• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Big fan of Wipeout series, okay but not thrilled with Pure.

The bad: Engine is a little unstable at times and many of my favorite effects from XL/2097 are basically gone... as they were in 3 and Fusion. That was a disappointment given all the "we're going back to XL" talk from Sony.

New weapon icons are not especially bright, and beyond the fact that the TDR look and feel is now officially even more gone than in Fusion, some of the textures are ehh. I really think the team could have made great use of an additional 4-6 weeks of development time - it's just short of the polish it needed to be classic, for most of these reasons. The HUD in particular is way threadbare.

The good: Front end is generally nice, as is intro movie. When it's running smooth, it feels a lot like Wipeouts of old. It's not as oddball as 3 in any way. And the basic gameplay feels mostly intact; control is good. Music is inoffensive (though obviously not in 1/XL league) and sound effects are very good.

The very good: Tantalizing promise of huge quantity of downloadable content. No apparent shortage of content already on the disc. Both could make this a really excellent game in the long term.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
When I saw Wipeout Pure for the first time I was shocked by the frame rate too since I was coming from a look at Ridge Racers. But after a while I got used to it. Anyway, developers where there for a chat and I asked about the frame rate. I've been told the team decided to stick with 30fps rather than push for 60 at the very beginning of the development 'cos they where afraid about the battery lastability.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is it just me or does Wipeout Pure play a whole lot smoother in Zone mode? It almost seemed like the game was running at 60fps, but that can't be right...can it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lyte Edge said:
Is it just me or does Wipeout Pure play a whole lot smoother in Zone mode? It almost seemed like the game was running at 60fps, but that can't be right...can it?

It could be like Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast. The game ran MUCH smoother during Adventure than it did during the Time Trials. The framerate took such a massive hit in time trials and I never understood why (outside of sloppy programming)... :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What kind of framerate does Twisted Metal offer? Everyone just says that it is extremely smooth, but I've never seen a number for it. 60 fps? 30 fps? Any ideas?

Mrbob

Is Wipeout Pure going to get more polished for the Europe launch? Maybe I'll wait for that and import the game.

Lyte Edge said:
I have the Japanese Lumines already. Improved load times are nice, but they aren't a problem to begin with. :)

Ugh is that all? What happened to different skins? I had a chance to pick up Lumines JP new for $30 but was holding out for the US version. I'd rather have a JP version if that's the only difference so I can play multiplayer against my g/f.

Fuck, finally unbanned. Anyways, I'll be picking up TM next week (school sucks), hope to play some of you online at some point.

BTW: When is Mercury due out? Every site has a different release date for it, isn't it already done and gone gold?

BuddyC

I was messing around with Twisted Metal: Head On, and sure enough, you can play story mode online. Two player coop.

Mrbob

Woa. Two player co-op online for Twisted Metal? Nice!

I want to touch on the movie aspect for a moment. I don't buy that UMD discs are not big enough to fit extras in UMD movies. Many DVD movies come with two discs: One for the movies and one for the extras. UMD movies can be the same way. Include two discs. One for the feature film and one for the extras.

BuddyC said:
I was messing around with Twisted Metal: Head On, and sure enough, you can play story mode online. Two player coop.

I remember the IGN review saying there's no co-op. Maybe you unlocked the mode through the 1 player mode?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
BuddyC said:

OMFG.

Hey, how does online work? Same name across games? Different name every time, etc?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You can play online story mode co-op? HALO 2 doesn't even do that! Twisted Metal > Halo 2 :lol

Has anyone seen Ape Escape in stores yet? They only got Twisted Metal where I am today.

Scoobert

Mrbob said:
I want to touch on the movie aspect for a moment. I don't buy that UMD discs are not big enough to fit extras in UMD movies. Many DVD movies come with two discs: One for the movies and one for the extras. UMD movies can be the same way. Include two discs. One for the feature film and one for the extras.

Any word if House of Flying Daggers is 2 UMD's? I don't understand why its so much more money, and using 2 UMD's might be the reason. Using a 2nd UMD might drive up the costs. Other than that, I have no clue.

Scoobert

Oh and if you preordered at EBgames, call them up soon because they should already know if they are opening up early for the 24th.

BuddyC

Musashi Wins! said:
OMFG.

Hey, how does online work? Same name across games? Different name every time, etc?
It's just like PS2 online, different name/account for each game.

My cheap digicam is proving itself incapable of taking a focused picture, so I apologize for these. This feels like posting a picture of your girfriend on HotorNot immediately after she's been in a horrible car accident.

coop1.jpg

coop2.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My EB scared the crap out of me yesterday. I was in paying off the rest of my balance, and for the hell of it, asked the guy where I was on the list (even though I've had no doubt I would get one at launch). He seemed really apprehensive to tell me and took his sweet time counting up all the names on the list. Turns out I'm #62 and they're expecting 70-100 PSPs (both of these numbers are bigger than I expected - this is a small, new EB). He also said a few people pre-ordered multiple, however they'll only be getting one. But he said he just can't guarantee I'll get one on Thursday, "until they actually open the box".

Shouldn't they know by know exactly how many they're getting in? Or are they just being overly cautious?

Scoobert

Yes every EB knows exactly how many PSP's they're getting for the 24th. The thing is theres a little math involved to figure it out. I'm guessing your EB is not so good at the numbers. :lol

All I know is that within my district, every EB is getting enough PSP's for nearly all preorders, even as late as last week preorders. Take away all the multiple PSP's have preordered or the ones who will cancel, I know we will have enough for the ones we told they would have to wait for the 2nd shipment.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Scoobert said:
Yes every EB knows exactly how many PSP's they're getting for the 24th. The thing is theres a little math involved to figure it out. I'm guessing your EB is not so good at the numbers. :lol

All I know is that within my district, every EB is getting enough PSP's for nearly all preorders, even as late as last week preorders. Take away all the multiple PSP's have preordered or the ones who will cancel, I know we will have enough for the ones we told they would have to wait for the 2nd shipment.

They know how many they are getting because they already have them in.

ManaByte said:
They know how many they are getting because they already have them in.
My EB doesn't have them in, they have allocation tables for the whole district, and everyone is getting more than they had preorders for. DM said that if there aren't enough preorders to cover the allocated units, the extras are being taken away.

newsguy

BuddyC said:

I picked mine up today as well. I can't get it online though, it tells me the servers aren't up and to try again later.

Edit that, I got on and it was smooth as butter!!! I suck though :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
zackattack said:
My EB doesn't have them in, they have allocation tables for the whole district, and everyone is getting more than they had preorders for. DM said that if there aren't enough preorders to cover the allocated units, the extras are being taken away.

The Gamestop across the street from me has had them in for almost a week.

Nester

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just bought Twisted Metal Head On for $15 at Ebgames. Again, if you're short on cash, EBgames has a promotion where you can trade in 3 Xbox/PS2/GC eligible games and get a free 1st party PSP game free. The cool thing is that Gamestop is offering a buy 2, get 1 used game free deal right now. So I paid $15 in used games and traded those 3 for a PSP game.

I'm gonna go scout some more games during the week and pick up a few more PSP games

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pedigree Chum said:
Fuck, finally unbanned. Anyways, I'll be picking up TM next week (school sucks), hope to play some of you online at some point.

BTW: When is Mercury due out? Every site has a different release date for it, isn't it already done and gone gold?

I'd like to know too, as I have that and MGA preordered and I don't want a delay in one holding up both.

Nester

Does anyone know what the deal is at EB when you trade in an Game Boy Advance SP and a couple games to get X amount towards a PSP? I just called asking about something else and the guy mentioned the deal but didn't really know the full details on it. He thought it was The SP plus 4 or 5 games for $100.00 in credit towards a PSP. A friend of mine might go for a PSP if he finds out the actual details of the offer.

Ironclad

For anybody who hasn't ordered their memory stick yet, bestbuy has the "gaming" sticks on sale with free shipping. They are taking preorders on the memory sticks the ETA is 24th-31st unless you pay for your shipping.

Link

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Really disappointed that my 1.0gb Sandisk hasn't shipped yet (not from BB). It'll take a miracle for it to arrive in time for the PSP. *sobs*

Is a 512 mb memory stick big enough to hold a full length movie? I know a 1 gb stick can hold a lot more, but if I can get by with the 512...

Amir0x

Banned
So, today I saw a PSP for the first time in person. Didn't get to touch it, mind you, but I saw it - it was on. In front of me!

Mrjellybeanct said:
Is a 512 mb memory stick big enough to hold a full length movie? I know a 1 gb stick can hold a lot more, but if I can get by with the 512...

Someone ripped a good quality version of Monsters Inc. for around 400MB. Monsters Inc. is 90min.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
Someone ripped a good quality version of Monsters Inc. for around 400MB. Monsters Inc. is 90min.

You could probably get it even smaller, possibly down to around 200MB if you lower the audio quality. You don't need 5.1 sound or the highest CD quality audio.

Thanks, hmm now I need to decide if I go for the 512 now or hold out for a while and get a 1 gb. I'm buying the system mainly for the games, but the movie aspect is pretty nifty the more I think about it.

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:
You could probably get it even smaller, possibly down to around 200MB if you lower the audio quality. You don't need 5.1 sound or the highest CD quality audio.

I need it! I'm anal.

sirris

Has anyone been able to compare the Japanese Version screen to the US Version screen?
There was word that they switched manufacturing companies for cheaper costing screens and the question of color vibrance between the two was called into question on some other forums I visit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sirris said:
Has anyone been able to compare the Japanese Version screen to the US Version screen?
There was word that they switched manufacturing companies for cheaper costing screens and the question of color vibrance between the two was called into question on some other forums I visit.

This rumor needs to die

And no there is no difference between the two

ManaByte

Gold Member
sirris said:

Would those forums be Gamefaqs and the IGN GameCube (or DS) boards?

It's false. There is no difference between the two screens.

sirris said:

Prediction: In the year 2099 this will be a banable post.

Top Bottom