• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
woPure%20Screen15.jpg

woPure%20Screen5.jpg

woPure%20Screen12.jpg

woPure%20Screen14.jpg

woPure%20Screen7.jpg

woPure%20Screen6.jpg

More...
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=95

WipeOut Pure looks like the only game I would want - to spend or not to spend that is the question

This would be my first Sony gaming entry hmmm

Where the hell is TALKMAN?

Mejilan said:
Mine doesn't say it was delayed, it just doesn't specify a ship date. Told me it would ship in 2-10 days when I ordered it, and there's still some time left before that timeline is broken.

Mine didn't say delayed either. I called them due to someone saying that they called and were told May. eCost just confirmed the delay.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anywhere online shipping wipeout yet? Sometimes for places that ship to the UK they ship early 'to make sure they reach you by release date'.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fowler said:
Sorry if this has been addressed before -- but NBA Street and FIFA have slipped from launch, right?

Yup
FIFA Soccer - 4/5/05
NBA Street Showdown - 4/25/05

According to ebgames.com

newsguy

BuddyC said:
ebgames.com is shipping Wipeout, but I think that's it for now.

What's the good word today man? It's too early to call EB because their shipments come in around 12:00. The manager told me today for sure, and I have a long day at work today which would benefit from some TM/Wipeout action.

BuddyC

I think Wipeout should hit stores today, it started shipping from distribution centers yesterday so most EB stores should get it today, and also Toys R Us. I haven't been following Twisted Metal as closely, but if I can get ahold of it, I will. My only concern is that I have to work the middle shift today, which is notorious for ending about three minutes before every game store in town closes.

Wipeout is Out. I'm holding it right now. (I don't have a PSP though.)

I'd bet it's in EBs across this fine nation.

There are major control modifications that sound cool as toast, however.

In addition to SideSlide move, you can perform a barrel roll if you're coming off a high enough jump that gives you a speed boost and a slight loss of shield energy.

I'd like to hear how it actually plays for someone who's actually used it. If there's anyone here...who fits that description...

Strategy meets SSX style meets the Thrust System from WIp3out. I can't wait til Thursday Morning.

Scoobert

EB managers are usually working in the mornings/afternoons. It might be a good idea and go at that time asking if they are opening up at midnight. Casually bring up Best Buy is opening up at 8am, 2 hours earlier than normal. I guarantee you he will try and get the store to open up earlier.

Who knows, maybe the store ends up doing a midnight sale.

newsguy

Wipeout is in-store. Just confirmed with the manager. I'll pick it up before work, and if I have time I'll post some impressions from work. Oddly, they didn't get Twisted Metal.

aoi tsuki

Yeah, add me to the "just picked up Wipeout Pure and i don't have a PSP" list. Notice the spelling of Feisar on page ten. :/

Edit: My store's barely a week old and they're getting ten units. Normal store hours.

Does anybody know when Lumines will be in-store? My gamerush has the date of the 25th. All of their other launch games come in before the launch. (Some are already in.)

Amir0x

Banned
This has to be some method of super-torture, staring at Wipeout Pure... with no system until Thursday... just FROTHING at the mouth in anticipation...

I'm doing the EXACT same thing. I recommend staring at the Progression screen cap in the manual and let your mind wander. Or the zone screen cap, which looks Tronsational.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Does anybody know when Lumines will be in-store? My gamerush has the date of the 25th. All of their other launch games come in before the launch. (Some are already in.)

Supposedly 22nd. I wish it came out this week as this is my most anticipated title from the list

DMczaf

:lol I'm sitting here reading about you guys saying Wipeout is out and then I get a call from EBGames saying my copy has arrived.

aoi tsuki

i just stared at the screenshot on the back of the case, and realized it's pretty close to the actual PSP screen, combined with the area that was cropped out. i wish the cases were horizontal so you could actually play them.

Jeez, i feel like it's Christmas, and i know the toy wrapped under the tree is a game system, but i can't open it for FIVE MORE DAYS.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Well got my copy of Wipeout Pure and THUG Remix. Amazing how the PSP just sells itself when you show the store clerk the system in person.

Ok, off to gaming goodness. Now I don't have to stand in line on launch day.

crecente said:
I just wrapped up my Live Blogging of the first two days with the U.S. PSP. I wrote up a quick summary of what I think is good and bad about the device.
If you have any interest you can check it, and all of my other blather, out here:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/live-blogging/index.php

Crecente, I'll be the first to say that I appreciate your blogging on the PSP experience and all, but calling that thing "Honey" is just disturbing to read on so many levels.

Amir0x

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Crecente, I'll be the first to say that I appreciate your blogging on the PSP experience and all, but calling that thing "Honey" is just disturbing to read on so many levels.

Yeah, no kidding...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kung Fu Jedi said:

"Man, I love the way Honey feels in my hands while I’m playing with her."

Gek54

I was about to pick up some suround sound headphones until I just heard that the 7.1 got pulled. Is it just stereo now????

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EB Canada soesn't have Wipeout yet :((

Why, Canada, WHYYY!!! EB here always gets games at least a day later, except if it's something like GTA or Halo.

newsguy

I played the first few stages of wipeout. I have never owned a game in this series, and when I played them it was the early versions. I started on Venom (faster mode) just to see that the sense of speed is actually there since it is a concern. The sense of speed is there (unless you hit lots of walls) and when you boost it almost gets too fast. Because I'm not a veteran I have a really tough time not hitting walls, the game moves fast, and the narrow walls and sharp turns don't help (I'm sure with practice this can be overcome). The analog disc is better than the D-pad for this game IMO. The D-pad feels floaty while the disc offers more precise control. Graphically, it's damn good. I mean, after 4 stages I've seen more variety than what I saw in 3 months of RR. Not to say RR didn't have many diverse tracks, but because it's based on real world places like cities and mountainsides, it's stuff you're used to. Wipeout allows for futuristic tracks and I can see they put their imagination into it because they look amazing. Particle effects are big and flashy, and when one of those bombs blows up near you it engulfs the screen, simply awesome. Audio so far is techno and rave music which fits the theme well, also, the menu screens and load screens are perfect IMO, not cluttered, simple, yet clean and appealing.
I would go more in-depth, but because I'm not a veteran of this series I can't make a good comparison.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
DarienA said:
"Man, I love the way Honey feels in my hands while I’m playing with her."

..."Honey has been my wife since 3/16 this year"

Sorry crecente, it's a little creepy ;)

crecente

Alright all you PSP owners, what have you names yours? I don't want the only one to be ridiculed for poor name choices?

p.s. When you first boot up the system it asks you to name the PSP, so I don't want any of this pleading ignorant crap Jim! ;)

crecente said:
Alright all you PSP owners, what have you names yours? I don't want the only one to be ridiculed for poor name choices?

p.s. When you first boot up the system it asks you to name the PSP, so I don't want any of this pleading ignorant crap Jim! ;)

Well, to be fair, we're not all putting it in a blog for the whole world to see. :D

I don't have mine yet. As a mere mortal, I have to wait until next Thursday, but I plan to call mine "Jedi Holocron".

DHGamer

Picked up Wipeout today as well. No Twisted Metal or Ape Escape though. They told me those are being shipped directly from Sony and would arrive with the system. Odd, where are the others shipping from?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would like if someone could comment if the music in Wipeout sounds MIDI-like, or if it can have lyrics, etc. Or just in general how complex and engineered it sounds.

newsguy

Marconelly said:
I would like if someone could comment if the music in Wipeout sounds MIDI-like, or if it can have lyrics, etc. Or just in general how complex and engineered it sounds.

So far it's rave/trance music with no lyrics. Sounds very crisp and you can hear the announcers clearly when they say things like "autopilot."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
newsguy said:
I played the first few stages of wipeout. I have never owned a game in this series, and when I played them it was the early versions. I started on Venom (faster mode) just to see that the sense of speed is actually there since it is a concern. The sense of speed is there (unless you hit lots of walls) and when you boost it almost gets too fast. Because I'm not a veteran I have a really tough time not hitting walls, the game moves fast, and the narrow walls and sharp turns don't help (I'm sure with practice this can be overcome). The analog disc is better than the D-pad for this game IMO. The D-pad feels floaty while the disc offers more precise control. Graphically, it's damn good. I mean, after 4 stages I've seen more variety than what I saw in 3 months of RR. Not to say RR didn't have many diverse tracks, but because it's based on real world places like cities and mountainsides, it's stuff you're used to. Wipeout allows for futuristic tracks and I can see they put their imagination into it because they look amazing. Particle effects are big and flashy, and when one of those bombs blows up near you it engulfs the screen, simply awesome. Audio so far is techno and rave music which fits the theme well, also, the menu screens and load screens are perfect IMO, not cluttered, simple, yet clean and appealing.
I would go more in-depth, but because I'm not a veteran of this series I can't make a good comparison.

Damn, now I have to buy it :/

You'll get used to the tracks. You have to balance your crafts speed and momentum with the track - you end up turning way in advance of the corners to keep your speed up, so learning the tracks is important.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone want to ship me a wipeout? I'll swap for a UK Donkey konga disc if you like, or something else rare/boring.

Or I could get my missus to pick something up from Japan for ya.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
DHGamer said:
Picked up Wipeout today as well. No Twisted Metal or Ape Escape though. They told me those are being shipped directly from Sony and would arrive with the system. Odd, where are the others shipping from?

Odd too because ebgames.com says Ape Escape is now shipping. Last night the list at the EBGames near me said AE would be in stores on the 18th, and Wipeout would be there the 24th.

Essentially, there's no rhyme or reason to any of this madness. AE's the one game I need sooner than later, too. :/

newsguy

mrklaw said:
Damn, now I have to buy it :/

You'll get used to the tracks. You have to balance your crafts speed and momentum with the track - you end up turning way in advance of the corners to keep your speed up, so learning the tracks is important.

Yes, I'm getting the hang of it and it's very nice. Some new things, I had a friend here at work come down and play the game (he's a big fan of the series) and he was able to do well right away. He almost had a stroke when he saw the game in motion as he's only seen videos so far. after 10 minutes there were 3 guys surrounding the PSP in shock. Another thing is that the particle effects are so damn good that all of those guys said they haven't seen anything comparable on the PS2. There's one projectile that's (pardon my french) fucking great. You've all seen it in videos, it's a huge ball of fire that flows down the track like a tidal wave taking out all the cars in it's path. Needless to say, this will be one of those must haves that so many doubters say the PSP doesn't have yet.

Top Bottom