• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
squall23 said:
That you won't like what I have to say next.
God Scrander isn't in this game. In fact, pretty much every series besides Getter don't get their upgrade. They weren't kidding when they said this is only part 1.

Really? Not really too upset about that.

I know its a final attack, so I'm not too surprised its like that. Since this game is suppose to be in two parts, I was wondering if they were going to extend Shin Mazinger into the 2nd part or just finish it this game.

And as far as I know, not many series in the game even get major upgrades at all. Either they already start w/ the upgrade (ZEUTH crew), or the upgrade would happen after a time skip (Shin Getter, GL, Gundam 00). So I was prepared. :p

And woohoo, Stage 8 complete.

Shouta

Ookami-kun said:
Have EN refillers ready and make them learn Move Resupply ability. Daiguard and Mazinger Z work wonders.

This is the first game where Proton Beam is one of his stronger attacks eh?

Well, obviously and yeah, Proton Beam is incredibly powerful in Shin Mazinger whereas it was a basic attack in the original series.

Anyway, I got to Stage 20 and wow that's a lot of units in that stage. I was two units from getting the Skill Point but I had to take down
Zechs and Suzaku
with no SP left and yeah, that's not fun. Too lazy to get it this time but I will the 2nd time I go through.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Well, obviously and yeah, Proton Beam is incredibly powerful in Shin Mazinger whereas it was a basic attack in the original series.

Anyway, I got to Stage 20 and wow that's a lot of units in that stage. I was two units from getting the Skill Point but I had to take down
Zechs and Suzaku
with no SP left and yeah, that's not fun. Too lazy to get it this time but I will the 2nd time I go through.

Yeaaaah... friend was having a hell of a time with that one. I beat that stage for him too. ^O^

Strategy/Observations for Stage 20:
I would suggest that before you kill the last unit of the initial wave, wait till its the start of your player phase, and you have all your units ready to attack. If possible, use Gundam Exia for the final blow, since Setsuna has that pilot ability to move again if he successful makes a kill. You should also take the time to position your units around the map near the spawn points of the reinforcements, that way you dont waste too much time moving around (this also includes putting a unit or two near the OTHER set of reinforcement that pop up after you kill enough of the 2nd wave). You will also want to kill as many units as possible just to get that 3rd wave to pop up early.

The most problematic areas are the northern and western part of the map. The western part because the four western most units are long range units, and they wont hesitate to fire at whatever is furthest away. Don't keep any unnecessary units near the west. The two boss units on the left complicate matters, so you should just primarily attack those two, and rely on enemy phase to damage the grunts around them.

The north part is almost the same, w/ 4 boss units covering that area (but 2 of them aren't that troublesome). One of the boss unit's attacks stops all movement (moving and attacking), so use Flash.

The east part isnt so bad, even though there's a lot of boss units on that side. I found that placing two units primarily covering that area works well, those two being the Macross F battleship in robot mode, and Chirico's Scope Dog w/ the Red Shoulder attachement. As long as there's no other desirable targets, the enemies on the East side will either go for the battleship or the Scope Dog. You might want to put 2 or 3 units close to the top of this spawn point, that way they can cover both the east spawn point and that spawn point in the northeast.

The south part can get tricky. The group on the left are going to try and move up the map, but you should still try to get a few of them before they do. The right group (w/c has Suzaku) isn't too hard, but if you're not covering the area well, you might be overwhelmed.

Shouta

Oh, I know how to do it, I just don't want to do it again. Like I said, I was on the last turn of the Skill Point and the two mentioned above were still alive with like 2000 HP and I was out of SP and people to attack with heh. Not going to do it again just for that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Oh, I know how to do it, I just don't want to do it again. Like I said, I was on the last turn of the Skill Point and the two mentioned above were still alive with like 2000 HP and I was out of SP and people to attack with heh. Not going to do it again just for that.

You just just skipped that Skill Point then?

Ken said:
Is this possible to play without knowing Japanese?

Yes. Might even teach you a little bit on how to read Japanese.

Shouta

HaRyu said:
You just just skipped that Skill Point then?

Yes. Might even teach you a little bit on how to read Japanese.

I missed it by 2 units, I just didn't go back and redo it again.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
I missed it by 2 units, I just didn't go back and redo it again.

Ahh, I could never do that. Too obsessive w/ SRW games to let a Skill Point go unfulfilled.

When SRW Alpha Gaiden first came out, I spent a whole week on the "true" last stage trying to kill Neo Granzon in under 3 turns, because it was rumored that was the Skill Point for that stage. I also don't like letting my units die (even if though you don't permamently lose them if they do). My idea of a perfectly played SRW game is a perfect Skill Point score w/ no casualties on my side. ^O^

hteng

Banned
Ken said:
Is this possible to play without knowing Japanese?

it will help if you know a little/familiar with it. You need to know what spirit command does what though.

damn i spent a total of 300USD to play this game D: but it looks so good. Currently at chapter 9, daiguard seems rather... underpower for a SR, shitty armor, shitty weapons, alright seishin set, it really needs some iron wall seishins or it won't survive a round in the front lines. :/

Almost none of the series actually complete in this game.

Anyway, if all goes well I should have this game in my hands in a couple hours.

Shouta

hteng said:
small guard compare to mazinger

Actually, if you power up Daiguard properly, it actually does better on the frontlines than Mazinger does because it doesn't rely on EN as much, has 3 seishin banks, and pretty much all of its attacks are Post-movement. In fact, at least two of those attacks are Pierce barriers too which makes it sick for a certain type of enemy. Akagi also is one of the few Super Robot pilots to get Soul later into the game though that's through his ACE Bonus. So it does have a lot of perks to counterbalance its weaknesses. It also has 3 parts slots, gains PP faster than any unit in the game, and can Resupply on the frontline.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
TruePrime said:
Wait, so even Gundam Wing don't go up to the Wing Zero, and the other characters respective upgrades?

It's a good thing though - I'm goddamn sick of LAST IMPRESSION

Ookami-kun said:
It's a good thing though - I'm goddamn sick of LAST IMPRESSION

That has nothing to do with whether or not it upgrades and everything to do with whether or not 'Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz' appears on the series list.

Well, except for @Gaiden, which had the good graces to give us White Reflection.

Got the game. Music is sooo gooooood.

hteng

Banned
Shouta said:
Actually, if you power up Daiguard properly, it actually does better on the frontlines than Mazinger does because it doesn't rely on EN as much, has 3 seishin banks, and pretty much all of its attacks are Post-movement. In fact, at least two of those attacks are Pierce barriers too which makes it sick for a certain type of enemy. Akagi also is one of the few Super Robot pilots to get Soul later into the game though that's through his ACE Bonus. So it does have a lot of perks to counterbalance its weaknesses. It also has 3 parts slots, gains PP faster than any unit in the game, and can Resupply on the frontline.

yea i only recently noticed it can resupply itself lol, but that means wasting 1 turn to use it.

Im sorta stuck at Stage 17 to get the SR point since my daiguard is weak and it's almost impossible to get the ball thing down solo in 3 rounds.

Shouta

Just rip through the other units and bring some extra units up to take it on before Daiguard needs to Knot Punisher it (if that's the map, I'm thinking of).

Boss Doggie

However, they made it that units with more than 1 pilot = smaller SP pool or bigger SP cost on their Spirits. And I'm already high levels yet only GL has the double damage spirit, and I don't even like to use that mech!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Uuugh... I feel like crap.
Marathoned game till the wee hours of the morning. I'm on Stage 21 or 22 right now.

I'm currently on Stage 16 ( Geass, 00, Votoms route ) and I just love this game. The music is a big highlight for me aside from well, you know, the robots! Chirico is such a beast too!

Boss Doggie

Sseklebeast said:
I'm currently on Stage 16 ( Geass, 00, Votoms route ) and I just love this game. The music is a big highlight for me aside from well, you know, the robots! Chirico is such a beast too!

Max him out and he'll be pumping Crits like there's no tomorrow!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
How to describe Stage 23? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Fun stage, in a "screaming-nervous-scared-panicky-pooped-in-my-undies" kind of way. Amp that up even more if you want to get the Skill Point. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bebpo

Banned
I get the feeling that today of all days, the mailman is taking the day off because he's sick or something. Getting the feeling I won't be starting this until next week :/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Badass Moment Alert: Stage 31

Pre-battle story. Chirico shoots a ship out of the air w/ his handgun. God I love VOTOMS.

Shouta

HaRyu said:
Badass Moment Alert: Stage 31

Pre-battle story. Chirico shoots a ship out of the air w/ his handgun. God I love VOTOMS.

Yeah, I laughed at that hard. it was a super handgun but lolz.

The parts in this game are really good, much bigger variety than before and that's cool on the other hand PP skills aren't nearly as crazy, heh.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Yeah, I laughed at that hard. it was a super handgun but lolz.

The parts in this game are really good, much bigger variety than before and that's cool on the other hand PP skills aren't nearly as crazy, heh.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I can do crazy if I manage to give a pilot a combination of Attack Again and Continuous Movement. *CACKLE*

Shouta

I gave The Blaster an S in Sky and gave Crowe and S to so yay, top terrain rating but giving him Attack Again will be the next skill I toss his way.

Niblet

You guys enjoy your super expensive PSP game. I'll just keep to this GBA version (OG2) that was recommended for me to try out. A few questions on that:

1) Is the battlefield just for imagery? Do you ever have any meaningful interaction with the battlefield?

2) There are so many options available to me during intermission. I can upgrade pilots (skills and stats), I can upgrade mech stats, I can buy new weapons (and upgrade them?) I can switch mechs between pilots, etc. This is all overwhelming. Is there a neat primer on what is the best course of action to follow in any given situation? When should I spend points to upgrade my pilots or my mech. when should I buy new weapons, parts. etc. How do I know to identify who benefits from what spending? @_@

Beth Cyra

Very happy with the game. About stage 35, took the Wing/Geese route everytime, pretty happy overall.

Much happier when Setsuna and Heero are together though, can't understand a lick of Japanese, but when they have their bouts of ....... it's always enjoyable for me.

Still really pissed that of all SeeD Destiny character's they carried over
Lunamaria

Got to say though, I am missing Grendizer something feirce. It maybe just because I am a Dizer fan, and I will admit that. But the lack of Duke, Rand, Dizer and Gunleon seems just very odd with everyone else showing back up.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Niblet said:
You guys enjoy your super expensive PSP game. I'll just keep to this GBA version (OG2) that was recommended for me to try out. A few questions on that:

1) Is the battlefield just for imagery? Do you ever have any meaningful interaction with the battlefield?

Certain parts of the field either add or subtract to your hit/dodge rate (forested area, building, etc). Certain square also will recover some HP or EN at the beginning of a turn, if a unit is on it. If there are any units underwater, be well aware that certain weapons (lasers, primarily) lose their effectiveness when they are used and cause less damage. This applies to either getting shot at while underwater, or shooting someone WHILE underwater. One common tactic is to dive into the water in order to survive longer, or use a unit that's absolutely fine underwater to attack enemy units.

Niblet said:
2) There are so many options available to me during intermission. I can upgrade pilots (skills and stats), I can upgrade mech stats, I can buy new weapons (and upgrade them?) I can switch mechs between pilots, etc. This is all overwhelming. Is there a neat primer on what is the best course of action to follow in any given situation? When should I spend points to upgrade my pilots or my mech. when should I buy new weapons, parts. etc. How do I know to identify who benefits from what spending? @_@

There's no BEST way to upgrade, it really is more of a matter of personal preference. For example, I upgrade evenly for the most part, I don't try to max out one unit ASAP. I know of others who do that though, so either way is perfectly fine.

When to spend point/credits? That's easy. When you're getting slaughtered, you probably have to spend at that point. To be honest, if you're good at the game, you can go quite a long while w/o upgrading anything (I can make it through a whole playthrough of SRW Alpha w/o spending a single credit. BWAHAHAHAHA)

xero273

just started playing today. So awesome. When I saw wing units I was like damn it's been awhile since I seen wing units for me. So use to the endless waltz units.

hteng

Banned
holy shit stage 20 FUUUUUUU, most difficult map so far, i had to retried it 10+ times to get the SR, so bloody annoying. there's like 10+ boss characters simultaneously on the field and its a headache to keep your troops alive while dissing out enough damage to kill them in 3 turns.. bloody hell. I want my 3 hour back D;

Bebpo

Banned
Woohoo, mail came really late in the day but I ended up getting it. Played 2 maps so far and here are some thoughts:

1. First of all the biggest change to me is the elimination of the fast foward animation system that was introduced in Alpha 3 and has been in every SRW since and the replacement of it with the "chapter" skipping system. For me, the introduction of FF is what hooked me on SRW; until they introduced FF animations I had played SRW games but never stuck with them. I probably hold FF for 90% of all animations because I'm impatient and I don't really care about grunt or non-impressive attacks but I'd still like to see them so I hold down FF. So it's a bit of a shock to not be able to FF.

But I've always wanted them to introduce the ability to skip the animation of one side and jump directly to the counterattack. So the new system is really cool! The new dvd "chapter" style animation skipping is done really smart since you can see ALL the dialogue exchanges, hits/dodges, dynamic kills and skip everything else in the middle. Thanks to this I'll probably see a lot more dialogue exchanges than I ever have in a SRW game since I'll just leave the animations on and skip the actual animation part and leave the exchanges.

So I'm sad I can't FF through boring looking attacks after the inital 2 seconds of realizing this is going to be a boring attack. But I love the new skipping. So pro/con thing. Would've been nice if they let you do both since it's not like O is used for anything during the animations or even let you change between the two in the system options, but oh well; I can live with the new system. Also I wonder if they couldn't do the FF because of UMD sloooow read speed.

2. The lack of vertical space and size of the units during animations. Obviously it was inevitable that going from a 4:3 resolution to a lower 16:9 resolution while keeping the resolution of the unit sprites around the same was going to cause a more close-up screen-filling look. It just looks a little...cramped at times; like it could use some more breathing space. It's not bad, just different and again I'm sure I'll get used to it.

3. Backgrounds are weird. They look nice but there is this strange layering effect I've never seen in a previous SRW. At the start when things start scrolling it's like a stutter/screen tearing effect between each layer and until the units pop up and start moving it's kind of distracting. But once the animations start you don't really notice it much. Since Z1 had the same type of layering I'm not sure why it's only being weird here. I think it might be an effect of going from an interlaced game to a progressive scan game.

4. Cutins. The cutins look gorgeous, but some of the timing of them is weird so far. Like with Crow the whole "super fast FFx3 speed cutin at the start before he's even done anything"...is strange. I'm used to cutins being like the unit starts up, starts their attack and the cutin kind of flows into it. Here a few so far have just jumped straight into the cutins at the start and cutins are flying in and out REALLY fast which just seems weeeeeird. I dunno, not bad; just odd.

5. Loading. After data install it's good for the most part, but you can definitely tell where the loading keeps the game from being as smooth as the PS2 or DS games. Like when you first start an animation there is the GIANT Z BOX until it loads in the character portrait and the unit shows up, and when you attack with a new unit instead of instantly starting the new unit BGM like every SRW to date, there's kind of a pause....then your new BGM kicks in. And using seishin has a tiny bit of load pause before the seishin animation. Even around the UI there's just little mini-pauses here and there that must be from the loading. I wonder if this stuff is smoothed out when running the game off a memory stick like on a hacked PSPGO. It's still a quick game with short loading, but just not quite as smooth as the DS/PS2 titles.

6. Map is gorgeous. Looks better than I could have imagined. And I'm surprised by how huge some of the maps are. The only odd thing here is the black border around the outside of it so when there is an event and the camera jumps to a corner of the map you're staring at a huge black space for half the screen. Again, some odd choices in the game.

7. More voiced story lines. Yes! I was disappointed by how few voiced story scene lines there were in Z1 compared to Alpha 3. I'm guessing other people were as well as it seems like already there are a good amount of voiced story lines.

8. Otherwise, everything else seems great as usual. Nice looking animations, interface seems fine, story scenes look good.

9. Daybreak Bell arrange is kind of mehhhhhhh

10. Question about mission 2:
before the mission Crow's boss tells him he'll get paid 30,000 for the job then adds 50,000 if he does the job without taking damage. Does doing the mission without taking any damage actually change the story?

These Dimensional Monsters can go die in a bloody fire, one hopefully caused by a Mazinger Photon Beam. I mean, come on. These things drain EN and Will while hitting hard with great accuracy? And a goddamn barrier on top of that?

I'm practically spamming Focus and Trust every turn just to stay alive.

hteng

Banned
InsaneZero said:
These Dimensional Monsters can go die in a bloody fire, one hopefully caused by a Mazinger Photon Beam. I mean, come on. These things drain EN and Will while hitting hard with great accuracy? And a goddamn barrier on top of that?

i recall one of their attacks will cause your moral to drop too lol, feels bad man.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
10. Question about mission 2:
before the mission Crow's boss tells him he'll get paid 30,000 for the job then adds 50,000 if he does the job without taking damage. Does doing the mission without taking any damage actually change the story?

No idea. I'll have to try it out on my next play through.

Shouta

HaRyu said:
No idea. I'll have to try it out on my next play through.

I don't think it changes the story if at all myself. Speaking of that part:

Stage 30 stuff:
A little past it but forgot to mention. Lol poor Crowe, finally pays back his debt and then Traia took his "Use my money to develop the weapon" a little too far. New shiny attack though and double his original debt, hah. I wonder if this attack changes with the setting you choose at the beginning of the game.

Boss Doggie

InsaneZero said:

And don't forget these guys have fucking Prevail, so when you managed to get them at critical health, they'll be boosted!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo!
Mazinger has Jet Scrander now! He's already broken enough as is, but now he can fly! BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

On a sidenote: Anyone get their any of their pilots to ACE status yet? I've only gotten Crow to it in my game.

Bebpo

Banned
I forgot how long some of these stages are. By map 5 I think I'm already dropping back to my 1-2 maps per day srw playing like I do with the console ones. Map 5
geass
route was ridiculously long before even getting to the battle.

Game is awesome though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tears of joy:
Seeing the Daitarn-3, Zambot-3, Toraider-G7 Combo Attack for the first time.

Shouta

Crowe, Godmars, Daiguard, and Mazinger are my ACEs so far but I think I have a few more folks that are really close or have already gotten there.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I have come to the decision that the Pilot Skill: Continuous Movement (300 PP) is the best goddamn skill ever.

When you start getting the ZEUTH units, at some point, they'll start joining you w/ enough pts to buy that skill. It makes all the difference in the world, and makes getting the skill points in the later stages way easier.

Shouta

Continous Move and Attack Again are incredible skills, for sure. I put both on Crowe and he's just ripping through enemies like crazy. I've given it to most of my units in fact even though I don't use them. Mazinger is gonna be epic with both on though, Proton Beam spam from long range? OOOOOOOOH YEAH

Top Bottom