• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I don't sound elitist but a huge factor in Brexit has been that whole swathes of folk have skipped through the education system ill prepared for the modern world. On one level this manifests itself in the media playing surrogate teacher, but on a more fundamental level it has created an 'underclass' that resents the success of better skilled foreigners who are relative newbies to the country. If people were generally happy with their lives, their opportunities, their skills, this wouldn't have happened. Though not exclusively so, I think this was in large part a failure of successive generations of domestic policy, not the EU. People now want to ignore the flat open world before them and instead compete on a contrived local playing field.

Yeah, I completely agree, and I know what you mean about feeling elitist. It's annoying to have to worry about that. My brother's girlfriend lives in a council flat, has a five year old and a one year old. She got pregnant as soon as she finished her GCSEs and has never worked a single job since. She lived on benefits at home with her first kid, and as soon as the second kid started school and my brother asked her to find a job now that she had free time in the day, she suddenly ended up pregnant again. Hmmm.

Naturally, she voted Leave, because she's sick of all these immigrants coming to our country and living on benefits. I've always hated her, and this result has killed her relationship with my brother. He's planning on leaving her this year because he's sick of being the only one trying to make a living and having to spend every penny on bills and his two kids while his partner literally sits around on Facebook all day. Blaming immigrants is her scapegoat mechanism.

Zaph

If in some magical scenario we're about to avoid leaving the EU, our reputation is ruined anyway. They'll have no confidence that we will try again in the near future.

Yup, best case scenario if we manage to stay in is a generation-long stint on the naughty table. No more trying to resist "ever closer union" legislation, no more taking advantage of our unique EU membership, and no more holding our own on the whole-stage as everyone will know our influence has been very publicly knee-capped.

'The person with the most thought-through plan, as evidence by the past 48 hours, is, astonishingly, Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister of Scotland.'

nail meet head

It's actually astonishing, both the government and the opposition have gone into hiding and the only person trying to do anything is the First Minister. It'd be funny if it was so infuriating and spineless.

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I suppose I should have been more specific.

Was there anything preventing the UK from raising minimum wage to offset the potential downward pressure caused by free movement?
No there isn't anything to stop the government to raising the minimum wage but considering that 60% of Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants claimed self-employment status I'm not sure a rise in the minimum wage rate would ease any downward pressure.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Quite. The internet plus some basic research skills plus critical thinking plus bullshit detector plus some knowledge of UK and EU structures plus maths and basic economics.

How common is that again?

It's no good complaining about the electorate, the electorate is what it is. It is the politician's job to reach them, which Leave did brilliantly and Remain didn't.

Can corroborate. My dad has a fanatical interest in the internet and uses it almost exclusively to research UFOs and 911 conspiracy theories. Access to the internet is not an automatic access to the truth.

Maledict

It's not up to Germany to decide. If on Monday the UK economy starts tanking dramatically Cameron will be on the first flight to Brussels with a Tory Whip up his arse to formally invoke it, regardless of how reluctant he might personally be is to do the deed himself.

Sure once it's underway there's every opportunity for it to get drawn out in terms of process, but establishing the roadmap of transition is going to happen sooner rather than later, otherwise not only is the UK economy likely to flatline through investor uncertainty but the next election will be a bloodbath for any politician who fails to demand the referendum be acted upon.

This conceit that somehow the leave camp are all going to be 'I made a huge mistake' and eat humble pie is a pipedream spun by a media still reeling from Friday's results, citing a few hangovers as a tidal wave of regret. If anything procrastination by either the government or the EU to start the process will simply encourage many of these people to double down in the face of what they would see as EU tyranny and a failure of democracy.

Um, no?

No-one can force Cameron to do anything now. The Brexiters have precisely 0 power over him. That went with the resignation speech. All they can do is spee dup the process - which the brexiters don't want either, because they know that means they will have to invoke article 50.

Cameron *wants* the economy to go south. He wants things to get so bad people start panicking. It's the way out of the horrific mess he's created. I don't think that's a pipedream - I think it's unlikely, but I think day by day right now people are seeing the issues and changing their mind. The flat out lies from the lev campaign over spending and immigration are being exposed constantly - I thought it would take much longer for the wheels to come off that particular bus.

Morat

Banned
Yup, best case scenario if we manage to stay in is a generation-long stint on the naughty table. No more trying to resist "ever closer union" legislation, no more taking advantage of our unique EU membership, and no more holding our own on the whole-stage as everyone will know our influence has been very publicly knee-capped.

The UK as a proper member of the EU without all the idiot posturing and sense of superiority would be something I would love to see. Seems pretty unlikely at this point, however.

Pandy

If there is a GE and the referendum result is on the table then I could see Tory and Labour MPs going independent for the election if they oppose the party line. UKIP might pick up votes, perhaps we could even have a hung parliament with Boris as PM and Farage as deputy. If Scotland goes independent with the increased majority they might even be able to hang onto power in a second GE.

Understatement of the year. If UKIP are the only party on a pro-Leave ticket they will be hard to keep out of power.

If in some magical scenario we're about to avoid leaving the EU, our reputation is ruined anyway. They'll have no confidence that we will try again in the near future.

If, by any chance, you get to stay in the EU, I'm afraid you will face conflicts because many people wanted to leave but they finally didn't, so this might looks hyperbollic, but that could be a really tough problem.

Farage is such an obvious fascist cunt, he's got no chance. Ironically the only political position he was ever likely to get was that of an MEP, because most people simply don't give a shit about those positions enough to vote!

Risking Godwins Law ;) All I'm gonna say is Hitler got elected in 1933...

Maledict

Understatement of the year. If UKIP are the only party on a pro-Leave ticket they will be hard to keep out of power.

UKIP have been the only party on a pro-Leave ticket for over a decade. It's got them one MP so far.

If a general is held, and the economy has gone south, and Boris Johnson ends up campaigning on a platform which doesn't involve article 50, I don't think we'll suddenly see 200+ UKIP MPs.

PKrockin

It just occurred to me that we're talking about the same country that not long ago banned Michael Savage for his xenophobic rhetoric being a threat to public safety. What happened?

oti

Banned
Can corroborate. My dad has a fanatical interest in the internet and uses it almost exclusively to research UFOs and 911 conspiracy theories. Access to the internet is not an automatic access to the truth.

image.php

TheFatOne

Quite. The internet plus some basic research skills plus critical thinking plus bullshit detector plus some knowledge of UK and EU structures plus maths and basic economics.

How common is that again?

It's no good complaining about the electorate, the electorate is what it is. It is the politician's job to reach them, which Leave did brilliantly and Remain didn't.

This is just bullshit. The vast majority of politicians only do things for their own self interests. It has been this way since the beginning of democracy. It's up to the electorate to decide what is and isn't true. Thinking this way absolves the electorate from any responsibility for their actions. It wasn't my fault you see it was the politicians fault for lying, it was their fault for not getting all their facts out, it was their fault for not having convincing enough arguments, and it was their fault for this or that. Politicians lie. It's what they do best. It's up to the people to stay informed, and make informed decisions because politicians generally don't have their best interest at heart. At the end of the day the people only have themselves to blame for this situation.

PJV3

If, by any chance, you get to stay in the EU, I'm afraid you will face conflicts because many people wanted to leave but they finally didn't, so this might looks hyperbollic, but that could be a really tough problem.

The government needs to offer enough to make it manageable. It will have to if they want a functioning country.

liquidtmd

Banned
One things that hurts most through all this discussion - as being part of the 48% Remainers that are being met from people all round the world with 'Oh Well, too bad fuck all the UK, self important pricks'

As a remainer I will remember this kind of compassion when other nations are in need of some :(

Carl2291

Farage is such an obvious fascist cunt, he's got no chance. Ironically the only political position he was ever likely to get was that of an MEP, because most people simply don't give a shit about those positions enough to vote!
He's a fascist cunt who leads a party that claimed close to 4 Million votes in the last GE and has single handedly forced the issue of this referendum. He's forever in the news, for better or for worse, and following the results of this referendum his party has never been in a stronger position.

If a GE is called when the Tories choose a leader, you can bet your bollocks that UKIP and Farage will be extremely well. Labour and the Tories are fractured, Lib Dems are dead in the water and the Greens are a joke.

While UKIP will never win, they'll be a force in British politics if the major parties don't stop fucking up every step of the way.

Saucy_XL

Banned
One things that hurts most through all this discussion - as being part of the 48% Remainers that are being met from people all round the world with 'Oh Well, too bad fuck all the UK, self important pricks'

As a remainer I will remember this kind of compassion when other nations are in need of some :(

Welcome to being an American on gaf

MrHoot

Someone in another place posted something like this and I don't know how to adequattely respond

The way the EU is going it will only consist of Germany in 5 years time lol. It seems going off the people's views that France & Denmark want a referendum to vote as soon as possible. It's only there Governments politicians who want to stay in lol. It's only a matter of time before the people demand there referendum right to vote. And as for Trade and business markets the UK now has more Traders and businesses to make their deals with than the EU single market own lol meaning more wealth than they could ever make by being stuck in an already failed EU. The UK lose out on 4.1 billion a year by not trading in a single market, the EU lose out on 45.6 billion by losing the UK. The UK can now make an estimated 128.4 billion through open global markets, where as the EU have now got to find the 45.6 billion from somewhere that they have lost, because they have absolutely no control over their borders. You can thank the German Chancellor Merkel for that lol.

He sure does like to lol a lot

Empty

it's a sad day for our standing in the world but this is quite common

remember all the grief americans got around the globe when they re-elected george w bush

by a 51%-48% margin....

Pandy

UKIP have been the only party on a pro-Leave ticket for over a decade. It's got them one MP so far.

If a general is held, and the economy has gone south, and Boris Johnson ends up campaigning on a platform which doesn't involve article 50, I don't think we'll suddenly see 200+ UKIP MPs.

The Conservatives stood at the last general on a ticket of providing a referendum on membership of the EU. Which they have now done.
If you seriously think those people who are still happy with their Leave vote are going to vote Conservative again when they are campaigning to ignore the referendum then you are sorely mistaken. The Remain vote is going to be split three or more ways.

The only question is, what percentage of Leave voters still support Leave.

oti

Banned

I'm Greek. In Germany. Imagine my life during the whole Grexit chaos.

heidern

I assume the Tories will run on a pro-leave ticket. If there's any hint of them them regressing on the referendum in an election then they'll suffer like the Lib Dems did over tuition fees. However if they are pro-leave then that makes UKIP a bit redundant so the Tories could win votes back from them.

Perhaps we could have a new party with Pro-Eu Tories and New Labour to go in between Boris and Corbyn.

Davilmar

Let's say that the United Kingdom would be able to stay in the EU. What likely conditions would France and Germany impose to allow the Brits to stay? Would we likely see them adopting the Euro as a condition?

Rich!

Let's say that the United Kingdom would be able to stay in the EU. What likely conditions would France and Germany impose to allow the Brits to stay? Would we likely see them adopting the Euro as a condition?

Not happening. Out is out, they say.

To go back on it now would be insane.

Kabouter

As long as Britain hasn't triggered art. 50, none.
I can't imagine it won't exit though.

That was a very interesting and disconcerting read. Thanks for posting, it's definitely got me thinking and is changing my mind a bit on some stuff.

If they stay, they stay on the same conditions as now and nothing changes. If they leave and then want to rejoin, they would likely lose the special status they have now when it comes to Schengen, Euro and rebate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

People who take that attitude are idiots. It boils down to a large number of people delivering a vote of no-confidence in an institution that is far, far, from being above criticism, it's not like we've declared war on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom