GR[W1] -

x2 Fright Rider
x2 Pop Fizz
x2 Chill
x1 Slam Bam
x1 Terrafin
x1 Trigger Happy
x1 Zook
x1 Ignitor
x1 Whirlwind

Lightcore: GL[W1] -

x4 Drobot
x4 Prism Break
x4 Eruptor

Triples: GT[W1] -

x3 Pop Fizz/Whirlwind/Trigger Happy
x3 Ignitor/Chill/Zook

Battle Pack GB[W1] -

x6 Dragonfire Canon (Chop Chop/Canon/Shroomboom) (Golden at Gamestop but act fast as they're reverting to normal DFC)

Wave 2 -

Giants: GS[W2] -

x2 Hot Head
x2 Bouncer
x2 Swarm

Singles: GR[W2] -

x2 Sprocket
x2 Flashwing
x1 Flameslinger
x1 Double Trouble
x1 Gill Grunt
x1 Stump Smash
x1 Bash
x1 Drill Sergeant
x1 Hex
x1 Sonic Boom

Lightcore: GL[W2] -

x4 Jet-Vac
x4 Drobot
x4 Eruptor

Triples: GT[W2] -

x3 Sonic Boom/Sprocket/Stump Smash
x3 Gill Grunt/Flashwing/Double Trouble

Wave 3 -

Giants: GS[W3] -

x2 Thumpback
x2 Eye Brawl
x1 Hot Head
x1 Crusher

Singles: GR[W3] -

x2 Flashwing
x1 Pop Fizz
x1 Cynder
x1 Lightning Rod
x1 Prism Break
x1 Eruptor
x1 Stealth Elf
x1 Terrafin
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Stump Smash
x1 Drill Sergeant

Lightcore: GL[W3] -

x4 Shroomboom
x2 Jet-Vac
x2 Prism Break
x2 Eruptor
x2 Drobot

Triple: GT[W3] -

X3 Prism Break/Lightning Rod/Drill Sergeant
x3 Eruptor/Stealth Elf/Terrafin

Battle Pack: GB[W3] -

x5 Scorpion Striker (Zap/Catapult/Hot Dog
x1 Dragonfire Canon (Chop Chop/Canon/Shroomboom

Hope that helps.

rcl66

It's been a year and a half now - I don't get why they can't make enough of the new figures so it isn't so ridiculous trying to get them. The 2 new giant figures are no-where to be found around here. I think it's on purpose. Oh well, saves me money.

RkOwnage

Yeah, I don't understand it either, the only ones they're hurting is themselves, because people will buy them and sell at a high markup and they make no profit from it. It's stupid, but I have absolutely no faith in Activision, and they're the ones calling the shots. So.

Thanks, Gamemaster.

Any idea if more triple packs from the lightcore skylanders will be available on wave 4? Usually I buy everything possible in triple packs to save money, so I wait for the last wave to know if I have to buy any single pack.

RkOwnage

Hey GM, what's with the x2 etc? is that how many are in a box or what? Just looking for clarification, thanks for the list btw, much help!

Gotta pick up a Swarm now, been holding off due to funds, but might as well pick him up, also going for the 3DS SA tomorrow at TRU when I go by to see what their stock looks like. Happy hunting!

Hey, quick q, sorry if this has been asked. So if I put this on for the kid, and I put it on the pad for him (he's only 5 so I think having the screen and buttons together would make it a bit easier for him), if I jump in local co-op to help out or whatever, can he keep playing/looking at the game pad and I can play looking at the tv? Or would turning the co-op on switch his action off the pad and just put everything on the tv for both of us?

EDIT: Sorry for the unnecessary bump, I went back and found some comments regarding the questions and a helpful link to a vid interview :)

Gamemaster, another question for you: which figures from both games show ingame as different characters? I.e. like the legendary ones.
I am truing to grab only the variants that shows different ingame.
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong):

From Spyro`s Adventure:
- Dark Spyro
- Legendary Spyro
- Legendary Chop Chop
- Legendary Bash
- Legendary Trigger Happy

From Giants:
- Granite Crusher
- Legendary Slam Bam
- Legendary Jet Vac
- Legendary Ignitor
- Legendary Stealth Elf

Anuthing else?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Thanks, Gamemaster.

Any idea if more triple packs from the lightcore skylanders will be available on wave 4? Usually I buy everything possible in triple packs to save money, so I wait for the last wave to know if I have to buy any single pack.

So far, they only released the one (in the US) that is exclusive to Target stores. It has Eruptor, Drobot, and Prism Break. I "ASSUME" maybe they would do one more. They can't do two more, though, as there are only 8 Lightcores. However, so far, only one has been released.

Hey GM, what's with the x2 etc? is that how many are in a box or what? Just looking for clarification, thanks for the list btw, much help!

Gotta pick up a Swarm now, been holding off due to funds, but might as well pick him up, also going for the 3DS SA tomorrow at TRU when I go by to see what their stock looks like. Happy hunting!

Yeah, that's how many are in the box.

Hey, quick q, sorry if this has been asked. So if I put this on for the kid, and I put it on the pad for him (he's only 5 so I think having the screen and buttons together would make it a bit easier for him), if I jump in local co-op to help out or whatever, can he keep playing/looking at the game pad and I can play looking at the tv? Or would turning the co-op on switch his action off the pad and just put everything on the tv for both of us?

EDIT: Sorry for the unnecessary bump, I went back and found some comments regarding the questions and a helpful link to a vid interview :)

Yeah, if he is playing on Wii U, and he's using the Gamepad controller, you can jump in using a Wiimote/Nunchuck or the Controller Pad Pro, put your character on and play on the TV.

NOW, if you're talking about your kid playing on the Gamepad itself, there is no image on the TV at the same time. So, if you jumped in to play CO-OP, and he's playing on Gamepad by itself, then both of you would have to look at the Gamepad.

Gamemaster, another question for you: which figures from both games show ingame as different characters? I.e. like the legendary ones.
I am truing to grab only the variants that shows different ingame.
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong):

From Spyro`s Adventure:
- Dark Spyro
- Legendary Spyro
- Legendary Chop Chop
- Legendary Bash

From Giants:
- Granite Crusher
- Legendary Slam Bam
- Legendary Jet Vac
- Legendary Ignitor
- Legendary Stealth Elf

Anuthing else?

What shows up as different, whether cosmetic or just in name, is as follows -

- Dark Spyro
- Legendary Spyro
- Legendary Chop Chop
- Legendary Bash
- Legendary Bouncer
- Legendary Jet-Vac
- Legendary Chill (also Lightcore)
- Legendary Ignitor (also works on first game but won't be Legendary colors)
- Legendary Slam Bam (also works on first game)
- Legendary Stealth Elf (also works on first game)
- Scarlet Ninjini
- Punch Pop Fizz
- Royal Double Trouble (works on first game, but won't be his variant color)
- Granite Crusher
- Jade Flaswhing
- Molten Hot Dog
- Polar Whirlwind
- Gnarly Tree Rex
- GITD Cynder (will show up as Special Cynder)
- GITD Sonic Boom (will show up as Special Sonic Boom)
- GITD Fright Rider (will show up as Special Fright Rider)
- Bronze Flameslinger (will show up as Special Flameslinger)

Now then, I won't list these with the rest, because it's iffy if they show up or not, but these characters here -

- Stone Whirlwind
- Stone Zook
- Glitter Sprocket
- Glitter Hot Head
- Glitter Sonic Boom
- Flocked Stump Smash (Series 2 from wave 3)
- Flocked Eruptor
- Flocked LC Prism Break

HAVE A CHANCE to register as Special in some of the games. I think there is a glitch with them, which sucks to no end, that causes them not to register as Special in certain versions of the games, or on Spyro's Universe. It's iffy, and it sucks, because I would like to buy them, but am afraid they won't register as Special like they're supposed to. So, I leave them off of the list of what shows up as special, or in color, ingame.

Hope this helps.

NOW, if you're talking about your kid playing on the Gamepad itself, there is no image on the TV at the same time. So, if you jumped in to play CO-OP, and he's playing on Gamepad by itself, then both of you would have to look at the Gamepad.

Right, haha, so this was what I was trying to ask (sorry if unclear) and it's lucky you answered because that's not what I thought I'd figured out. So you can't have the image on the pad and on the tv at the same time basically? It's not a big deal but it'd be great if he could play ON the pad so he has the screen there with the buttons right in front of him too (he 's 5 so he still needs to look at the buttons often whilst he plays haha) and it'd be great if he needed some guidance I could play and kind of guide him around a wee bit. Obviously it would be more easy to do that if I could just look at the tv instead of looknig over his shoulder, but it's no problem. I'll probably jus shove in beside him and look at his screen then hopefully once he's comfortable with the controls etc. we can move it to the main tv. You might guess I don't have a wii u yet, considering getting this as his first console since he can have the screen right in front of him, and my girlfriend loves the lego games too, so just trying to figure out how each games handles coop and the off tv gameplay so figure out whats a good fit for him.

Really hard to find that info for some reason though, despite looking through coop specific reviews etc ha so thanks.

Argh, I am having a hard time trying to compile from where all those variants come from...

Also, there is a green Gill Grunt that is not in your list, Gamemaster.

stlobus

Right, haha, so this was what I was trying to ask (sorry if unclear) and it's lucky you answered because that's not what I thought I'd figured out. So you can't have the image on the pad and on the tv at the same time basically? It's not a big deal but it'd be great if he could play ON the pad so he has the screen there with the buttons right in front of him too (he 's 5 so he still needs to look at the buttons often whilst he plays haha) and it'd be great if he needed some guidance I could play and kind of guide him around a wee bit. Obviously it would be more easy to do that if I could just look at the tv instead of looknig over his shoulder, but it's no problem. I'll probably jus shove in beside him and look at his screen then hopefully once he's comfortable with the controls etc. we can move it to the main tv. You might guess I don't have a wii u yet, considering getting this as his first console since he can have the screen right in front of him, and my girlfriend loves the lego games too, so just trying to figure out how each games handles coop and the off tv gameplay so figure out whats a good fit for him.

Really hard to find that info for some reason though, despite looking through coop specific reviews etc ha so thanks.

You actually cannot play Giants cooperatively on just the Gamepad. To play cooperatively, you have to be using the TV. When you first start the game, it asks if you want to play "Single Player Mode" which does not use the TV.

Unfortunately, when using the TV, the Gamepad does not show the game at the same time. Instead, it shows a character screen with the character's stats and a bunch of other fun information like the amount of time that character's been used. You can also pull up the level's challenges to see what you're missing on the Pad instead of having to dig through menus mid level.

I really like what they've done with Giants on the Wii U with the stat stuff, but do wish they'd done a bit more.

You actually cannot play Giants cooperatively on just the Gamepad. To play cooperatively, you have to be using the TV. When you first start the game, it asks if you want to play "Single Player Mode" which does not use the TV.

Unfortunately, when using the TV, the Gamepad does not show the game at the same time. Instead, it shows a character screen with the character's stats and a bunch of other fun information like the amount of time that character's been used. You can also pull up the level's challenges to see what you're missing on the Pad instead of having to dig through menus mid level.

I really like what they've done with Giants on the Wii U with the stat stuff, but do wish they'd done a bit more.

Haha, I'm pretty confused now. General consensus seems to be at least you can't do what I'd like to have did which is have the game run on the tv and a video feed to the pad so it's running on there too. No big deal. It would definitely be nice if this stuff was a bit more standardised. I'm having trouble with this one game, and I haven't even looked any further about games that might be appropriate & he might like yet/how those might work, and so on. I'm sure we'll figure it out together, but thanks for everyone's input :)

BooJoh

Haha, I'm pretty confused now. General consensus seems to be at least you can't do what I'd like to have did which is have the game run on the tv and a video feed to the pad so it's running on there too. No big deal. It would definitely be nice if this stuff was a bit more standardised. I'm having trouble with this one game, and I haven't even looked any further about games that might be appropriate & he might like yet/how those might work, and so on. I'm sure we'll figure it out together, but thanks for everyone's input :)

I just tested and the previous poster was correct.

There are two modes: Gamepad play and TV play. You can choose which mode upon starting the game, or anytime from the game menu if there is only one player active.

-In TV play mode:
--The Gamepad shows your character's stats and has an onscreen button to swap to level objectives.
--A second controller can be activated and a second figure placed on the portal to join the game as player 2
--There is no way to see the gameplay screen on the Gamepad in this mode
--There is no sound from the Gamepad.

-In Gamepad play mode:
--Gameplay is displayed on the Gamepad screen.
--All sound comes from the Gamepad.
--Menus pop up on the Gamepad screen when you press start.
--The TV is black and silent.
--Placing a second figure on the portal will give the "Too many figures are on the portal of power" error.
--If you try to turn on a second controller, it won't even find the system and will simply turn off after the battery lights flash for a moment.

This is all just for Skylanders: Giants of course. Every Wii U game handles it differently. For example: New Super Mario Bros will always have the exact same sound and picture on the TV and Gamepad in single player, while Nintendo Land uses both the TV and Gamepad so extensively and in so many different ways that most of it is unplayable without both. Scribblenauts Unlimited displays gameplay on both screens, but with more information on the Gamepad, making the TV more useful for showing other people what you're doing since you'll naturally gravitate toward looking at the Gamepad most of the time.

RkOwnage

So, I went to FYE in my mall here in Orlando, and it's closing, and I checked for Skylanders, which they had a few. I got a Lightcore Shroomboom for $5 (50% off everything) as well as the 3DS version of SA and Giants for $30, so I spent $60 and got both! Punch Pop Fizz and Dark Spyro are mine! Hoorah!

GameMaster78

Neo Member

Correct. Some games on Wii U display on tv and Gamepad at the same time, but not Skylanders, due to the fact that when you or your kid play the game on the TV, it shows the stats on the Gamepad, for the Skylander currently being played. Furthermore, a push of a button on the Gamepad controller, also shows all objectives for each level.

Argh, I am having a hard time trying to compile from where all those variants come from...

Also, there is a green Gill Grunt that is not in your list, Gamemaster.

Yeah, I didn't mention Green Gill Grunt, because he doesn't show up green in game, nor does ANY Series 1 figures register as Special in Giants or on the web game (Spyro's Universe).

I only mentioned which ones will register and show up differently in game, or register as Special such as Sonic Boom, who has 3 icons in Giants and Universe (Series 1, Series 2, and GITD "Special").

Here is a complete list of variants for both games.

Spyro's Adventure -

NOTE: No Series 1 variants show up different in game nor do they register as Special

VARIANTS -

Flocked Stump Smash (Frito-Lay promotion back around April 2012)
Red Drill Sergeant (Walmart exclusive; can still be found)
Blue Bash (Toys R Us exclusive)
Toy Fair 2012: Germany - Pearl Hex (handed out at Nuremberg Toy Fair February 2012)
Toy Fair 2012: New York - Metallic Cynder (handed out at New York Toy Fair February 2012)
E3 2012 Chrome Spyro (handed out at E3 2012)
Green Gill Grunt (Walmart exclusive Xbox 360 bundle; can still be found)
Silver Dino Rang (found in random boxes of wave 2 back in November 2011)
Silver Eruptor (found in random boxes of wave 2 back in November 2011)
Silver Boomer (found in random boxes of wave 2 back in November 2011)
Gold Chop Chop (found in random boxes of wave 3 back in January 2012)
Gold Drill Sergeant (found in random boxes of wave 3 back in January 2012)
Gold Flameslinger (found in random boxes of wave 3 back in January 2012)
Glow in the dark Zap (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Glow in the dark Warnado (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Glow in the dark Wrecking Ball (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Clear Stealth Elf (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Clear Cynder (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Clear Wham Shell (found in random boxes of wave 5 back in April 2012)
Legendary Spyro/Chop Chop/Bash and Trigger Happy (Toys R Us exclusive)

Giants -

VARIANTS -

Stone Zook (found in random boxes of wave 1 in October 2012)
Stone Whirlwind (found in random boxes of wave 1 in October 2012)
Glitter Sprocket (found in random boxes of wave 2 in October 2012)
Glitter Sonic Boom (found in random boxes of wave 2 in October 2012)
Glitter Hot Head (found in random boxes of wave 2 in October 2012)
White Flocked Stump Smash (found in random boxes of wave 3 currently)
White Flocked Eruptor (found in random boxes of wave 3 currently)
White Flocked Lightcore Prism Break (found in random boxes of wave 3 currently)
Employee Edition Holiday 2012 Lightcore Prism Break (handed out to Activision Employees in December)

GIANTS INGAME VARIANTS -

Legendary Bouncer, Ignitor/Slam Bam/Jet-Vac, Stealth Elf, Chill (Toys R Us exclusive)
Scarlet Ninjini (TO BE ANNOUNCED)
Punch Pop Fizz (3DS Starter Pack exclusive)
Royal Double Trouble (Skylanders Battlegrounds Starter Pack exclusive only at Gamestop)
Granite Crusher (Target exclusive)
Jade Flashwing (TO BE ANNOUNCED)
Molten Hot Dog (TO BE ANNOUNCED)
Polar Whirlwind (TO BE ANNOUNCED)
Gnarly Tree Rex (Nintendo Wii Skylanders Giants Bundle exclusive; has been found at Toys R Us and Target; Playstation 3 Skylanders Giants Bundle exclusive in the PAL regions)

SPECIAL VARIANTS -

GITD Cynder (Skylanders Giants Starter Pack exclusive at launch; all systems)
GITD Sonic Boom (Walmart exclusive)
GITD Fright Rider (Argos exclusive in the UK, JB Hi-Fi exclusive in Australia)
Bronze Flameslinger (Amazon.com exclusive)

That's all of the variants so far. Also, with the Starter Packs from Walmart at launch for Giants, it not only included a Glow in the dark Cynder, it also included a Glow in the dark Portal of Power, which rocks awesome.

Hope this helps.

RkOwnage

Just completed 1000/1000 of the achievements in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. I am going to write a full review of the game soon, (I do this on IGN.com under the name Rkownage, read some of my reviews if you're bored #Shamelessplug) But I wanted to post a couple of thoughts on this forum, since I am slowly trying to edge my way into a member of Skylander-GAF :)

* Very light RPG-ish, seeing numbers is always fun when you're doing damage, and the loot collecting is fun to an extent. Collecting hats and treasures was fun and I plan on going back to 100% all the levels...that also leads to

*Replayability - Big word, don't even know if it exists, haha. I enjoyed the game, but I enjoyed also going back and leveling up more of my Skylanders to level 10 and choosing their leveling paths. While I wanted something a little more in depth for leveling, I also realize this is aimed at kids, so overcomplicating the leveling knocks out the target audience. But replay factor in this game is there, and if you're willing to spend the extra money on Skylanders (who plays this that isn't?) there's a lot to be seen here!

*Humor - The game is very light hearted, and humorous, Kaos is definitely a villain that's played for laughs by his dialogue and misfortune, so I can respect the game going for that aspect. I laughed several times myself, and I've heard Giants is just as funny, if not funnier, so I look forward to hitting up that game soon!

Dislikes:
*No Jumping - ...uh yeah, not much to say there, just shocked it's not in this game

*Buggy - Game has frozen on me a dozen times, I don't know what the issue is, I've played it on multiple 360s and it has frozen on each

*Activision - More of a personal bias against this company, but I almost didn't get involved in the craze because of my loathing of Activision and their evil ways. But here I am filling their pockets with their own sought after loots ($$$). A lot of Activision titles end up feeling cheap and ripped off, or even run into the ground (COUGHguitarheroCOUGH), I hope this franchise doesn't end up like that. The "One a year' philosophy seems to be in play here, I just hope it's kept fresh and doesn't burn everyone out like they have with their other franchises, Call of Duty included.

Obviously, just a few impressions/opinions from my part as of now, but as I said, I plan on doing a full review of the game very soon, hopefully have it done by next weekend (if not sooner!)

Thanks for reading, just wanted to have a quick topic w/ my thoughts on the first game!

-Rkownage

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Here are the Skylanders I leveled to 10 and got all the upgrades for:
Gill Grunt - Used him throughout the majority of the game
Chop Chop
Terrafin (Series 2)
Voodood (my favorite)
Lightning Rod
Spyro
Flameslinger

I also do not have Boomer (I am probably going to pay the price to get him, seeing 31/32 Skylanders on the main screen just bugs the hell out of me) and I also just ordered the Pirate Seas expansion, which will give me all 4!

BooJoh

Just stumbled upon something. I've noticed before that on the Wii U version of the game after playing for a while the Home button likes to stop working, forcing you to power off when you're done playing, and also locking you out of Miiverse, etc. I had that happen a little bit ago, and then switched to Gamepad mode just for the heck of it and suddenly my Home button worked again, I don't know if it works every time or if it was a coincidence, but I figured it was worth noting.

Orca

Still no new Giants here. Heading into the city this coming weekend for an awards thing, so I'll see if I can find some there.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, I think I may have mentioned this before, but I want to throw some suggestions at Toys For Bob, which I hope they would use in helping to keep customers coming back to them, instead of flocking to Disney Infinity.

I can't say I am not a bit worried, as that would be lying. However, I do think TFB can make it so Disney Infinity would be more like Disney Inferior.

First off, TFB has one part of this in the bag. The fact that characters in Infinity cannot be played outside of their respective worlds. One has to use Toy Box Mode to use characters outside of their worlds. That's a big fail on Disney's part.

TFB should institute these ideas, which would throw a huge curveball at Disney -

- Find a way to patch Spyro's Adventure or Giants, or allow people to swap discs out for new ones, that allow Skylanders from future games to play on them. Not Giants, but just Newlanders. At the same time, each new game that comes out every year, could be patchable, so that any future Skylanders from future games, can play on past games. Disney is doing it with Infinity, so since they stole the fine folks at TFB's ideas, borrow some of their ideas.

- Disney Infinity is doing expansion playsets with every game.

In my eyes, TFB needs to make sure to do Adventure Packs with each new game for now on. If TFB doesn't do this, this allows Disney to keep their game fresh every year, for a certain period of time, while people will have beaten Skylanders within a week and moved on. Keep Skylanders fresh, by giving the customers 6 Adventure Packs a year. Check this out.

October: Launch of new game and Adventure Pack 1
December: Adventure Pack 2
February: Adventure Pack 3
April: Adventure Pack 4
June: Adventure Pack 5
Auguest: Adventure Pack 6
October: Launch of new game and Adventure Pack 1 for new game

Keep that cycle, and people will stay invested in Skylanders year round, because they have a new level to look forward to straight up until two months before the next game launches, thus giving customers more bang for their buck.

- TFB needs to release Magical Items on their own, as well as in Adventure Packs.

Infinity has Power Discs, which is a cool concept, but at the same time, they're just that games version of Magical Items. Those of us - like me - that like Magical Items in Skylanders, will most likely flock right over to Infinity, seeing as they're giving us more than just characters. However, if TFB pumps out more than just 2 Magical Items (Canon and Catapult in Giants) per game, they can steal a bit of Infinities thunder.

- TFB really should put online in each new game starting with game 3, which I hear is being announced really soon.

Disney Infinity lacks one aspect of what makes Skylanders cool, PVP. I have always forseen PVP in Skylanders being tournament quality for kids and adults who put effort into strategizing with their Skylanders. A friend of mine and his wife hosted a tournament, to which my son and I went over. We each used 11 characters via a hat draw playstyle, and the tournament lasted a good 3 hours, due to each of us putting strategy and depth into each battle. It was awesome. Now imagine it online. It could be the next game people use in competitions like Pokemon. You need only put online in there.

Online also allows customers to play with one another through the game. That would be fun.

- TFB needs to give the customers at least 24 new Skylanders per game.

Disney Infinity boasts a further 20 characters for Infinity, while giving 3 in the box. That's 23 characters. If TFB did 24 Skylanders per game (3 new Skylanders per element), that should steal a bit of Infinities thunder.

- TFB should put an extra set of options into Skylanders, to entice hardcore gamers.

Imagine, if you will, hardcore gamers like myself who found Nightmare to be too easy. These hardcore gamers want to buy into Skylanders like the kids, but want a little bit of love as well as the kids who are being shown the love by TFB.

Have an extra set of options that hardcore gamers can play with. I, as a hardcore gamer, would love to go through Nightmare mode with level 1 Skylanders, without the ability to restart the chapter, and without XP dropping from enemies, so my characters can stay at level 1. Food only gives you back 50 HP and is scarce, or maybe one might want to turn food off period.

Give us those options. Options for -

- No XP
- No Food
- If Skylanders die, they're dead until you start a new save file

This will show the hardcore gamers some love. Hardcore gamers love Dark/Demon's Souls for a reason. They get a good challenge. They're not there for the flashy graphics. They're there for the challenge. I want a challenge, and Nightmare wasn't hard enough for me.

These are options that gamers can choose to play with or not. They don't have to, which keeps the game geared towards kids. However, for us adults, the option is there.

- Giants was a wee bit short.

Game 3 should be as long, or slightly longer than Spyro's Adventure. Adding 6 bi-monthly Adventure Packs to 22 story chapters and you have yourself a highly replayable game.

- Skylanders 1ups Infinity on another aspect.

Skylanders does allow for permanent stat boosts, while Infinity doesn't. You need Power Discs to upgrade characters, and it isn't permanent.

TFB can win this battle by making sure Skylanders can keep upgrading their stats with each new game. Allow caps to be broken on each Skylander with each new game.

One thing Skylanders Giants does with maxed out Skylanders from the first game, is it takes away the stats we worked hard for. I was particularly mad when my 32 Heroic maxed out Ghost Roaster lost his stats going from the first to the second game, because TFB wouldn't allow the stats to go past 100. So, if I want the Speed my Ghost Roaster had from the first game, in Giants, I had to rework for the Speed, when I had worked for it once already. I wanted my 90 Speed from the first game, in the second game, and add to the 90 Speed (breaking 100 Speed), by doing NEW Speed Heroics in Giants. That wasn't the case sadly, but should be the case.

Please allow us to keep stats from Giants, for all future games, while allowing us to push our Skylanders further in the stat department, and this seals the deal on Infinity.

- Keep stock plentiful.

If Infinity sells based on the Disney name alone, and a lot of kids can't find figures, let them know they can always find the Skylanders they're looking for. Shipping ALL future figures in cases of 12, like Single Packs in Giants, seems to help a lot. Giants are harder to find due to being 6 to a box. Giants should have been 12 to a box, in my opinion.

However, stick it to Disney by showing the customer ANY given Skylander will always be in stock, while Infinity can't meet the demand, and this should help the Skylanders brand a lot.

- Don't let the prices rise again and again.

Toys R Us managers have flat out told me this before -

Me: "Why did you guys raise your prices to 9.99 and 24.99?"
Manager: "Because stupid son of a ******* will pay for them."
Me: *in my mind* Thanks. I guess you think I am a stupid son of *****?"

He wasn't lying, though. Some people aren't smart enough to say enough is enough. Corporate greed isn't getting the best of me. Take your 9 dollars and stick it you know where. I haven't bought a single Skylander from TRU ever since they decided to jack up the prices... yet again, from 9.99 to 10.99 per figure and 24.99 to 25.99 for Triple/Battle Packs.

TFB needs to regulate these stores if they're not in on the price hike. If Activision is the one pulling the string, this franchise will eventually be screwed, when customers say it costs too much for a single game, and thus this franchise will be ruined like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero was.

Keep the figures cheap, and mommy and daddy will see a better value than what Disney is offering with their 13 dollar figures, and 35 dollar playsets.

- Borrow from the borrowers.

They borrowed your ideas, borrow theirs. You need to compete, so compete. If they make a sandbox mode, where people can create their own content, borrow that idea and do it with Skylanders. It certainly would help more than hurt.

In the end, I just want to see Skylanders succeed, but I feel these are some of the things Skylanders need in order to compete. I hope some or all of these ideas are used, so this franchise can always compete with Infinity, as it turns Infinity to Inferior.

RkOwnage

You made some good points GM, but some things about Skylanders bugs me, and makes me worry about the upcoming competition from Disney Infinity.

*Activision - Again, I know I harped on this in my "thoughts" on Spyro's Adventure, but Activision can and probably will run this into the ground without any redeeming qualities. One of the most concerning things I noticed about Spyro's Adventure was when I booted the game up, there was no update to download. I play on Xbox 360, and 99.9% of the games I play, even on launch day, have some sort of update to fix glitches caught at the very end of development, or in this game's case, it's been out a year now, to fix glitches.

To add to that point, I cannot 100% the game now because I encountered the Lightning Rod Heroic Challenge glitch where it doesn't provide you a way to finish the challenge, unless you're content with starting up a new game, which I am not, I have already gotten 90% of the game done, I am not starting a new save file for an error Activision has the power to fix, it's ridiculous, and shows once a product is out the gate, Activision doesn't care for it, and that spells doom for a franchise.

*Disney's name. That's the best thing Disney has going for it, it's name. Sure, the characters they selected for initial launch are not the best, but I'm sure they want to see how well it's received and if it is, they'll start releasing more popular characters in their franchise.

Throughout my playthrough of SA, I kept wondering why it was called Spyro's Adventure, the game has nothing to do with Spyro the Dragon, it doesn't mention him, he's just a brand they used to try and sell the product. To me, that feels cheap and a cop out, they wanted to associate a dying brand to try and give the product some familiarity, and now that it has it, Spyro is just "another character". I just don't like the way it's handled.

TLDR: I love Skylanders, but I hate Activision, and I have a feeling they will find a way to succomb Disney Infinity based on their history of ruining franchises and Disney's recognition.

Captain N

Anyone know when I'll be able to get Hot Dog by himself? My son has a 4th birthday coming up on the 20th and would love to get him Hot Dog too.

Stage On

I don't know about a couple of your suggestions GameMaster.

For one I don't mind the fact they don't have adventure packs this time around as those where some of the most annoying parts to get the first time around.

And I'm also glad they only had 16 new skylanders. With the price hike any more would simply be too expensive. Plus the added frustration on trying to find an entire 8 more would drive me insane.

If anything they need to fix distribution especially to other countries. It was nice with wave 1 when it had a set date but not knowing when you're going to get future waves just makes finding them a huge pain in the rear.

I just barely was able to find the new characters from wave 2 before Christmas because of how scarce they where in Canada. And even with wave 3 we still haven't gotten Hot dog at all yet.

The scary thing is I'm not even working full time and I was LUCKY to get them when I did which wouldn't be possible if I was working more.

BooJoh

Keep Skylanders fresh, by giving the customers 6 Adventure Packs a year.

- TFB needs to release Magical Items on their own, as well as in Adventure Packs.

- TFB needs to give the customers at least 24 new Skylanders per game.

$60-$75 on the game
$240 on new characters
$120 on adventure packs

I'm not interested in spending $400+ a year on this franchise. I love Skylanders, but I think the cash cowing has already gotten far out of hand. I might even get myself to wait on the third game until I can get it for a "normal" game price and only buy a few new figures. The variants and exclusives are also completely out-of-control. I saw an interview where someone from TFB or Activision actually appealed to customers to pay the retail price, and not the scalper prices, yet they continue to give Toys R Us - the biggest scalper of them all - early stock and exclusive figures. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is behind the price hikes.

- TFB really should put online in each new game starting with game 3, which I hear is being announced really soon.

It could be the next game people use in competitions like Pokemon. You need only put online in there.
Does this game need online? Sure. Will it EVER be competitive on the level of Pokémon? Not a chance. In fact, I'll be sorely disappointed if they add online and it's only PvP. I'm sure far more people would be interested in online coop.

- Keep stock plentiful.

- Don't let the prices rise again and again.
Most valid points in the entire post.

I can see how Disney Infinity might hurt the Skylanders franchise, but Skylanders does have a 2 year head start and people who've already devoted hundreds of dollars to the series, and they won't be so quick to toss it aside.

On the other hand, Disney Infinity might just squish Skylanders like a bug since Skylanders has three VERY BIG problems right now: stagnation (the same game with new levels is going to be old the third time around,) inflation (the prices practically go up on a day-to-day basis,) and availability ("New Skylanders are out? WHICH? WHERE? HOW CAN I BUY THEM? TAKE MY MONEY, PLEASE!")

Since everyone is giving his cents about Skylanders/Infinity, etc, I think I should share mine.

First I do not understand the kind of hate Disney`s Infinity is receiving from the Skylanders players. Sure it is kind of a copycat, but as long as it is a good copycat it is welcome in my book. I am a gamer, not a fanboy, so I do not "wish" one game to succed over the other. Some talks here sounds like Nintendo Mario fans vs Sega Sonic fans. Let's play both games.

And actually I was pretty astonished from the Infinity announcement. One of my grips from Skylanders (see bellow) is the character design. As a 40 years old gamer, I was really happy to have a game with the classical Disney cast of characters (yes, I was a little let down by the fact that the actual annoucement was from mostly Pixar characters, but I have faith that in the future more classical Disney characters will show up).

So let`s discuss Skylanders strenghts and faults. Everything bellow is just my opinion based on single playing and co-op playing with my 4 years old boy (now 5 years old). It may be a good idea to TFB and Activision to read/listen to all the opinions here.

First, faults:

- Characters design: sorry, I believe some people love them, but in my book some of the characters are too generic. This is a weak point against Infinity that carries the Disney brand. Sure some figures are awesome, but others seens just rushed to fill the number of figures needed for the game. People should care for the character to buy all the stuff. Second: guns are a no-no for a family game. There are some characters that carry guns, specially hand guys, that should not be in a game of that nature. I understand that it may not be a big issue in US, but it is in other parts of the world. The worst offender here is Trigger Happy (it is a great character to play, but not in a child game). I do not want to play a character like that with my 4/5 years old son. Bouncer is another character which "powers" resembles too much a hand gun. I am more OK with other types of guns, more estilized, like the bazooka (Zook), but even Boomer with its bombs are a little bit off. It will be better if all skylanders do not carry any type of guns, I would prefer them to have "powers", not guns.

- Do not repeat toys from a game to the next only using a diferent pose. The "reposed" set of characters from Giants fells like a cheap way to fill the roster of Giants. I understand that there was little time from one game to another to plan for a complete new set of toys, but that should not happen in the next games. I also understand that people that never had played a previous game may want to play the new game with old characters, but just re-released the old ones (maybe in new packages) for them.

- Supply and demand. I understand that Activision may have been caught of guard with the success of the first game and the demand for the figures was higher than its capacity to supply. But there is no excuse for Giants. There is still more demand than supply, and scalpers are still making huge money from this. I do not understand why Activision is letting it happen, since they do not see a single cent from all this "extra" money. I am not in US, I cannot enter a store to buy stuff, let alone search for various stores just to find determinate figure at a reasonable price. I have to rely on online stores and ebay, and if there is a huge extra demand for a determinate figure, its price will sky-rocked. That is why I usually buy figures with months of delay, so the demand was already get down for that set.

- Special editions and variants: sure it is a great idea to have special editions of the figures. But the ones released randomly at retail never fall in the hand of the customers. Store workers and scalpers get them first to resell at a high premium. Activision should think in something to avoid that. Maybe a solution is to use "blind" packs that the user cannot see the toy before opening the box. It is huge selling drawback I understand, but maybe just for a small set of characters that have variants. Console bundled special variants is a no-no too. I do not want to buy a new console that I already own to have a special figure bundled. Bundles with games is a maybe if only the different figures come with the 3DS version of the game. They made it right with the first game, the figures in the 3DS version were different from the console ones. I do not understand why they choosed to include the same giant and another repeated figure in Giants 3DS version. At least, they could have bundled the blue version of Tree Rex with the 3DS game (I will not buy a Wii just for that) so I will not end with two identical Tree Rexs. Special events and fairs variants: I understand that special events may have variants as a incentive to participate in those events or just a way to merchandise the franchise. But not everyone can attend those events. Those variants end at high price on ebay, and Activision do not benefict a single cent from that . A solution may be to have a special website for that event where customes may pre-order the special variant for a period of that before the event (let`s say one or three months). The figures will be mailed to the customer at or after the time of the event. The price of those figures may be a premium, as long it is reasonable. Also they can limit the number, as long as it is a first orderd / first served type of pre-order. This way Activision can make money from this special releases and more of the Skylanders fan can get those toys, while keeping their exclusive status. I cannot afford a US$ 500 special variant on ebay, but maybe I will be interested on a US$ 50 mailed pre-order.

Strenghts:

- The fact that every character from Skylanders can be used in the main game is a good point. I do not know how good the sandbox portion of Infinity will be, but sure it is a letdown to not be able to use all caracters in all adventure packs.

- Keep the game simple for small children, you may introduce harder playmodes for the hardcore, but keep the normal campaign simple.

My final take: I will probably continue with both games (Skylanders and Infinity) as I already said that I am a gamer. One thing that Infinity announcement had impact on me is that now I am trying hard to finish my Giants collections before June (when I will start the Infinity purchases). I only finished my Spyro`s Adventure collection last September, just in time for Giants release (I cannot affort most of the figures at launch, due to scalpers, as already mentioned). And to be honest, I am not sure how good Infinity will be. If it is a good game and I be force to choose one franchise over the other due cost issues, I may choose Infinity because of the characters.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I managed to score the three pack with Camo and Warnado in TRU, it was obviously a return and it rang up as "Retired". I also recently picked up the Hot Dog pack at GS along with Eye Brawl, Hot Head and Thumpback.

I tend to take new guy in the Oracle level to get 1-6 and some cash. Then take them to the last level and get 6-9 along with more cash. This seems a bit min/max for a kids game, but I hate when the characters are low level and weak.

I hope they have another game out in 2013 that uses the same figures, if not this collection is a waste of money. They need something "bigger", better graphics, new consoles, etc. They should not go low budget recycle with all the money they are getting. Infinity looks dumb, but it may make them step up their game.

ElNino

Finally found Thumpback and Eyebrawl at EB in Canada on my lunch break. They got one case with two of each, which were gone in 20 minutes (another guy got the other two).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
You made some good points GM, but some things about Skylanders bugs me, and makes me worry about the upcoming competition from Disney Infinity.

*Activision - Again, I know I harped on this in my "thoughts" on Spyro's Adventure, but Activision can and probably will run this into the ground without any redeeming qualities. One of the most concerning things I noticed about Spyro's Adventure was when I booted the game up, there was no update to download. I play on Xbox 360, and 99.9% of the games I play, even on launch day, have some sort of update to fix glitches caught at the very end of development, or in this game's case, it's been out a year now, to fix glitches.

To add to that point, I cannot 100% the game now because I encountered the Lightning Rod Heroic Challenge glitch where it doesn't provide you a way to finish the challenge, unless you're content with starting up a new game, which I am not, I have already gotten 90% of the game done, I am not starting a new save file for an error Activision has the power to fix, it's ridiculous, and shows once a product is out the gate, Activision doesn't care for it, and that spells doom for a franchise.

*Disney's name. That's the best thing Disney has going for it, it's name. Sure, the characters they selected for initial launch are not the best, but I'm sure they want to see how well it's received and if it is, they'll start releasing more popular characters in their franchise.

Throughout my playthrough of SA, I kept wondering why it was called Spyro's Adventure, the game has nothing to do with Spyro the Dragon, it doesn't mention him, he's just a brand they used to try and sell the product. To me, that feels cheap and a cop out, they wanted to associate a dying brand to try and give the product some familiarity, and now that it has it, Spyro is just "another character". I just don't like the way it's handled.

TLDR: I love Skylanders, but I hate Activision, and I have a feeling they will find a way to succomb Disney Infinity based on their history of ruining franchises and Disney's recognition.

But there is one thing that comes from the Disney name, when paired with videogames. Sucky games. I haven't seen Disney Interactive make one good game. If they published Epic Mickey, fine, I will give them 2 games. However, for the most part, they haven't made or published anything good.

I don't know about a couple of your suggestions GameMaster.

For one I don't mind the fact they don't have adventure packs this time around as those where some of the most annoying parts to get the first time around.

And I'm also glad they only had 16 new skylanders. With the price hike any more would simply be too expensive. Plus the added frustration on trying to find an entire 8 more would drive me insane.

If anything they need to fix distribution especially to other countries. It was nice with wave 1 when it had a set date but not knowing when you're going to get future waves just makes finding them a huge pain in the rear.

I just barely was able to find the new characters from wave 2 before Christmas because of how scarce they where in Canada. And even with wave 3 we still haven't gotten Hot dog at all yet.

The scary thing is I'm not even working full time and I was LUCKY to get them when I did which wouldn't be possible if I was working more.

There are some that may hate having to track down Adventure Packs, but some who wouldn't mind extending the life of each Skylander game, by at least giving the customer a new level bi-monthly, to make the wait for game 3 and the prospect of buying new waves of figures, an easier pill to swallow.

However, getting figures for Giants has been far easier than it was for Spyro's Adventure. Sure, I worry sometimes, but it's always put to bed, when I go to two stores, and see this -

Gamestop -

IMG_0285.jpg

Walmart -

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

And this is coming from a heavily scalped city. These pics were taken days after those stores got those in. I went back days later, and they were still there. Again, in a heavily scalped city.

So, that's why I am not worried anymore, because it seems TFB is making good on their word to keep stock flowing. This time last year, you couldn't find jack. Now, this year, I am finding the newest stuff at most of my local stores and it's keeping scalpers hesitating if it's even worth hoarding.

But here's is how my playtime went with both Skylander games, which show why Adventure Packs are needed -

October 2011: Beat Spyro's Adventure in a week.
November 2011-April 2012: Buy new characters, register them on the games, press A and B to see their two moves, put the figures on a shelf to collect dust.

The only time I booted up Spyro's Adventure, was in January of 2012 to play Empire of Ice, which came out that month, and on March 21st, 2012, to play Dragon's Peak, when it came out.

Now then -

Mid April 2012-October 20th, 2012: Didn't ever touch Spyro's Adventure anymore. Figures just collect dust.

So, for what would normally (to people who don't have 3 of everything) be a 349 dollar investment -

8 Triple Packs at 22 dollars a piece (after tax)
4 Adventure Packs at 22 dollars a piece (after tax)
1 Single Pack Wham Shell at 10 dollars (after tax)
1 Starter Pack at 75 dollars (after tax)

Is an investment that many will put down after beating the final Adventure Pack.

But, back to how Giants is working for me so far.

October 21st 2012: Get Giants, beat it in 2 days.
October 23rd 2012-Last remaining figure release: Register new characters, press A and B to see their moves, put them on a shelf and take pictures of them.

Notice how I wouldn't be turning the game on again, to play it because of a new level? There is no new level, so why turn the game on and level my characters, when the game has been beaten?

This brings me to what someone mentioned about PVP not being tournament capable. This game, has way more depth than Smash Brothers, in my opinion, and people use it for tournament play. I have had a match I played against someone in Skylanders last nearly 20 minutes to decide a winner. Why? Because, it was two adults who injected strategy into the game, whereas kids can keep mashing buttons. It has that level of depth, where one can button mash like some do when playing as Batman in the Arkham games, or one can master the fighting system and make it look less like a button masher.

Boojoh mentioned 60-75 for a new game, plus 240 for characters, and 120 for Adventure Packs. That's 435, right? That's 86 dollars more than what getting all 32 Skylanders would cost for the first game.

My ideas to keep it around 435 would be this -

- NIX this Series 2, 3, 4, 1,000,000 stuff and give the customers unique Skylanders per game
- 6 Adventure Packs as previously stated
- A max of 24 Skylanders per game.

So, it would actually break down like this -

Starter: 75 (after tax)
18 Skylander Single Packs at 11 dollars a piece (after tax): 198
6 Adventure Packs at 27 dollars a piece (after tax): 162

However, what if we could drop the price just a tad, with just a little patience? How so?

Starter: 75 (after tax)
6 Triple Packs (18 of 24 Skylanders) at 27 a piece (after tax): 162
6 Adventure Packs (6 remaining Skylanders) at 27 a piece (after tax): 162

That totals up to what? 399 dollars, a mere 50 dollars more AND it's under 400 bucks. This would be to those who want to keep each game under 400 bucks, while some who don't mind spending over 400, could just get any new figures as they come, and go over 400. It's a win/win for ALL parties who don't mind investing in Skylanders.

I for one, am getting kind of frustrated at the fact I am spending hundreds on a game that didn't last me over 5 months for the first game, and 2 days on the second game.

I don't hate the series by a longshot, but it could do more for customers like me. Knowing I could boot up each new game for at least 1 hour every other month until a new game comes out, through new Adventure Packs, is way better than not booting it up at all.

rcl66

Wow Gamemaster your stores are NOT normal. :) I've never seen anything close to that around here. Actually I have never seen the new Giants Thumpback or EyeBrawl in any store, let alone a bunch of them like your pictures. At least they are out there.

Stage On

That is way to idealized to ever be reality. This is Activision we are talking about the kings of over milking stuff to death.

Maybe getting figures has been easier in the states, but it sure hasn't been in Canada. We get them late and in much smaller quantities which drives me around the bend.

All the triple packs for Giants are a mix of old figures and new figures making them a poor value for people who only want new figures. I doubt we'll ever get triple packs that are 100% new figures again since they almost sure to have more reposes in the future.

Plus you're forgetting they might have more Giant figures or some other gimick which are more expensive then normal figures.

This is how much Giants would have cost for me If I had to buy it all myself and wasn't getting much of it for birthday presents and chirstmas

$50 for the game with 3 figures (It goes on sale for that regularly)
$50 for the two battle packs
$50 for the remaining 5 singles figures
$105 for the remaining 7 Giants

$255 before tax and that's only if you're aiming to get the new figures and no reposes at all.

In contrast the original cost

$50 for game
$80 for adventure packs
$10 Wham shell
$160 for 8 triple packs

$300 before tax...

Giants was actually less expensive then the original for me!

You're advocating adding another $150 before tax on top of that just for adventure packs since they would cost $25 now and not $20 due to the price hike.

That's insane considering they are one and done levels with no real reason to go back to them once beaten.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
One and done, every other month, is better than spending what I and others do on Skylanders to be one and done within 2 days.

Cheaper is better, sure, but it still costs more than a 60 dollar game to get a complete Skylanders experience every year. If that's the case, I'd rather spend more to stretch out the lifecycle of each game, than beat it within a week at a cheaper price and call it quits for a year, outside of buying figures I will only register, press two buttons, and sit on a shelf.

Stage On

One and done, every other month, is better than spending what I and others do on Skylanders to be one and done within 2 days.

Cheaper is better, sure, but it still costs more than a 60 dollar game to get a complete Skylanders experience every year. If that's the case, I'd rather spend more to stretch out the lifecycle of each game, than beat it at a cheaper price and call it quits for a year, outside of buying figures I will only register, press two buttons, and sit on a shelf.

Sure you would spend more but the majority of the target audience which is kids can't. Adults like us collecting the figures are a minority and basically a bonus that can be milked to sell more variants to.

And honestly most of us are never going to have the time to play with the majority of our figures anyhow.

I usually pick one or two per element that I like to play through the game with and that's that. I don't mind that the others don't really get used beyond registering them and testing them out since I was getting them to look pretty guarding bookshelves in the first place.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, and that's the glory of it all. People are never forced to buy the Adventure Packs. For those who want to extend the life of each Skylanders game, it would be an awesome way to keep the game fresh until the next game comes out.

At the same time, those who don't want to pony up for additional Adventure Packs, can just leave them be and save money.

I have a friend I just got into the game. He doesn't want anything but the dragons. He doesn't feel compelled to get the Adventure Packs, whereas I would be all over them like white on rice.

Stage On

Well, and that's the glory of it all. People are never forced to buy the Adventure Packs. For those who want to extend the life of each Skylanders game, it would be an awesome way to keep the game fresh until the next game comes out.

At the same time, those who don't want to pony up for additional Adventure Packs, can just leave them be and save money.

I have a friend I just got into the game. He doesn't want anything but the dragons. He doesn't feel compelled to get the Adventure Packs, whereas I would be all over them like white on rice.

Sure doesn't feel optional if you're trying to collect one of each character. That's an extra $15 tacked onto it for another level and a couple of magic items.

On that note I really don't like the battle packs much. I mean the magic item is cool but I really don't want the reposed skylander. But right now the battle pack is the ONLY way to get a non Light core Shroom boom or Hotdog.

Or that the only way to get non light core Jet Vac is to buy the Deluxe version of the game.

Or that the triple packs have 2 old figures and 1 new one. It really pissed me off that for several weeks the only version of sproket I could find was the triple pack.

And they really need to do something about the Sidekicks. If you're outside of the states the only way to get them is to pay out the nose on Ebay.

One thing I will say they are doing better is improving the gender balance. In the first game only 4 out of the 32 characters where female. In the second game it's 4 out of 16 which is a much better ratio.

RkOwnage

I've been to 2 Toys R Us, 3 Walmarts, 3 GameStops and 2 Targets, and I have not seen anything close to what you see in your stores, and I am in a HUGE city, it's not like that everywhere. Friends in Savannah are seeing the same thing I am, short stock. My GameStop manager friend from Savannah, GA says they have gotten 2 shipments of the new Giants, with 2 of each in each shipment, so 4 of each total, and they're the biggest GameStop in like 50 miles, prominent store in that area. I don't know, it seems like they're still a pain in the ass to find.

BooJoh

That totals up to what? 399 dollars, a mere 50 dollars more AND it's under 400 bucks. This would be to those who want to keep each game under 400 bucks, while some who don't mind spending over 400, could just get any new figures as they come, and go over 400. It's a win/win for ALL parties who don't mind investing in Skylanders.

When I said I don't want to pay $400+ a year for this franchise, I wasn't drawing a line at $400. I'm pointing out that $400 is ludicrously expensive for a game that lasts me far less time than some $40-$60 games.

If they want people like me to keep "investing" in the franchise as you put it, what they really need is user-generated levels or randomized dungeons and loot, or something of the sort to extend gameplay, because at this point we're looking at devoted collectors spending several hundred dollars a year to play a game for 6 hours and then display the figures on the shelf.

And by now those of us getting at least one of each character are running out of room. I'm sure you of all people can attest to the amount of space required just to display one set of these guys.

RkOwnage

When I said I don't want to pay $400+ a year for this franchise, I wasn't drawing a line at $400. I'm pointing out that $400 is ludicrously expensive for a game that lasts me far less time than some $40-$60 games.

If they want people like me to keep "investing" in the franchise as you put it, what they really need is user-generated levels or randomized dungeons and loot, or something of the sort to extend gameplay, because at this point we're looking at devoted collectors spending several hundred dollars a year to play a game for 6 hours and then display the figures on the shelf.

And by now those of us getting at least one of each character are running out of room. I'm sure you of all people can attest to the amount of space required just to display one set of these guys.

It's funny you mention space, I had to find somewhere I could collectively put all the Skylanders I had, I found the top drawer of my big dresser did the trick, but it hides them view unless I open it. I can still stand them all up (praying Ninjini isn't too tall, otherwise Ima be OCD pissed!) For now, this will have to do until we get out of this apartment and I can build proper shelves for them.

oJ63nUJl.jpg

sorry for bad lighting, also, Thumpback, Eyebrawl, 3 pack Legendaries from Giants and Legendary Trigger Happy not in pic, still in packaging, I don't know why I haven't opened them...not planning to sell, but love fresh new toys. Haha

Stage On

Don't I know it. The first 32 + Sidekicks took up an entire book shelf and my second bookshelf is rapidly running out of space thanks to how much extra room the Giants take up.

At this point I have no clue where I am going to display the figures from the third game since I won't have much if any bookshelf space left

Top Bottom