• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

Bebpo

Banned
haha, yeah it's not a big deal. But always good to start off a thread with some spoiler tag examples so later on when it's like OMG ROUTE SPLIT AMURO DIED, someone will know to spoiler tag it :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
haha, yeah it's not a big deal. But always good to start off a thread with some spoiler tag examples so later on when it's like OMG ROUTE SPLIT AMURO DIED, someone will know to spoiler tag it :)

True, but I believed they got that synopsis from the Famitsu scan, w/c is why I didn't bother w/ the tag in the first place.

Niblet

Bebpo said:
This stuff actually happens in a SRW game? I don't think I can handle the rage.

xero273

Niblet said:

It does in this game. Amuro dies and Ribbons Almark becomes new Amuro

nah it never happens.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Niblet said:

Actually in one game...

Amuro doesn't actually die. Zero does a geass on him when he dies, and makes Amuro the new Zero. He then joins forces with the Decepticons to take down the good GoBots, before being utterly defeated by Megas XLR.

That was the best SRW game ever.

Huzzah, I know how to use SPOILER tags correctly! I need to go take my meds now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
3 days left!!! Are you reaaaddddyyy?

play-asia status: Preparing Order

No. No I'm not.

It figures that every bloody time a SRW game comes out, I completely stop playing any games I'm playing at the time until I finish the SRW game. Then I get too lazy to start-up those games that I stop playing later.

SRW is the reason why I have a stupid backlog.

CURSE YOU SRW, WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS HAVE MY UNDIVIDED ATTENTION?!?
*shakes fist*

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
mr jones said:
No Voltron, Defender of the Universe? :(

Nah, I think Dancougar amd Dancougar Nova both take the requisite "mecha anime where several mecha beasts combine to form one giant robot" spot. Besides, they already put it in SRW W. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Voltron is in the list of "stuff they put in the last few handhelds and they'll start putting in the voiced big budget games as they run out of new series to add in" along with:

-Fullmetal panic
-Tekkaman Blade
-Detonator Orgun
-Gun x Sword
-Godanner
-Jeeg (new version)
-Gaiking (new version)
-Zoids Genesis
-Eva 1.11/2.22
-Soukyuu no Fafner
-Linebarrels
-Gundam Astray (although since we're past the SEED phase, I doubt we'll ever see this again; too bad as Astray is the best SEED but then again I really don't want to replay SEED universe plot any more times, so it's for the best)
-SEED Stargazer (same)

And those are just from the last two or three DS games. Dancougar Nova debuted in DS games and is getting the upgrade in Z2; Mac F also debuted there. I expect a bunch of those shows to start filter in to the major SRW titles over time. The new Jeeg will come for SURE sooner or later (next time they want to include a Jeeg); which is great because new Jeeg is pretty awesome. The ones that are more kiddy like the new Gaiking or Zoids may not as the mainline ones tend not to have many of the more kid-orientated franchises.

Anyhow, yeah pretty excited about Z2. Been trying to clear my backlog for the last few weeks so I can just play Z2 when I have gaming time. Almost there. Just need to finish Disgaea 4 and I should do that today; on the final chapter. Didn't expect D4 to be so freaking long.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
Anyhow, yeah pretty excited about Z2. Been trying to clear my backlog for the last few weeks so I can just play Z2 when I have gaming time. Almost there. Just need to finish Disgaea 4 and I should do that today; on the final chapter. Didn't expect D4 to be so freaking long.

Dood. Off-topic, but how long is D4?

And I'm never gonna get my bloody backlog cleared. Damn SRW games.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
Voltron is in the list of "stuff they put in the last few handhelds and they'll start putting in the voiced big budget games as they run out of new series to add in" along with:

-Fullmetal panic
-Tekkaman Blade
-Detonator Orgun
-Gun x Sword
-Godanner
-Jeeg (new version)
-Gaiking (new version)
-Zoids Genesis
-Eva 1.11/2.22
-Soukyuu no Fafner
-Linebarrels
-Gundam Astray (although since we're past the SEED phase, I doubt we'll ever see this again; too bad as Astray is the best SEED but then again I really don't want to replay SEED universe plot any more times, so it's for the best)
-SEED Stargazer (same)

And those are just from the last two or three DS games. Dancougar Nova debuted in DS games and is getting the upgrade in Z2; Mac F also debuted there. I expect a bunch of those shows to start filter in to the major SRW titles over time. The new Jeeg will come for SURE sooner or later (next time they want to include a Jeeg); which is great because new Jeeg is pretty awesome. The ones that are more kiddy like the new Gaiking or Zoids may not as the mainline ones tend not to have many of the more kid-orientated franchises.

You really think that we are past the SEED Phase? Don't get me wrong, the fact that Exia is on the cover instead of Destiny makes me hopeful but SEED did way better then 00 or at least it seems that way from an outsiders point of view that I have a fear we haven't moved past the bulk of it yet.

Bebpo

Banned
HaRyu said:
Dood. Off-topic, but how long is D4?

And I'm never gonna get my bloody backlog cleared. Damn SRW games.

Probably about 1.3-1.5x the length of N1's normal srpgs.

I always clear the main story in their srpgs in about 30 hours give or take 2-3 hours. But I'm at 40 hours now and it'll definitely about around 42-45 by the time I finish it. The extra length is because they decided to go the Phoenix Wright I-am-a-visual-novel route and have every story scene every 2 maps be 5+ mins long. I think it was a bad change and makes the story kind of a boring to sit through despite having good characters and some great jokes. I'll probably write up something on the forum when I finish it since no one bothered with an |OT| or impressions.

TruePrime said:
You really think that we are past the SEED Phase? Don't get me wrong, the fact that Exia is on the cover instead of Destiny makes me hopeful but SEED did way better then 00 or at least it seems that way from an outsiders point of view that I have a fear we haven't moved past the bulk of it yet.

I think we are done with SEED for good in SRW unless they make the SEED movie that's been on hold forever. I don't expect SEED to show up in any SRW again for many many years (not counting series where they're still tagging along like Z). They did the SEED/SEED-D plot way too many times and now they have OO plot to do and Unicorn plot coming. SEED is gone imo; time to celebrate :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Leaked chinese copies means videos.

(Obviously if you want to remain spoiler free, don't click any of these.)

Demo 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsP1E-GoNI
Demo 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbWsEjSALs

Gameplay (Various, mostly from VOTOMS, Gundam Wing and Gundam 00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAmRLSO6eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVwUR7tfb1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUn3xFIRd6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2WT5tzAn8

Two days early? Well, that's not bad. I think the last SRW game was a week early.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I see spoilers are starting to leak everywhere (returning characters, hidden units, etc...) so I'm going into info blackout until I get my copy and start playing. Hoping I'll have it saturday although it'd be super awesome if ncsx got their copies in on wednesday and I get it friday (happens once in a blue moon).

Shouta

Got myself a copy and man does it look sooooo awesome on a PSP. Very sweet, though the title screen looks a little crappy.

Katbot

Bebpo said:
I think we are done with SEED for good in SRW unless they make the SEED movie that's been on hold forever. I don't expect SEED to show up in any SRW again for many many years (not counting series where they're still tagging along like Z). They did the SEED/SEED-D plot way too many times and now they have OO plot to do and Unicorn plot coming. SEED is gone imo; time to celebrate :p

SEED is the new Universal Century (sadly). It's there by default.

Watching the videos, I'm delighted by the BGM choices for Gundam Wing (not that there were many choices). Well done, Bampresto.

Beth Cyra

Katbot said:
SEED is the new Universal Century (sadly). It's there by default.

Watching the videos, I'm delighted by the BGM choices for Gundam Wing (not that there were many choices). Well done, Bampresto.

SEED is popular, and it stands up to UC now, but in no way is it as strong as overall as UC or Amuro, Char, and Kamille.

I to scarcly believe that we are as done with the Cosmic era like he believes, but neither is it as powerful as UC either.

Outside of Mazinger Z, very few things even come close.

Katbot

TruePrime said:
SEED is popular, and it stands up to UC now, but in no way is it as strong as overall as UC or Amuro, Char, and Kamille.

I to scarcly believe that we are as done with the Cosmic era like he believes, but neither is it as powerful as UC either.

Outside of Mazinger Z, very few things even come close.

I think you underestimate the appeal of CE to younger audiences in Japan. UC still has all the nostalgic value (and it's still one of the few franchises that is popular with all ages and backgrounds in Japan), but it's CE that's selling it to the younger audiences. Not coincidentally, they're also the ones who are buying the games.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
Got myself a copy and man does it look sooooo awesome on a PSP. Very sweet, though the title screen looks a little crappy.

How is the map?

Katbot said:
I think you underestimate the appeal of CE to younger audiences in Japan. UC still has all the nostalgic value (and it's still one of the few franchises that is popular with all ages and backgrounds in Japan), but it's CE that's selling it to the younger audiences. Not coincidentally, they're also the ones who are buying the games.

But CE is done. It's been done for years. The popularity is gone. OO universe is the new hotness for these younger kids. I don't think anyone cares about SEED anymore.

Katbot

Bebpo said:
But CE is done. It's been done for years. The popularity is gone. OO universe is the new hotness for these younger kids. I don't think anyone cares about SEED anymore.

Last I checked (circa September 2010 or so), Kira and Lacus were still topping the popularity polls in Gundam Ace. And Strike Freedom is still easily one of the most popular units (sadly).

00 has caught on since Season 2, but like I said, don't discount CE. As recently as last year, they were still pimping the franchise with those awful Vs. Astray kits.

Shouta

CE is still very popular over here.

I haven't been able to put too much time in yet but the map is very nice looking and the head icons look great.

Beth Cyra

Katbot said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

As I said, it's popular, certainly more so then any Gundam has been outside of UC.

However, I simply disagree with mentioning CE in the same breath as UC.

When Kira, Athrun or Shinn become a national icon like Char has, or they contruct a giant replica of Strike or something on that level I think trying to say it's the UC is blowing it's popularity out of perportion.

UC still gets the love, their are plenty of games that are UC only, and when they are crossed over, it isn't Kira that takes the lead role. It Amuro most of the time.

Not only that but it really seems as though 00 is eating into Seed's popularity. Not to mention there is Wing stuff also being produced right now (the new light novels and mangas) so they have several things driving Gundam right now, not just CE or UC.

Katbot said:
Last I checked (circa September 2010 or so), Kira and Lacus were still topping the popularity polls in Gundam Ace. And Strike Freedom is still easily one of the most popular units (sadly).

00 has caught on since Season 2, but like I said, don't discount CE. As recently as last year, they were still pimping the franchise with those awful Vs. Astray kits.

Is that the one where Wing Gundam Zero Custom won or was that earlier in the year?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FFFFFF you don't know Zambot 3? It did "mecha deconstruction" long before EVA came out from Gainax's horrible uterus!

If you're referring to the TC, he wrote that he knows Zambot 3. He just happens to not like it.

Re: SEED. SEED was explicitly designed to be the 'new' UC, and if it hadn't been for Fukuda and Morosawa completely destroying GSD that might have actually panned out in the long run. That said, Cosmic Era is still a lot easier to build a generic setting around (as they are wont to do for SRW games) than something like AD or AW. My guess will be that GSD's troupe will be the new 'Endless Waltz' - something they toss in when they want a quick and easy group of Real Robots who have already completed their plot to pad the roster.

Boss Doggie

Then again I'm those golden age anime watchers who loved golden age anime and loathe many of the new stuff so okay (I laugh at TTGL people, for instance).

On a related note, looks like I'll miss squads. Hopefully Orguss still has that hax evasion he has in the first game.

Shouta

Crowe is a bro and Traia is indeed a chick, at least from what the folks in the first stage are saying. She does have a persona with that mask though...

Boss Doggie

Crow is the most customizable of the OGs tho, what with picking if you're melee/ranged, etc.

Also damn it Terada, you lied! I used your birthday!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i know its the new hotness, but fucking macross frontier needs to go away already. i would love to see isamu, hikaru or hell, even nekki over these clowns. when was the last time the plus crew was in a game, a3? also, what was the last game to have reideen in it?

Boss Doggie

They are. Quite clean and crisp compared to MX and Portable A, but then again those are ports.

Shouta

Oh my fucking god, the Dai Guard Op remix is fucking boss. Best remix I've heard in an SRW ever, I think.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GRAAAAAH.

NEED.

GAME.

NOW.

And from a friend of mine who managed to snag a copy (HATE HATE HATE):

So it looks like that at least for the first 15 or so stages, no one who was in SRW Z have popped up yet. Any character/series you see in the first 15 (any route) are either all the ones who weren't in Z, or the ones that are alts (Shin Mazinger, Shin Getter, Eureka 7 movie).

Also, another route split at the end of Stage 15.

HaRyu said:
So it looks like that at least for the first 15 or so stages, no one who was in SRW Z have popped up yet. Any character/series you see in the first 15 (any route) are either all the ones who weren't in Z, or the ones that are alts (Shin Mazinger, Shin Getter, Eureka 7 movie).

Also, another route split at the end of Stage 15.

Yeah, I expect they'll just D-bomb their way in later.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, now that people are playing and loving it, the wait until this weekend will be hard. Need more super robos in my life. Will try to compensate by finally sitting down and watching diebuster.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh lol.

Same friend just told me that he's had Heero/Gundam Wing for a few stages, and he was confused why he had yet to hear "Wings Of A Boy That Killed Adolescence". He only heard "Just Communication" every time he used Heero.

Apparently, he JUST realized that you have to set the BGM, and "Just Communication" is the default.

Katbot

HaRyu said:
Oh, he knew that.

He just couldn't figure out why he only kept hearing "Just Communication". ^O^

Hoping Rhythm Emotion pops up once the Wing Boys get their upgrades...

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmmm, amiami has the box + booklet version in stock now for normal price. Makes me wish I didn't order from ncsx this time around. I went with the standard version since ncsx wanted $36 more for the box, but amiami is only charging the actual 500yen price increase :X If I was a really crazy SRW fan I'd order the box edition from amiami and just have 2 copies.

Good thing I stopped being a crazy game collector.

Shouta

Oh man, Dai-guard literally runs on Guts because both Ibuki and Aoyama have 根性 as their first seishin and Akagi has ド根性 and 努力 has his first two.

Top Bottom