• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Vorador

Banned
Wizpig said:
Yeah, i beat him at my third or fourth attempt at Normal, but what's REALLY TOUGH is an achievement for beating him in a certain way... i didn't unlock it :(
I just unlocked my first achievement now, "Special Mission 2".

I found that defending yourself until he finish his combo and then unleashing your own, finishing with a Arte, and then repeating the same strategy worked for me to get the achievement.

That, and retrying a few times. :lol

Btw, Gattuso whooped my ass two or three times until i got fed up and grinded a bit until level 16-17 or something around that. And then i beat him. :lol He's the noob-killer of Vesperia.

CAW

Tamanon said:
I'd say you're about 40% done. You've still got a long way to go in part 2 and then a whole third part.
Thank you.

And daycru: If you had to switch to easy for the first boss, then you're definitely going to want to switch to easy for the 2nd one.:lol

I've yet to change the difficulty level myself. Started on normal, and am still there. I refuse to change the settings. I've come up against a couple bosses that have given me troubles but I found that either getting a few levels (grinding), and/or changing up party members, helps out. Also, don't forget to look for 'special' ways to defeat the bosses. I kept forgetting about this myself and then I realized one boss who was rather tough
Belius
, became a lot easier when using the 'special' method
(lighting the candles)
. :D

There are also some LvL up addons via Xbox Live if you're really stuck or behind in levels, due to avoiding encounters, or whatever.

Frillen

Zeouterlimits said:
Just got picked up by
Judith
and am glad the pace is picking up. About an hour before all this happened (in the forest) I was getting pretty frustrated by the ..sameyness(?) of each dungeon. Hell each city seemed to have the same mantra each time:
1. Arrive at a city
2. Conveniently have to visit the Dungeon to get something for the city
3. Return to the city for plot development
Have to see how things go from here...

Welcome to RPGs.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wizpig said:
Fuuuu... couldn't do Secret Mission 4.
What the hell, everytime
Zagi is the boss
i can't do his missions :mad:

Keep trying you'll get it in time.

And wait till you get to Secret Mission 17 :lol .

So 13 years later this game finally came out in PAL territories. I'm not a huge fan of this series. Actually that's an understatement, I absolutely detest the first two games and the one I imported for the PS2 a few years ago. But there's not much else going at the moment (aside from DQ9 on DS, but that's probably still at least a week and a half away for me) so I'm giving the Tales series one more shot.

I'm usually the guy who thinks people are being a little hyperbolic when they say some main character in a JRPG looks like a girl, but seriously. I picked this up in JB with my girlfriend and we were both sure it was a chick.

Also on character design weirdness, why the fuck does the dog smoke a pipe?

Otherwise I'm not far in yet, maybe an hour. The battle system seems to be the crappy battle system of the old games that I really didn't like, but with something that makes it more palatable. Still trying to figure out what that is. Something that makes it feel a little less pointlessly mashy.

Wizpig

Repede just has a pipe, he doesn't smoke it:D [that's what the instruction book says:lol ]

And well, Yuri always seemed pretty male to me... the only thing i don't like about the characters is... pink hair... Estelle... :(

:'(

arhra

Vorador said:
Btw, Gattuso whooped my ass two or three times until i got fed up and grinded a bit until level 16-17 or something around that. And then i beat him. :lol He's the noob-killer of Vesperia.
Gattuso was totally kicking my ass the last time i played. Then i finally beat him somehow, got to the next town, then got seperated from the rest of the party and jumped by three guys while having barely any health/mana. Guess when i last saved? BEFORE Gattuso :mad:

Also, Rita is bugging me. I just finished P3:FES, and she has the same voice actor as Yukari, and sounds exactly the same (even down to the slightly sarcastic bitchiness).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Wizpig said:
Repede just has a pipe, he doesn't smoke it:D [that's what the instruction book says:lol ]

And well, Yuri always seemed pretty male to me... the only thing i don't like about the characters is... pink hair... Estelle... :(

:'(

Come on, the pink hair suits her so well :D But she has nothing on Rita though!

On another note, i think i am about to reach the end, still doing some side quests and all, probably the best RPG this gen for me.

Firestorm

chicken_ramen said:
So 13 years later this game finally came out in PAL territories. I'm not a huge fan of this series. Actually that's an understatement, I absolutely detest the first two games and the one I imported for the PS2 a few years ago. But there's not much else going at the moment (aside from DQ9 on DS, but that's probably still at least a week and a half away for me) so I'm giving the Tales series one more shot.

I'm usually the guy who thinks people are being a little hyperbolic when they say some main character in a JRPG looks like a girl, but seriously. I picked this up in JB with my girlfriend and we were both sure it was a chick.

Also on character design weirdness, why the fuck does the dog smoke a pipe?

Otherwise I'm not far in yet, maybe an hour. The battle system seems to be the crappy battle system of the old games that I really didn't like, but with something that makes it more palatable. Still trying to figure out what that is. Something that makes it feel a little less pointlessly mashy.
Repede has a pipe because he's a badass.
If you want to not button match, try out Judith although she's complicated as fuck. I don't think you'll like this game if you hated the battle system in Abyss and Symphonia though.
Ion (Abyss) tricked me into thinking he was a woman more than Yuri. Probably because I'd figured out Yuri wasn't before I played the game and because Yuri doesn't sound like a woman unlike Ion.

Tonza

Ok how do I defeat
Belius
?

I think my levels are around 34 or so. I've only died twice but the cutscenes and fights before the boss fight are not fun to go through before trying the boss again.

When she gets her duplicate I die in seconds... :\

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
chicken_ramen said:

They even poke fun at this, which I love. One of the first people you can talk to in the game mistakes Yuri for a girl. :lol

Firestorm

Tonza said:
Ok how do I defeat
Belius
?

I think my levels are around 34 or so. I've only died twice but the cutscenes and fights before the boss fight are not fun to go through before trying the boss again.

When she gets her duplicate I die in seconds... :\
Light the candles. I made Rita cast a fireball on one and free-ran with Yuri to the other three to use Destruction Field. Also remember to hold X+A during the dialog sequences before it.

Wizpig

Tips, tips, i need TIPS for
that password in the town destroyed by an earthquake
I got 3 hints, what should i think at?

I don't want the answer :p but i feel like an idiot and would like some tips...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
well ...

what's in the sky, that gives off light, and has vaguely a sphere like shape ?

easy enough, innit ?
it's not "star"

Wizpig said:
Tips, tips, i need TIPS for
that password in the town destroyed by an earthquake
I got 3 hints, what should i think at?

I don't want the answer :p but i feel like an idiot and would like some tips...

You seriously need hints for what
"Light", "Sphere" and "Sky"
could mean? Itsunbelievable.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The first time I tried to solve that puzzle I typed in "Moon" >.<.

Wizpig

Pankaks said:
The first time I tried to solve that puzzle I typed in "Moon" >.<.
Animation4.gif
Hah, noob!

Same here

Wizpig

nice photos, huh? yeah, anyway old easter egg incoming in 3...2...1...

A Pirate's hat, huh...
Wait a minute...

There's a name... Pa... Pa... Patty Fleur?
Namco, you ****ing trolls...

arhra said:
Also, Rita is bugging me. I just finished P3:FES, and she has the same voice actor as Yukari, and sounds exactly the same (even down to the slightly sarcastic bitchiness).
Michelle Ruff's got plenty of range, but in this particular instance you're exactly right. They do sound virtually identical. There was a year separation between the release of the original Persona 3 and Tales of Vesperia, but playing them one right after the other makes it all too apparent.

MechaX

Wizpig said:
There's a name... Pa... Pa... Patty Fleur?
Namco, you ****ing trolls...

Oh, a guy that frequents the GameFAQs boards and usually writes FAQs for jRPG imports discovered that not only is Patty's unfinished code in the 360 version (There's even her dummy slot for the extra character + Flynn in the code), but all of Flynn's "unique" PS3 artes and skills are actually on the 360 disc, but locked.

Wizpig

MechaX said:
Oh, a guy that frequents the GameFAQs boards and usually writes FAQs for jRPG imports discovered that not only is Patty's unfinished code in the 360 version (There's even her dummy slot for the extra character + Flynn in the code), but all of Flynn's "unique" PS3 artes and skills are actually on the 360 disc, but locked.
Jesus, one could start to think they will release the "unique" Ps3 content on the 360 as DLC, but i think it really would be an enormous download, with all those new dungeons and skits and voices etc.

It's a really interesting news anyway.

Firestorm

Wizpig said:
Jesus, one could start to think they will release the "unique" Ps3 content on the 360 as DLC, but i think it really would be an enormous download, with all those new dungeons and skits and voices etc.

It's a really interesting news anyway.
Large as in 108 KB right? :(

Wizpig

Firestorm said:
Large as in 108 KB right? :(
Haha :D
I hope they don't have the DLC key ready, from what i get there is data of Patty and Flynn, but not the complete thing... and they would have to add the new Ps3 intro, all new voiced skits... [well, they would probably add them without voices like in Symphonia]

You know, all this time i was so frustrated for the lack of Ps3 content, but now, i don't think i want to buy it as DLC... i'd rather buy a Ps3 and Vesperia Ps3...

Firestorm

-PXG- said:
I have it on 360, but any word on when it ToV is being released on the PS3 in the US?
I usually update the OP with new release dates as soon as I see them. None for PS3 outside Japan.

intheinbetween said:
well i finally found a boss harder than a rock, any tips for beating
Belius
?
Light the candles. Use Rita to cast Fireball on one while free running to the others as Yuri to use Destruction Field.

Wizpig

I just found out ["15 hours in" spoiler, but i guess some people will reach this at 9-10 hours or less]
who the dragon rider really is
Amazing RPG, my favourite for the 360 and for this gen, that wait was damn worth it.
Damn, what an awesome game, i need to find a good Vesperia avatar for GAF.

I just hate two things about the game and one of them is a localization fault:

- Voices when the characters are far away or turned -- they sound like they're speaking trough a phone or something, **** this, does this annoy you guys aswell?
- Not all epic scenes have voices, i've just seen this cutscene where
Flynn
is on a "horse"
in order to stop the fight between the army and the guilds, and it wasn't voiced... then like 2 minutes later when that idiot Barbos started talking, the whole scene had voices... grr...

Oh yeah, i also kinda dislike that "comic scenes" music that is also in the demo... it's like very, very low sometimes... but it's still there, what an annoying music.

MechaX

Shadow780 said:
Me too, still haven't open it yet. I'll hold out until there's a confirmation of yes or no.

Given how Namco Bandai is when it comes to releasing Tales games, there's really not going to be a "no" conformation, as opposed to months and years going down the line with no real response.

I'd personally suggest to just play what you have now and double dip if the PS3 version comes out of Japan, especially since you're looking at anywhere near 6 months to over a year of a wait at minimum, and that's even after the Fall release date for this game (Vesperia 360 came out so soon only because they were working on the US and JPN versions simultaneously for localization).

Shadow780

MechaX said:
Given how Namco Bandai is when it comes to releasing Tales games, there's really not going to be a "no" conformation, as opposed to months and years going down the line with no real response.

I'd personally suggest to just play what you have now and double dip if the PS3 version comes out of Japan, especially since you're looking at anywhere near 6 months to over a year of a wait at minimum, and that's even after the Fall release date for this game (Vesperia 360 came out so soon only because they were working on the US and JPN versions simultaneously for localization).

I don't mind waiting longer since I've been waiting this whole time already. :lol

Personally I like to play the version that contains most contents so I don't miss out anything.

Wizpig

Shadow780 said:
I don't mind waiting longer since I've been waiting this whole time already. :lol

Personally I like to play the version that contains most contents so I don't miss out anything.
B...but you bought the 360 version... that doesn't make a lot of sense. :(

adamsapple

Shadow780 said:

you're pretty weird you know that ?

if it's a game you've been waiting for that long, and now you've got it in your hands, why not play it now ? and then replay it again if there is substantial new content in the other version ?

or do what i'll do and watch the extra cutscenes on youtube eventually >_>

Shadow780

chandoog said:
you're pretty weird you know that ?

if it's a game you've been waiting for that long, and now you've got it in your hands, why not play it now ? and then replay it again if there is substantial new content in the other version ?

or do what i'll do and watch the extra cutscenes on youtube eventually >_>

I guess I am?:lol

If I were to invest on an time consuming game, I want to get the full experience by playing the version that contains most content.

I don't like replaying a RPG so I almost always wait to see if there's a director's cut/port that's coming out later with added stuff. There're a few games I can't wait to play as soon as it's released, though.

Shadow780 said:
I guess I am?:lol

If I were to invest on an time consuming game, I want to get the full experience by playing the version that contains most content.

I don't like replaying a RPG so I almost always wait to see if there's a director's cut/port that's coming out later with added stuff. There're a few games I can't wait to play as soon as it's released, though.

Hey that's cool when you put it that way that makes sense. You were making people think you were nuts or something.

Man...I want a US confirm on the PS3 version bad

adamsapple

i think i'm getting pretty close to the endgame, so i have a few questions ..

1/ is there any special requirement/dungeon/item that might alter things in the ending or any alternate ending at all ?

2/ what things carry over to the next-game ?

3/ when flying around on baul i keep running into these ruin like area's which look like a mass of rocks on the world map, they all seem to be obstructed by large rocks on the entrance, how do i enter those ?

also, any important misable thing that i should be aware of ...

i'm currently at
the bit where Alexie (voiced by albert wesker lol) just died, and i met up with everyone else and am flying around doing brave vesperia missions.

Wizpig

Tamanon said:
Status screen, it'll be listed as accessories.
Thanks.

So, uh, i think we discussed this months ago, when the game wasn't out here yet, but... the composer is Motio Sakuraba, right?
The man did like... tons of soundtracks in these years, is that why the music in Vesperia is great but not Symphonia-great?

Or was the music of Symphonia more the work of Shinji Tamura?

I see Sakuraba also made the soundtrack for the two Golden Sun games... those are great, but i feel like the man's style really changed with Vesperia [and probably other new games i didn't play, like Star Ocean or whatever].

Tamanon

Banned
chandoog said:
i think i'm getting pretty close to the endgame, so i have a few questions ..

1/ is there any special requirement/dungeon/item that might alter things in the ending or any alternate ending at all ?

2/ what things carry over to the next-game ?

3/ when flying around on baul i keep running into these ruin like area's which look like a mass of rocks on the world map, they all seem to be obstructed by large rocks on the entrance, how do i enter those ?

also, any important misable thing that i should be aware of ...

i'm currently at
the bit where Alexie (voiced by albert wesker lol) just died, and i met up with everyone else and am flying around doing brave vesperia missions.

Hmm, I think you actually just started part 3, got a whiles to go.

As far as missables go, I like http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10143410717.html as a sidequest guide.

New Game+ is determined by your grade, you get to pick different things to carry over or change about the next playthrough.

Datschge

@wizpig: Sakuraba's focus while composing changed during the move from sequenced (think MIDI) to streamed (prerecorded) music. (Sequenced music calls more for catchy melodies, while streamed music rewards dynamic mixing and makes it easier to include improvisations.) This transition happened later in the Tales series as the developer opted to keep using sequenced music until during the development of TotA, and ToV is the first Tales game where Sakuraba made recording of his real analog synths according to the OST's liner notes (he did that all the time already for his other games with streamed music). If you prefer his sequenced style you may like ToH's OST. (As for Shinji Tamura he's always involved alongside him, TotT being the only exception.)

Top Bottom