• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The EB website is reporting that local stores(to me) have the following PSP games instore:

World Tour Soccer
Gretzky NHL
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
Spider-Man 2
Need For Speed Underground Rivals

I'm gonna call to confirm.

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with one of the stores listed as having them in stock... the games listed above are in the store.

EDIT2:

BuddyC said:
You really don't need to confirm, those games all shipped far earlier in the week. They've got 'em, for sure.

Yes I do need to confirm... it gives me something to do besides working dammit! ;)

<sigh> I really need to decide if I'm going to get my reserved system at launch(and what games) or what....

Anyone been by Best Buy to see if they've got anything in stock?

Also, I'm really interested in hearing Untold Legends impressions as soon as anyone can post some. I know it's not shipped out to stores yet, but thought someone may have gotten a pre-release copy. It's probably the game I'm most up in the air about at the moment. Some times I think it's a for sure pick-up and other times I'm shying away.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone been by Best Buy to see if they've got anything in stock?

Also, I'm really interested in hearing Untold Legends impressions as soon as anyone can post some. I know it's not shipped out to stores yet, but thought someone may have gotten a pre-release copy. It's probably the game I'm most up in the air about at the moment. Some times I think it's a for sure pick-up and other times I'm shying away.

The PR for it going gold just came out today and it won't ship until the 22nd ;)

Untold Legends(TM): Brotherhood of the Blade(TM) for the PSP(TM) Handheld Entertainment System Goes Gold
Thursday March 17, 8:00 am ET
- Sony Online Entertainment's Highly-Anticipated PSP Handheld System Launch Title Ships March 22, 2005 -

SAN DIEGO, March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that Untold Legends(TM): Brotherhood of the Blade(TM) has gone gold. Developed and published by SOE, Untold Legends(TM): Brotherhood of the Blade(TM) will be available exclusively for the PSP(TM) handheld entertainment system for the suggested retail price of $39.99 and is scheduled to ship to North American retail stores on March 22, 2005.

"In just a few days, the handheld gaming revolution begins with the launch of the PSP handheld system, and given the strong feedback we are receiving from the press, retailers, and consumers via pre-sell orders, Untold Legends is proving to be a must-have launch title," said Torrie Dorrell, Senior Vice President, Sony Online Entertainment. "Untold Legends is a brand new intellectual property built from the ground up specifically for the PSP handheld system, and will be the only action role-playing game available at the new system's launch."

With fast-paced, hack 'n slash action, randomly-generated environments, hundreds of monsters and items, beautiful 3D graphics, and four-person, wireless cooperative multiplayer gameplay via the PSP handheld system's built-in wireless connectivity, Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade offers a compelling, on-the-go gameplay experience never before seen on a handheld gaming device. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade introduces four customizable playable races; an original storyline; a huge game world of over 100 levels; 150 different creatures to battle; hundreds of thousands of items to discover; and beautiful, vibrant environments that take full advantage of the PSP handheld system's technical capabilities.

About Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

Journey to a world beyond the realms of imagination and engage in battles to save Aven, a timeless city of safe haven and the last remaining stronghold of Good in a world of Evil. As a dark threat looms and a gathering of unknown forces grows stronger, heroes have been called and the Brotherhood of the Blade has been formed. It is up to you and your chosen brothers to unravel the mysteries of this looming peril. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade offers on-the-go action-RPG combat, intense multiplayer battles and a completely original adventure for you to uncover.

* Action RPG: Wield your blade and cast powerful spells in this
action-packed, hack 'n slash RPG exclusively for the PSP handheld
system.

* Epic Adventure: Create a unique hero and set out into the wilds of Unataca to battle powerful creatures, save your city of Aven from imminent extinction and unravel the mysteries of a looming peril.

* Wireless Multiplayer Gameplay: A wireless multiplayer mode features gameplay through the PSP handheld system's built-in wireless connectivity . Connect directly with multiple PSP handheld systems for the ultimate in hack 'n slash action with no wires (up to four players)!

* Four Playable Character Classes: Select from four unique character classes including an ancient order of valiant Knights, a foundation of brilliant Alchemists, an order of noble Druids, and a race of feral hunters known as the Berserkers. Each character class has unique fighting abilities or magical spells.

* Beautiful 3D Environments: Battle through more than 100 diverse levels that come alive with brilliant 3D graphics, stunning lighting, dynamic visual effects and highly-detailed player characters and monsters.

* Dynamic Game Experience: Play in randomly generated environments and fight against unique monsters for a different experience every time you play.

* Items and Artifacts: Collect hundreds of items, usable gear and rare magical artifacts to aid in your battles.

* Character Customization: Modify your hero for a completely customized look and ability set.

* Hordes of Monsters: Battle over 150 types of monsters with 50 unique models and textures.

* Challenging Boss Monster Battles: Engage in strategic combat with humongous bosses, each with their own distinctive combat techniques.

For more information on Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, please visit: http://www.UntoldLegends.com.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
When I was playing THUG2 last night I thought I found a really bad crashing bug, but instead it turns out to be a pseudo-problem with the hardware.

I was just goofing around in the Warehouse training level, and I wanted to spin while in midair so I pressed the right trigger really hard and held it down. Boom, the system shuts down! I turn the system back on and it did a full reboot. Back in the game, I again do something with holding down the right trigger and the screen turns off again. I get angry, but notice that it seems like it was only in sleep mode this time.

Then I figure out what was happening: due to the way I was holding the PSP, pressing the R trigger hard caused the base of my hand to nudge the power switch. So if I held down the trigger, I was actually holding down the power switch too.

This is kind of sucky, because now I have to make sure I hold the PSP "the right way" so that this doesn't happen. There's no way to "lock" the power button either as far as I know since the lock position on the switch is there to put it into "ignore input" mode.

Gamecentric.com

Excerpt:

To show gamers and consumers what they will experience with the system, Sony has created two television spots entitled "POV" and "Blender". "POV"opens in a factory with the birth of the system, where it is then unwrapped for the first time as it looks into the face of excited customers awaiting its appearance. It then shifts to a consumer using the product in a variety of spaces while enjoying the system.

In "Blender", live action with movies, music and games all come together to show the potential of the system. Opening with a young person walking down the street, he then morphs into characters from his favorite forms of media, in particular Needles Kane of Twisted Metal, a movie cowboy, a hockey and NBA star, and a musician.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Marconelly said:
You can do this only for the US stores, right?

AFAIK yes only with US stores. It prompts you for a zip code to be able to do a local store search.

Miburou

I just came back from the EB here in downtown Montreal, and they only had NFSU and World Tour Soccer. They told me that Wipeout and MGA are coming in on the 22nd. Futureshop has also changed the release date of Wipeout to the 22nd, while MGA is on the 24th.

DMczaf

Just paid off my PSP and traded in 3 games to get Wipeout free at EBgames. 1 more week!

AND today was my last day of classes before the break, AND Kobe gets killed by Shaq tonight

Good things come in 3s!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Just got a call from my friend who was at EB to pick up Need For Speed Underground Rivals. EB now has Dynasty Warriors PSP in stock in addtion to the 5 other games from yesterday. No Wipeout yet :-(

BuddyC

No one in the state has Wipeout Pure, not even the stores right next to the distribution hub. I am sad. But I will have it tomorrow, no way around that. None at all.

JavyOO7

Just a couple of questions, guys:

Interested in buying a PSP, but according to the Miami Herald article I read Tuesday, it's only the first million people who buy the PSP Value pack that will have Spider-Man 2 on the thing. Is this true? I've never seen Spiderman, and it's a big reason right now I want to buy the PSP.

2) Which baseball game do you guys prefer I buy? I think there's 3 of them right? One by 989, other by EA, other by Take-Two, no?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JavyOO7 said:
Just a couple of questions, guys:

Interested in buying a PSP, but according to the Miami Herald article I read Tuesday, it's only the first million people who buy the PSP Value pack that will have Spider-Man 2 on the thing. Is this true? I've never seen Spiderman, and it's a big reason right now I want to buy the PSP.

2) Which baseball game do you guys prefer I buy? I think there's 3 of them right? One by 989, other by EA, other by Take-Two, no?

Yes, that is true. Only the first 1 million units will ship with the SM2 UMD.

acklame

SF Metreon midnight launch
The new PSP™ handheld entertainment system is coming to the Bay Area—and you could be one of the first to get your hands on it! Advance buzz on the PSP has been so intense, we're opening the PlayStation® Store at a special time...and we're letting YOU in on the secret.

WHEN:
Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Line up early - before midnight.

WHERE:
PlayStation® Store @ Metreon
101 4th Street, San Francisco
(415) 369-6040

The PSP Value Pack and selected PSP software will be available for purchase starting at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, March 24th on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit one (1) PSP Value Pack and one (1) of each PSP software title per customer, per purchase (while supplies last).

Remember, this is an exclusive event with limited merchandise—so plan to arrive early. See you there!

Anyone know if EB is going to do a midnight launch now that Gamestop has announced? Also anyone know what's going on with Wipeout? One EB told me first party titles won't be available until the 22nd or 23rd and that they would only be available to preorders due to limited quantities.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Need For Speed Underground Rivals isn't as bad as I thought it was yesterday. Been playing the circuit mode and I like the aggressive AI. At one point the race leader was trying to run me off of the road! The game also has a good sense of speed once you get used to the "shaky camera" used to simulate motion at faster speeds.

But Ridge Racers still owns it in every possible way. :p

BuddyC said:
No one in the state has Wipeout Pure, not even the stores right next to the distribution hub. I am sad. But I will have it tomorrow, no way around that. None at all.

Odd that Gamestop was still saying 3/21 for Wipeout and Twisted Metal when I checked earlier today, but EB is shipping now.

Stores should have gotten Dynasty Warriors today.

Tomorrow stores should have Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, and Darkstalkers Chronicle.

Marty Chinn said:
Anyone know if EB is going to do a midnight launch now that Gamestop has announced? Also anyone know what's going on with Wipeout? One EB told me first party titles won't be available until the 22nd or 23rd and that they would only be available to preorders due to limited quantities.

Not sure if they all will but my eb confirmed it last week.

newsguy

Lyte Edge said:
Tomorrow stores should have Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, and Darkstalkers Chronicle.

I'm not sure why EB didn't get these games today. The manager told me they would be getting them (including NBA) but they never received a shipment.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
newsguy said:
I'm not sure why EB didn't get these games today. The manager told me they would be getting them (including NBA) but they never received a shipment.

They told me the same thing for Ape Escape when I pre-ordered it yesterday, but they must have the stock date confused with the ship date.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Local Gamestop opened up pre-orders again, so I hurriedly took advantage. Locked down RR, Wipeout, Lumines, and Metal Gear. Debating on Ape Escape and Darkstalkers once some of you guinea pigs give the OK.

What's the deal with MGA's online functionality? Box mentions both Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure.

to all Canadians angry about the forced pack in bundle with Gretzky at $350 Can.

I got off the phone with Wal-Mart and they said that they will have two packs.
- a $300 pack without Gretzky
- a $350 pack with Gretzky

the only thing that the dude was unable to confirm was if the $300 one was called a "value" pack - so who knows

but since Wal-Mart opens at 8am and I work days,, i will go to Wal-Mart at on Thursday at opening

Futureshop can bite me

Need for Speed Underground Rivals gamespot review :
Fans of the Need for Speed Underground series will feel right at home with Rivals. It gets rid of the overblown, big-city atmosphere of the recent console release and puts the focus on getting into races--the best part of the series--very quickly. Though a few minor tweaks would have made Rivals a bit better, there's enough fast-paced driving action here to satisfy race fans.

BuddyC

mafthug.jpg

The quality of the shot isn't the best, but you get the general idea.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Goddamn Gamerush and their ridiculous trade amounts....

I'm now the proud prepaid owner of
Lumines
MGA
Untold Legends
Wipeout Pure
Twisted Metal

Sony is my god.

newsguy

BuddyC said:
mafthug.jpg

The quality of the shot isn't the best, but you get the general idea.

That's awesome. :lol

About NFSU Rivals, I read the review and this game is a sleeper in my book. Of course it will sell ridiculously well, but I've never really been into the series, but after seeing a couple of import reviews and this one, I'll add it to my gamefly Q.

sly

Banned
How does region-free game affect online play? If I'm playing a NA Twisted Metal game on an European PSP(when its eventually released :lol ) will I be able to play with people from NA online? Will there be continental restrictions?

neptunes

well people have been playing gretsky online with their japanese psp's, so I assume it there wouldn't be any problems.

but don't take my word as fact.

Amir0x

Banned
sly said:
How does region-free game affect online play? If I'm playing a NA Twisted Metal game on an European PSP(when its eventually released :lol ) will I be able to play with people from NA online? Will there be continental restrictions?

Heh, nobody reads the first post :(

Games are NOT cross-region compatible, unfortunately. But this is not exactly surprising. Because of language issues, games in different regions are is essentially "unique" copies and therefore wouldn't be able to communicate with each other since they'd both be considered different games.

But this is not exactly surprising. Most of the time, handheld games are not cross region compatible.

However, as your example stated... as long as they were both using the NA version of Twisted Metal, it'll work fine no matter the system.

BuddyC

newsguy said:
Must... resist... EB...hatred...

Wipeout or TM head on, or both, better be here tomorrow... seriously.
Hey, much as I love to dog EB, I couldn't find one retailer in the entire state of Indiana that had Wipeout Pure. It just shipped today, so most places will have it tomorrow.

In other news, GameStop.com just lost my business.

newsguy

I know, I'm just getting restless. The truth is that my local EB is pretty good. The manager is very knowledgable about games (maybe biased towards Nintendo, but the 80's generation usually is) and he's really friendly. So much so, that I drive past the Gamestop less than 2 blocks from my house to get there. I'd rather waste a little extra fuel and go somewhere that I know wants my business, than cross the street and deal with jerks who could care less about the customer. These past few days I've just been on EB's case because the ship dates on the website are conflicting with what the store has been saying. Tomorrow should prove to be better though.

cvxfreak

Wow, that text program's fucking cool. Now on a long flight, I can have interesting stuff to read without having to crank out the laptop. I should invest in a GB stick afterall...

sly

Banned
Amir0x said:
Heh, nobody reads the first post :(

Games are NOT cross-region compatible, unfortunately. But this is not exactly surprising. Because of language issues, games in different regions are is essentially "unique" copies and therefore wouldn't be able to communicate with each other since they'd both be considered different games.

But this is not exactly surprising. Most of the time, handheld games are not cross region compatible.

Sucks to be in Europe. :lol Some games aren't worth playing online over here because of the restrictions; I remember getting very excited when I bought Ratchet & Clank 3 only to find out there were only very few people online, sometimes less than twenty.

Amir0x said:
However, as your example stated... as long as they were both using the NA version of Twisted Metal, it'll work fine no matter the system.

Does it matter where you're playing from? If one is playing a NA version of Twisted Metal in Japan would you be able to play with people from NA or people with the NA version of Twisted Metal all over the world? If its possible I'll be better off importing games that have an online mode from NA.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
krypt0nian said:
Yup mine from Ecost.com was just delayed til May. Cancelled of course.

Mine doesn't say it was delayed, it just doesn't specify a ship date. Told me it would ship in 2-10 days when I ordered it, and there's still some time left before that timeline is broken.

Jonnyram

I guess you haven't had chance to rip that Killer remix yet have you, Marconelly? :) When you have time, if you could, I'd be much obliged.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jonny, please don't think I've forgot about it. I did however run into a small problem. When I came home today, I started looking for a 3.5mm male -> 3.5mm male cable that I need for this, which I was quite sure I have had. Well, turns out I don't have it, so I'll have to buy it somewhere tomorrow :(

Top Bottom