• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

bannerfinaali9qkp.gif

Formula 1 is a world sport that combines drivers and teams from all over. Unfortunately for many fans in the US, the F1 spectacle has held off from visiting the states since the 2007 race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This time, however, fans from all over are looking forward to the inaugural Formula 1 race at the Circuit of the Americas, located just outside of Austin, TX. This race comes just in time too, since we already have very interesting developments for the 2013 grid, and we also have completely new engine regulations for 2014.

The first OT with tons of information can be found here. After this weekend, we will continue posting in OT2.

For newcomers who want to see what all the fuss is about or for fans who always want more F1:

General Overview of Formula 1
Launching an F1 Car Properly
F1 Aerodynamics
F1 Pitstops
Setting up an F1 Car
The KERS System
Driving an F1 Car
Seating Position
Brakes
Gearboxes
The Steering Wheel

SPEED Broadcast Schedule (US Central/local time):

10/16

9:00AM Formula One Practice - Grand Prix of the United States
10:30AM The All-American Victory - Dan Gurney Wins the Belgian GP
11:00AM Mobil 1 The Grid - USGP Special
12:30PM Building the Circuit of the Americas - F1’s Return to the US
1:00PM Formula One Practice - Grand Prix of the United States

10/17

8:30AM Mobil 1 The Grid - USGP Special
12:00PM Formula One Qualifying - Grand Prix of the United States

10/18

12:30PM Formula One Racing - Grand Prix of the United States

BBC Broadcast Schedule (GMT):

10/17

21:00 BBC Two - Qualifying Highlights

10/18

22:25 BBC One - Race Highlights

Sky Broadcast Schedule Start Times (GMT):

10/16

15:00 Practice 1
19:00 Practice 2

10/17

15:00 Practice 3
18:00 Qualifying

10/18

19:00 Grand Prix

cotarzloj.gif

Designed by architect Hermann Tilke, the Circuit of the Americas is now the new home for Formula 1 in the US. The track combines many elements of popular circuits to create a 20-turn world class facility that will also host other forms of motor sport, including MotoGP and V8 Supercars. One prominent feature of the track is the 133 ft. rise to the top of turn 1 that is sure to deliver plenty of carnage during the opening lap. There is a lot of work to be done by the teams this weekend to familiarize themselves with the venue.

lhvvu.jpg

XR8gX.png

1978 Formula 1 World Champion Mario Andretti drives around the Circtuit of the Americas

Laps
56​
Circuit length
5.516 km (3.427 mi)​
Race length
308.896 km (191.939 mi)​
Lap Record
N/A​
Most Wins (Drivers)
N/A​
Most Wins (Constructors)
N/A​

GP Facts

-Made up of 11 left and nine right turns, the Circuit of the Americas is 5.516km (3.4 miles) long. It is one of just five current F1 circuits to run anti-clockwise, the others being Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi and Brazil. Curiously, all five circuits feature in the final seven-race stretch of the 2012 season.

-COTA’s track surface took four months to lay and the third and final layer was completed in late September. The final layer is made up of aggregate from all over Texas. All told, over 640,000 cubic metres of material have been used to construct the track.

-Race organisers are billing Turn One as the track’s signature corner. From the start/finish line the track rises 41m (133 feet) before heading into a tight and blind first-gear left-hand turn.

-Turns 2 and 3 pay tribute to the Senna ‘S’ at Brazil’s Interlagos, while turns 4-6 have been designed as an homage to the Maggots, Becketts, Chapel complex at Silverstone. Other recognisable elements include a section, from Turns 12-14, reminiscent of Hockenheim’s stadium section and the triple apex stretch through turns 16-18 has been modelled after Istanbul Park’s Turn 8.

-The first lap of the finished circuit was completed by legendary US racer Mario Andretti. In his 131-grand prix F1 career, Andretti raced in 11 US Grands Prix, seven races billed as the US GP West and both of the races held in Las Vegas, but recorded just one win on home soil. That was at the the USA West race at Long Beach in 1977 where, driving for Lotus, he finished ahead of Ferrari’s Niki Lauda and Wolf’s Jody Scheckter.
-Nine US circuits have previously hosted grands prix: Sebring, Riverside, Watkins Glen, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, Las Vegas, Long Beach and most recently Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

-The last winner of a US Grand Prix was Lewis Hamilton in 2007. Racing for McLaren in his rookie season, Hamilton scored pole position at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the following day took his second career win. His first victory had come a week earlier at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

-That 2007 US GP at Indianapolis was also notable in that, as well as seeing a future world champion win in Hamilton, it handed a race debut to another future title winner, Sebastian Vettel. The German replaced the injured Robert Kubica at the wheel of a BMW Sauber. Aged just 19, Vettel qualified in seventh position and finished eighth, for which he earned one point. In so doing, he became F1’s youngest ever points scorer, a record he still holds.

-In recent times Michael Schumacher, due to retire for a second time after next week’s Brazilian GP, has been the most successful driver at the US GP. In the period from 2000-2007, when the race was staged at Indianapolis, Schumacher won five of the eight events (2000 and ’03-’06).

standingswaleb.gif

Compared to 2011, the 2012 season has been filled with surprising race finishes and results. The first seven races of the year had seven different winners until the eighth round in Valencia where Fernando Alonso became the first two time winner of the year. More multiple 2012 race winners popped up afterwards but it was Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton who looked set to duel to the finale in Brazil. The rivalry would be short lived.

Lewis Hamilton was leading the night race in Singapore and cruising to his second win in a row and fourth in the year when his car suffered an engine failure, handing the race lead to Sebastian Vettel. Vettel, in typical fashion, held onto that lead and did not let go. In fact, he continued that lead for the next three races, winning them all and building a hefty championship lead. Fernando Alonso, his nearest rival with a ten point deficit with two races to go, has a mountain to climb and needs the stars to align if he has any hopes of coming back and taking the crown this year.

Points for Drivers and Constructors Championships are awarded as follows:

1st. 25 Points
2nd. 18 Points
3rd. 15 Points
4th. 12 Points
5th. 10 Points
6th. 8 Points
7th. 6 Points
8th. 4 Points
9th. 2 Points
10th. 1 Point

Drivers Championship

AAK41.png

Constructors Championship

ZvStP.png

NeoGAF Fantasy League Championship

Tcxti.png

~~

Thanks to SunhiLegend for the awesome .gifs, FIA.com for track information, and the Reddit F1 Community for the videos.

Chris R

Hopefully this gets more people to tune in to this amazing sport.
It would be nice if the race occurred earlier in the year so it wouldn't run against the NFL but whatever. The NASCAR race is later in the day so maybe some of that audience tunes in for a bit.

Anyways hope to see a bunch of people there over the next few days!

I'm looking forward to checking out my first F1 race, but absolutely terrified of the traffic I will be facing daily, as I drive to work on the same roads one takes to get to the racetrack.

And those roads are already fairly busy, particularly during rush hour.

TylerD

Holy... Those gifs are great. Splendid OP for the first race US race in too long.

I am on south Lamar and plan on leaving very early in the morning. I know buses start leaving the airport at 7 and I want to get there and walk around a bit before there is track action.

Not long now!

coldfoot

Banned
Track lacks soul and doesn't feel much different than other Tilke tracks...the real US GP is the one coming to NJ...

Shaneus

Really hoping that this thread gets F1 some good exposure around GAF and the race itself gets some good exposure for the sport in general in the US. As much as I'd like for something interesting to happen to Vettel to keep the WDC exciting for Brazil, all I can really hope for is that it's an entertaining race (and that Webber does well, obv).

Out of interest, are the people in Austin that aware of the GP this weekend? If so what is their general mood about the whole thing?

A lot of businesses have been putting out race flags and such, so I think a large portion of us are aware. My general mood is a mixture of interest and exasperation, being interested in watching the races but not too happy about my work-commute time probably doubling during events.

SPEED Broadcast Schedule (US Central/local time):

10/16

10:30AM The All-American Victory - Dan Gurney Wins the Belgian GP
11:00AM Mobil 1 The Grid - USGP Special
12:30PM Building the Circuit of the Americas - F1’s Return to the US
1:00PM Formula One Practice - Grand Prix of the United States

10/17

8:30AM Mobil 1 The Grid - USGP Special
12:00PM Formula One Qualifying - Grand Prix of the United States

10/18

12:30PM Formula One Racing - Grand Prix of the United States
Why are you making a new thread about a race that happened a month ago?

Meier

Welcome to Austin. :)

Out of interest, are the people in Austin that aware of the GP this weekend? If so what is their general mood about the whole thing?

There has been a lot of discussion about it coming up -- a good bit of controversy regarding the construction and now the concerns over the traffic that it's bringing. I'm super excited about it even though I couldn't care less about F1. I love more people getting exposed to the city.

TylerD

Track lacks soul and doesn't feel much different than other Tilke tracks...the real US GP is the one coming to NJ...

I don't think a track can inherently have soul but of a lot of Tilke tracks this one seems much more promising. The elevation changes add a lot. I do agree that the NJ circuit looks pretty special though.

h1nch

Scored tix to this this week so I'll be there at turn 11. Never been to any open wheel racing event in my life so I'm really looking forward to it.

And yeah, Austin is going to be a disaster traffic-wise.

coldfoot

Banned
This is pretty different
Not really when you're negotiating it at 1st gear and the uphill actually helps your braking from the start/finish straight. Not to mention there is no scenery. The actual NJ track is 3 miles from me and I've driven it many times, there is no comparison.

total newbie

I watched the Senna documentary on Netflix this week. I was wondering if there is a video that explains the championship year and points system and maybe a list of where the drivers go each year to become a champion.

GeMiNii

The city has done the best they can to prepare everyone for it, everyone is aware that it's happening and knows what to expect for the most part.

Almost everyone I've talked to is pretty excited about the idea of it, but it's a completely new thing so no one really knows what the longer term impact is.

fuzzyset

The city has done the best they can to prepare everyone for it, everyone is aware that it's happening and knows what to expect for the most part.

Almost everyone I've talked to is pretty excited about the idea of it, but it's a completely new thing so no one really knows what the longer term impact is.

I'm very excited. Although, I can manage with getting around on foot or bike for the weekend, but it should be a fun time.

SolKane

Austin was full of so much Eurotrash today, you could practically smell the gorgonzola

no offense to any eurotrash

DarkFlow

Banned
Glad to see F1 coming back to the US. I went to the race in Phoenix way back in 91 since I lived there. Loud race cars are the coolest thing to a 8 year old lol.

CSX

haha, just found Im visiting Austin the same day the race starts.

So anyone can sneak me in pleaseeeeeeee

A lot of my Austin friends are going even though they've never watched F1 before. It's nice to see this is bringing more fans.

Blablurn

veeeeetteeeeeeeeeel!

i played the course several times in F1 2012 and liked it a lot. it seems boring at first but driving it is a lot of fun. of course i speak only for the video game version :p

Adamm

Woo, can't wait.

Track looks good hopefully it'll be a good race & hopefully its gets more Americans I interested in the sport.

Edit: should we post here until the race is over, then back to the OT?

Dead Man

total newbie

I watched the Senna documentary on Netflix this week. I was wondering if there is a video that explains the championship year and points system and maybe a list of where the drivers go each year to become a champion.

The F1 site has video reviews of races you can watch.

http://www.formula1.com/video/race_edits/

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ has a good rundown of the basic rules too, some of them are a bit... silly, but they are what they are at the moment.

The points are as listed in the OP:

Points for Drivers and Constructors Championships are awarded as follows:

1st. 25 Points
2nd. 18 Points
3rd. 15 Points
4th. 12 Points
5th. 10 Points
6th. 8 Points
7th. 6 Points
8th. 4 Points
9th. 2 Points
10th. 1 Point

Hammer24

Banned
Great OP, thx!

The new track looks exciting, and should have ample overtaking possibilities. Combined with how close the driver championship stands, this could become an instant classic. Can´t wait!

Addnan

Ooh, threads gone up. Nice.

That first corner should be amazing. Webber to end up 10th after the start.
uphill lol

Raikkonen to win, Alonso and Vettel are going to swear on stage get 40points taken off each and he's right back in it. :D

This could be the first race of the season I don't get to watch in full live :( Stupid house move.

kharma45

A pity this isn't a BBC race, I'll be having to use Sky Go for the race on Sunday which will mean I'll be around 30s-1m behind :(

Orgun

A great write up on how the teams handle coming to a new track

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20343490

Firstly, this programme will use this data to calculate the minimum car speed for each of the corners. Secondly, it will work out braking distances.
Let's say that the minimum corner speed is 100km/h; the programme will accelerate the car backwards away from that corner, working out the braking profile, which can vary dramatically because for a given car speed the aerodynamic forces alter the potential grip levels.
Thirdly, the programme will work out acceleration rates out of the corners. Where the accelerating and braking lines cross gives the maximum speed for the car with that set-up.
So suddenly the team have a graph that shows acceleration speed, braking distance and minimum corner speeds for the whole track. From that, they can sort out the gear ratios and play around with downforce levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom