• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

Ken

Almost have 300 PP for Crowe but I'm not sure where to buy and assign skills in the menu? Also, how do I make Godmars? I always bring out the small red robot but never see an option to transform.

Bebpo

Banned
Ken said:
Almost have 300 PP for Crowe but I'm not sure where to buy and assign skills in the menu? Also, how do I make Godmars? I always bring out the small red robot but never see an option to transform.

In the intermission menu it's the 2nd one down on the left. Then pick Crowe, go to the middle slot, then last page of skills and the one that costs 300 PP is continues movement.

As for Godmars, you need 130 morale to transform. So either have him fight enemies, have your other units kill LOTS of enemies or spam kiai (25 or 30sp skill) which gives him 10 morale each time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
In the intermission menu it's the 2nd one down on the left. Then pick Crowe, go to the middle slot, then last page of skills and the one that costs 300 PP is continues movement.

As for Godmars, you need 130 morale to transform. So either have him fight enemies, have your other units kill LOTS of enemies or spam kiai (25 or 30sp skill) which gives him 10 morale each time.

Also, don't forget that if any character has Continuous Action, it will even still activate as long as the unit's morale is 115 or higher, even though the condition is 120 Morale. The reason being is that as soon as you kill something, that unit gains +5 Morale, so if you're at 115, you're golden.

Funnily enough, its because of Continuous Action that I've actually hardly ever used Kiai (the +10 Morale boost), in this game. Hell, I think I've only used Kiai three times, ever since the 1st run.

Bebpo

Banned
I never really used it in other SRW games, but I use it here for Godmars and Dancougar early on as their non-combined forms don't have great armor so they aren't the best frontline fighters.

Shin Getter Robo aints the one to be fucked with. As a matter of fact, he was the inspiration of my Gamertag.

BTW, how the hell can you play this game with teh large amount of Japanese? Is this even remotely playable for us Americanos?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shin Dynamo X said:
Shin Getter Robo aints the one to be fucked with. As a matter of fact, he was the inspiration of my Gamertag.

BTW, how the hell can you play this game with teh large amount of Japanese? Is this even remotely playable for us Americanos?

For the most part, you should already get the gist of the story based on whether or not you've already watched the respective animes and memorizing the menus are easy. And if you're worried about missing out on the story, someone always inevitably posts a translation of the story online.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've finally made it to the final boss a 2nd time... this time I checked:

The "sane" choice: Final boss at Level 70.
The "masochistic" choice: Final boss at Level 99.

I'm going to attempt and try the choice I didn't choose last time. Wish me luck. >_<;

EDIT: 5 MINUTES LATER...
Oh screw that. He took out half my forces w/ his MAP. And most of them had full HP. Maybe on the 3rd run...

Bebpo

Banned
Does the final boss scale or something? Lvl.99 sounds crazy considernig my pilots are like...lvl.35 and almost no one has nekketsu/hot blood yet which is weird since by this point in most srw pretty much every boss killer has it and even some non-boss killers ^^;

Just finished my 3rd route through 33-36, glad to be done with triple splits. Getting towards the end...yay.

Shouta

mjemirzian said:
Preparing your no pp/upgrade run?

Not at the moment. I generally find no pp/upgrades more of a task than fun. I was thinking of doing a limited units run this time though. EV units + Brasta maybe or EV Units + 1-5 units of my choice. I was also considering EV Units + only Repair/Supply units as well, with upgrades.

Bebpo said:
Does the final boss scale or something? Lvl.99 sounds crazy considernig my pilots are like...lvl.35 and almost no one has nekketsu/hot blood yet which is weird since by this point in most srw pretty much every boss killer has it and even some non-boss killers ^^;

Just finished my 3rd route through 33-36, glad to be done with triple splits. Getting towards the end...yay.

Your levels will shoot up towards the last stretch and folks will get Nekketsu/Soul by then. You can choose the level of the final boss somewhat though depending on your answers to him.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:

My characters on average were maintaining a 1:1 average w/ the stage in terms of levels. In other words, by the 50th stage, most of my characters were level 49-51.

And I'm surprised you didn't notice.... but on Stage 23, the boss there was Level 70.

Ken

What's the best use of what I'm assuming is money in the game? Also, what's the purpose of SR points and what's a good skill to get for Setsuna?

Ken said:
What's the best use of what I'm assuming is money in the game? Also, what's the purpose of SR points and what's a good skill to get for Setsuna?

Upgrading your robots is pretty much the only use of money in this game.

SR points can be used to vary the difficulty of the game on the basis of how many you get.

Setsuna could use Dash and Predict.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:

Effective use of spending money is dependent on the mech and the pilot, in most cases. If a pilot/mech leans more towards heavy damage, but cant dodge worth a damn, then you may want to concentrate on HP, Defense, and Weapons. If a pilot/mech is great at dodging, you can concentrate mainly on Mobility, Targeting, and Weapons. In the end, it really is up to you how you want to spend the money though.

As for Setsuna, he already has Continuous Action. A good one for him would be Ignore Size (w/c doesnt really help in the beginning, but is very good to have later on). Some of us give him Morale Up On Dodge (I don't though).

As for the SR Points, despite what the wikis say, I'm pretty sure that some of the secrets are dependent on the SR Points. I have no idea if maintaining a higher difficulty nets you more XP, PP, and Credits from destroying an enemy, mainly because I'm always on Hard Difficulty anyway. SR Points in this game though don't seem to affect any storyline.

Bebpo

Banned
Ken said:

Ignore size skill since Gundams are only M and they'll have reduced damage against large enemies like big bosses or gunmen grunts/battleships. Dash. I don't remember if he has break 150 morale limit automatically, but that's always a good one for your best units since they'll have better stats at 170 morale. E save isn't bad if you're going to be throwing him out in front since he'll keep countering with seven sword at 40EN which will burn through it after a bit.

As for money, give your real robots enough dodge to not get hit with concentrate/shuuchuu, give your supers enough armor/hp to survive lots of hits, and give everyone enough accuracy to hit at least non-bosses without having to resort to SP commands for accuracy since that stuff kills your SP. Meanwhile keep upgrading your weapons for your favorites as you go along. I usually have them at weapon lvl.2-3 by a bit in and by the end of the game lvl.5-7.

Despite what others may say, I do not recommend maxing all stats first run for anyone. If you're planning on doing a 2nd run or beyond, go for that stuff then. In the first run while money is still a bit tight, it's better to upgrade 15 units to be 50-70% maxed out and all amazing than concentrate on 3-5 maxed to 100%.

hteng

Banned
ignore size works best on S units since they get the most benefit out of it.

i usually give those gundams attack again, move again and prediction / e-save since gundams have neither good armor nor good evasion (unless you are amuro).

e-save for setsuna since he always run out of EN within 2-3 turns for me, by then i can only use Trans-am once... so disappointed. Now, amuro kicks so much ass with b-save, UC gundam for the win!

anyone use dash ?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:

i usually give those gundams attack again, move again and prediction / e-save since gundams have neither good armor nor good evasion (unless you are amuro).

e-save for setsuna since he always run out of EN within 2-3 turns for me, by then i can only use Trans-am once... so disappointed. Now, amuro kicks so much ass with b-save, UC gundam for the win!

anyone use dash ?

The only ones that use Dash in my game are either Hayato for Getter-2 or the pilots that control the blue Aquarion configuration. Sounding like a broken record here, but I've found that Continuous Action, when used the right way, is a great way to cover large distances in one turn as opposed to using Dash.

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:

anyone use dash ?

I give everyone dash after continuous attack. Having a party that can move within a huge range and keep on attacking makes the maps go fast and the SR points easier I find.

I agree size ignore isn't essential for gundams, out of all the gundams in the game I only put it on Setsuna. But if you're planning on using him as one of your top units who takes out battleships and super robo bosses, then it's worth it or he'll be doing 4-5k damage instead of 9-10k.

TimeKillr

So quick Q here -

For units that have multiple pilots (Gurren Lagann, for example), right now I'm guessing that skills like continuous action are only useful on the main pilot rather than the sub-pilot... I'm pretty sure it won't stack, but can I give skills to any of the pilots?

Also do stats "stack" for multi-pilot units? If I boost Ranged Damage on a sub-pilot, will the unit do more damage? Or do they only apply to main pilots?

On another note, I just realized I'm dumb. I wasn't understanding why sub-orders didn't seem to do anything until I realized I had to use the bottom option to activate them - I was thinking you were putting pilots there and that at the end of the next chapter you'd get the bonus.. I've missed out on SOOOOOOOOOOO much money now, considering I'm at chapter 39...

xero273

was reading wiki and found out about sub orders. When does that menu because active, it's still not selectable for me. I'm on scenario 16.

hteng

Banned
TimeKillr said:
So quick Q here -

For units that have multiple pilots (Gurren Lagann, for example), right now I'm guessing that skills like continuous action are only useful on the main pilot rather than the sub-pilot... I'm pretty sure it won't stack, but can I give skills to any of the pilots?

Also do stats "stack" for multi-pilot units? If I boost Ranged Damage on a sub-pilot, will the unit do more damage? Or do they only apply to main pilots?

On another note, I just realized I'm dumb. I wasn't understanding why sub-orders didn't seem to do anything until I realized I had to use the bottom option to activate them - I was thinking you were putting pilots there and that at the end of the next chapter you'd get the bonus.. I've missed out on SOOOOOOOOOOO much money now, considering I'm at chapter 39...

give the sub pilots SP up! they are essentially seishin tanks for you to spam seishins.

well the getta pilots are pretty useful i guess give them some guards if you plan to wipe them out now and then (hayato is very useful for traversing long distances and he's an excellent counter attacker, benkei is the only guy that does awesome damage underwater). and stats don't stack, the robot only take the main pilot's stats into consideration.

i use Simon as main 100% of the time, so i give Rosio all the SP up he needs, he end up with 140 something SP.

you must use the sub orders as much as possible, you can even do them twice during an intermission if there's a route split.

was reading wiki and found out about sub orders. When does that menu because active, it's still not selectable for me. I'm on scenario 16.

can't remember but the game will tell you when it's available, i think it is when you first met all your Z1 pals.

Shouta

Subpilots are their own pilot and don't affect the the other except for their Spirit commands. So giving Rossiu skills will only affect him. If you never use Rossiu, then just giving him SP up to increase is SP is fine.

The lone exception is Aquarion Element System gives the main pilot the highest stats between the three of them so you can pump PP into a stat for one of the other pilots and Apollo will get them when the system kicks in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TimeKillr said:
So quick Q here -

You will only be able to give skill to any pilots that can actually pilot the mech, they'll be listed in the upgrade screen. So you wouldn't see the extra pilots for Zambot 3, Dancougar, Dancougar Nova, but you would see the extra pilots for Getter, Aquarion, and Gurren Lagann.

Giving Continuous Action to those alt pilots is up to you, and pretty much relies on whether or not you actually switch out pilots (do you only use Getter-1? do you switch between the pilots of GL?). Pilot skills/stats don't stack in a sense (the speedy Morale boost skills only apply to the one pilot, not all of them), but you can use the fact that there's multiple pilots to your advantage.

For example, for Getter, I give all three of them Continuous Action. Then for Ryouma(Getter-1), I give him EN Save, Will Limit Break, and Predict. I give Hayato(Getter-2), Predict, Dash, and Hit&Away, and Musashi(Getter-3), gets Predict, Guard, and EN Save.

So, I use Hayato to get close, Musashi to take the brunt of damage, and Ryouma for the big kills. Musashi is also good for doing awesome damage too, as long as the target isnt flying, this is why I have him EN Save also. Getter becomes extremely broken once you FUB the unit, because the bonus is that you can change forms after moving.

Bear in mind that normal Morale increases DO apply to all the pilots, so kills by other units give all the pilots +1, and kills by the mech itself give ALL the pilots for that mech +5.

xero273

Also, I'm pretty sure on the ps2 games for me to switch between modes like macross units transforming was square. I tried hitting square in this game but it doesn't do anything. Did they remove it?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
xero273 said:
Also, I'm pretty sure on the ps2 games for me to switch between modes like macross units transforming was square. I tried hitting square in this game but it doesn't do anything. Did they remove it?

For some reason... I don't recall that at all. I was always under the impression that changing forms is under the "TRANSFORM" command in the menu.

TimeKillr

Thanks for the answers guys.

I'm almost done with my first run, so when I start a 2nd one I'll be able to at least use those damn sub-orders :)

xero273

ah Just checked alpha 3 guide. It's not square. It's triangle. I'll try that when I get home to see if it works.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
xero273 said:
ah Just checked alpha 3 guide. It's not square. It's triangle. I'll try that when I get home to see if it works.

I just checked SRWZ2.1 itself. It actually IS possible to press a button to cause a transformation, but its not set that way by default. You have to go into the System menu to set the Quick Button (Square) to what you want.

Bebpo

Banned
Are you guys 100% sure sub-pilot skills don't stack? Because I'm pretty sure they do unless the skills says DOES NOT WORK WHEN SUB-PILOT.

For instance the skill that guards against status effects specifically says at the end "skill does not work when sub-pilot"

But most don't say that.

I've been building all my multi-pilot units with the assumption the skills are all stacking which though I haven't run specific tests, generally seems to be happening! Like if there are two pilots ala, Gurren Lagann who have 300PP each, I'll give one continuous attack and one dash + a morale builder. Then the GL unit will have great movement, two attacks per turn and build morale quickly. I've always seen units with extra pilots has having that as one of their advantages, that they get like 15 skill slots and 3x PP.

I should test with a unit that has one pilot with dash and another without and then at 120 morale simply switch between the two and see if your movement range increases by 1 spot.

Note, I'm just talking about skills. Obviously stat points or pilot terrains ratings only apply to the pilot attacking/being hit.

Ken

Where do I go to upgrade units with money? Only found the menu to upgrade pilot abilities with PP.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
Are you guys 100% sure sub-pilot skills don't stack? Because I'm pretty sure they do unless the skills says DOES NOT WORK WHEN SUB-PILOT.

For instance the skill that guards against status effects specifically says at the end "skill does not work when sub-pilot"

But most don't say that.

I've been building all my multi-pilot units with the assumption the skills are all stacking which though I haven't run specific tests, generally seems to be happening! Like if there are two pilots ala, Gurren Lagann who have 300PP each, I'll give one continuous attack and one dash + a morale builder. Then the GL unit will have great movement, two attacks per turn and build morale quickly. I've always seen units with extra pilots has having that as one of their advantages, that they get like 15 skill slots and 3x PP.

I should test with a unit that has one pilot with dash and another without and then at 120 morale simply switch between the two and see if your movement range increases by 1 spot.

Note, I'm just talking about skills. Obviously stat points or pilot terrains ratings only apply to the pilot attacking/being hit.

Just to clarify, when it means "does not work when sub-pilot" means: "If the pilot who has this skill isn't currently the main pilot, this skill won't activate"

Pilot skills will only affect the pilot its given to, it does not give the bonus to all the pilots (otherwise, I could the give same Morale+ to Hayato and Musashi, and watch Ryouma's Morale soar like crazy).

Also, any skill that has to actually "activate", like Continuous Action, only work once, PER MECH. Using the Getter example, if all the pilots had it, you cant defeat an opponent w/ one of them, switch to a different pilot, defeat another unit, then switch to the final pilot, etc.

On a related note, the Move Again seishin -or- Dancougar Nova's ACE Bonus (w/c casts Move Again automatically), do stack w/ Continuous Action, BWAHAHAHAHHA!

(And since lately I've always been wrong when I thought I was right, I'm going to check your theory about Dash w/ my Getter, give me a few minutes)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Annnd back. Here's the findings:

Dash ONLY applies to the pilot its on.
Base movements for Getter-1 is 6, Getter-2 is 8.
Hayato(Getter-2) was given Dash, increasing his Move by +1, making Getter-2 Movement 9. The other two pilot's Move did not increase.
As per the requirements of the skill, Morale was brought up to 130, only his Movement increased by another point, making his Move 10. Like before the other pilot's move did not increase.​

Morale+ boosts only affect the pilot its on.
Getter again. If you check the skills that they come with, Ryouma(Getter-1) by default comes w/ Morale+(Destroyed), and Musashi comes w/ Morale+(Damage).
Ignoring Musashi, after 1 Turn (and not having Getter either attack or recieve damage), after several enemies have been defeated, Ryouma's Morale was increasing much faster than the other pilots. If this skill really did affect all the pilots, all the pilots Morale would have increased equally at the same time.​

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
Thanks, good to know. Now I need to redo all my multi-pilot units :x

Oh its not that bad. The only reason why I know why pilots skills don't apply to all the pilots on a mech is because when they first introduced the custom pilot skill system to SRW game, I honestly thought the theory you described would have applied (for the Morale+ boosts).

You'd think that with Hikaru Midorikawa being such a massive SRW fanboy they'd have gone out of their way to make the Wing Gundam a little better. Right now it's kind of... not good.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
You'd think that with Hikaru Midorikawa being such a massive SRW fanboy they'd have gone out of their way to make the Wing Gundam a little better. Right now it's kind of... not good.

What's wrong w/ this Wing?

hteng

Banned
Pureauthor said:

you don't get anything new later on sadly, it's a pretty energy dependent machine as well. it doesn't perform well, heck even deathscythe gundam is more useful when sweeping grunts.

sidenote, if you have Heero finish off Zechs, he will laugh evil madly instead of "...." or "mission accomplish".

Shouta

Bebpo said:

Correct as Haryu points out later. Pilot skills only take affect if they're actually piloting the unit so giving the subpilots different skills only works if you intend on using them differently ala Getter (Hayato for moving, Ryoma for dealing damage, Musashi for taking it). The only skill that will have an affect as a subpilot is SP up which makes them a better Spirit bank.

And yeah, it's weird that the Wing units are not as powerful as the 00, they should be kind of so but they aren't. The lone reason I can think of is so that they plan on including Endless Waltz in Z2-2 so you get 2 upgrades for Wing and the EW versions would be on par with the 00 S2 units.

Still, Wing units are pretty useful, I used them my last game and they are a bit more usable as a team than the 00 units are. Also, Wing has a far more usable MAP attack than the GN Arms which is a plus.

HaRyu said:
What's wrong w/ this Wing?

No good P-attacks, mobile armour form is completely useless, too EN-thirsty and unlike, say, 00 of GSD mechs, no good way to get back EN quickly, lousy FUB, mediocre Ace bonus too.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Bebpo

Banned
Wing Gundam is the only z2 series lead that I don't even deploy. It's such a bad unit that I just assumed you'd get the upgrade in this game and so a pumped a bunch of stats in prep. Then I found out he doesn't and was sad :/

Shouta

Why would you need P-attacks with Wing? Slap Hit & Away on it and you'll be fine and Heero's Ace bonus is pretty sweet, more useful than say, Setsuna's (which is mostly garbage).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Why would you need P-attacks with Wing? Slap Hit & Away on it and you'll be fine and Heero's Ace bonus is pretty sweet, more useful than say, Setsuna's (which is mostly garbage).

Yeah, Heero has Hit & Away, Continuous Action and EN Save in my game. He's not as great as Amuro or Chirico, but he's a good unit frontline unit to use.

Bebpo

Banned
CCA BGM sounds fantastic in this. Dunno if it's just the headphones. Are the Z1 cast BGMs identical in this or are they new arranges?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
CCA BGM sounds fantastic in this. Dunno if it's just the headphones. Are the Z1 cast BGMs identical in this or are they new arranges?

They're not quite exactly the same, they all do sound better than the ones in Z1, however.

Top Bottom