• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meliorism

I am so stoked for this movie. Has anyone that has seen the movie and read the book that the screenplay is based on confirm how tightly it sticks together?

Also, I loved your story, blame space. Some people just suck. Let's all just give each other high fives because we're so cool and dismiss movies together.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm perplexed at people who thought this wouldn't be good just because it's about Facebook.

Trust in David Fincher, people.

XMonkey said:
I'm perplexed at people who thought this wouldn't be good just because it's about Facebook.

Trust in David Fincher, people.

Ditto. I mean, when I first heard about the idea ( before I knew who was writing the script and who was directing ), I was perplexed. I knew nothing about the origins of Facebook and the drama behind it, so I couldn't figure out how anybody could make an interesting movie about it ( it was still called 'The Facebook Movie' ).

Once I learned that Fincher and Sorkin were in, and especially once I saw the trailer with the 'Creep' cover in it, I became excited. Very, very excited.

Meliorism said:
I am so stoked for this movie. Has anyone that has seen the movie and read the book that the screenplay is based on confirm how tightly it sticks together?

Also, I loved your story, blame space. Some people just suck. Let's all just give each other high fives because we're so cool and dismiss movies together.

I've read the book and saw the movie last week. It follows the book pretty closely, but there are a few things added to flesh out the overall story. The book jumped around and the movie is a lot more cohesive.

It's a great movie. Even though it is a movie about Facebook, Facebook acts as a backdrop for the drama and betrayal that unfolds in the movie. The opening scene with Trent Reznor's music gave me chills. Simply amazing.

Kusagari

1250167985024.jpg

This movie won't be 100% for long.

W Hudson

WyndhamPrice said:

Wow. I don't even know what the fuck that review is even saying or the point that he is trying to get across. Armond never fails to disappoint.

Moving on, based on the overwhelming reviews, does this put Mr. Fincher in line for his first Oscar win? I have, for the most part, been a very big fan of his work, and this film looks to be his best received so far.

Meliorism

W Hudson said:
Wow. I don't even know what the fuck that review is even saying or the point that he is trying to get across. Armond never fails to disappoint.

Moving on, based on the overwhelming reviews, does this put Mr. Fincher in line for his first Oscar win? I have, for the most part, been a very big fan of his work, and this film looks to be his best received so far.

I think a few people are really partial to a movie called The King's Speech. Also, Danny Boyle's 127 Hours is probably in the talks as well. With the Oscars moving to 10 nominations, I don't think it would be surprising to see The Social Network there.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is what he typed up yesterday to say to this very thread:

Full text here:
http://www.nypress.com/article-21675-discourteous-discourse.html

Here's two excerpts.
Reviews of blockbuster films Toy Story 3 and Inception by established professional film critics (myself particularly) received a record number of largely intemperate posts on the RottenTomatoes site, which then expanded into wholesale Internet attacks by agitated fanboys and upstart blogs. A new model of cultural response is taking over: criticism of criticism—and critics—as a pointless, snaky substitute for examining films themselves.

The Internet’s querulous, sarcastic backtalk should not be mistaken for intellectual debate; it’s schoolyard bickering, enmity from an otherwise voiceless mob unable to synthesize opposing points of view. What’s missing from the Internet hordes’ meanspirited griping is the learned skepticism, detachment and rationalization that are essential to intelligent cultural consumption and maintaining individual taste and choice. The late Pauline Kael’s warning, “Criticism is the only thing that stands between the audience and advertising,” has gone unheeded thanks to the newly empowered nonprofessional bloggers. Now, moviewatchers—including some scared reviewers—have lost faith in journalistic criticism as a trustworthy source of information or judgment.

In giving up, they merely rubber-stamp the summertime notion that criticism is meant to only promote movies. But criticism should be an act of reasoning that prepares us to reason through life. The Internet’s free-for-all and anonymity fosters gullibility and incivility even among those who consider themselves film-lovers. And when film discourse becomes discourteous, mindlessness take its revenge on reason. This critic’s nightmare is a movie huckster’s dream. It demeans us all.'
But he's criticizing criticism of criticism?

And this thread is going to criticize his criticism of criticizing criticism?

Timber

armond seems upset mainly because someone made a movie that mythologises an autistic internet phenomenon other than himself

judging from that article, Armond White is saying in 5 years after all the hype and talk goes away Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be looked upon as a masterpiece?

:lol

Spoo

Expendable. said:
judging from that article, Armond White is saying in 5 years after all the hype and talk goes away Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be looked upon as a masterpiece?

:lol

So, if Armond White gave it a bad review, does this mean Ebert will give it 4 stars? Since Ebert is a troll and all?

PS: Seriously, White's reviews are about on par with a philosophy major from a bad university. Horrid stuff.

I once heard Armond criticized as a cinematic dolt, and that's probably the best descriptor. He very occasionally hits the mark with reviews of smaller art movies (and even, then, he usually can't refrain from making bad points/criticizing good movies), but most of the time, he's like a blindfolded man trying to hit a grape with a baseball bat: swing and a miss so profoundly off the mark that you can't help but laugh.

Meliorism

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I once heard Armond criticized as a cinematic dolt, and that's probably the best descriptor. He very occasionally hits the mark with reviews of smaller art movies (and even, then, he usually can't refrain from making bad points/criticizing good movies), but most of the time, he's like a blindfolded man trying to hit a grape with a baseball bat: swing and a miss so profoundly off the mark that you can't help but laugh.

He's not reviewing the movies the way the majority of people are reviewing movies. His stuff is interesting to read so that's cool.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ARRRRRMMMMMOOOONNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

You are the final boss of the internet, I will destroy you and I must do it before you review Malick's Tree of Life.

Meliorism said:
He's not reviewing the movies the way the majority of people are reviewing movies. His stuff is interesting to read so that's cool.

Out of the mainstream does not equal good. He tried to be alternative, but he fails even on his own terms because his criticism is so disconnected from the films themselves that his contrarianism is completely evident. He's not even a particularly good writer; he engages in the throwing around of big words without crafting any memorable sentences and/or paragraphs. He's barely even intelligible most of the time.

Armond White is a bad critic, any way that you slice it. I respect the idea of alternative film criticism, but if you're going to trash critical darlings, you have to have the intellectual clout to make legitimate points, not the blind stumbling that he does. It's entertaining to read if read as a parody of film criticism, but it is simply awful on any other level.

brianjones said:
his review doesn't seem that crazy here.. are just people just lashing out at the sight of his name?

I haven't seen this movie. But it's hard to call any movie that has 100% with 50+ reviews on RT bad. Hell, it's impossible. I'm all for this guy having his own opinions. But he is obviously just trying to have the most contrasted opinions as possible to create controversy. And it's working.

dyls

brianjones said:
his review doesn't seem that crazy here.. are just people just lashing out at the sight of his name?

It seems more that it is he that is lashing out, in this case at the internet. Because this movie doesn't purport to hate everything about internet culture, it is terrible.

The great irony, of course, is that without the internet no one would have any idea who Armond White is.

Timber

brianjones said:
i think it's funny that the man who said that Noah Baumbach should be retroactively aborted is now complaining about the "ad hominem ferocity" of internet goings-on. what's even funnier is that he has the gumption to mention Baumbach in the fucking review.

he's waging some kind of idiotic quixotic battle against something he himself contributes to. it's hard to believe that someone can be so oblivious.

Armond White is a douchebag, so is anyone who uses Rotten Tomatoes as a barometer of what makes a movie "good".

Learn to think for yourself monkeys.

You think David Fincher gives a fuck about Rotten Tomatoes?

MoFuzz

Tears For Fears said:
I am afraid if I watched this movie I would contemplate suicide. Congratulations on bringing humanity down even further.
Agreed, thanks for your contribution towards the same.

Zzoram

Has Armond ever written a FIRST review, or does he always wait until the consensus is in so he can disagree with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom