• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

The Adder

Banned

Herne

kisaya said:
This is something I'd want to play for those days where I'm in bed relaxing. 7/10

MS MR - Dark Doo Wop

Really liked it, could say the exact same thing you said to FelixOrion. Interesting lyrics. 8/10.

Straylight Run - Slow Descent

I first heard Straylight Run a couple of years ago and I try to introduce people to them whenever I can - oddly none of my friends yet had ever heard of them.

The Adder

Banned
Really liked it, could say the exact same thing you said to FelixOrion. 8/10.

Straylight Run - Slow Descent

I first heard Straylight Run a couple of years ago and I try to introduce people to them whenever I can - oddly none of my friends yet had ever heard of them.

Nice to hear someone sounding like they're putting themselves into their music. It's a little bit... generic isn't the right word because it seems far too belittling, but I've heard their sound before. Still, they do it well.

7/10

Cloud Story by Dark Dark Dark

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Nice to hear someone sounding like they're putting themselves into their music. It's a little bit... generic isn't the right word because it seems far too belittling, but I've heard their sound before. Still, they do it well.

7/10

Cloud Story by Dark Dark Dark

Had an interesting melody, nice use of accordion, but I wasn't a big fan of the vocals. 6.5/10

Never Be Alone

Everyone needs some happy hardcore in their life.

Herne

Not really a fan of the vocals at all. Happy Hardcore is just not my thing.

4/10

Gru - "Andromeda"

I liked it, I really did, but the drumming almost made me hate it at the start. It got better, but it still annoyed me throughout. The rest of it was stellar, though. I'll take two points off for drumming - 7/10.

ABBA - I Let The Music Speak

Uh oh, I hear the next person cry! He's gonna make me listen to a kitsch 70's Swedish pop group! Well, it's true that ABBA became famous due to their happy-go-lucky pop songs, but by the early 80's that sound had begun to change dramatically. The two couples had broken up and had mostly gone their seperate ways, and so the music in their last album reflects that, resulting in a much more mature sound, both lyrically and musically. This song in particular shows that the annoyingly happy little pop group known for sugary-sweet hits such as Mamma Mia or Dancing Queen can do depth and complexity in equal measure.

Hope you like it, next poster, and that it surprises you.

Servbot24

Banned
I liked it, I really did, but the drumming almost made me hate it at the start. It got better, but it still annoyed me throughout. The rest of it was stellar, though. I'll take two points off for drumming - 7/10.

ABBA - I Let The Music Speak

Uh oh, I hear the next person cry! He's gonna make me listen to a kitsch 70's Swedish pop group! Well, it's true that ABBA became famous due to their happy-go-lucky pop songs, but by the early 80's that sound had begun to change dramatically. The two couples had broken up and had mostly gone their seperate ways, and so the music in their last album reflects that, resulting in a much more mature sound, both lyrically and musically. This song in particular shows that the annoyingly happy little pop group known for sugary-sweet hits such as Mamma Mia or Dancing Queen can do depth and complexity in equal measure.

Hope you like it, next poster, and that it surprises you.

I don't know much ABBA so no biases here. I found this to be a really dynamic track. Yeah it's a little cheesy but that's fine, I like it! I think theatrical music should still be alive. 8/10

Ulver - Eos

Shalabi Effect - On The Bowery

EDIT: Changed the song, this one is nicer.

Love the rhythm to this piece and the voice is beautiful, plus I like the wah-effect guitars that come soaring in across the course of the song. Definitely going to check this album out. 9/10

And now for something completely different;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mMLbF3ts4

creationtheory said:
Sounds like a bunch of hippies. 5/10

Better that than sounding anything like Sigh ;)

injurai

Banned
Oooh, haven't heard this in a minute. Nostalgia'd. I used to be obsessed with "Movies".

9/10

Pretty Lights - Drift Away

Pretty Lights has always been one of my favorites. 9.5/10

Agent Ironside, I think you have the closest tastes to my own as of anyone on gaf.

awful. the japanese rock band prior to this post was way better, sounded like early Sabbath.

Lorelei.

Pretty beautiful, I've had a bit of exposure to Cocteau Twins: Solid 8.5/10

Machinedrum - Whatnot

NinjaBoiX

Hmm, interesting, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. It was quite angular, with the strange dynamics and stop/start structure, which I love, but I wasn't too fond of the riffs or lack of vocals. I always prefer rock music with vocals. I dunno, it felt a little listless too, almost like a jam. But they are good musicians.

On balance, 6/10

Squarepusher - Beep Street

http://www.last.fm/music/Squarepusher/_/Beep+Street

I love the snares and xylophone-esque melody. It's like an acid lullaby or something.

Collete

Hmm, interesting, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. It was quite angular, with the strange dynamics and stop/start structure, which I love, but I wasn't too fond of the riffs or lack of vocals. I always prefer rock music with vocals. I dunno, it felt a little listless too, almost like a jam. But they are good musicians.

On balance, 6/10

Squarepusher - Beep Street

http://www.last.fm/music/Squarepusher/_/Beep+Street

I love the snares and xylophone-esque melody. It's like an acid lullaby or something.

It's an interesting beat, not sure if it's my taste though.
It's oddly calming after you listen to it for awhile though.

7/10

Motions - Matt Wolfe

NinjaBoiX

Very dreamy and beautifully melodic. It felt like I was underwater for some reason. I really enjoyed it.

9/10

I loved the Matt Wolfe tune too, it reminded me about my next pick:

http://www.last.fm/music/Manu+Delago/+videos/+1-17ojj7tgrqw

There are many versions of this around, but this is my favorite. Just glorious.

Hint: turn it up really loud, some of it is barely audible.

(I apologise for linking through lastfm, it's just the only way to guarantee I won't post some duff mobile YT link!)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Very dreamy and beautifully melodic. It felt like I was underwater for some reason. I really enjoyed it.

9/10

(I apologise for linking through lastfm, it's just the only way to guarantee I won't post some duff mobile YT link!)

Interesting. I've seen videos of those before. Pretty chill track. Kinda crazy that he can pitch bend on those. 8/10

Cloudkicker - "Seattle"

Collete

9/10

Why have I not heard of this guy before?
He's amazing and the music is unlike anything I ever heard. 9/10

Saw Emancipator live this winter. Incredible artist. 9.5/10

Mattafix - Everyone Around You

I liked the rhythm a bit, sounded a bit off at first though but over all liked it. 8/10

Good stuff, will check out more. Never heard of him(them?). 7/10 Love this thread to find new music like this.

This is a man after my own screen name. Upbeat quick song.
Citizen Cope - Back Together

Sounds nice, the vocals are nice as well. 9/10

Good fucking song. I knew I would like it since the first second. Liked and Favorited.

10/10

An itch you can't scratch- Junior Senior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KlU0Pky2lU

I loved the first few seconds, was really catchy.
Has a good beat and rhythm, even though the song is not really my cup of tea. 9/10

Bust Your Knee Caps - Pomplamoose

Venfayth

Huh. Don't usually like this style of music, but her voice is really nice. 7/10

Singer has a really nice voice and the lyrics are awsome. 9/10

Archive - Pills

Never know how these types of songs will turn out. Loved the intro, the voice kinda put me off at first, but I grew into it. Kinda felt overwhelmed when the second voice started playing. 7.5/10

Gonna give a multiple choice for my post.

Solo piano: The Night of the Kentaurus Festival - Kashiwa Daisuke

Instrumental speed metal: Technical Difficulties - Racer X

Jazzy .. thing: Waltz for Koop - Koop

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
it's too repetitive for me. the rapping kind of dragged on after a while, too.
4/10

shimau - guns of liberal

Maybe it's not really my thing, but I didn't get it. I love synth stuff though, and what he was doing with the drums was really cool, but I felt like there could've been a lot more change throughout. The end reminded me of Earthbound, though.

6/10

Little Boots- Motorway

True, it seems a lot like that song Lights that's played constantly, but I think Little Boots' voice is better and her production is awesome.

Artemisia

Banned
Maybe it's not really my thing, but I didn't get it. I love synth stuff though, and what he was doing with the drums was really cool, but I felt like there could've been a lot more change throughout. The end reminded me of Earthbound, though.

6/10

Little Boots- Motorway

True, it seems a lot like that song Lights that's played constantly, but I think Little Boots' voice is better and her production is awesome.

I never liked Little Boots much at all, and I was hoping material from her new album would change that. Unfortunately, that song isn't really doing that for me. =/

I'd give it a 5. It's not bad and certainly listenable, but it's just... there.

Rate this:

Katy B - Aaliyah (feat. Jessie Ware & Geeneus)

injurai

Banned
it's too repetitive for me. the rapping kind of dragged on after a while, too.
4/10

shimau - guns of liberal

that was pretty unreal 9/10, you need to join the-jamz for often.

Doesn't do anything for me. Has an early 90s pop feeling to it. I'd rather be listening to ABBA. 4/10

Pulp - This Is Hardcore

8.5/10 - That tempo is really easy to sink into. Mids left a bit to be desired, but overall pretty good.

Spor - Way of the Samurai

6/10

Little Boots- Motorway

Really boring song, I felt is long than it should, no life at all, fades into the background and is completely forgettable

3/10

I never liked Little Boots much at all, and I was hoping material from her new album would change that. Unfortunately, that song isn't really doing that for me. =/

I'd give it a 5. It's not bad and certainly listenable, but it's just... there.

Rate this:

Katy B - Aaliyah (feat. Jessie Ware & Geeneus)

I like the hook, is longer than it should but is very listenable.

7.9/10

God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Edit: Are you guys hearing the complete song before rating? Doesn't feel so.

Well that was unique. I dug it. 7/10 Would play again

More positive vibes from my tunes. Sorry I'm just in that place right now. Wife got back her results on a test today (no not pregnancy lol) and they came back negative so I'm on cloud nine. Doesn't mean you have to like this song but it's just what I'm feeling right now. Tearing up at work.

One Eskimo - Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUodTNIf-E

Shit skipped icarus, will get to that.

Fuckin love it. Favorite song off Idler Wheel. 10/10

eta - Fiona Apple is usually a great (lyrical) songwriter, but the layering of her voice & the percussion in this song is the highlight - really enjoyable & musically brilliant.

The Marvelettes - The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game

Not really my type of song, very old timey, good voices.

8/10

Great voice, liked the first part of the song better but overall pretty good

8.9/10

Waiting for You- Seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHigkvUpVqY

Fuckin love it. Favorite song off Idler Wheel. 10/10

eta - Fiona Apple is usually a great (lyrical) songwriter, but the layering of her voice & the percussion in this song is the highlight - really enjoyable & musically brilliant.

The Marvelettes - The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game

Oh man, I really need to get into more Motown and this song is a damn good reason why. Bass and harmonica is a combo I don't see often and it really works here and can't go wrong with nice smooth vocals.

8/10

speaking of nice vocals, have some Dusty Springfield

Spooky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fola80rQop4

One Eskimo - Amazing
Gets a little grandiose towards the end but the middle had this sweet spot of uplifting mellowness. It irks me that the first 20 seconds have all the sound coming from the left side and the right channel is empty but that's just a pet peeve of mine.
5.5/10

Waiting For You - Seal
Interesting mix of sounds and rather well produced. Gets a little grandiose too but it's earned here with a better build up and generally more variety in my opinion.
7.5/10

Edit: damn, shouldn't have listened to it twice. now two posts were skipped. I'll add ratings for those songs in this post in a bit.
Edit: BAM! all caught up on ratings

Oh man, I really need to get into more Motown and this song is a damn good reason why. Bass and harmonica is a combo I don't see often and it really works here and can't go wrong with nice smooth vocals.

8/10

speaking of nice vocals, have some Dusty Springfield

Spooky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fola80rQop4

Edit: damn, shouldn't have listened to it twice. now two posts were skipped. I'll add ratings for those songs in this post in a bit.

Nice elevator song
7/10

i'll try! i need to get my headphone jack fixed first though, i'm using laptop speakers for sound atm.
the flashbulb - mellann

Now that's something cool sounding. very unusual but doesn't overstate it's welcome.

8/10

Stuck - Stacie Orrico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEISuvJ1p8Q

Roubjon

I definitely liked it. It isn't the type of music I listen to often, but if it was on the radio or something, I'd keep it on for sure. My favorite part was around the 2:20 mark.

7/10

I thought it was okay and I definitely liked the softer parts of the song more than the louder ones. Once again, I'd definitely keep it on if it popped up on a radio.

6/10

Donkeyboy - Blade Running

Also, I'm glad I just discovered this thread. It's awesome.

Top Bottom