• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
Has Armond ever written a FIRST review, or does he always wait until the consensus is in so he can disagree with it?
Never. Not a single time I can recall. I don't hate all his writing, but it's embarassingly predictable. At least with A.O. Scott or other critics I'm excited to hear their opinion because I could never guess.

Gary Whitta said:
Armond :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
just your standard run of the mill popcorn movie for the masses. it was ok i guess but nowhere near as good as the wooly sweater by glen hauserbachen. vampires suck was much more successful at conveying the feeling of loneliness and its social commentary was much more biting.

Expendable. said:
Never. Not a single time I can recall. I don't hate all his writing, but it's embarassingly predictable. At least with A.O. Scott or other critics I'm excited to hear their opinion because I could never guess.
You're mistaken. Armond watches a movie 12 times before reviewing it. He then spends time analyzing what he saw in context of Formalist Film Theory as a direct reflection of what François Truffaut described as "redeeming of cinema". After the philosophical underpinnings of the protagonists are contextualized, Sir Armond proceeds to dissect their motivations to base factors. The factors should be the embodiment of the Protagonist's unfulfilled desires, which form the base of any movie according to Lacanian film theory, of which Sir Armond is an ardent supporter of. If Sire Armond for any reason sees a discontinuity through his detailed analysis, he will be compelled to be more critical of the movie. Sir Armond then smokes pipe and finally writes his review.

I'm not going to say, but I hope he proves to be much more classy of a poster.
Getting banned sucks and I'm not a rat but between me and him he knows how badly he fucked up.

Also, Trent's score is amazing.

Wes

venison crêpe
There's an argument for an Armond White rotten review to have some kind of positive multiplier effect to the score.

jacobs34

Armond on Resident Evil:3D

" If critics and fanboys weren’t suckers for simplistic nihilism and high-pressure marketing, Afterlife would be universally acclaimed as a visionary feat, superior to Inception and Avatar on every level."

He is basically the Skip Bayless of movie reviewers.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Expendable. said:

I personally get more excited about a film if it does indeed have a massive Rottentomatoes score and then Armond gives it a good review too like A Single Man, Where the Wild Things Are, and Adventureland which all 3 turned out to be one of the best films of the year.

He is also the first critic to put up his review on Rottentomatoes for the Spike Jonze 30 minute film I'm Here which is a positive.

8f640.png

3000+ comments to 2000+.

Armond's being overthrown, guys. :lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Spoo said:
So, if Armond White gave it a bad review, does this mean Ebert will give it 4 stars? Since Ebert is a troll and all?

PS: Seriously, White's reviews are about on par with a philosophy major from a bad university. Horrid stuff.

He's not always way off. I do disagree with him often, but he does explain his view and won't succumb to the internet hive mind. I enjoy reading his and Ebert's reviews, whether I agree with them or not, because it gives me perspective. I don't enjoy reviews where all the writer does is glorify a movie even before it comes out. What's happening is the same review stile in the videogame industry is spreading to the movie industry, meaning fan reviews.

Mr. Sam said:
I'm a big Fincher fan but my hype meter is at zero for this one.
Doesn't make you big Fincher fan then. A big fan is someone who give the product/element/entity created by someone a chance and judges the product/element/entity after experiencing it.

Is there a lot of sex in this movie? Not that I'm a prude, but I really find it distracting to the point where it becomes unnecessary when it comes to a lot of movies.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Is there a lot of sex in this movie? Not that I'm a prude, but I really find it distracting to the point where it becomes unnecessary when it comes to a lot of movies.
none.

verbum

This Week In Google on the TWIT network talked about the movie. Leo Laporte and Jeff Jarvis both said they were looking forward to seeing it (for the director's work and the story) but were disappointed afterward. Kind of a "meh" rating.

http://twit.tv/

Watching GAF complain about critics--especially for games and movies you haven't even experienced for yourselves yet--is one of the most satisfying parts of the internet for me, even though it makes me want to shake some sense into my monitor for displaying such babble.

Mr. Sam

shagg_187 said:
Doesn't make you big Fincher fan then. A big fan is someone who give the product/element/entity created by someone a chance and judges the product/element/entity after experiencing it.

OK, thanks.

I like David Fincher as a director, think several of his movies are modern classics, think that the way he uses CGI is, frankly, the best and most effective way to use CGI (see Zodiac, Benjamin Button) and - even if I don't like certain films of his - find elements that I feel should be imitated in nearly all his works, but I'm not a fan of his because I'm not hyped for The Social Network.

Mr. Sam said:
OK, thanks.

I like David Fincher as a director, think several of his movies are modern classics, think that the way he uses CGI is, frankly, the best and most effective way to use CGI (see Zodiac, Benjamin Button) and - even if I don't like certain films of his - find elements that I feel should be imitated in nearly all his works, but I'm not a fan of his because I'm not hyped for The Social Network.
Shall I quote "this is neogaf.gif" for you?

SnakeswithLasers said:
Watching GAF complain about critics--especially for games and movies you haven't even experienced for yourselves yet--is one of the most satisfying parts of the internet for me, even though it makes me want to shake some sense into my monitor for displaying such babble.
You shouldn't read everyones posts as if they are raging though.

My experience: clicking this thread several times over the past few days, going to rottentomatoes to find out the rating, seeing that it stays at 100%, doing to same today and seeing it's down to 97%, thinking "huh, White must've written his review", finding out I'm right. There's not shame in pointing out the obvious, especially when it's hilarious(ly sad).

otake

Souldriver said:
You shouldn't read everyones posts as if they are raging though.

My experience: clicking this thread several times over the past few days, going to rottentomatoes to find out the rating, seeing that it stays at 100%, doing to same today and seeing it's down to 97%, thinking "huh, White must've written his review", finding out I'm right.
Why is it important to you? Why should everyone love this movie?

otake said:
Did I say it is important to me? You are assuming things that aren't true. I'm not (emotionally) invested in this movie, nor in movies in general, and rarely partake in movie discussions on gaf. I'm just keeping an eye on the ratings and review of this movie, because this movie seems to surprise a lot of people, me included, with its quality. I see it holds a 100% rating on rottentomatoes for a while, and suddenly it's down. I assume White posted his review, I find out I'm right as I just made a very educated guess.

Don't misread my posts (or simply the fact I made a post) as being annoyed, enraged, invested, ... in reviews. But where I'm at now is basically a lose-lose situation. Just posting here makes me "suspicious" and having the courtesy to reply to your posts only makes things worse. If I would use the same arguing style as you do, I could retort by saying "why do you care why I care?".

verbum said:
This Week In Google on the TWIT network talked about the movie. Leo Laporte and Jeff Jarvis both said they were looking forward to seeing it (for the director's work and the story) but were disappointed afterward. Kind of a "meh" rating.

http://twit.tv/

I love Leo and watch his podcasts shows every week, can't stand Jeff Jarvis though. Either way, I think Leo is way off on how he feels about the movie. He also feels that the Kinect is amazing and the Move is complete crap, so I don't really value his opinion when it comes to anything outside of tech. :lol

otake said:

looks like a good movie

the irony of this always gets me. people that get hung up on people that get up on a disagreement about an opinion.

GAF is so standoffish all the time.. so black and white. (FOR, AGAINST, etc.) gets tiresome. no one says "this is good" literally.

EDIT: what my man Souldiver said

Mr. Sam said:
OK, thanks.

Yes. You're welcome... ;)
Jokes aside, it's good not to be hyped cause usually hype leads to uncessecary expectations.

Anyways, mild spoilers as always:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/explore-the-excellent-sound-mixing-of-the-social-network

The Soundworks Collection frequently presents featurettes exploring the sound work done on upcoming features and today's profile on The Social Network discusses at least one aspect of the sound mix that is particularly excellent.

With that long intro, I give you sound re-recording mixer and supervisor sound editor Ren Kylce and sound re-recording mixer Michael Semanick as they talk about the sound design and mixing of The Social Network as well as mixing the Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross into the film.

Click the link for the video.

LM4sure

Banned
I suppose I'm a Fincher fan, so I'm interested in seeing the film, but the subject matter doesn't interest me really. It feels like the movie was made too soon too. Isn't a lot of this drama still playing out?

G.O.O.

Gosh.

Neogaf : ignoring movies from great directors if the subject doesn't catch our interest. Hyping digital releases of 20 year old remakes.

otake

G.O.O. said:
Gosh.

Neogaf : ignoring movies from great directors if the subject doesn't catch our interest. Hyping digital releases of 20 year old remakes.

Ummmm yeah. Why watch a movie if the subject doesn't interest you? Because of the director? You're asking a lot from people seeking entertainment.

The reason I brought up the RT score thing is because I had never heard of RT till neogaf, nor did I care. In fact, I don't know anyone that cares. People are usually very calm about liking or disliking movies. I don't understand why a movie has to have a high RT score. If the person liked it, that should be good enough.

LM4sure said:
I suppose I'm a Fincher fan, so I'm interested in seeing the film, but the subject matter doesn't interest me really. It feels like the movie was made too soon too. Isn't a lot of this drama still playing out?

Trust me, if Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher deemed that this tale was worth telling, it is worth telling.

It's not about the drama surrounding Facebook as much as the personalities and events that lead to the drama. How real is the reality of these people is what is interesting ; how each and everyone of them saw their reality, and how different it can be from each others.

The reason I brought up the RT score thing is because I had never heard of RT till neogaf, nor did I care. In fact, I don't know anyone that cares. People are usually very calm about liking or disliking movies. I don't understand why a movie has to have a high RT score. If the person liked it, that should be good enough.

That's a ridiculous statement ; you can like something that's terrible, but it's easier to like something that's good. A good critic is able to tell you why the movie is good, and not if you'll like it.

G.O.O.

otake said:
Ummmm yeah. Why watch a movie if the subject doesn't interest you? Because of the director? You're asking a lot from people seeking entertainment.

I'm not interested in the subject, yet I trust Fincher to turn it into something interesting. The RT scores proves that he must have succeeded somewhere.

I don't know if I'll like it or not, but it's pretty sad to see that people don't even expect to be surprised by artists they used to like.

CassSept

So far I was ignoring this movie but once I've heard that this is being directed by Fincher my interest starting to rise.
Now with these great reviews (and a bad one from Armond!) I can't wait to see this movie. Could this be a sleeper hit of the year?

Though I seriously doubt these comparisons to Citizen Kane. Then again, who am I to judge a movie before seeing it?

CassSept said:
Could this be a sleeper hit of the year?

Though I seriously doubt these comparisons to Citizen Kane. Then again, who am I to judge a movie before seeing it?

Sleeper hit? It's from one of the top directors in Hollywood capturing the entire essence of this generation. It's fantastic and will be a top contender come award season and likely do quite well at the box office.

As for Citizen Kane, none of the comparisons I've read have anything to do with quality. Here is a good breakdown.

CassSept

Expendable. said:
Sleeper hit? It's from one of the top directors in Hollywood capturing the entire essence of this generation. It's fantastic and will be a top contender come award season and likely do quite well at the box office.

As for Citizen Kane, none of the comparisons I've read have anything to do with quality. Here is a good breakdown.
Well, I'll hold my opinion until I see it (two more weeks, it's released here on 15th Oct), but basing on the reviews so far I don't think most of people expected it to be THAT good. I know it's Fincher and all, but subject matter didn't sound too exciting.

Maybe it's also because here in Poland this movie has virtually no promotion - that might be different in the USA, but I didn't hear of TSN until this week. Maybe ad campaign will pick up as the release date gets closer, but I have yet to see any trailer on TV. So far I've seen only one or two billboards here.

Expendable. said:

Fucking great. Now you pissed me off.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Fucking great. Now you pissed me off.

:D

Of course, wait until you see it but many recent films have attempted to capture that feeling but The Social Network is the first to really nail it.

Well I hate that generation. I hate Facebook in general with a passion, but since this is a Fincher movie and it has not-Michael Cera in it, I'll gladly watch it.

Next week will be Let Me In if nothing else is playing.

Solo

Im actually more hyped to check out Let Me In - I knew a Fincher outing would be great, but overwhelming praise for a remake (that no one wanted, no less) of a 2-year old sacred cow catches my interest a lot more.

Solo said:
Im actually more hyped to check out Let Me In - I knew a Fincher outing would be great, but overwhelming praise for a remake (that no one wanted, no less) of a 2-year old sacred cow catches my interest a lot more.
Sarcasm? I know it's going to be a great movie but I've seen the original and I'm in no mood to see a remake, atleast not in theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom