• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Chemo

Every time I see this thread bumped, I get hopeful that a North American announcement of the PS3 version has happened, and I am always disappointed. :/

Neil

^ It's just been released in EU now, so the thread should be pretty active again...

Well, my copy should be delivered tomorrow :) Very excited to try it out!

Wizpig

Zzoram said:
Tell that to Japan. They keep doing this kind of stuff, even though it means it's impossible to get everything without reading a guide the whole time you play the game.
I know i already said this but i don't want to ruin "my" Vesperia by playing it all the time with Firefox > GAF+GameFAQs open.

Fuck these game design choices, it's like that final weapon in FF 12 or something.

:'(

BitchTits

My copy has been dispatched, I'm kinda itching to play it I haven't played a current gen console RPG in quite a while, and this looks gorgeous.

Tamanon

Banned
Picked up a new 360 since my last one was bricked. Playing Vesperia again, first game I rebought. Such a fun battle system and the voice acting is just outstanding.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just got mine. No stores had it here in Switzerland, so i had to drive to France to buy it since i knew the got them yesterday, good thing its only 30minutes away. :lol

But FUCK YEAH finally can play it.

Neil

INSTALLING TO HARD DRIVE RIGHT NOW :D
How did we ever play games without this feature?

EDIT: I downloaded those 4 keys... But none of them are working? Just started a game and I don't have any of those skills or items...
OK. Found them. have to scroll through to Xbox Live on the items, and 'use' the sets.

BluWacky

The_Inquisitor said:
Quick question. If I import an english copy from Europe will it work on my US 60GB PS3?

Bit confused - only the Xbox360 version is out in Europe, so no, it wouldn't.

IF the PS3 version comes out here, then yes it would work on a US PS3 as PS3 games are region free. But that's only if it did.

BluWacky said:
Bit confused - only the Xbox360 version is out in Europe, so no, it wouldn't.

IF the PS3 version comes out here, then yes it would work on a US PS3 as PS3 games are region free. But that's only if it did.

Ah oh I confused myself. Thank you though!

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
give em a break on the back cover... they had a tight deadline.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Darkman M said:
Yeah so did us limited edition owners ever get the bonus that was suppose to come? :lol

They got a Tales OST I believe.

Wizpig

Deacan said:
I'll put those in download even if i don't have the game, is that ok?
Why are those called "Trial"? do you have to pay after a while?
Those skills seem pretty basic to me... "Defend"...

edit. Wow, just noticed those idiots didn't put the Demo link in the Tales of Vesperia section, but in the Japanese section -- even if it IS in the European marketplace.

Sure, who isn't going to check "テイルズ オブ ヴェスペリア" in order to download the demo?
Now the game will sell a lot more!

ksamedi

Game is very fun so far. from the 3 hours I've been playing I have the impression that this is the best JRPG that has come out for the 360. Story is ok so far too.

Firestorm

Wizpig said:
I'll put those in download even if i don't have the game, is that ok?
Why are those called "Trial"? do you have to pay after a while?
Those skills seem pretty basic to me... "Defend"...

edit. Wow, just noticed those idiots didn't put the Demo link in the Tales of Vesperia section, but in the Japanese section -- even if it IS in the European marketplace.

Sure, who isn't going to check "テイルズ オブ ヴェスペリア" in order to download the demo?
Now the game will sell a lot more!
The demo would probably turn people off so it's okay.

The gel sets are just free gifts. I didn't use them. They're trials because Namco also sells item sets for real space bucks. Not worth it. Everything can be gotten in game.

Tamanon

Banned
ksamedi said:
Game is very fun so far. from the 3 hours I've been playing I have the impression that this is the best JRPG that has come out for the 360. Story is ok so far too.

The story gets better, especially as it takes certain turns, once you find out that Yuri's not a cliche JRPG hero. Definitely one of the best characters in a long while.

Eteric Rice

Boss in Ehmead Hills is making me FUCKING RAAAGE.

WHAT DO I DO TO KILL THIS FUCKER GAF?

I must be missing something with the battle system or some shit. This guy is OP.

Tamanon

Banned
Gotta fight him near the
flowers. They stun him and also give you the secret mission
He's a bitch though, going to burn some items. Just gotta try and keep him away from Rita and Estelle. Spread the damage out.

A lot of folks just switch the difficulty to easy for that fight and then switch it back.:lol

Eteric Rice

Tamanon said:
Gotta fight him near the
flowers. They stun him and also give you the secret mission
He's a bitch though, going to burn some items. Just gotta try and keep him away from Rita and Estelle. Spread the damage out.

A lot of folks just switch the difficulty to easy for that fight and then switch it back.:lol

You can switch the difficulty? How do you do this?

Because right now this boss is from SATAN.

From my earlier post, buried about page 30:

Do not gather up. That thing is very fast pivoting, and can hit 3 people in the blink of an eye with swings, then do a multi-hit; something you can't deal with at the time since you dont have a group heal. If this means you run like a bitch with Estelle or Rita and do jack shit except throw items for half the time, so be it.

Tamanon

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
You can switch the difficulty? How do you do this?

Because right now this boss is from SATAN.

Go to settings, you can switch between easy, normal and hard at will. You just get no grade from easy fights though so it's a last resort type thing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Eteric Rice said:
Boss in Ehmead Hills is making me FUCKING RAAAGE.

WHAT DO I DO TO KILL THIS FUCKER GAF?

I must be missing something with the battle system or some shit. This guy is OP.

:lol The infamous Gattuso.

My first time around I had to lower the difficulty to easy on this guy.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Gatts is actually not that bad. I never knew you could map your partys individual artes to the right analog stick until this fight. The fight should be OK with a couple of heals mapped.

BitchTits

Just started playing it today, and can't believe I never bothered to check if there was a Japanese language option, I guess I just presumed we're at the point now where they include them as standard. I was wrong. D:

It still looks great, but the lack of Japanese VA has seriously dampened my enthusiasm, I hate these American VA they use for RPGs.

Firestorm

BitchTits said:
Just started playing it today, and can't believe I never bothered to check if there was a Japanese language option, I guess I just presumed we're at the point now where they include them as standard. I was wrong. D:

It still looks great, but the lack of Japanese VA has seriously dampened my enthusiasm, I hate these American VA they use for RPGs.
Why? The VA in this game is good.

Karol is still annoying but I like the VA.

Just beat this game...longer than I anticipated. 43 hours logged on my end save. Such a refreshing experience...my first finished JRPG this gen.

Such a beautiful game and very underrated. I would not be surprised if FFXIII ended up being inferior all around.

Hopefully we get another entry from this series on the HD consoles.

Pancakes

Eteric Rice said:
Another entry on anything by this team would be good.

Which team is making Graces?

Team Destiny, I think?

Eteric Rice said:
I see. I never played Destiny.

Hopefully it turns out good. Was Destiny good?
Team Destiny is the team responsible for Destiny 2, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Hearts. The original Destiny was made before the Tales staff was split up.

As for whether they are good or not, the games themselves are generally what you expect from the Tales series (with some differences, such as the fact that they have all been 2D before Graces), but in general their games have tend to have faster, flashier gameplay than any of the other games in the series. Their difficulty are also a bit higher.

Rpgmonkey

Kouli's been going through the game by doing some save data edits and such, and has found quite a bit of stuff.

He found a pretty large amount of cut skills intended for Flynn and other characters (apparently all the unused skills have English text there as well), Flynn and Repede can be the on screen character and fire the sorcerer's ring, there's a Holy Bottle Ver. 2, etc.

You can read more here if you want, it was fairly interesting stuff.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945075&topic=50171312
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945075&topic=50214165

And he made some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmULsKXGRRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hus6ga5apNI

Wonder if there's going to be "DLC" or something sometime after the PS3 version now.

darkhunger said:
Team Destiny is the team responsible for Destiny 2, Rebirth, Destiny Remake, and Hearts.

Just the first three.

But I guess it depends on how much you count their involvement in Hearts. I always felt it was a separate group (would be interesting if they were the "handheld Tales team", dedicated to making games for the DS and PSP).

Tamanon

Banned
For the record, the new costumes for Yuri and Estelle in the PS3 game look awful on them.

Yuri has Asch's costume from TotA and Estelle has Tear's costume

The costumes are normally alright, but just look so weird with their faces.

-edit-

Dammit, I was trying to rack my brain for
Tear's
name and transposed the healing character from Symphonia!

Tamanon said:
For the record, the new costumes for Yuri and Collette in the PS3 game look awful on them.

Yuri has Asch's costume from TotA and Collette has Tear's costume

The costumes are normally alright, but just look so weird with their faces.

By Collette I assume you mean Estelle?

Or is my sarcasm meter broken? ;P

Diablos

Geez, how much is changing? I like Vesperia. When I want to play another game, and I will (someday), I'll now have to consider dropping another $60 for it if the changes are significant. Then again I could pick it up used or wait until a price drop.

Firestorm

108kb unlock key confirmed

Meh, at this point I wouldn't even mind that. I'd buy it and do a second playthrough. Better than spending another $69.99+12% tax.

Vorador

Banned
Received my copy yesterday. Just played around a little until the first save, for now the VA doesn't bother me (especially after playing SO4 :lol ). I'm itching to give it another go after work today :) but i have work at home too :( damn.

Top Bottom